You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#677464 - 10/12/21 07:30 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Power Tracks and Windows 11
Loc: Wisconsin
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Wisconsin
Will PT 2020 and 2021 work with Windows 11?
Thanks!

#677478 - 10/12/21 09:20 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Bernier]
Chantelle - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Bernier, we are still working on testing PowerTracks 2021 on Windows 11. We have tested Band-in-a-Box and RealBand on Windows 11 and so far both have been working. We speculate that PowerTracks 2021 will likely have similar results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUDCMnYpHdU

#684316 - 11/21/21 12:33 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Bernier]
Loc: Perth, Australia
Garth Bird Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth, Australia
Hi Bernier
I am testing PGmusic products on a Raspberry Pi400 with Windows 11 for ARM64 installed.

All 3 products open and run normally in the 2.9mB ram available.
Midi in and out plus midi to softsynth (Forte) runs efficiently and quickly.

RealTracks load as do styles but here I ran into available RAM limitations. Playing brings the machine to a very slow crawl. Swap file used needs an additional 4 gB memory and the swapping from disk creates a huge demand on resources.

I have ordered a Raspberry Pi4B 8gB model to at least alleviate the memory situation.

The switch to Linux saga continues!

Garth from Perth Aus.

#684958 - 11/23/21 05:56 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Bernier]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

I've been tempted to get myself a Pi 4 to try some of this out myself. Please keep us updated! You may want to start your own thread though, it would probably get more attention that way.

#685052 - 11/24/21 04:51 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Simon - PG Music]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

my xmas dream...sigh.
a 80 buk PI 6 cpu running at 5ghz..running biab/realband/and reaper with 2 usb c ports and other normal ports.
to stop me dreaming bout a 2k m1 mac i cant afford..lol.
om

#685163 - 11/24/21 09:59 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Bernier]
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Muso, a few numbers for you - you like numbers don'tcha?

The Pi 4 at 1.5ghz has a Geekbench score of 596, roughly the same as the Core2Duo from a 2009 Mac Mini (592 for the 2.53ghz one).

If the Pi 4's CPU was overclocked to 5ghz with no other architectural changes (and assuming it wouldn't catch fire immediately), it would theoretically benchmark around 1987, or about 20% faster than a 4th gen "mobile" i7 (from the 2014 Mac Mini, Geekbench 1631). The M1 is still nearly 4x as fast as that theoretical overclocked Pi 4 or 12.5x as fast not overclocked (M1 Geekbench 7401).

The M1 also has more memory available (up to 16gb instead of up to 8gb) and faster memory (68gb/sec vs 4.5gb/sec), and the storage speed is 60x as fast as the Pi 4's micro SD card (2700-ish mb/sec vs 45-ish mb/sec), or about 8x as fast as booting the Pi4 from a USB3 SSD (350-ish mb/sec).

Then we get the top end M1 Max Macbooks - Geekbench 12330, 64gb of 400gb/sec memory, 7.4gb/sec storage - or in other words completely dwarfs my monster i9 machine...

So, my thoughts - it was 7 years between the first Pi 1 and the current Pi 4, and in that time the CPU power increased about 30x. As things tend to happen exponentially, I figure it'll be another 5-7 years before the Pi can match the power of the M1.

#685250 - 11/24/21 04:30 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Simon - PG Music]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Simon.
dont get me wrong. the m1 is superb. but when one is reading bout possibility of an m2 coming along, and given that tech gets rapidly obsolete <<< thats my concern.

i would happily plop down the big buks for an m1 mac if i knew it was upgradeable with an m2 later on.
its not exactly a trivial spend. thus i feel at these prices , at least apple could offer an upgrade path to users spending at this high level....particularly as musicians struggle often to make a decent living for their families.

lets see how it pans out with PI.
cos from reading bout it, it seems the PI organisation isnt sitting still either...they MUST KNOW there is a huge potential user base worldwide lusting after a PI
that knocks the doors down at a cheap price.

imho apple need to follow the wallet friendly approach of your own pg org.
eg usb pen drive with biab and free rb costing 90 buks.
OR powertraks that i started on yonks ago that costs 49 buks.
both great deals/steals imho.

best.
om

Edited by justanoldmuso (11/24/21 04:31 PM)

#685495 - 11/25/21 05:05 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: justanoldmuso]
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

There's always new tech coming - if you always wait for what's around the corner you'll be stuck with only your existing tech!

