Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Leaving the pandemic aside for the moment, I would like to know why it seems like very few people want to talk on the phone. And even less, seem to be comfortable meeting in person.

Short cryptic texting seems to be the preferred method of communication...well...if you can really call that communication.

About thirty people have responded to an ad I placed on Craigslist. I have had two phone conversations as a result of that. One of those people was a "professional musician" and the other was a young lady of about thirty. Neither one has actually followed through with what that said they wanted to do.

I indicated that although I am not some rich guy, money was not an issue so they could just name their own price for their services. I could agree or not based on what I thought the value to me would be.

I also indicated that I would try my best to promote their interest in music.

There were a couple of homeless guys who responded. I guess no matter how down and out you are in America you have a cell phone.

The people I meet on forums also appear to also be very reluctant to talk on the phone and even less to meet over Zoom or Skype. Obviously, this is not true in all cases but it seems to be the norm. Apparently many people are only comfortable hiding behind avatars and frequently say things I don't think they would ever say face to face. Where did they get the idea that because there is little recourse for what they say they have no responsibility for their actions?

This has become a communication world of more or less meaningless "one-liners", cryptic meanless conversation for the most part.

What the hell is up with that and how did we get to this point?

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/08/21 04:08 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just a guess. Ear damage? You can't read lips on the phone.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe Billy when you mentioned that money was not an obstacle they thought it too be good to be true, don't know really its a funny old world.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
This has become a communication world of more or less meaningless "one-liners", cryptic meaningless conversation for the most part.

Laziness, lack of care, lock-downs, poor grammar, poor spelling (I one spent ages trying to find out what "prolly" meant), lack of respect, texting, street-speak... I'm sure there are more. To, two, too; your, you're, their, there, they're. I personally also often crash when I hear a wrong contraction like there's instead of there're.

A few of those at one time are surmountable, but too many make a message quite unintelligible. Certainly to most of us over, say 50, anyway.

To continue the with the mangling of languages: non ilegitemi carborundum.

Edit: Oh, it also isn't only musicians.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 11/08/21 07:42 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dear Mr. Scott,

I have spent a good amount of time working in England at a time when every broken-down motorway in the country was under construction...lol

There have been cultural changes in the UK that most of us over fifty are not particularly enamored of. Even with the changes, it seems to me to be a bit more civilized than the United States. Being a Redneck farm kid from Texas everyone thinks I am Merle Haggard when I sing country in a bar in London. Pretty funny stuff.

There was a good bit of humor in your post that made me laugh. You know...lol

Speaking of humor, as I was walking by the tellly, I assume that is how you spell a British idiomatic expression, this was said.

"I am now going back to the dating pool and I am sure there is pee in it.

I have a really difficult time spelling in any dialect of English. I just tell everyone I am dyslectic. That is better than saying I am too dumb to learn how to spell.

I blame it on the French, which is a large part of the English language. Nonphonetic craziness.

How do you spell Mo in French? Mot? If the T is silent why use it? Meaux, really? Even the French don't get mad at me making fun of the illogic of their language.

At least when I ride my recumbent trike on the sidewalks around here most everyone is pretty friendly. I always address them first in Spanish. This is northern Cuba where I live.

The other day I met someone while riding and I said hello. He said no Spanish, OK, English? No, French,No, I speak Arabic but that did not work. Well, I can say hello in several other languages but I was a little mystified by his accent. He finally got across to me he was from a very remote part of Russia with a dialect that was pretty much incomprehensible to me.

Not much direct spoken conversation but we both knew how to talk with our hands. Fun stuff.

I have in mind to place another ad in Los Angles for a vocalist. I live in Miami but people in California think cocaine will make up for the three-hour time differences. So they are pretty talkative.

Thanks for your post, it was pretty funny and informative.

And for some of you, I apologize for the verbosity of my post. I just don't know how to do monosyllabic writing.

TTLY,AMOF,ATB,

Cheers, M8

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/08/21 08:33 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Some of our strange spellings are down to trying to spell Anglo-Saxon words so that the Norman French could pronounce them properly. The Norman French were, of course, originally the Vikings and presumably their French was already weird by the standards of the day. The French, of course, also had several regional languages, too. They have several today ... Breton, Occitane, Basque.

I once had to communicate with someone in Portugal about a problem in a holiday let. He spoke Portuguese and another language I never quite worked out; I tried my limited French, Spanish, Italian, German and even more limited Portuguese. We managed somehow, though I don't too well remember how. Experimenting with words in several languages until we had some kind of a match, I think.

ATB.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Although it is becoming a bit less common, many if not most people in this country only speak English.

