User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

I hope everyone is doing well out there. Here’s my latest, though not the song I thought I’d next be posting. I try to record snippets of new songs on my iPhone so I don’t forget song ideas I come up with (melodies and the like). From time to time, I listen to them to see if any new inspiration comes my way. This song was one idea among the many.

During a bout of insomnia last week I was combing through those snippets at 2 a.m. and rediscovered this one. I recalled I had started writing lyrics and, to my surprise, when I opened up the file the lyrics were mostly what you see below—in other words, pretty much done. I think I became disenchanted with the tune for some reason (or got distracted with something else), put it aside, and then proceeded to totally forget about it.

Anyway, the BIAB version came together pretty quickly, and I’m happy enough with it to share. As always, feedback and suggestions on production are very welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

My very best to you all,

Deej

Here’s the song:

A LIFE WITHOUT YOU

Here are the lyrics:

I can leave the morning paper on the table
Mix up all the staples in the pantry drawer
Keep the bed unmade
My face unshaved and howl
Leave dirty clothes and towels
On the bathroom floor

And, yeah, I know there’s no end
To all the things that I can do
But I’m just not ready for
A life without you

I could change up all the hours that I’ve been keeping
Stay up late and sleep in ‘till half past noon
And then hang out with my boys
at “The Ivory Tower”
Hit every happy hour
And close the bar at two

And I’m sure there’d be some girl
Who could make me feel less blue
A life without you

I could cruise the town in style
With my slickly painted smile
And learn to laugh like
Broken people do
But the saddest thing of all
Is no matter how far I fall
I’m still thinking there’s a chance
For me and you

So I’ll water all your plants and feed the fishes
Clean all the dirty dishes and dust up too
And I’ll walk our trail
Without fail each Sunday
Hoping, girl, that one day
you’ll be walking too

And, yeah I know to let it go
Just move on to something new
A life without you

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 1036: Bass, Electric, NorthernRockBallad
RealTracks 1038: Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad
RealTracks 3184: Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GrungeSlowQuinn
RealTracks 1767: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16
RealTracks 688: Organ, B3, Background Pop
RealTracks 3321: Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist RnBPopDblBrent
RealDrums: Rock8ths^02-a:ClosedHat, Snare, b:Ride, Snare

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Deej
What a great song
Really fantastic sung
I like it extraordinarily well
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great song, well-mixed, and a performance worthy of a golden buzzer. Well done smile

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a true return to the Deej of old ... the one who wrote "Prayer To The World", "If You Stay", "I've Got The Moon" and so, so many more. This is on a par with your very best songs, my friend. You're back with a vengeance - I can only say: bravo, bravo, bravo. It's an honour (for real) to listen to you, especially in this kind of form.

The song just flows. So natural, so beautiful - I'm not going to even start picking at it, by way of "analysis". The lyrics are inspired, the melody ... wow ... the singing is so relaxed, never forced, with your trademark unique voice that we'd all recognise for miles, once heard.

You are (I will say it) the best songwriter, by a country mile, that I know. You bring different kinds of songs to the table, too ... I never know what you will write next. And this - this is, again, Deej at his best. BRAVO.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Deej,
Another great write, well performed.
As always your vocal shines as the star of this song.

I have only one critique:
-The effects treatment sounds like the various parts are in different rooms.

All in all, a nice piece of work.

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely vocal.
That 2nd vocal on the right after 1.14 is cool but it gets out of time a little in spots which can be a good thing but I'm
There's a ping from the tambourine, (?,) at 1.36 that could do with a little reduction - just not quite on the beat and a little loud.

Other than those very tiny nots this is a lovely musically up sad story.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

This is an absolutely fantastic song. So well performed and mixed. Loved it!

A real treasure...

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

A solid write. Good backing. Well mixed. Nice vocals.

Enjoyed the listen.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

It's funny how those ideas we had forgotten about have a way of coming back to us, especially during a dry writing spell! Those little recorded snippets are like gold during those times.

Excellent tune with your always spot on vocals! Love the "Jim Croce" style melody/lyrics/chord structure going on!

Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great lyrics, nice mundane feeling with dirty clothes and feeding fishes combined with relationship burden. Very nice melody and enjoyable chord progression. Passionate vocal delivery is excellent. The band works, the nice bassline could be more present, but maybe the problem is with my headphones.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Deej...this is a brilliant piece of work...doesn't really matter how we get them or when they show up, it's just really cool when we capture them without them getting away...right? loved the marriage of lyric and style...vocals were top-notch...sort of a downer thought (boy loves girl; boy loses girl; boy decides to do the dishes after the girl is gone) but with a light and hopeful tempo and approach...this is a great write...thanks for letting us hear it...Dan

Last edited by firesong; 11/03/21 08:29 AM.

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good song, superbly sung. It's time, I think, to make a Spotify album if you haven't already. You're that good!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Man, if you got any more of those great ideas, please put them out there for us before you throw them away. What a treasure you rediscovered in this one, Deej. Such an engaging listen.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"So I’ll water all your plants and feed the fishes
Clean all the dirty dishes and dust up too
And I’ll walk our trail
Without fail each Sunday
Hoping, girl, that one day
you’ll be walking too"

Nice!

That is a great lyric and melody.

The combo vocally of lead, harmony and unison also works well.

Sorry about the insomnia but we are glad you rediscovered it.
If only my insomnia would yield such results smile

Well done.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's so good. Nicely done.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej

Lovely melody and overall a very engaging song.

Great vocal and production.

Enjoyed.

Peter

User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Deej.
really like your 'character'vocals.
nice vocal doubles. and lyrics.

if i might suggest, and maybe others might disagree ...
the thin geetar on one side of the stereo image...
possibly experiment with a different clean gtr sound possibly. still clean and understated but just a bit
different in tonal colour.

well done.
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
A very cool song!!! Love the idea behind this one.....very clever and interesting angle!! Always love your vocals!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Smashing lyrics Deej.

My only sugg is to lose the gap before the second verse or fill it with something.

Vic

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Project M, Ghostgum, musician17, moto, rayc, Bob, Floyd, Torrey, Janne, firesong, TuneMonger, Marty, J&B, Gutarhacker, Peter, om, Greg and Vic:

Thanks all for the listen and all the feedback. Really appreciate your taking the time to comment, and glad the song resonated well-enough. A few thoughts on some of the input:

Captainmoto: I’ll have to go back in and take another listen with your thought in mind—I don’t think anything’s misaligned, but lord knows I’ve overlooked many elements before, so I’ll check the settings on the various tracks and make sure there aligned. Beyond that, maybe just a volume thing, as I have a few of the guitars low and wide. Thanks for the food for thought.

rayc: God bless those ears of yours! I’ll jump back in and see if I can address them—no tambourine in this one—perhaps the nylon guitar or a stray hi-hat from the percussion? Dunno. But thanks for pointing it out.

Janne: I think I have a tendency to downplay the bass—easy enough to make it more prominent here.

TuneMonger: Well, I did put out a collection of tunes (I can’t quite bring myself to say “album”) earlier this year on Spotify and the other steaming services (via Distrokid), and have added a couple of singles. All stuff I’ve posted here, with some tunes still not as polished as I would have liked from a production standpoint. Hoping to put another collection out late this year though more likely early next, which hopefully will be a little more consistent in quality of production. We’ll see. But thanks much for the kind words and encouragement.

om: I auditioned a fair number of guitars for this tune, and for better or worse it’s where I ended up sound wise. But I get you, and when I dive back into this one, I’ll try a few more out. Thanks.

Vic: You nailed the one aspect of the song I struggled with most, and I was wondering if anyone would comment on it. I wavered between deleting one bar before the second verse, adding the nylon acoustic lead, or doing nothing. I thought the first option sounded too rushed as I moved from the chorus to the second verse (though when I play it live that’s exactly what I do), and I couldn’t get a good enough riff from the acoustic to fill it (though I will redouble my efforts on that). So I went with the third option. I think you are right though and I’ll have to address it. Thanks.

My best to you all:

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,597
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193