I have just been playing in BIAB Standalone with the new UTILITY TRACKS feature to try out importing about 4-5 audio stems from a singer songwriter's project I'm tasked to breathe life into.

the regen times - for a single chorus - are short enough in standalone (could always be shorter but I can live with it) ie quick enough to be able to try out many different BIAB real track styles to get ideas.

Its clearly going to be really useful using these utility tracks for imported audio track stems in BIAB standalone.

But until the underlying technology changes in the BIAB DAW plugin - the regen times - the **WAITING!!!** inside the plugin are simply far too long to make working similarly - for me at least, and I suspect most others who use DAWs professionally and for whom time is money... inside a DAW.

Of course the advantage of the plugin Is one doesn't need to Import existing vocal stems etc into the plugin at all. They can just stay in the host DAW.

So for BIAB 2022 either the entire regen code and engine needs to be moved INSIDE the DAW plugin - or an interprocess audio streaming scheme needs to be put in place so the BIAB song generated into RAM ( as it is in BIAB standalone ) can be streamed directly from the BB4 daemon app to the plugin without the time hogging writing to disk and reading from disk that currently goes on. In effect making the BB4 app into a kind of "Server" - similar to Vienna Ensemble Pro.

There's also some thing else to consider once BIAB has an option of a client-server type architecture - namely some of the kinds of instrument plugins used for BIAB MIDI stuff that make use of big sampler libraries could also be hosted inside such a server permanently and used in similar fashion to Vienna Ensemble Pro but in the form of those old GM sound modules- ie switchable via MIDI PC and bank change messages. ( VEP sadly doesn't do this ... ( yet ... ) )

If Peter Gannon is interested I actually have some old shelved code for a GM2/XG/Korg PA or Tyros type hardware arranger type sound set type sound module type plugin server written in C++ with JUCE and I am happy to discuss the idea of PG making use of this IP in some form. I used as sound set the Kontakt instrument libraries for the now defunct NI plugin BANDSTAND for test and proof of principle purposes and they worked well ( but are now discontinued. Nowadays any big sample instruments, Ivory, Spitfire, KOMPLETE etc would work well.

It would be much more realistic and speedy way of working when using MIDI styles than the currently used Sforzando with its HQ sounds.

Last edited by nonchai; 08/11/21 02:16 AM.

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda