Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty,

I start with your so nice compliments (thanks for that):

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, yeah, that day. That would be cool to remember the day you learned to walk. Good song, Hans, and a special Happy New Year to you, and I really like your enthusiasm for 2022. The band is good and tight, and the mix is perfect. Your vocal is always my favorite part. Not a fan of the 8th-note bass. however; it seems to take away from the dynamics in the changes.

And now my reaction to some of the remarks you made. I agree that it would be something if you could remember when you start walking or talking. But that was not what I meant. It was meant metaphorical, learning how society wants you to behave. I could have writen this more clearly, but I hoped this was clear enough. Apparently not...

The other remarks I can only love, but about the bass I thought it would have blown you away ( in a positive way).
Now I wonder how I could have done that differently without loosing that mood in the song.

But whatever,
A very nice and musicall 2022!
Hans

Yes, I got the metaphor and it threw me into a what-if (followed closely be a why-not). Silly thought-experiments play in my mind all the time and I let them. Now about the bass, please keep in mind how many comments said they really like it. They far outweigh my slant. It DOES drive the song and the mood.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Floyd, TuneMonger Ember and Andi,

To all of you a very good 2022 in all respects, especially musically!
It was very nice reading your posts on the song, where I thought all of you were celebrating a Christmas holiday.
But I forgot writing posts is some kind of cebrating holidays...

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,
A good write.
Excellent vocals. Might be your best yet. Very nicely mixed.
The BAND sounds good. LOVE the bass sound - and the way it carries the production.
Good arrangement. good mix. cool ending.
VERY much enjoyed!!
fj

Floyd, those exclamation marks at the end of your very nice compliments made me happy. Thanks for that!
It was a great relief there was no mentioning of 'hot' vocals...

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I thought the arrangement was one of your best, maybe the best. I loved the bridge, wish it had lasted a bit longer. I had to look up the word preceptor, I didn't know it.
Nice work!

TuneMonger, when working on this song, by accident I heard that sound I used in the bridge alone. I loved it too!
And it gave me some pleasure you had to look up that word. Funny was that one of my sons, who speaks English also very well, asked me some days ago about the meaning of that word too. So I told him even native speakers had to look it up...
I loved your compliments but hope my best song is still to come!

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This was a really thought provoking song, and I think you did a great job with the arrangement. Thanks for sharing!

Ember, thanks for your very kind words on the lyrics and composition. As I wrote it had something to do with a meeting I had with someone I had last seen for 35 years. She only remembered me and my guitar, but not much else. That brought me to these lyrics.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Hans
This is a great song
Great band, great vocals and great sound
I like it really well
The end is great
Great work, Hans
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Andi, very, very kind of you to write it this way. A buch of compliments from beginning to end! Thanks for that!

So, thanks again everyone and stay safe,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting lyrics, there are certainly couple of days that teach us more than normal days or people around us.
Enjoyed the mostly minor chord progression.
Clever selection of guitars, the baritone, the solo guitar and especially RT3724. Good use of effects and mixing of the solo guitar.
Very nicely flowing arrangement with instruments coming in and out.
Pleasantly dynamic vocals from soft to harder edge.
Overall, very good bluesy pop song to start another year. Have a creative year 2022!

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Well-constructed song and brilliantly executed. Loved the transition just before the bridge. Very emotive, atmospheric. Well done.

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, 'Birchwood'...

Regardless of how biographical (or not) the story behind the song is, 'That Day' was a momentous one as communicated through your introspective lyrics. They frame your song in a way not unlike a window that admits only a view of part of the vast, troubled sky beyond it, so that our ears, like our vision, are compelled to focus on the drama that is so urgently described within its boundaries.

Put another way, the lyrics are like a lens that magnifies the feel of the apparently fateful experience that you had on 'that day'. It's as though you were sharing a dark secret with us. Powerful, intimately rendered wordcraft, indeed!

Your Real Tracks and Real Drums elections have an easy, folk-rock feel to them that provide an interesting musical contrast to the somber, wounded tone of the lyrics. The choral/vocal harmonies raised the emotional temperature of the song to a thrilling degree.

All-in-all, I believe I just listened to a very skillfully composed song.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Ray, Scott, Ezekiel and Dave,

Thanks for your kind comments on the song and a very nice 2022!
I saw you added your contributes for this New Year on the forum.
I want to listen to them all, but give me some time... It's busy overhere.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Good groove and a a good set of chords.
HANDS DOWN one of your best vocal performances Hans.
I di think the lead guitar at the beginning was a little brittle/crisp but it was gone soon enough.
The slightly off centre lead solo was better though oddly off the middle but, again, it came and went so no biggie.

Wow, Ray, this is a huge compliment from you. I think I never received one of these ever before from you!
On the other hand, it hurts me a little you called it on of my best performances. I loved some of my earlier songs a bit more.
But I also saw it as a compliment on my mixing and mastering. That has improved I think. Don't know if it stays that way...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Happy new Year Hans. Excellent tune. Super vocal. Loved the lyric. Excellent backtrack. The quiet break in the middle was a nice touch. Well done...

Scott, that little break... A lot of you mentioned it. And as I wrote to some, I liked how it worked out at last. In the beginning i had some issues with it's sound. But thanks a lot!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your vocal conveys the emotion well here. Very good performance.
I particularly like the piano track you used.

