Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#679287 - 10/25/21 08:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: eddie1261]
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Teunis Offline
Expert

Tools of trade were tax deductible. Owning top equipment effectively reduced the tax liability at the time. Over a number of years the value of the said items was written down to zilch. So I guess they are worth nothing now. I have not really played “professionally” for quite some years now. I’ve been retired for 8 years so have no taxable income as such. I’ll probably die still owing this stuff that has been a major part of my life. The guitars will eventually be passed on and become someone else’s issue to sort.

The olde Tele and Maton CW80 photos of the Precision and Rickenbacker will be on and old external drive. I don't have the guitars with me at the moment.

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

Edited by Teunis (10/25/21 08:48 PM)

#679289 - 10/25/21 09:02 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Online   content
Expert

I am going to be like my grandmother. When we told her she could not take her stuff with her when she died she said OK...I am just not going to die! She lived to be 104.

So I got 30 more years to think about it I guess...lol

Tony, those are some really cool guitars you got. At least some of them are worth quite a bit of money nowadays.

In conversations with Trevor and drummer buddy from Brisbane plus several other friends living in Australia, I think I would really like it there. Not too keen on meeting up with one of those brown snakes that I hear live in your neck of the woods...lol

Enjoy life as long as you can!

Billy

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

#679302 - 10/26/21 05:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
After 5 weeks in Australia and knowing my brother-in-law for 40 years, I'd really love to live in Australia. The problem with that idea is, I'm either too old or not wealthy enough for them to let me in frown

But my house is paid off, I live near the east coast of the mainland of Florida, my duo has an excellent reputation, we have a lot of repeat business, and I like it here.

Life is the best way to pass the time of day

I have a minimal amount of musical instruments, I'm a player, not a collector (there is nothing wrong with being a collector). I have a stage instrument and a spare of each of the instruments I play.

I always figured another instrument that I'm not going to gig with or isn't a back-up axe is a cut in pay. If I don't play it, I usually give it away to some student.

If I die first, Mrs. Notes can do whatever she wants with them. I won't need them anymore.

Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#679349 - 10/26/21 09:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
If I die first, Mrs. Notes can do whatever she wants with them.

And with the age gap between you, statistics say that will likely happen.

The last bullet I dodged, er, girlfriend that I had, was 17 years younger than me and that weighed heavy on my mind as I dumped her. That age gap was JUST enough to put her into a generation with a different mindset on life and it didn't go well with mine.

Do you realize that a good night of sleep is nothing more than the human version of "Turn it off and turn it back on again"?

#679382 - 10/26/21 11:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Focus here has shifted from amassing guitars to rebuilding the studio. Once I get it painted and put it back together, and again I say "And this time I will run the wiring neatly", I should now have a good handle on sounds. Here's the rack I have spent the last month or so assembling.

Kurzweil 1000 PX
Korg M3R, which is an M1 in rack form
Alesis 12 channel mixer
Yamaha TX81z
EMU Proteus
MX-8 midi routing box
Furman power conditioner

And the companion rack.

Behringer stereo compressor
Digitech vocalist
Korg Volca drum machine and a Zoom drum machine
Roland JU-06a module that is roughly based on the Juno 60 and 106.

A lot of Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, eBay and Reverb shopping here.

But man, Tony has a 50+ year old Telecaster...

Do you realize that a good night of sleep is nothing more than the human version of "Turn it off and turn it back on again"?

#679432 - 10/26/21 05:00 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: eddie1261]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Simon - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

NICE! What brand? The picture cuts off just at the top of the headstock.

The supply of goods and services is becoming a serious issue here in Miami, especially medical supplies.

It's everywhere and for everything. There have been some foods I haven't been able to buy here in a year and a half, guitar store walls are looking a bit empty constantly, and I had to special order a motherboard and CPU for my new computer because nothing is available - video cards especially are in short supply.

Originally Posted By: Teunis
Then last Wednesday night came the stopper I had a heart attack so no gig this month. Just as the restrictions eased again I'm out of commission.

Hope you're doing alright now Tony!

Originally Posted By: Teunis
Often they can seem expensive but if one works out the hours of joy then at an hourly rate it soon works out pretty good. If you spend a $1000 on a new guitar then spend 100 hours over the next few weeks playing, adjusting and admiring your new instrument it works out cheap (only $10 per hour) in terms of entertainment.