They won't make M1's upgradable to M2 - last Mac that could have it's CPU upgraded was 2012, and that was a "refreshed" 2009 model! All CPU's since then have been soldered, and even I'm not good enough to tackle that upgrade.

The Pi will definitely advance, no worries there, but they'll always be quite a few rungs down the ladder. Our current Pi 4 is as fast as a 15 year old computer, meaning likely 15 years from now the Pi will be about as fast as today's computers. That's how they keep the prices down.

I agree that Apple should have a more budget option, like the Mac Mini used to be. Those are now "bread and butter" so to speak, so the prices have risen.

#685504 - 11/25/21 06:45 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Simon - PG Music]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Simon.
well i'm not too bothered.

i still think one of the best cheap deals around is your 11400 processor idea in a desktop stuffed with ram and ssd's. or my other fav.. off lease refurb hp z or lenovo workstation monster desktop stuffed with ram and ssd's.
a friend of mine actually bought one of the latter ..
after i mentioned it to him...
a Z...he is as happy as anything. loves the thing.
over the moon with it.

either the 11400 or a Z would easily handle anything
i would throw at it for song production cos i dont go nuts on crazy high trak and plug in counts.
i adhere to .."sometimes less is more".

keeping the discussion powertraks related , i used to crank out tunes yonks ago useing ptraks on an amd athlon
desktop. so 11400 or a Z refurb is a major step up...lol.

actually lets see how intel responds to apple doing its own silicon..maybe we will see some big price drops on the higher end intel processors to keep people from getting a m1 or a possibly coming m2 mac.
interesting times.

best.
pm

Edited by justanoldmuso (11/25/21 06:47 PM)

#685725 - Yesterday at 04:39 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Bernier]
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

I'd still aim for the 11400 approach, since the old workstations likely won't support NVMe drives, and those make a HUGE difference in perceived speed vs SATA SSD's. The 11400 will use less electricity as well, so lower cost of ownership and less heat produced.

The only real advantage to the old workstations is for video editing, since most Xeon-based systems have more PCIe lanes available. My old LGA2011/X79 system has 40 PCIe lanes vs only 16 in my i9, meaning more bandwidth available for multiple GPU's. That said, in some older systems if they only have PCIe 2.0 each lane will be slower than PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 in a newer system, so a single new GPU would be faster for most people.

None of that makes a difference for PowerTracks or BB, so I'd go with the newer system smile

#685824 - Today at 07:44 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Power Tracks and Windows 11 [Re: Simon - PG Music]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Simon.
i gotta agree with you.
i'm currently looking at 11400 with couple of nvme ssd,
and 32 gigs ram...desktop.

ive kinda gone off laptops, cos desktops more expandeable.
problem with one drive laptops is win plus recording daw
etc on same drive. i like to put win on its own seperate drive,
and daw //recording on its own drive also.

om

PG Music News
Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

RealTracks Artist Pat Martino

We are saddened to hear of the passing of jazz guitar legend Pat Martino yesterday.

Pat was part of our RealTracks Artist "Jazz Pollwinners 2" series in 2014. You can learn about Pat and listen to his RealTracks contribution here.

Pat had been playing guitar since he was just 12 years old, and devoted himself to music in grade ten. On top of years of performing (he began playing professionally in 1961), Pat received many awards for his playing, including the "Jazz Legacy" Award in 2016 presented by Pennsylvania State Senator Vincent Hughes and his wife Sheryl Lee Ralph-Hughes.

Learn even more about Pat Martino when you visit his website, http://www.patmartino.com/.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Updates!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 users - a free update is available!

Using a Windows version? Your update resolves some reported bugs involving Song Memo, RealDrums, hot-keys, etc. Learn more & download - Windows.

Running the Mac version? The latest update for version 2021 improves Edit Audio functions, allows you to stop playback when using the StyleMaker, ensures tempo changes are included when exporting MIDI, and more! Learn more & download - Mac.

A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Forum Stats
35160 Members
62 Forums
71352 Topics
621880 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
alainjazz59, SWAY, JohnCoombs, DMain, Claudecir Lima

35160 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 280
Pipeline 241