You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#670776 - 08/30/21 10:36 PM [User Showcase] A Melody For Our Souls
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

I sadly have less and less time to write, let alone listen, these days. That said, I just wanted to share this little song here ... hope you like it. Hopefully, my schedule will lighten up soon, and inspiration and the mood to write will come back soon. Anyway, all feedback welcome - thanks for taking the time to listen.

https://jamesdelsono.bandcamp.com/track/a-melody-for-our-souls

A MELODY FOR OUR SOULS

See, every time I write a love song
And picture you sat by my side,
I feel that, somehow, something's wrong
And it's as if you had died.

And every time I try to write
About something, someone else instead
It is the dream of YOUR sight
That reminds me our love is dead.

... and yet ...

You are alive,
Somewhere, a place I'll never see ...
You are not mine,
In my arms, again, you'll never be.

And so, each, every time I write a love song
My pen stops here, uninspired
By anything apart from our love, long gone ...
It is so late, now, and I am tired ...

And yet, rather than to an empty bed
Retire, my quill hovers, over here ...
Our love may long have been gone ... and yet,
In writing, I can let flow one more tear ...

For you are alive,
Somewhere, a place I'll never see
You are not mine, forever not mine ...
In my arms, again, you'll never be.

Remembering, remembering
The night you said "I'm ever yours",
I cry and close my eyes, and write
A melody for our souls.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: A Melody for Our Souls
File:A Melody for Our Souls.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=3:57
No intro. 128 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 128. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Key Signature,
Style is _WHIMSY.STY (Whimsical Piano Country Waltz)

RealTracks in style: ~1122:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~2049:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 829:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Country Waltz Sw 110 (A:held)
RealTracks in style: ~~689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:NashClassicWaltzSw^4-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

#670805 - 08/31/21 06:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi James,

What a journey!

Bernie Taupin once wrote some lyrics for an Elton John melody that said, "Sad songs, they say so much." It was while I was listening to your words that this thought popped into my mind.

I love how verse 1 captures the emptiness and loneliness of a broken relationship. This leads perfectly into the next stage of the story where the song's writer/character is having a hard time finding words to express his feelings.

When the journey gets to the last line of verse 4—where you say, "In writing, I can let flow one more tear"—it seemed to me that this is the most important line of the song. It's as though every previous line leads to this moment. In this line, the song's character is crying through his crafting of a song. Even though his mind might be numbed and dazed, his heart is sobbing.

I know you like being inventive with your composing. This is no exception. Juxtaposing sad lyrics against a slightly buoyant backing created an interesting contrast. The combination of words, backing and your vocals kept me engaged for the whole length of the song.

I enjoyed listening and appreciate where your song took me.

I hope that life stops being so busy for you!
Noel

#670820 - 08/31/21 08:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
James, you said that you were very busy these days so you had little time to both write and listen to songs. If you can keep writing masterpieces like this while you are very busy I hope you keep being very busy whistle

Seriously this is an outstanding song. The backing tracks match those extremely sad lyrics perfectly, brilliant!

This is your best to date IMHO!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#670852 - 08/31/21 12:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Your poetry is always inspiring.

Well done!

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#670930 - 08/31/21 09:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Online   content
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
James,

Nice one, nice write. That chorus is achingly sad. Well done! Here’s hoping things slow down for you and you can spend more time sharing your music.

All my best to you,

Deej

#670959 - 09/01/21 01:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi James,

Good writing! And the spoken word delivery works well.

Good job on the backing track too, well done.

#670997 - 09/01/21 07:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

Noel: thanks so much for such a thoughtful and in-depth review. The reason I put a buoyant background track underneath sad lyrics is because I wanted to convey that the character in the song is keeping a brave face in front of adversity - it's all "major key" on the face of it, but the lyrics tell a different story. I don't know if I conveyed that, but that was the idea :-) . Again, thank you for your wonderful and kind review!

Mario: wow. I'm so glad you enjoyed the song. Don't know if it's my best so far, but yes, I think that the lyrics were "to the point" on this one, so perhaps that's a reason why you may have liked it? Who knows. but THANK YOU for listening and for such a wonderful reaction and review to it!

Captain Moto, Deej and BlueAttitude: thank you. I, too, hope to be less busy soon. In the meantime, it warms the heart to hear such nice reviews, honestly. Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and provide feedback :-)

#671071 - 09/01/21 04:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
So, so beautiful... I don't have the words to explain how much I enjoyed this... it is a stunning piece of music!

Will

#671209 - 09/02/21 01:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

Thanks so much, Will - wow. I'm so grateful for such a wonderful reaction to any song of mine, and for such words. Thanks.

#671273 - 09/02/21 06:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: United States
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: United States
James,

I can truly relate to what you said about not having the time to work on music! It's such a shame to not be able to do what we love but it makes us appreciate the valuable time we do have and make it count!

You did an excellent job putting this one together! Your mix sounds good and your words paint a lovely picture once again!

Hopefully you'll soon find more time to devote to your music! Take care, Torrey

Edited by Torrey Bliss (09/02/21 06:48 PM)

#671275 - 09/02/21 06:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
This is a stunning piece! You may not have much time to write, listen, or play right now, but I think this shows that when you do get the time to do so, you'll knock it out of the park. Well done, and thanks for taking the time, as always, to share what you make with us! We love hearing what you guys make. It's definitely one of the major highlights of my day getting to listen to what everyone here on the forum creates.

#671356 - 09/03/21 09:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
James,

A solid write. Mix is good.

fj

#671783 - 09/06/21 12:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

My word. So much positive reaction - thank you, each and every one of you, for such nice words.