Ezekiel, very nice of you to say. And that piano track was indeed a very nice one here.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Hans,
Man, your memory is much better than mine! wink
Seriously though, a very good song! I really like the concept of growing and learning along the way.
Love the change at 2:20, also the way you ended the song, nicely done.
Excellent vocal, lots of passion.
Good song to end off the year I think.

Dave, I think you are right. I have a great memory. I know my first word as well (I think I was twelve).
Nice you liked the song and the little bridge. But keep in mind the song finally deals with forgetting. Now I only remember yesterday. Oh! And today when listening to your beautiful Wheels of Fortune. You have a very good voice!

Have a nice day everyone,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Late to the party, but not too late to enjoy the song!

I agree with the others - solid tune with a driving bass. Coo; (and unexpected) bridge.

Cool harmony.

Happy (Belated) New Year!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Peter, Mario and Al,

I'm a bit behind with answering your very kind posts. Sorry for that.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans
Really good song, nice work on the production and an excellent vocal.
Very enjoyable all round.
Peter

Peter, thanks for your nice comment. I hope to continue collecting your kind of comments ;-)

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hans, on this day I heard That Day grin
This is a great song.
Super vocal.
Loved that bass! Great chops!
Mixed like a pro.

Mario, when reading that first line I thought now the memory thing comes, but not ;-)
Thanks for your so nice compliments on the whole range of the song. I hope I can keep that level!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hans ...

Sorry I'm late to this. Di and I have been very sick since Christmas day.
This is a great song in all respects! Thought-provoking lyric and great mixing of the band. This is really terrific! Best to you in the New Year ...
Alan

Alan, I think I win with being late. I have a lot of excuses of course, but still it is not nice of me. But all the best for you and Di this year. I think you need it, as I read how ill you both were in december...
And it is very nice of you to give me this very nice compliment on the range of the making of this song. As I wrote to Mario, I hope I can continuate that level. You are the one telling me...

So I wish you all at least a very nice weekend within the nice new year (can you follow me?)
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Strong tune with excellent message. Nice groove and instrumental arrangement. Catchy. It seems you figured out mixing of your vocals smile Well balanced tune. Good one! Thank you for sharing and Happy new year!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Marty (again), Janne, Ghostgum, Bluage, David and Misha,

Thanks for your nice posts. They were all very nice to read.

Marty, I didn't copy your last post, but I was curious what other bass I could have used. And because you are the master on the bass you have to tell it me onde day. I read about your bucketlist, so there comes a nice time to tell me...

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Interesting lyrics, there are certainly couple of days that teach us more than normal days or people around us.
Enjoyed the mostly minor chord progression.
Clever selection of guitars, the baritone, the solo guitar and especially RT3724. Good use of effects and mixing of the solo guitar.
Very nicely flowing arrangement with instruments coming in and out.
Pleasantly dynamic vocals from soft to harder edge.
Overall, very good bluesy pop song to start another year. Have a creative year 2022!
Janne

Janne, that was a very nice post you wrote. There is much to say about 'that day' for all of us. For me the thing I learned was that you have to do it all by yourself. I hoped there would have been a preceptor, but I had to create that too.
But the nice, or sad part is when you start forgetting it all until only a few memories are left. This is not the case (yet) with me, but when I met that person I saw that.
And thanks for the nice things you said on the instrumental parts.

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Well-constructed song and brilliantly executed. Loved the transition just before the bridge. Very emotive, atmospheric. Well done.

Ghostgum, it came by accident, that transition, as you called it, but I liked it instantly. At first I wanted to give it more bars, but i think that would have been a bad idea. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, 'Birchwood'...
Regardless of how biographical (or not) the story behind the song is, 'That Day' was a momentous one as communicated through your introspective lyrics. They frame your song in a way not unlike a window that admits only a view of part of the vast, troubled sky beyond it, so that our ears, like our vision, are compelled to focus on the drama that is so urgently described within its boundaries.

Put another way, the lyrics are like a lens that magnifies the feel of the apparently fateful experience that you had on 'that day'. It's as though you were sharing a dark secret with us. Powerful, intimately rendered wordcraft, indeed!

Your Real Tracks and Real Drums elections have an easy, folk-rock feel to them that provide an interesting musical contrast to the somber, wounded tone of the lyrics. The choral/vocal harmonies raised the emotional temperature of the song to a thrilling degree.
All-in-all, I believe I just listened to a very skillfully composed song.

Bluage, what a nice way of telling me your feelings about the song and lyrics! Very clever! Although partially not what I meant to say. There was no real dark secret. There was a sad / ironic situation (first you had to learn a lot and then all got lost because of a type of amnesia). But how you thought of it is very nice and in a way beautiful. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Late to the party, but not too late to enjoy the song!
I agree with the others - solid tune with a driving bass. Coo; (and unexpected) bridge.
Cool harmony.
Happy (Belated) New Year!

David, I think I am late too with answering your post! And 'that bridge' was mentioned by nearly all. So it was a success, although not intentionally at first.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Strong tune with excellent message. Nice groove and instrumental arrangement. Catchy. It seems you figured out mixing of your vocals smile Well balanced tune. Good one! Thank you for sharing and Happy new year!
Misha.

Misha, thanks for your nice comment. I am not sure if I conquered the mixing process on the vocals, but in this song it went well.
there is always that eq problems in a certain range, also because my tinitus lives there...

Have a very nice day everyone,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Excellent song & production... Enjoyed.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,387
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.