Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#668844 - 08/17/21 11:16 AM [Off-Topic] If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it?
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

I'm working on a project that began as a Logic rendering of a Beatles MIDI downloaded from the Internet sometime in the 90s.

At some point, I took all the parts and inverted them, melodically, using Logic's MIDI transform function. To my surprise, the result was surprisingly musical, and required only a little adjustment to sound like a decent pop song. Now, every ascending passage descends and vice versa, and a bouncy major key has become a fairly grim minor.

I like it. But who wrote it?

I can't say I did, for obvious reasons.

But the result is a distinctly different piece of music from the original, and, really, not one to be reasonably (or fairly) credited to Lennon and McCartney.

I wonder about the general ethics / esthetics involved here, given that it's theoretically possible to produce a steady stream of "original" compositions this way.

#668850 - 08/17/21 11:29 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
There's a lot of similar videos on YouTube about "inverting" songs so-to-speak. I don't see a problem with this but I'm sure someone out there would take issue.... they always do. smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10 PRO, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#668855 - 08/17/21 12:29 PM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: Wauconda, Il.
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

What! You have an original song written by the Beatles which was never published? grin

Or...

Steve Jobs was quoted saying... "good artists borrow and great artists steal." However, he probably stole that quote from Picasso… who probably took it from Stravinsky. crazy We stand on the shoulders of giants as we move forward in life.

SoundCloud

#668915 - 08/18/21 07:17 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
I don't know. If you want advice, contact a lawyer versed in copyright law.

I do know that in classical music, inversion of a theme is a legit method of developing the song.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#668917 - 08/18/21 07:51 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

So.... essentially, if you hadn't said a word about it, no one would have ever guessed where you got the inspiration from..... is that correct?

If it's not an obvious rip-off.... I don't think it's considered stealing. I see it as processing something through the filter of your brain both conscious and subconscious, and getting a unique outcome. But again.... I'm not a lawyer versed in copyright law. If no one recognizes it as having other origins.... it's obviously an original. That's how I look at it.

The secret is to take what you hear from others and make it your own in such a way that the one who inspired the idea doesn't recognize it as something they did in one form or another. We all do this constantly.

Chord progressions, as everyone knows, are not copyrightable. And if you reversed it, and have a different melody, which would obviously be the case, I think you're in the clear. You're under no obligation to even mention it or give credit to the "other" song or writer unless you simply want to let folks like in this forum know how it was achieved. I don't think I would have even done that. Just a simple..... here's a new song. Done

Edit: the only way I could see trouble brewing in a legal sense is if you sampled the original, reversed it and used it. That is a copyright violation. But.... if you don't do that, there's nothing to worry about.

Edited by Guitarhacker (08/18/21 07:53 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#668939 - 08/18/21 10:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Guitarhacker: "So.... essentially, if you hadn't said a word about it, no one would have ever guessed where you got the inspiration from..... is that correct?"

I guess that would depend on the listener; some people can hear things like that! But essentially, yeah. I'm not thinking of anything you could call an "interpretation" of the original, as a normal listener would hear it. A normal listener can recognize a theme in a different key, or a different mode, but not inverted.

But regardless of normal listeners and recognizeability, it's a trivial matter to reverse-engineer a reversed piece back into the original. And I don't know how such things actually play out in courts, but I can imagine a lawyer playing a contested song on a laptop and showing how you just do "select all" then take a certain menu option and suddenly you're listening to "Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Head" – and the jury going, whoa, it's the same song.

I suppose what you do to finesse the legal situation is take your inversion of "Raindrops" and call it something like "Neutrons Keep Shooting From the Ground" where the listener will get the winky-winky meaning.

In terms of "obligations", I would just feel dishonest if I presented such as I've described as completely original material. Plus it would be too easy to get caught, once any suspicions were raised!

#668940 - 08/18/21 11:05 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

ecilA morf dnalrednoW thgim wonk eht rewsna.

#668942 - 08/18/21 11:23 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Rustyspoon#]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

Good idea Misha. Mark, can you upload the song in question for a brief period, to this very select audience, to allow us to see if we recognize it from the Beatles catalog?

SoundCloud

#668943 - 08/18/21 11:31 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: MusicStudent]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

Good idea Misha. Mark, can you upload the song in question for a brief period, to this very select audience, to allow us to see if we recognize it from the Beatles catalog?

Sure! I was of course thinking of doing that, but didn't want to if the discussion never took off.

https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/inversion

To complicate things even further, the MIDI that I started out with says it is "(C)1996 by Eiko & Nobuo Takenaka". Not sure how that works, considering that these are note-for-note transcriptions of the original Beatles performances, but I certainly owe those folks a lot of credit here.

