Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#666367 - 07/31/21 05:09 AM [User Showcase] NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"...
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

SONG TITLE : "MY GRANDAD"....
***WARNING .... DUE TO SO MANY DIFFERENT PLAYBACK SYSTEMS.....KEEP YOUR LEVELS DOWN TILL YOU GET COMFORTABLE WITH THE SONG***

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/grandadcalfl2016

ARTIST : moi..ALF-L..(a lad from london (c) 2016)
(i like to sing in lots of different vocal "styles". this is one of them...please use good earbuds. apologies if the listener hates the song.)

DETAILS :
1. this is a song very very dear to my heart. and, in fact when i was creating the song/recording i was very very emotional and tearfull often as i miss my grandparents so very much...who were wonderfull kind people that lived in london uk.
if you listen closely to the vocs youll notice in some places my vocs cracked a bit. so..instead of going for perfect vocs i decided to keep the honest emotion in the song.
(biab/rb/reaper was used in the creation of the song.)
i still can only play the song occasionally cos i get so emotional as it reminds me of so many good times when i was a kid.
2. the song is about how , when i was a little kid...my grandad would take me to see West Ham United football team play in their old Boleyn ground in east london uk. and i would get comics too.
then...after the match we would take home a present for my grannie.
in summary, for me its a song that brings back wonderfull memories.
3. please tell me what you think of the outtro fade.
it was an attempt to create a nostalgic sound picture by the vocal stacked repeats. right at the end of the song i say..."ITS A GOAL GRANDAD". i used to get so excited when my team scored...lol.
i'll leave the song up on soundcloud for a few days and see if there is any interest.
feel free to critique...i'm a big boy.
4. the hammers just finished one of their best seasons ever in the premier league.
the team has a fascinating history.
(just google/wikipaedia etc.)
best
oldmuso (a lad from london.)

Edited by justanoldmuso (07/31/21 05:29 AM)

#666375 - 07/31/21 05:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Love your style, ALF-L!. Even my ears had tears on this one. So glad you had such magic moments in your life. Mine was my GREAT grandmother. Really, man, chills. Yeah, I dig the ending fade. It's as if the memories seem to drift off, but you come back in with a loud "It's as goal, Grandad!" to show they never do. Well done.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 9

#666391 - 07/31/21 06:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Expert

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Alf,

Yes this brings back good memories for me as well - my old Dad used to take me down to Highbury on Saturdays to watch Arsenal play.

Enjoyed your song.

Best Regards
Nigel

#666446 - 07/31/21 03:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
It's a good vocal performance and the steady guitar is good too.
Perhaps too steady - there's a lack of dynamics and some sections where the strumming is all there is, expects a lot of the listener.

The outro...works well though the "little kid" voice lack the excitement I'd expect.

With t, hat said I really like it.

#666450 - 07/31/21 03:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: rayc]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

thanks everyone for the comments and listening.
fyi..ive also sung opera in the past..lmao.
happiness to all.
om

#666454 - 07/31/21 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
beatmaster Offline
Expert

Enjoyed!!.. loved the organ filling it up, this is like a clean song in the style of Kevin Bloody wilson Minted mouth organ !! .

Well put together !.

Thanks

#666457 - 07/31/21 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: SA, Australia
Ghostgum Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SA, Australia
A good, honest story-song. Plenty of emotion there without too much saccharine.
The fade-out works well. Thanks for sharing

#666536 - 08/01/21 07:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Ghostgum]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Ghostgum.
yep...no saccharine....i didnt want to overdo it.
fyi i miss my grandparents terribly.
thanks for listening.
best
om

#666566 - 08/01/21 11:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: United States
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: United States
justanoldmuso,

The little personal intro was a very nice touch! Great job of telling a story here! As I mentioned in the last post of yours, your material reminds me so much of Ringo and I LOVE it! Great job on the tune! Thanks, Torrey

#666654 - 08/02/21 06:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Torrey Bliss]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Torrey Bliss
thanks for listening/commenting.
fyi...i really wrestled with the song.
ie how complex or simple to do the production.
its a debate i often have with myself..lol.

one of my songwriting tenets is...am i putting
"lipstick on a pig".
my theory is a song should communicate and work with a few traks...this is stuff i learnt from big studios once.
best
oldmuso

#666672 - 08/02/21 08:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Love your intro. Set the song perfectly. Brought back some very nice memories. Loved your vocal. Reminded me of Peter Noone.

