Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#685477 - 11/25/21 02:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What are BB users hoping mostly for from Band In A Box 2022 and any sign of release yet? [Re: malevans]
Loc: UK
Bob Calver Offline
Expert

Loc: UK
are we expecting any patches in December for BIAB 2021? and will they continue patches for 2021 in 2022 if necessary for people who don't upgrade?

do people still have issues? and will 2022 carry forward those issues? be interesting to see smile

#685478 - 11/25/21 02:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What are BB users hoping mostly for from Band In A Box 2022 and any sign of release yet? [Re: Bob Calver]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I doubt that they will produce patches for 2021 after build 845 unless there is a major issue identified that needs resolving.
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#685719 - Yesterday at 04:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What are BB users hoping mostly for from Band In A Box 2022 and any sign of release yet? [Re: malevans]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: malevans
....... Oh and more Midi pleeeeeeeeeeeeze.

Don't worry, we love MIDI!

Well I use an Audient iD22 Matt and us zero latency freaks often get messages like 'you must have the same sample rates in the prog you are using and the external sound module. BB kind of insists everything is done in 44.1 KHz 16 bit. I always work in 96 KHz 64 or 32 bit. Very frustrating at times. Cubase changes automatically when it notices a change in rates but not all DAW's do and it certainly renders the BB plugin useless unless I revert back to 44 KHz etc.

BIAB only insists on 44.1khz if you're using ASIO. If you switch to WAS or MME it'll run happily at 96khz or 192khz (the highest I can test) as will the plugin. ASIO forces your interface to 44,100Hz as it needs to synchronize your interface and software together, and currently that's the sample rate that BIAB requests. Basically, if you're running Cubase and BB at the same time, set BB to use WAS instead of ASIO.

Actually, there's really no need to use ASIO in BIAB except if you need low latency when you're recording something, and at that point it should be the only program running anyway.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, stability matters. laugh

I also have everything that I can set, set to 16-bit at 44.1 KHz. However I have on occasion run into hardware that insists on 24-bit, or 48 KHz. I remember one Roland unit that absolutely would not lock at 44.1 when I tried to connect using S/PDIF.

The request Mal made is not just over a discussion of desired recording quality, where we could get into a long discussion (please don't) of dithering and rate conversion. It also includes compatibility.

That's very true Matt. I have two interfaces here that only work at 48khz, and they're completely unusable in BIAB when using ASIO. WAS and MME work fine with them though. I've put in a request to the developers to have a choice in BIAB to specify the hardware sample rate when using ASIO, so hopefully they'll be able to implement that.

Originally Posted By: MikeK
I am mostly hoping that 2022 comes out sooner rather than later! laugh

I like your enthusiasm Mike!

Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
are we expecting any patches in December for BIAB 2021? and will they continue patches for 2021 in 2022 if necessary for people who don't upgrade?

do people still have issues? and will 2022 carry forward those issues? be interesting to see smile
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I doubt that they will produce patches for 2021 after build 845 unless there is a major issue identified that needs resolving.

Typically the developers release one, sometimes two, updates for the previous year's version after release of the new version - that's not set in stone though, just my observance over the years. After that they're concentrating on developing the next year's version.

#685783 - Today at 02:29 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What are BB users hoping mostly for from Band In A Box 2022 and any sign of release yet? [Re: malevans]
Loc: Hampshire, UK
Gordon Scott Offline
Apprentice

I always work in 96 KHz 64 or 32 bit.

FWIW, there's really no point in sampling higher that 32bit as that's already a huge dynamic range. The DAW itself will likely run floating-point now, so the samples will anyway almost certainly be changed to a float.

96kHz isn't unreasonable, though a bit debatable, though higher than that, again, would be pointless.
AVLinux: Saffire Pro 40.
Win8.1: BIAB2021 UltraPAK, Scarlett 8i6.