#668944 - 08/18/21 11:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Inverting a Beatles' song has already been done. It played "Paul is dead"!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#668946 - 08/18/21 11:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
The rhythm of the resulting song melody would be identical to the original, correct? You’re doing a vertical mirror image, not a horizontal one?
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#668951 - 08/18/21 11:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Matt Finley]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The rhythm of the resulting song melody would be identical to the original, correct? You’re doing a vertical mirror image, not a horizontal one?

Correct, I didn't mess with that at all.

#668953 - 08/18/21 11:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: MarioD]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Inverting a Beatles' song has already been done. It played "Paul is dead"!

Mister Ed the Talking Horse got in trouble when his TV show theme was exposed as containing backwards Satanic messages. Here's the song reversed, if you try hard, you really can hear "someone sung this song for Satan" and "the source is the devil".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHbHpz3KwnM

#668955 - 08/18/21 11:56 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I don't recognize it. I might have figured out that it was reversed, or maybe not. There's only a few places that sound like they are reverse audio.

I was going to capture it but couldn't figure out how.... so I can't reverse it to unlock the magic .... oh well.

It's actually pretty cool sounding. The only thing is that the melody line.... that flute sounding thing..... if it's the original melody to the song, if reversed would give it away.... then your simple solution is to delete that midi track and create your own. It becomes totally unidentifiable at that point I would assume.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#668957 - 08/18/21 12:02 PM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Guitarhacker]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Guitarhacker, thanks for the listen! To be clear, the lines are inverted, not reversed.

#668964 - 08/18/21 12:31 PM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

I got nothing! I would have to analyze the notes very carefully to ID the origin and I'm likely not one who could do it. Thanks for sharing. grin

SoundCloud

#668993 - 08/18/21 02:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mi., USA
OK, I'll say it, if anyone bothered to look you'd get caught.
ie, if I wrote a song and you inverted it, it would catch my attention enough to notice (IF I heard it).

Not many Beatles left to worry about these days, and I doubt they are on your Soundcloud channel <grin>

Simply knowing it was a Beatles song tipped me off enough to know it was familiar, let alone if it was a song I wrote.

I'd still have to re-engineer it back to prove anything, but that would be the easy part if I had the same tools.

#669016 - 08/18/21 04:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

This be the song it came from... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjTO0yZQjk

#669022 - 08/18/21 05:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
This be the song it came from... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjTO0yZQjk

PS – Another "conceptual" thing I considered was taking the original recording, isolating the vocal and fixing one long and horribly flat note of Paul's that's been bothering me for 50 years now. But then a voice from deep within my soul said: NO, DO NOT GO THERE, and I didn't even let myself try it for chuckles and yucks – I didn't want that corrected version in my head!

#669065 - 08/19/21 12:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: If I turn somebody else's song upside down, who wrote it? [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Gerry Beckley took the song "Till The Sun Comes Up Again", ran it backwards and came up with "Now Sue".

Of course, since he wrote "Till The Sun Comes Up Again", he avoids issues of authorship.

As you said, you can't really say that you wrote it.

Although the Beatles didn't write the melody, it would reasonably and fairly be credited to Lennon and McCartney.

From a legal perspective, it's "derivative work" - deriving new content from existing material.

I can't take credit for this statement - someone on this Reddit thread wrote it, making my own comment here a derivative work. wink

There in fact was a case where someone sued a songwriter for using the reverse version of his melody.

That case didn't succeed. But a case against your version of this song undoubtably would.

Quote:
To establish copyright infringement, you must establish that you own a valid copyright in the work and that:

• The work has been copied; and
  • The copy is “substantially similar” to the protectable elements of the original work.

There's no doubt that the work has been copied. It's rhythmically identical to the original melody, with the intervals exactly inverted.

So it's a copy that's substantially similar.

While The Beatles didn't compose the work, the derivative relies entirely on their creative work - none of it could exist without the source material, and the resulting material lacks anything that creatively transforms it.

It's a bit like taking a photograph of the Mona Lisa, and claiming the negative of the painting is your own creative work.

Sure, it was "transformed" - but every element of that transformed painting came from the painter, even if it's an inversion of some of those creative choices.

Since the derivative work is 100% built on a melody by Lennon and McCartney, not crediting them for the result would simply be wrong, as you'd be passing off someone else's work as your own.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

Forum Stats
35014 Members
66 Forums
71318 Topics
618689 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
RickRails, Jamx888, saraj176, deepee, Bob McKillop

35014 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 259