Of course, there is a lot of immigration so there are other languages spoken.

Being the center of the known universe, we have little reason to learn other languages. Even if we do decide to cross the pond we fully expect everyone to speak English and I don't mean the "Queen's English". American food and don't put me in one of those stupid little French cars...lol, The "ugly American" is not a myth. When I go to Europe I mostly speak French or Arabic at least in France where I have a house.

We are armed, dangerous, and unpredictable so better watch you P's and Q's...lol

Obviously, I am joking, but to some extent it is true.

We have killed everyone who got in our way since we got off the Mayflower. Just ask any American Indian or Mexican for that matter. There is racial discrimination every in the world but we WPAS are more guilty than most. OMG a Catholic president, what is the world coming to. Remember what happened to the last one. Pretty sad stuff when one thinks about it.

Excellent material for a song I think.

I got new musical toys to play with so catch you later. See you in the funny papers. Well if anyone has actually has seen a newspaper nowadays.

Cheers.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 11/08/21 10:27 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
During the seventies I was in Taiwan. I came across two oriental gentlemen trying to converse. One was raised in Taiwan during the Japanese occupation. The other was raised in mainland China and spoke Mandarin. Both spoke a little pidgin English.

I translated both sides of the conversation into English understandable enough for both to understand. Fun stuff.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Slightly irritatingly for we English, most of the world really speaks American, which is a little different. :-)

One of the frustrations of being a native English speaker is that, despite my efforts to speak other languages, nearly everyone replies in English and often wants to practice their English. Most know we're English before we even speak. Sigh.

I once went to a concert by a pair of guys, one beat-boxing, the other playing Kora. They each had a tiny bit of French, but mostly their communication was music. Great little concert!

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
a muso mate of mine once said there are 2 important things in life.
1. bubble and squeak with a beer
2. a beautifull woman with bubble and squeak and a beer,
that asks you up the 'apples and pears'... a la the python milkman sketch.

lol
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
a muso mate of mine once said there are 2 important things in life.
1. bubble and squeak with a beer
2. a beautifull woman with bubble and squeak and a beer,
that asks you up the 'apples and pears'... a la the python milkman sketch.

lol
om

Well...I hope to get back to the Bells before I die. I got fifty quid in my desk draw burning a hole in the drawer.
Perhaps that will still get us a King Lear.

It would be great to meet in person.

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
The general dumbing down and laziness of people anymore. I have an Echo Dot JUST to turn lights on and off and tell me the weather every morning.

"Echo good morning" turns my bedroom table lamp on. "Echo good night" turns it off. Could I reach over and turn it off by hand? Yep!! Turning it on in the dark though, I'd likely knock it off trying to find it. Thus the Echo. Could I look outside and see the weather with my own eyes? Yep! Is it easier to just say "Echo weather"? Also "Yep".

I also have one in the living room to turn on the living room lights when I come home at night. I also have those lights on a time for when I am gone for days at a a time, and on a schedule where they turn off between time A and time B so they don't come on at exactly the same time every night. A lot of it is "Because we have the tech available for us."

I once, just to do it, spent an entire day doing "stuff" and did not utter as much as a syllable to another human. I got money from the ATM, then went to the Amazon locker and got a package out. Then I drove through a Sheetz gas station and ordered a sandwich through the drive through, where you pay by swiping you card, pull up to the window and get your order. Went to the library, got a book and checked it out through self service. Did the same at the grocery store.

To some that level of misanthropy is awful. To me it was heaven. With the internet and next day delivery we can literally function without ever leaving the house. In the early months of Covid, I made note my my mileage on May 1st and again on the 31st and I had driven 42 miles that month. I filled my tank on May 1st and on the 31st I had 10 gallons left in my 12 gallon tank.

So the answer really comes down to "because we can". I personally hate the phone because the phone is a singular activity. When you talk on the phone, you talk on the phone. If I am in a chat conversation on my computer, I can play backgammon, or read news, or pay bills, or even watch a game while I chat on another screen. Depending on your take, I am rather ADD and my mind wanders so I need many places to focus, or I have the mind of an artist that never turns off. I have heard both options used to describe me. In my mind I am simply someone who is deeply immersed in all this technology that I love so much. When most of us were born there weren't even TVs unless you were somewhat affluent. Now I watch TV while driving my car! My father, born in 1917, was born when there was not yet air travel or television. In 1969 he saw television transmitted from the moon. As I sit here, I am typing this pos on one screen, watching Monday Night Football on another with the sound off, and watching Hoarders on the 3rd.

Because we can.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,706
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198