That is exactly what I used to tell customers when I worked at the guitar shop! It's also what I say to justify the amount of time I spend in a video game - if I spend 80 bucks on a game but spend 200 hours playing it then it only cost 40 cents an hour. Guitars and video games end up being less costly than going to a movie by far!

The same can be said for Band-in-a-Box of course. 129 bucks for the Pro version is a downright bargain when you can spend hundreds of hours making wonderful music with it, or even simply exploring the sounds.

Everyone should buy all the music stuff they want and can afford. Life is short.

Word. Music stuff is an investment in yourself - as long as you're not going hungry for gear, it's always worth it.

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Yamaha TX81z

But man, Tony has a 50+ year old Telecaster...

Always loved that TX81Z, but dang it I love that Telecaster more...

---------------------------------------

Back on topic, I've got a "new" guitar as of last weekend. Just a cheapie with a playable neck (for now) that I intend to re-fret to get some microtonal notes in there. See attachment for the "before" pic...

Attachments

#679447 - 10/26/21 05:29 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Simon - PG Music]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Billy/eddie/all
ok ye geetar gods n geeks...got any opinions on the following geetar brands ?
good or not ? my wife likes the colours..lol

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Electric-Guitars_c_116.html
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-Guitars_c_496.html
plus they sell lots of gtr parts etc etc.

best
om

#679456 - 10/26/21 05:59 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
Expert

Savannah, more made-in-China stuff. $350. It sounds pretty harsh but OK and works for learning slide guitar.

I have a lot on my plate at the moment and I am not sure what the future will bring. I am not totally sure what country I will be living in. The pandemic has totally put a monkey wrench in how I planned to spend the rest of my life. Cancer has been another curveball but if it does not come back that will have been just a bump in the road.

National Reso-Phonic NRP Steel Tricone 2021 is a new one I would like but don't think it is a good idea for me to spend $4000 dollars.

What I really would like to have is a NATIONAL DUOLIAN RESONATOR STEEL BODY GUITAR 1930's. Marty, the music store owner in Miami Beach had one that I have played but at the time I did not want to own one. He sold it a few weeks back for a pretty large amount of money. If I was twenty years younger I would consider buying it for an investment.

Due to this large cut on my neck, I can only stand to play guitar for a few minutes at a time. It is getting better day by day but I am far from normal.
I am sort of expecting it will be the first of next year before I am more or less back to normal.

Billy

#679457 - 10/26/21 06:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: justanoldmuso]
Teunis Offline
Expert

It seems there are many really good low priced options. As I said about the Yamaha Pacifica 612 I bought a couple of weeks ago I’m blown away by the playability and the tones.

The hardware on this guitar puts it up there with guitars easily twice the price. SeymourDuncan HSS pickup layout with the humbucker being split coil (it can be used as a single coil or humbucker), Grover Locking Tuners, Wilkinson VS50 trem bridge, Tusq Nut and trees. Then the guitar and finish of the guitar itself. The Yamaha Pacifica range has been around for many years.

If I sound like I’m selling this thing well I’m letting all and sundry know that a really good guitar does not have to cost an arm and a leg.

My opinions Tony

#679464 - 10/26/21 06:37 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
Expert

Price or brand name is certainly not a guarantee of a good instrument. I have had at least 500 Fender Stratocasters in my hand over the years and only a few played really well.

I bought an acoustic guitar in a pawnshop for $35 dollars that played and sounded better than any high-dollar acoustic I have played. I gave the guitar to a well-known singer-songwriter friend of mine.

Large improvements in guitar making have been a function of high-quality computer numeric control machines being used in their manufacture. That is the reason cheap guitars play well nowadays. The main issue is if the wood stays put.

The only way I know to get a guitar that you will really like is to go play them until you find something that fits your hand. Then hope the wood does not move around more than can be easily adjusted.

It is common for people to go buy the make of guitar their guitar heroes play. I guess they hope that will be the key to their playing well...good luck with that.

The guitar manufacturers have to compete with one another so Yahama will always try to make the best they can within the budget.