#685822 - Today at 07:36 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What are BB users hoping mostly for from Band In A Box 2022 and any sign of release yet? [Re: Gordon Scott]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

gordon. i agree.
i spoke to a programmer once who was deep into digital audio. which is why i settled on 44.1//24 bit recording.
apparently there is often lots of padding going on ?
at higher sampling rates ?
for a ruff demo song i even use reapers flac to record.
sounds good to me.

om

#685844 - Today at 10:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What are BB users hoping mostly for from Band In A Box 2022 and any sign of release yet? [Re: malevans]
Gordon Scott Offline
Apprentice

JOM,

I generally use 48kHz by choice and 44.1kHz when there's no choice. Personally I rarely bother with 96kHz because most people's ears can't tell the difference anyway, and certainly not my ears. 24bit sampling is perfectly adequate. 16bit is perhaps a bit restrictive for initial sampling as one doesn't want to accidentally run out of headroom. Once in the DAW, most samples are converted to floating point, so headroom is no longer an issue. For rendering, 16bit is fine unless one's very concerned about the highest quality, though few if any people can really hear the difference.

Where high sample rates do help is for "oversampling" right at the very start of the sampling chain, i.e., right where the pre-amp gets converted to digital, as a higher sample-rate allows better protection against aliases (e.g., not accidentally converting some noise at, say, 48kHz plus 47kHz into something audible) and by avoiding very sharp cut-off low-pass filters around the 20kHz area. One you have the samples, though, there's very little benefit in maintaining sampling above the 44.1/48 area.

One of the benefits of using floating-point data within the DAW, is that the degradations that used to be due to bad gain-staging pretty much just go away. No increase in noise if your signals are low, no risk of clipping if they're high. The maths just does it. Of course one can get the rendering levels wrong as one goes back to the 44.1kHz/16bit or whatever.

I did some comparisons years ago between various sample rates for mp3, ogg-vorbis and similar of flac, starting from some high quality CDs that I used for auditioning Hi-Fi kit.

As you would expect, higher compressions of mp3 and ogg-vorbis were not so good. High sample rates with low compression actually were pretty darned good ... most people wouldn't tell them from the originals.

The .flac files I'd made from the original CD .wav files I converted back to .wav and did a binary comparison with the original from which they were made. They were binary identical. Flac is totally lossless ... it does not degrade the signal at all.
AVLinux: Saffire Pro 40.
Win8.1: BIAB2021 UltraPAK, Scarlett 8i6.

#685907 - Today at 04:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What are BB users hoping mostly for from Band In A Box 2022 and any sign of release yet? [Re: Gordon Scott]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Gordon.
excellent comments.
what i find interesting is...whether one uses the highest of high end gear or the junkiest of junk gear , in the end it all comes down to the end product..the song.

for example i have friends that prefer some of my songs
done on oddball junk gear over ones i did in big studios
useing the best gear.
there is no magic gear solution imho.

i posted one of my oddball songs done useing junk
recently in the pg user showcase forum. it used a diy mic pre i built for 5 buckies with a couple of junk transistors,
and other junk gear. yet my friends prefer it to some songs done that i slaved over in studios.
now of course thats not always the case...but i often
ponder if there are recording forces at work teaching me a lesson...lol.
as in "buddy dont think you can spend your way to a great song".

right now i'm deep in the acw etc and figuring out how to add traks to some old demoes done on junk gear with tape minor fluctuating speeds...ie useing acw to generate tempo maps.
one of my wishes i posted in wishlist for 2022..
ie slow down play in acw main screen to help doing bar markers.

best
om

Edited by justanoldmuso (Today at 04:12 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

RealTracks Artist Pat Martino

We are saddened to hear of the passing of jazz guitar legend Pat Martino yesterday.

Pat was part of our RealTracks Artist "Jazz Pollwinners 2" series in 2014. You can learn about Pat and listen to his RealTracks contribution here.

Pat had been playing guitar since he was just 12 years old, and devoted himself to music in grade ten. On top of years of performing (he began playing professionally in 1961), Pat received many awards for his playing, including the "Jazz Legacy" Award in 2016 presented by Pennsylvania State Senator Vincent Hughes and his wife Sheryl Lee Ralph-Hughes.

Learn even more about Pat Martino when you visit his website, http://www.patmartino.com/.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Updates!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 users - a free update is available!

Using a Windows version? Your update resolves some reported bugs involving Song Memo, RealDrums, hot-keys, etc. Learn more & download - Windows.

Running the Mac version? The latest update for version 2021 improves Edit Audio functions, allows you to stop playback when using the StyleMaker, ensures tempo changes are included when exporting MIDI, and more! Learn more & download - Mac.

A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Forum Stats
35160 Members
62 Forums
71351 Topics
621870 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
alainjazz59, SWAY, JohnCoombs, DMain, Claudecir Lima

35160 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 280
Pipeline 242