Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Chantelle (at pg)

re midi issues... re embedded midi control commands.

going back years on these forums i would like a dollar for every time a new biab user has posted about haveing tried to import a midi song file from somewhere into biab, and as the new user was not up on midi subtleties is stymied by embedded midi control commands overriding any commands the new user makes.

i suspect lots of new users import third party midi files for sing alongs and patch change tests etc and adding their own spin to an existing midi song maybe.
BOTTOM LINE...the user wants to set their own command settings like patch changes etc.

as we know its not pg's fault or biab's.
the embedded commands/patch settings are related to the originator of the original midi file. which sometimes is not the new biab user.

so how to solve this problem, cos it keeps on cropping up with many user posts each year.

might i suggest....a wish ?
1. this problem and its solution (remove control commands via editing the midi data stream...) being clearly stated UPFRONT in pg support docs ?
also maybe tip of the day when biab is loaded for very first time of an import of a midi file ?
2. a new detection feature that ON FIRST IMPORT OF A MIDI FILE WITH CONTROL COMMANDS IN IT..
a new user to biab sees a screen explaining the embedded control commands issue and solution.
and the user be asked "remove all or some control commands " ?...and referencing a help/faq...and further
sub menus ?

maybe other experienced pg users have a better solution than i . ?
cos obviously this issue with people who are not au fait with midi is not going away. thus a solution is needed.

best
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/20/21 04:59 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1

But this issue is better handled in Real Band since it's a DAW. People expect things like this when working in a DAW but you're correct so many noob's come to Biab precisely because they're noob's and Biab is advertised as being "so easy to use" which it is until you run into something like this.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
+ one !!

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Lots of benefits could be introduced with such an alert message and an automated ability to resolve.

Careful and systematic processing of the MIDI data could alert the user of every potential issue, and allow these to be corrected.

+1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
thanks for supporting my wish.

i strongly feel in addition pg products should have other detection/protection features built in; like we used to build into automated systems in industry.
particularly for new users.

before i go into those , lets examine one way pg might be losing business.
lets call it a case study. it will illustrate why i believe these detection mechanisms are important.

i remember years back mentioning/recommending biab to a musician i met in passing while on holiday.
he looked at me askance as if i was crazy and replied he had a friend who had problems.
needless to say i felt like a total idiot.
however i decided to probe further and found out the "friend"...
1. had not bothered to undertake any basic understanding / read any supporting product docs.
"nah he dont like manuals". he told me.
2. had not even the most basic understanding of midi and digital audio.
3. didnt want to spend the time on any learning curve.
4. was probably useing a dodgy sound device. and to boot....
5. it looked like the computer being used was a "poc". and not properly configured, with junk slow drives and junk old processor etc.

in summary the product was being blamed , when in fact the user was at fault.
which is what i pointed out to the musician i met who admitted "well my mate dont know much bout computers"..

as an aside years before this when i was an early powertraks user, i came across a similar scenario where
the problems, in reality, were points 1 thru' 5 for another musician i met who was useing a competing
multitrak product. once again the product was being blamed.
once the recording rig was properly configged no more problems.

SO WHAT TO DO ?
it would seem to me that we see on these pg forums the same posts time and again from new users on the same subjects.

1. the embedded midi issue.
2. use of on board sound or useing a dodgy sound device.
3. use of an underpowered or poorly configured pc.
"hey man why cant i run 48 traks and 3 sample libraries and 40 plug in instances ..."...lol.

thus i feel detection/protection mechanisms are needed for the 3 above situations at a minimum in biab
(and RB and PTRAKS.). and also mechanisms to stop any potential for hard "crashes". which then allows the user to blame the music software. as in;
"i keep on getting crashes on my new pc"....
(which actually might not be properly set up for daw work anyway.)

in addition a further detection // early warning system is needed should a user keep on loading up plug ins his/her pc cant handle. i would also recommend, as reaper and other daws do; within biab/rb/ptraks a user can always find out what processes might be causeing high pc resource useage...eg plug ins.

if other pg users have other user protection/detection ideas...post them.

the one thing i just dont know how to counter is the new user who just wont read manuals/faq's/helps and other docs.

best
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/21/21 02:42 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Lots of benefits could be introduced with such an alert message and an automated ability to resolve.

Careful and systematic processing of the MIDI data could alert the user of every potential issue, and allow these to be corrected.

+1

I will support the idea of offering the option of deleting program change (PG) settings in a MIDI file but nothing else. If a novice starts deleting settings like pitch bend or mod wheel they would ruin a perfectly good MIDI file. YMMV

So +1 for the PG option.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
+1
And I would like to have the additional option of a small MIDI monitor that shows me which channels have MIDI data on them and when the data starts. When importing MIDI melodies I'm almost always searching and trying out which channel the melody is on and if and how many bars of intro are before it. Most of the time my first try is wrong :-(

Biab/RB latest build, German Language Pak, Win 10/64 Pro, 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM. Notation SW Finale, StaffPad, SmartsScore – Playing Double Bass, Guitar, Piano
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Brille
re your midi needs. heres a quik/dirty solution.
try this. open up realband that comes free with biab.
clik new.
make sure you are in traks view.
import midi file and youll see all the channel assignments and individual midi channels visually on seperate traks. and notes in time.
plus youll see intro etc.
youll see immediately which channel has the melody.
tell me if that works for you.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/23/21 09:45 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Hello Om.
Apart from the fact that it is time-consuming to open another program first and import the MIDI file there as a test, it is unfortunately also not a working solution: When I import the MIDI file in Realband, it places the melody in the first bar, when I import it in Band in a Box, it still hangs 2 bars before it (lead in + 1st bar) - even though I have set "Offset" and "Numbers of blank bars to insert at beginning" to "0". This is somehow not conclusive. So all in all this is not a dirty solution, but just a bunch of clicks more. Thanks for the tip anyway!

Biab/RB latest build, German Language Pak, Win 10/64 Pro, 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM. Notation SW Finale, StaffPad, SmartsScore – Playing Double Bass, Guitar, Piano
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Brille.

if that doesnt help you then i'm lost, ive not understood your needs.
i thought you wanted the midi ch assignments etc. so i offered a qd.
THUS....please go into lots of detail step by step exactly the features you need in biab, that would make you happy, and then i would submit it to the wishlist and pg support.
best
om

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Brille
+1
And I would like to have the additional option of a small MIDI monitor that shows me which channels have MIDI data on them and when the data starts. When importing MIDI melodies I'm almost always searching and trying out which channel the melody is on and if and how many bars of intro are before it. Most of the time my first try is wrong :-(

Interesting comment. How do you currently search for the channels and melody and how many bars before the melody intro?

The Sequencer tool in BIAB normally provides that information for my needs and so far, I've never had to resort to an external program or DAW to determine the channels, patch, the melody track or number of bars to intro. I'm curious to what process you use?

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/24/21 03:44 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Oldmuso,
first of all I apologize if my reply post may have sounded a bit too unkind, it was not meant that way at all, my English is not always fluent. Thanks for your advice!

Charlie,
your reference to the sequencer actually helps me. I never really noticed this tool, but for a preview of MIDI files it is really useful!

This makes one thing clear to me again: Band in a Box is so versatile that on the one hand there are sometimes difficulties that really only affect a few users and on the other hand the program is so complex that you just keep discovering new functions that you haven't used at all so far.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I'm glad you find it useful. I'm sure it will save you some time.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173