You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#668977 - 08/18/21 01:29 PM [Beginners Forum] Playing a pattern in Stylemaker
dnuttle Offline

I am trying to understand Stylemaker. I have watched an ancient (7 years ago) video on YT about it that says that I can open the Stylemaker, choose bass, click on one of the patterns, hit the Play button in Stylemaker, and I will hear that pattern repeated over and over (along with the other instruments), over two bars. The video demonstrates this and yeah, it's just that one pattern repeating.

That's now what I've gotten. First, if I just start a new song, and then open Stylemaker, choose a pattern and hit Play, I get nothing at all. If I first play the new song (which apparently generates one bar in C), stop it, then click on Stylemaker's Play button...I hear the song. Not a single pattern, but the whole song. Same if I open a song I've been working on. No matter what instrument and pattern I select in the Stylemaker, when I hit the Stylemaker play button (or hit F4), I just hear the song play.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

#668979 - 08/18/21 01:36 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Playing a pattern in Stylemaker [Re: dnuttle]
dnuttle Offline

Sorry, I meant "that's NOT what I've gotten."

#669078 - 08/19/21 06:00 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Playing a pattern in Stylemaker [Re: dnuttle]
Chantelle - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Welcome to the forums dnuttle! Just to confirm, you are using the Windows 2021 version? Or Mac? Also, are you trying to make a custom Style with MIDI or RealTracks? The StyleMaker is only meant for MIDI.

#669098 - 08/19/21 08:29 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Playing a pattern in Stylemaker [Re: dnuttle]
dnuttle Offline

Hi Chantelle and thanks for responding. I am using 2021 on Windows. I opened a song that uses the style _J410_BD.STY, "Evans Jazz Trio." Then I clicked on the Stylemaker button, and chose Edit Current Style. I see the Stylemaker window open, and I can click on Bass, for example, and see a bunch of cells, that mostly have 5's in them.

So I'm not working on a custom style at this point. I can't use Stylemaker on a style that includes RealTracks? Maybe this is just a fundamental misunderstanding on my part. If this is correct, does that mean that RealTracks have their own, pre-recorded patterns that can't be altered? I was under the (possibly wildly optimistic) apprehension that even RealTracks could be "re-styled."

How do I identify styles that I can use in Stylemaker?

#669106 - 08/19/21 09:35 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Playing a pattern in Stylemaker [Re: dnuttle]
Loc: Wauconda
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Wauconda
Quote:
... does that mean that RealTracks have their own, pre-recorded patterns that can't be altered?
Bingo smile

#669138 - 08/19/21 01:35 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Playing a pattern in Stylemaker [Re: dnuttle]
Chantelle - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

You can make a custom Style using RealTracks, but they will not follow a specific entered pattern. RealTracks are always automatically generated and cannot be edited like MIDI can.

First, make sure you have all of the RealTracks that you would like in your custom Style loaded into the mixer. Then in the RealTracks Picker click on the [Save Style] button. Make sure you save your Style to the styles folder - where all of your other Styles are stored. Finally, open the Style Picker, click the Rebuild button, and do a Slow Rebuild.

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

#669317 - 08/21/21 03:56 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Playing a pattern in Stylemaker [Re: dnuttle]
Loc: Europe
Dzjang Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Europe
@dnuttle if you want more info on making midi styles, I can tell you more about it. Realstyles, though, different thing altogether.

In my opinion, making your own styles or tweaking midi styles is certainly worth it, but that’s just my opinion, smile

Have fun

PG Music News
The XPro & Xtra Styles PAKs Special Ends September 30th!

Amp up your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 experience when you add XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs... on sale until September 30th!

XPro Styles PAKs are styles that work with any version (Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition) of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). We offer 3 PAKs, and each PAK includes over 100 styles!

Xtra Styles PAKs are styles that work with the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). There are 13 PAKs available, with over 100 styles in each PAK!

They're all on sale only September 30th!
Each PAK can be purchased for $29 (reg. $49)... Order XPro Styles PAKS | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

How to: Using the New Download and Install Manager to Install on macOS

In this video we show you how to use the new Band-in-a-Box® Download And Install Manager to install Band-in-a-Box® 2022 on macOS: Installing Band-in-a-Box® On macOS Using The New Download And Install Manager

Learn more about this feature.

Special Offer! XPro Styles PAKs on sale until September 30, 2022!

XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 offers 300 more RealStyles to supercharge your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition! All of these styles are professionally mixed and include genres like jazz, country, bluegrass, pop, singer/songwriter, rock, and more. For you Pro and MegaPAK users, the XPro Styles PAK 3 also includes 35 additional RealTracks (a $200+ value) that are not included with the Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro or MegaPAK. XPro Styles PAKs are only $29 each (reg $49) until September 30th!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: XPro Styles PAKs work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Special Offer! Save on Xtra Styles PAKs until September 30, 2022!

Until September 30th, save over 40% on our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 with over 2,200 RealStyles (and 35 MIDI Styles)! Each set is on sale for $29 or get them all in the Xtra Styles PAK 1-13 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)!

Expand your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with Xtra Styles PAKs! These Xtra Styles PAKs will add TONS of imaginative styles to your collection, spanning several genres like jazz, rock, bluegrass, country, pop, blues, singer/songwriter, and more! Every RealStyle is professionally mixed and uses a unique arrangement that has never been used by our previous styles. We have even included several MultiStyles that include up to ten substyles each for your advanced arrangements! Spend less time mixing and more time creating, with Xtra Styles PAKs!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: These Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2022. They won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the 2022 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

Endorsing Artist Nick Kellie is a long-time Band-in-a-Box® user - here's what he has to say about the program, along with some of his sessions demoing his use of Band-in-a-Box® backing tracks: Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

"Band-in-a-Box is an indispensable tool for any practicing musician. I can think of any chord progression imaginable and it can do it. It has helped me to hone my skills as a soloist and as a rhythm player."
- Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® User Tip - Generate a RealTracks Solo Using the Silence RealTrack Instead of Mute

Our Forums are full of enthusiastic and long time Band-in-a-Box® users, so it's no surprise when they post a handy tip for fellow program users.

Like this one, Generate a RealTracks Solo using the Silence RealTrack instead of Mute

What a time saving tip to share with everyone - thanks Charlie!

Interested reading other program tips, or share your own? Head to our Tips and Tricks forum to join in on the conversation.

Forum Stats
36554 Members
64 Forums
75743 Topics
667493 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
banjojeff, budt5221, chrismcg, imapianoman, Wick

36554 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 166
MarioD 120