I have had the good luck to be lifelong friends of the owner of one of the biggest vintage guitar shops in the country. That let me play hundreds of guitars both inexpensive and guitars that cost over $200,000 dollars.

At the end of the day, it is more about the player than the guitar, to begin with. We all spend way too much time talking about guitars than playing them...lol

Billy

#679477 - 10/26/21 08:24 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Ok if we are showing recent guitar purchases, I’m falling in love with my first guitar with a Bigsby. Bought used. The Bigsby suits me so much better than a strat type trem.
Gretsch Electromatic 5410t “Rat Rod”

#679482 - 10/26/21 08:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
Expert

That is a really cool-looking guitar. I think I would like the Bigsby.

The first choice for me has been Kahler tremolo and second Floyd Rose.

I am not sure what you call that white stuff out the window but I am pretty sure I don't want any...lol

Cheers,

Billy

#679499 - 10/27/21 12:28 AM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
I am not sure what you call that white stuff out the window but I am pretty sure I don't want any...lol

No panic. You won't get any where you are Billy, that's for sure! grin grin grin
BIAB & RB2022(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#679563 - 10/27/21 07:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: justanoldmuso]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Billy/eddie/all
ok ye geetar gods n geeks...got any opinions on the following geetar brands ?
good or not ? my wife likes the colours..lol

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Electric-Guitars_c_116.html
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-Guitars_c_496.html
plus they sell lots of gtr parts etc etc.

best
om

A couple of months ago I purchased a Xaviere P90 guitar. It can perfectly set up and sounds great. The neck fit my old arthritic hands perfectly. The frets were polished perfectly. It is the best $329 USD guitar that I have ever purchased; even better then the Harley Benton, YMMV. I am so happy with this guitar that I saved up and just purchased the coil splitting humbucker model. As soon as that comes in I will let you know about it.

Attachments

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#679634 - 10/27/21 04:41 PM [Off-Topic] Re: New Guitar...You got to keep up Eddie...lol [Re: Planobilly]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

That is a really cool-looking guitar. I think I would like the Bigsby.

It’s a completely different feel and allows for nuance that I’ve not been able to master with terms that move the bridge. I’m really digging it and wish I had tried one decades ago.

My strat sits in its case. It’s a Peavey strat copy that I modded with the grease bucket mod and added a toggle for the bridge pup on/off.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 12 for Band-in-a-Box®!

If you love our existing Xtra Styles PAKs, you'll definitely want to have a listen to our NEW Xtra Styles PAK 12, with 200 more fully-produced styles! 50 each for: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and our new Blues styles option!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 12 Demos

Order this month and save 40%! During our Xtra Styles PAK 12 special, which ends December 31st, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-12 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? You can purchase our complete library of all 2,000+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-12 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Note: These Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2021 or 2022.

RealBand 2022 is Here!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2022, including the ability to install multiple VST plugins from a folder at a time, improved Audio Chord Wizard detection routines, the ability to record mixer movement for the masters/subgroups, new Transpose/Stretch All Tracks dialog lets you transpose/stretch/reduce all tracks and then conveniently save to a new file, the new settings to save selected tracks only and exclude muted tracks when saving all tracks to individual files, the option to save all tracks to a compressed format, and much more.

RealBand is included in ALL Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases – during our special (which ends December 31st) to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in RealBand 2022 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is here! There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks(20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 12, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2021 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2022 packages during our special, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

RealTracks Artist Pat Martino

We are saddened to hear of the passing of jazz guitar legend Pat Martino yesterday.

Pat was part of our RealTracks Artist "Jazz Pollwinners 2" series in 2014. You can learn about Pat and listen to his RealTracks contribution here.

Pat had been playing guitar since he was just 12 years old, and devoted himself to music in grade ten. On top of years of performing (he began playing professionally in 1961), Pat received many awards for his playing, including the "Jazz Legacy" Award in 2016 presented by Pennsylvania State Senator Vincent Hughes and his wife Sheryl Lee Ralph-Hughes.

Learn even more about Pat Martino when you visit his website, http://www.patmartino.com/.

A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Forum Stats
35193 Members
63 Forums
71644 Topics
624184 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
kittyjkat321, Dange, ShemS76, pbwang1947, Dominique29

35193 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 419
Matt Finley 243