You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#696298 - 01/05/22 02:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Bass Guitar Wishes
Bass Thumper Offline
Apprentice

As a student of the bass guitar and a novice with BiaB I'd like to request 3 features. I apologize if these are already somehow included in the software. If they are it would be nice to know how to accomplish these tasks.

1. Offer a choice between 3 bass line complexities; an intermediate bass line(which could be what is being used now), a busy bass line and a very busy bass line.

2. Independent from #1, offer choices for the register in which the bass line is primarily played. Choices here could be low(lower end of the neck), medium(central part of the neck) and high(upper end of the neck).

3. Allow the individual notes of the BiaB bass line to be captured and "exported", bar by bar to a file or screen where they could be viewed and played by the software. Perhaps these bass notes could be captured in the existing SGU file but by default hidden from view so as not to clutter it up too much. But for those who want to view it they could select a "Display Bass Notes" button.

Perhaps these features could be offered in the mixer window?

Taken together, these capabilities would result in a very powerful learning/practice tool for bass players. Of course this could be extended to other instruments as well.

Many thanks and keep up the good work . . . BiaB is awesome smile

#696300 - 01/05/22 02:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Bass Guitar Wishes [Re: Bass Thumper]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

There are some interesting ideas here.

I'll just mention a few things that you probably know, but just in case:

1. In my experience, I often think the BIAB bass playing is too busy, and I select the 'simpler' option in the RealTracks picker. I play jazz and have worked with some of the world's best bassists such as Dave Holland, so I'm not at all against aggressive bass playing; I just think it's sometimes too much in BIAB. I cannot imagine a setting to make it 'busier' but this is the Wishlist, and if that's what you want, request a 'busier' choice in the RealTracks picker. +1

2. I'm not sure this works in RealTracks but have you tried Options, Channels and change the Octave column? For bass, it's -1 by default and you could try 0 to raise the playing up one octave, for example. But I suspect you mean an 'approach' to playing that would have to be recorded by the artist. David Bromberg often plays leads on a piccolo bass. Others stay higher on the neck by choice. If that's what you mean, +1

3. If a RealTrack such as bass has notation, it's for educational purposes. It lacks performance subtlety. Nevertheless, I've had good success exporting the notation as MIDI and playing it back with a different MIDI synth.

Is any of this helpful at all? I don't play bass (except on my wind controller) and may not be understanding what you want.

BIAB 2022 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Swam horns, Audition, Notion 7; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#696320 - 01/05/22 04:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Bass Guitar Wishes [Re: Bass Thumper]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Good thoughts but

1- I think it should be very simple, intermediate, and busy with busy being what it is now. This might require three different RT bass tracks.

2- This is very easy with MIDI and the right bass synth. For RTs it would require tripling the bass line and the user would select which one to use and where.

3- Again with MIDI this is easy. As Matt pointed out if the RT bass has a line under it it also has a MIDI version of the track, minus some nuances like string bends, vibrato etc.

Also in BiaB's Audio/Audio Transcribe (monophonic) BiaB will take a monophonic track, most all RT bass tracks are monophonic, and convert it to a MIDI track, again minus some nuances. You may have to do some editing to the MIDI track, don't know for sure as I never use it.

Not to rain on your parade but when you add the 3 bass lines along with the 3 fret positions you can have a number of different RTs just for the bass line. For those working with RTs it may be worth the disc space. Since I work mostly in MIDI, can write my own bass lines, and can play my own bass lines via my electric basses I really have no interest in this.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#696327 - 01/05/22 05:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Bass Guitar Wishes [Re: Bass Thumper]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Mario make a good point that the answer here differs whether you are talking MIDI or RealTracks, with the notation overlap on some RealTracks.

This is your wish, and if you want busier, it’s your call..
BIAB 2022 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Swam horns, Audition, Notion 7; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#696368 - 01/06/22 12:45 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Bass Guitar Wishes [Re: Bass Thumper]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
AudioTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'm certainly not a bass player, but have reviewed the requests, and find them to be quite reasonable.

For #2, it would be great if this was a local setting to the song, and not a global setting.

+1
BIAB & RB2022(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#698809 - 01/16/22 09:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Bass Guitar Wishes [Re: Bass Thumper]
Bass Thumper Offline
Apprentice

I have an edit to my wish list. Because of the kind help I've received from a participant here over the past few days I've become aware that BiaB can in fact capture and export/print the bass notes played in a chord sheet. So we can remove item #3 off of my original post. Clearly I'm just a newbie with much to learn regarding BiaB . . .

Thanks to all that showed interest in this. I'm seeing that there is a great community of folks here smile

PG Music News
Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"

Getting together and playing music and writing songs is a wonderful way to spend some free time!

Recently, a few of our Forum members did just that... and they made a video to prove it!

Check out what Charlie Fogle, Eddie, Herb, Pat Marr, David Snyder got up to - and how they did it: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"

...hopefully it inspires you to keep the fun in making music!

How to: Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®

Starting with a RealStyle in Band-in-a-Box®, and want to make one of your tracks a MIDI track? See how this is done using the MIDI Track Picker dialog with our video How to Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Band-in-a-Box® Tuba RealTracks

Today (May 6) is International Tuba Day!

Celebrate your love for the Tuba today - add one of our Tuba RealTracks (available in Sets 143, 162, and 248) played by either Brad Muirhead or Philip Santner.

Already have a Band-in-a-Box® song with a Tuba? Share it here!

How to: Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

Looking for a specific RealTrack for your song? See how easy it is to search by keyword or file name when you watch our latest video, How to Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Today!

Using Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows? Great news! We've released a free update that enhances many of the MIDI features and Drum Stems tracks, updates the program manual and documentation, and resolves a few user reported issues.

This free update includes additional enhancements to the DAW Plugin, and updates it to version 4.5.33.

Make sure you download this free update today!

Learn more...

How to: Capturing and Adding a Screenshot to the PG Music Forums

The PG Music Forums is packed with an incredibly active community, always happy to discuss and share Band-in-a-Box tips, help with any questions other users have, and of course share their songs!

Want to know how to add a screenshot to your forum post? Follow the steps in our helpful video tutorial.

Band-in-a-Box® Utility Tracks User Tip

#TipTuesday

Utility Tracks were added to Band-in-a-Box® with version 2021. With this feature, there are now 16 editable Utility tracks in Band-in-a-Box®, which can be used for audio and/or MIDI! Generate RealTracks, RealDrums, MIDI tracks, and you can even record or import existing Audio or MIDI files to these tracks!

See how forum user justanoldmuso utilizes this feature to streamline their workflow with their recent post, Side benefit of biab added utility tracks.

Forum Stats
36038 Members
64 Forums
74394 Topics
652827 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
hughie, cornbread, ivova61, revnev, robertjohn5814

36038 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 134
MarioD 119