Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#666367 - 07/31/21 05:09 AM [User Showcase] NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"...
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

SONG TITLE : "MY GRANDAD"....
***WARNING .... DUE TO SO MANY DIFFERENT PLAYBACK SYSTEMS.....KEEP YOUR LEVELS DOWN TILL YOU GET COMFORTABLE WITH THE SONG***

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/grandadcalfl2016

ARTIST : moi..ALF-L..(a lad from london (c) 2016)
(i like to sing in lots of different vocal "styles". this is one of them...please use good earbuds. apologies if the listener hates the song.)

DETAILS :
1. this is a song very very dear to my heart. and, in fact when i was creating the song/recording i was very very emotional and tearfull often as i miss my grandparents so very much...who were wonderfull kind people that lived in london uk.
if you listen closely to the vocs youll notice in some places my vocs cracked a bit. so..instead of going for perfect vocs i decided to keep the honest emotion in the song.
(biab/rb/reaper was used in the creation of the song.)
i still can only play the song occasionally cos i get so emotional as it reminds me of so many good times when i was a kid.
2. the song is about how , when i was a little kid...my grandad would take me to see West Ham United football team play in their old Boleyn ground in east london uk. and i would get comics too.
then...after the match we would take home a present for my grannie.
in summary, for me its a song that brings back wonderfull memories.
3. please tell me what you think of the outtro fade.
it was an attempt to create a nostalgic sound picture by the vocal stacked repeats. right at the end of the song i say..."ITS A GOAL GRANDAD". i used to get so excited when my team scored...lol.
i'll leave the song up on soundcloud for a few days and see if there is any interest.
feel free to critique...i'm a big boy.
4. the hammers just finished one of their best seasons ever in the premier league.
the team has a fascinating history.
(just google/wikipaedia etc.)
best
oldmuso (a lad from london.)

Edited by justanoldmuso (07/31/21 05:29 AM)

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/tracks

#666375 - 07/31/21 05:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Love your style, ALF-L!. Even my ears had tears on this one. So glad you had such magic moments in your life. Mine was my GREAT grandmother. Really, man, chills. Yeah, I dig the ending fade. It's as if the memories seem to drift off, but you come back in with a loud "It's as goal, Grandad!" to show they never do. Well done.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 10

#666391 - 07/31/21 06:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Expert

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Alf,

Yes this brings back good memories for me as well - my old Dad used to take me down to Highbury on Saturdays to watch Arsenal play.

Enjoyed your song.

Best Regards
Nigel

#666446 - 07/31/21 03:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
It's a good vocal performance and the steady guitar is good too.
Perhaps too steady - there's a lack of dynamics and some sections where the strumming is all there is, expects a lot of the listener.

The outro...works well though the "little kid" voice lack the excitement I'd expect.

With t, hat said I really like it.

#666450 - 07/31/21 03:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: rayc]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

thanks everyone for the comments and listening.
fyi..ive also sung opera in the past..lmao.
happiness to all.
om

#666454 - 07/31/21 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Enjoyed!!.. loved the organ filling it up, this is like a clean song in the style of Kevin Bloody wilson Minted mouth organ !! .

Well put together !.

Thanks

#666457 - 07/31/21 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
A good, honest story-song. Plenty of emotion there without too much saccharine.
The fade-out works well. Thanks for sharing

#666536 - 08/01/21 07:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Ghostgum]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Ghostgum.
yep...no saccharine....i didnt want to overdo it.
fyi i miss my grandparents terribly.
thanks for listening.
best
om

#666566 - 08/01/21 11:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: United States
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: United States
justanoldmuso,

The little personal intro was a very nice touch! Great job of telling a story here! As I mentioned in the last post of yours, your material reminds me so much of Ringo and I LOVE it! Great job on the tune! Thanks, Torrey

#666654 - 08/02/21 06:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Torrey Bliss]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Torrey Bliss
thanks for listening/commenting.
fyi...i really wrestled with the song.
ie how complex or simple to do the production.
its a debate i often have with myself..lol.

one of my songwriting tenets is...am i putting
"lipstick on a pig".
my theory is a song should communicate and work with a few traks...this is stuff i learnt from big studios once.
best
oldmuso

#666672 - 08/02/21 08:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Love your intro. Set the song perfectly. Brought back some very nice memories. Loved your vocal. Reminded me of Peter Noone.

Not sure what DAW you are using. There are some free and reasonably priced level meters you can add to your mix buss. If you mix to K14. You will be safe with levels. Soundcloud will level balance your mixes and can take the life out of them if they are too loud...

#666791 - 08/03/21 06:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Scott C]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Scott C.
thanks for listening.
the vocs are just one of many voc styles i use depending
on what i feel the song needs.

fyi daws i use are reaps/biab/rb.
re "K"
in reaps when i mixdown...normally its to -0.3db
but i'm gonna try the "K" approach next chance i get.
see what gives.
happiness to you.
om

Edited by justanoldmuso (08/03/21 06:07 AM)

#667302 - 08/06/21 10:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Sweden
Alexander Paul Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Sweden
I really like the build-up of the song, from simply talking to an arrangement that would work in a large venue. I think the outro works well also, even though I personally try to avoid fade-outs. As a United fan I'm sorry we didn't allow you to keep Lingard :-)

#667386 - 08/07/21 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Alexander Paul]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Alexander.
thanks for listening.
re lingard...he did so well for WHU didnt he ?
i think he felt limited at Man U.
thats a big loss for the hammers.
WHU are a funny team...one week they beat a big team,
and next loose to a poor team.
used to bug my grandad no end when he was alive.

happiness to you.
om

#667431 - 08/07/21 04:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
A fantastic intro and outtro. It must have been very difficult to sing this one; I could feel the pain in your vocal.

