You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#675148 - 09/27/21 10:30 AM [User Showcase] A Thousand Reasons
Loc: Illinois, USA
firesong Offline
Journeyman

Hey guys...this song is one I recorded with my children a few years back...it's getting a facelift with BiaB...the song is off of a project we did called "Prodigal" which was a selection of songs telling the story of the prodigal son from scripture (Luke 15:11-32)...this song is the point when the prodigal son is contemplating returning home to his father...so the song is not a stand alone idea or entity but rather a part of an entire work (aka: album, musical, whatever you want to call it)...thanks for listening if you choose to...Dan

PS: I'm still in the first cut phase so any ideas or technical advise is always appreciated!

https://soundclick.com/r/s8iv0f

BiaB elements:
EAGER.STY Eager Spirited Soft Guitar
1849 Bass
1264 Piano
3549 Guitar
2200 Nylon Guitar
363 Pedal Steel
Real Drums tamborine

We added: Lead vox: Ian Simmons BGV: Dan Simmons and Amber Simmons-Eaker
Classical Guitar and Drums:Yamaha Genos

Edited by firesong (09/27/21 10:37 AM)

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.

#675158 - 09/27/21 12:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
vicarn Offline
Journeyman

Dan. You sing this well.
I'm wondering does it need all those instruments?

Good song.
Vic

#675159 - 09/27/21 12:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: vicarn]
firesong Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: vicarn
Dan. You sing this well.
I'm wondering does it need all those instruments?

Good song.
Vic

Vic...thanks for your comments...actually that's my son Ian singing the lead...what instruments would you drop? I tried to sparse them in here and there...I wanted the song to build as it went to imply more intensity as it grew from "thousand to million" but if it needs less I'm up for that...thanks for the thoughts...Dan

#675168 - 09/27/21 02:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Good song, great vocal, excellent work all the way around.

#675185 - 09/27/21 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: TuneMonger]
firesong Offline
Journeyman

Thanks...I appreciate it.

#675194 - 09/27/21 05:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Dan,

That is a top melody and an excellent vocal performance.

Also - very well mixed.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

#675263 - 09/28/21 05:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
Gary Weder Offline
Journeyman

All of your music is very well written and produced.
Key change at 2.05 was a bit abrupt . Would like the vox to be more forward in front of the band. Perhaps a little less vox reverb. Just teeny weeny things. Another enjoyable Firesong.
cheers
Gary.

#675277 - 09/28/21 07:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Outstanding song, Daniel. Ian has a wonderful voice, and, man, that harmony reaches the heavens. Yes, the key change was abrupt, but you made it work seamlessly. I also like your response to Vic's comment because I was thinking as he was, and you're right, the added instruments help build the song in the same way the harmonies do. Excellent mix, too.

P.S. I played bass in 3 different companies for the play Godspell --the prodigal son is one of my favorite stories.

Edited by BabuMusic (09/28/21 07:25 AM)

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper & Cakewalk

#675280 - 09/28/21 07:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
vicarn Offline
Journeyman

Hard to tell what instruments to leave out without listening to them individually.
At a rough guess I would say look at anything with similar sounds. They can clash.

Vic

#675311 - 09/28/21 11:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: Gary Weder]
firesong Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
All of your music is very well written and produced.
Key change at 2.05 was a bit abrupt . Would like the vox to be more forward in front of the band. Perhaps a little less vox reverb. Just teeny weeny things. Another enjoyable Firesong.
cheers
Gary.

Gary...thanks for your comments...I always tend to over effect vocals...different people like different amounts of "sugar on their cereal" so to speak...I need less of a sweet tooth sometimes...I could have used a transition chord for the key change but I intentionally used the "abrupt " jump thematically...the song was jumping from "a thousand reasons" to "a million reasons" which is a shocking and attention grabbing jump so I thought I'll just go there with a bit of a musical explosion thus strait to the new key...anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it...thanks again...Dan

Edited by firesong (09/28/21 11:39 AM)

#675313 - 09/28/21 11:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
firesong Offline
Journeyman

Nigel, Marty and Vic...hey guys thanks for your kind comments...your responses are always constructive and encouraging..."the more ears; the better the song"...Dan

#675321 - 09/28/21 11:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Very well done.
Beautiful sentiment delivered with great feeling.

NICE!

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#675340 - 09/28/21 12:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
Loc: Aberdeen, NC
Bawb Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Aberdeen, NC

Firesong:
I can think of a thousand thumbs up to describe your song! It harkens back to a Jim Croce song/chord progressions in some places. Really good job on the vocals and the band/instruments. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen!

#675377 - 09/28/21 05:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Thousand Reasons [Re: firesong]
firesong Offline
Journeyman

moto and Bawb...I'm feeling the love here and I appreciate it so much guys...thanks...Dan

PG Music News
Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

RealTracks Artist Pat Martino

We are saddened to hear of the passing of jazz guitar legend Pat Martino yesterday.

Pat was part of our RealTracks Artist "Jazz Pollwinners 2" series in 2014. You can learn about Pat and listen to his RealTracks contribution here.

Pat had been playing guitar since he was just 12 years old, and devoted himself to music in grade ten. On top of years of performing (he began playing professionally in 1961), Pat received many awards for his playing, including the "Jazz Legacy" Award in 2016 presented by Pennsylvania State Senator Vincent Hughes and his wife Sheryl Lee Ralph-Hughes.

Learn even more about Pat Martino when you visit his website, http://www.patmartino.com/.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Updates!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 users - a free update is available!

Using a Windows version? Your update resolves some reported bugs involving Song Memo, RealDrums, hot-keys, etc. Learn more & download - Windows.

Running the Mac version? The latest update for version 2021 improves Edit Audio functions, allows you to stop playback when using the StyleMaker, ensures tempo changes are included when exporting MIDI, and more! Learn more & download - Mac.

A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Forum Stats
35156 Members
62 Forums
71314 Topics
621631 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Pacolino, Esso, BazLow, AmbientPro, Tufir

35155 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 254
Pipeline 250