Not sure what DAW you are using. There are some free and reasonably priced level meters you can add to your mix buss. If you mix to K14. You will be safe with levels. Soundcloud will level balance your mixes and can take the life out of them if they are too loud...

#666791 - 08/03/21 06:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Scott C]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Scott C.
thanks for listening.
the vocs are just one of many voc styles i use depending
on what i feel the song needs.

fyi daws i use are reaps/biab/rb.
re "K"
in reaps when i mixdown...normally its to -0.3db
but i'm gonna try the "K" approach next chance i get.
see what gives.
happiness to you.
om

Edited by justanoldmuso (08/03/21 06:07 AM)

#667302 - 08/06/21 10:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Sweden
Alexander Paul Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Sweden
I really like the build-up of the song, from simply talking to an arrangement that would work in a large venue. I think the outro works well also, even though I personally try to avoid fade-outs. As a United fan I'm sorry we didn't allow you to keep Lingard :-)

#667386 - 08/07/21 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Alexander Paul]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Alexander.
thanks for listening.
re lingard...he did so well for WHU didnt he ?
i think he felt limited at Man U.
thats a big loss for the hammers.
WHU are a funny team...one week they beat a big team,
and next loose to a poor team.
used to bug my grandad no end when he was alive.

happiness to you.
om

#667431 - 08/07/21 04:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
A fantastic intro and outtro. It must have been very difficult to sing this one; I could feel the pain in your vocal.

Outstanding vocal, lyrics, backing tracks, and mix.

Loved it - IMHO this is your best to date!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#667437 - 08/07/21 05:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
What a wonderful tribute!

I really like the song construction and the instrumentation. I can hear this a a really good pub song.

Reminds me a bit of Ray Davies.

I enjoyed this!

#667445 - 08/07/21 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Muso,
A very nice musical tribute. Smooth singing - spoken word transitions. Solid backing. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. Grandparents are the best!

#667511 - 08/08/21 07:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Rustyspoon#]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

thanks everyone for listening and commenting.
yes it was a very difficult song to do emotionally.
happiness to all.
om
ps my next song is different/funny/zany...i'll post in a couple of days. all about aliens.
song is called "Intergalactic rocking spaceship"...lmao

#667562 - 08/08/21 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
We, too, spent much time with our grandparents and can very much appreciate your tribute.

The story was well told indeed and we thought the builds in the production were very effective.

Thanks for the journey back!

J&B

#667577 - 08/08/21 03:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG. "MY GRANDAD"... [Re: Janice & Bud]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

janice/bud.
i encourage any comments from you both... negative or positive....given your both so very talented.
yes the relationship with ones grandparents is a very special one.
i dont want to sound nuts...but sometimes i feel they are like guardian angels watching over my wife and i.

the very best to you/happiness.
oldmuso.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

How to: Why Does My Song Keep Looping in Band-in-a-Box®?

Your Band-in-a-Box® song is looping, and you don't want it to - what do you do?

Fortunately, this is a program setting that can be adjusted - see how this is done: Band-in-a-Box®: Why Does My Song Keep Looping?

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

(Additional Song Preferences you might also find useful: Global Song Overrides)

How to: Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Did you know that you can copy the chords and other details of your Band-in-a-Box song into a document? We show you how in this video: How to Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Learn more about this feature: Online Manual - Copy/Paste Chords as Simple Text

Forum Stats
36172 Members
64 Forums
74780 Topics
656718 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Gorkin, wshutts, Mindi, ebbot, Blaulichtschutz

36172 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 244