Outstanding vocal, lyrics, backing tracks, and mix.

Loved it - IMHO this is your best to date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#667437 - 08/07/21 05:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
What a wonderful tribute!

I really like the song construction and the instrumentation. I can hear this a a really good pub song.

Reminds me a bit of Ray Davies.

I enjoyed this!

#667445 - 08/07/21 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

Muso,
A very nice musical tribute. Smooth singing - spoken word transitions. Solid backing. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. Grandparents are the best!

#667511 - 08/08/21 07:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Rustyspoon#]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

thanks everyone for listening and commenting.
yes it was a very difficult song to do emotionally.
happiness to all.
om
ps my next song is different/funny/zany...i'll post in a couple of days. all about aliens.
song is called "Intergalactic rocking spaceship"...lmao

#667562 - 08/08/21 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
We, too, spent much time with our grandparents and can very much appreciate your tribute.

The story was well told indeed and we thought the builds in the production were very effective.

Thanks for the journey back!

J&B

#667577 - 08/08/21 03:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Janice & Bud]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

janice/bud.
i encourage any comments from you both... negative or positive....given your both so very talented.
yes the relationship with ones grandparents is a very special one.
i dont want to sound nuts...but sometimes i feel they are like guardian angels watching over my wife and i.

the very best to you/happiness.
oldmuso.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
The XPro & Xtra Styles PAKs Special Ends September 30th!

Amp up your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 experience when you add XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs... on sale until September 30th!

XPro Styles PAKs are styles that work with any version (Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition) of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). We offer 3 PAKs, and each PAK includes over 100 styles!

Xtra Styles PAKs are styles that work with the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). There are 13 PAKs available, with over 100 styles in each PAK!

They're all on sale only September 30th!
Each PAK can be purchased for $29 (reg. $49)... Order XPro Styles PAKS | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

How to: Using the New Download and Install Manager to Install on macOS

In this video we show you how to use the new Band-in-a-Box® Download And Install Manager to install Band-in-a-Box® 2022 on macOS: Installing Band-in-a-Box® On macOS Using The New Download And Install Manager

Learn more about this feature.

Special Offer! XPro Styles PAKs on sale until September 30, 2022!

XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 offers 300 more RealStyles to supercharge your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition! All of these styles are professionally mixed and include genres like jazz, country, bluegrass, pop, singer/songwriter, rock, and more. For you Pro and MegaPAK users, the XPro Styles PAK 3 also includes 35 additional RealTracks (a $200+ value) that are not included with the Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro or MegaPAK. XPro Styles PAKs are only $29 each (reg $49) until September 30th!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: XPro Styles PAKs work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Special Offer! Save on Xtra Styles PAKs until September 30, 2022!

Until September 30th, save over 40% on our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 with over 2,200 RealStyles (and 35 MIDI Styles)! Each set is on sale for $29 or get them all in the Xtra Styles PAK 1-13 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)!

Expand your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with Xtra Styles PAKs! These Xtra Styles PAKs will add TONS of imaginative styles to your collection, spanning several genres like jazz, rock, bluegrass, country, pop, blues, singer/songwriter, and more! Every RealStyle is professionally mixed and uses a unique arrangement that has never been used by our previous styles. We have even included several MultiStyles that include up to ten substyles each for your advanced arrangements! Spend less time mixing and more time creating, with Xtra Styles PAKs!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: These Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2022. They won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the 2022 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

Endorsing Artist Nick Kellie is a long-time Band-in-a-Box® user - here's what he has to say about the program, along with some of his sessions demoing his use of Band-in-a-Box® backing tracks: Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

"Band-in-a-Box is an indispensable tool for any practicing musician. I can think of any chord progression imaginable and it can do it. It has helped me to hone my skills as a soloist and as a rhythm player."
- Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® User Tip - Generate a RealTracks Solo Using the Silence RealTrack Instead of Mute

Our Forums are full of enthusiastic and long time Band-in-a-Box® users, so it's no surprise when they post a handy tip for fellow program users.

Like this one, Generate a RealTracks Solo using the Silence RealTrack instead of Mute

What a time saving tip to share with everyone - thanks Charlie!

Interested reading other program tips, or share your own? Head to our Tips and Tricks forum to join in on the conversation.

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Gabriel Mark Hasselbach

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by Endorsing Artist Gabriel Mark Hasselbach: https://youtu.be/86DOXpAbf7I

"I have been using Band-in-a-Box since my Atari days and the program has grown and blossomed like a hothouse flower! My history of 10 Billboard hits, 14 albums, Juno awards, Album of the Year Award, and JazzWeek charting has all been interwoven with Band in the Box. A great tool for songwriting, arranging, preproduction, and even finished projects. Visionary work PG Music!"
- Gabriel Mark Hasselbach

Learn more about Gabriel Mark Hasselbach.

Forum Stats
36544 Members
64 Forums
75717 Topics
667274 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Fbiss, MSC, chascarter, muzakman, bvi

36544 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 165
MarioD 122