Torrey: time is always a challenge, but ... we HAVE to make time. Simply MUST.

Ember: thank you for such kind words. So happy you enjoyed this little effort of mine. Without Band-in-a-Box, none of my songs would exist today, so a special thanks to all of the staff at PG Music for making this happen and for listening to the results of what you have helped create.

fj: thanks for a fair appraisal of this work :-) I've done better, I've done worse, I think ... so yes, "solid write" is more than fair, I think, haha. Thanks for listening!!!

#671812 - 09/06/21 02:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Aberdeen, NC
Bawb Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Aberdeen, NC
Hi James,
Whenever I hear your songs, they always remind me of back in the 70's when Telly Savalas used to sing songs. You use a lot of the same inflections in your voice and evoke so much emotions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94-_w9ARX0

It's always a nice listen. Thanks for posting.

#671830 - 09/06/21 03:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
The juxtaposition is cool...it works well and the result leaves me hoping for a melodic rendition to come.

#672071 - 09/08/21 06:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
A Noel said the contrast of the lyric and the backing tracks adds a different
(and effective) dimension to your song.

Also the Victorian aspects of some word choices enriches the imagery.

The build of the story from V1 is great.

Nice mix too!

Kudos,

J&B

#672239 - 09/09/21 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi James,

Your song was very pleasant to listen to, in spite of the sad story.
While listening my attention drifted away from your words and replace them with images of my own.
Still your spoken words sounded through all of this and brought me back to your lyrics. It is beautiful to experience how spoken words and your voice can charm one's mind.

You've made a lot of progress,
Hans

#673435 - 09/17/21 05:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Melody For Our Souls [Re: musician17]
musician17 Offline
Expert

Thanks all. Dunno about a melodic version right now, Ray, but who knows, if I get the time! Thanks, everyone, for listening and for your very kind comments, once more!

PG Music News
The XPro & Xtra Styles PAKs Special Ends September 30th!

Amp up your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 experience when you add XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs... on sale until September 30th!

XPro Styles PAKs are styles that work with any version (Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition) of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). We offer 3 PAKs, and each PAK includes over 100 styles!

Xtra Styles PAKs are styles that work with the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 (or higher). There are 13 PAKs available, with over 100 styles in each PAK!

They're all on sale only September 30th!
Each PAK can be purchased for $29 (reg. $49)... Order XPro Styles PAKS | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

How to: Using the New Download and Install Manager to Install on macOS

In this video we show you how to use the new Band-in-a-Box® Download And Install Manager to install Band-in-a-Box® 2022 on macOS: Installing Band-in-a-Box® On macOS Using The New Download And Install Manager

Learn more about this feature.

Special Offer! XPro Styles PAKs on sale until September 30, 2022!

XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 offers 300 more RealStyles to supercharge your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition! All of these styles are professionally mixed and include genres like jazz, country, bluegrass, pop, singer/songwriter, rock, and more. For you Pro and MegaPAK users, the XPro Styles PAK 3 also includes 35 additional RealTracks (a $200+ value) that are not included with the Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro or MegaPAK. XPro Styles PAKs are only $29 each (reg $49) until September 30th!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs 1-3 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: XPro Styles PAKs work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Special Offer! Save on Xtra Styles PAKs until September 30, 2022!

Until September 30th, save over 40% on our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 with over 2,200 RealStyles (and 35 MIDI Styles)! Each set is on sale for $29 or get them all in the Xtra Styles PAK 1-13 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)!

Expand your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with Xtra Styles PAKs! These Xtra Styles PAKs will add TONS of imaginative styles to your collection, spanning several genres like jazz, rock, bluegrass, country, pop, blues, singer/songwriter, and more! Every RealStyle is professionally mixed and uses a unique arrangement that has never been used by our previous styles. We have even included several MultiStyles that include up to ten substyles each for your advanced arrangements! Spend less time mixing and more time creating, with Xtra Styles PAKs!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs 1-13 for Windows and for Mac.

Note: These Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2022. They won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the 2022 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

Endorsing Artist Nick Kellie is a long-time Band-in-a-Box® user - here's what he has to say about the program, along with some of his sessions demoing his use of Band-in-a-Box® backing tracks: Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

"Band-in-a-Box is an indispensable tool for any practicing musician. I can think of any chord progression imaginable and it can do it. It has helped me to hone my skills as a soloist and as a rhythm player."
- Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® User Tip - Generate a RealTracks Solo Using the Silence RealTrack Instead of Mute

Our Forums are full of enthusiastic and long time Band-in-a-Box® users, so it's no surprise when they post a handy tip for fellow program users.

Like this one, Generate a RealTracks Solo using the Silence RealTrack instead of Mute

What a time saving tip to share with everyone - thanks Charlie!

Interested reading other program tips, or share your own? Head to our Tips and Tricks forum to join in on the conversation.

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Gabriel Mark Hasselbach

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by Endorsing Artist Gabriel Mark Hasselbach: https://youtu.be/86DOXpAbf7I

"I have been using Band-in-a-Box since my Atari days and the program has grown and blossomed like a hothouse flower! My history of 10 Billboard hits, 14 albums, Juno awards, Album of the Year Award, and JazzWeek charting has all been interwoven with Band in the Box. A great tool for songwriting, arranging, preproduction, and even finished projects. Visionary work PG Music!"
- Gabriel Mark Hasselbach

Learn more about Gabriel Mark Hasselbach.

Forum Stats
36538 Members
64 Forums
75703 Topics
667134 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Ampower, ChrisKarabas, Jeffreylowy, juenemas, Vermist

36538 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 162
MarioD 126