Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
If you post some example youtube videos it might help get things started.

If I guess right, young people listen to such music now! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_wn8mexmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZLi9oWNZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwWNGJdvx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31crA53Dgu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfs8NYg7yQM

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Expert
Online Confused
Expert
"Kids these days, with their surfboards and hula-hoops"
grin;-)

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Veteran
Veteran
Watched each of them. OK, I'm officially old now.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jazzman
I totally agree with Matt and get fed up with people
who claim to represent everyone

They don’t. They claim to represent modern, inventive young people vs. nostalgic, stuck-in-the-past old folks.

It is poetically bizarre to see such a post reposted at 10 year intervals – some users replying now replied then! I wonder who will be having this discussion in 2032? Perhaps by then BIAB will have split into two different versions, “BIAB Classic” and “BIAB Modern”, as has been suggested.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/18/22 07:26 AM.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
blochead..rofl.

sbmix.
listened to those you tube vids.

how to do in realband.
1. isolate drum samples you want by going to end of
real drums in bb dir. (copy out DONT CHANGE) OR
free one shots from royalty free sites on the net OR
i have a ton of computer music mag drum/bass samples
etc and other sounds on cm mag dvd.
2. in rb arrange samples in the time line on different traks. OR you can use a sample player plug in loaded
in rb to play the samples.
3. get a number good singers in and record them over the beats/whatever samples bed you recorded.

above is a rough production outline. and depends on the song. you could also load royalty free loops and then
record the singers..then haveing finished recording the singers ....work finessing the bed traks/additions etc.

the above could be done in any daw. no biggie.
i just dont see what the big deal is.
all the tools are in bb and rb you need possibly
augmented by freely available low cost/free sample libraries. irrespective ...those you tube songs you linked to were lots of work. of that i'm sure...its the nature of doing songs.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/18/22 04:50 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Those are mostly just straight drum and bass with processed vocals.

One oddity I notice from two and from a couple you've posted in the past is the presence of that same arpegiated ping-pong synthesiser. That's at least four tracks that have that same sound.

I have to be honest, though, and say that I can only watch/listen to this stuff for a minute or two before I get bored.

I guess as I get older my patience wears thinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCIHPdx1OAs

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I find threads like this very interesting. Things like quarter tones, drum stems sans bleeding, contemporary drum patterns, changing synth sounds during a song, etc have been available in MIDI for years.

IMHO RTs are a great tool but not necessarily the only tool you should rely on for every task. YMMV

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I'm old, too ...

This to me is music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWcPBQ2qe6E

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Veteran
I want to thank Swingbabymix for posting samples of the kind of music he or she wants to make. That's very helpful.

What's old is new again.
I heard (and see) a strong influence of the 1980s in those videos. Post-disco plus bubble gum, but very well produced. The first one had some songwriting skill. The only thing not up-to-date is the absence of abundant major seconds in the melody.

I don't think BIAB is the way I would want to try to produce songs like that even if I did find drums and bass that fit; I think loops in a DAW might be the key. But I'm too busy breaking new ground in contemporary Brazilian jazz to spend any time on this.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
No need to make a beatbox out of BIAB. There are gazillion of loop / synth things and drum machines available within samplers/ synths like Kontakt/Komplete, Halion and many others that you can use as a plugin(s) within BIAB and feed individual midi tracks or chord track directly to these to play along with your RT's Rds and Midi arrangement.

I value BIAB specifically for traditional performances / instruments... you know the ones people actually played. I would not mind couple of more Loop Sets and Modern midi styles, sure that is a good thing.

This is in line with "wishes", but the easiest way to get "modern" Midi lines would be a simple and universal style converter from great thousands of styles (free and paid) of Yamaha / Roland / Korg to BIAB. For it to be "User Friendly" it has to be integrated.

One other item that I stressed a few days ago that in my opinion should be there in the first place, is to have ability to easily audition and pick out individual MIDI stems from PG MIDI styles. Many style instrumental parts are very usable for making modern type music, but proper workflow is simply not there yet. Hopefully that will change.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
If you post some example youtube videos it might help get things started.

If I guess right, young people listen to such music now! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_wn8mexmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZLi9oWNZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwWNGJdvx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31crA53Dgu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfs8NYg7yQM

Banal, auto-tuned tripe masquerading as music.

Age comes with perspective and discernment. That's why "youth is wasted on the young." grin

Regards,

Old Bob

Expert
Online Confused
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
No need to make a beatbox out of BIAB.

One other item that I stressed a few days ago that in my opinion should be there in the first place, is to have ability to easily audition and pick out individual MIDI stems from PG MIDI styles. Many style instrumental parts are very usable for making modern type music, but proper workflow is simply not there yet. Hopefully that will change.

+++1

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Veteran
Veteran
We have no idea if Swingbabymix is young. And no good can come from denigrating someone’s choice in music. Describing, yes, that’s fair.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Banal, auto-tuned tripe masquerading as music.

I feel like that about it, too, but it's what sbmix wants. OK, that's fine, each to their own.

What I find rather anachronistic puzzling is that he/she/other seems to want to produce computer-generated-sounding music froma program that, on the whole, is trying to make computer-generated music sound more more like it was played by musicians.

More than that, though; the computer-generated-sounding music is mostly made with quantisation that's generally more easily done in a DAW, with loops whether found or played, with Fx and processing that a DAW is arguably better at ... reverse sounds seem very popular.

Getting a tight beat like those videos is pretty easy in BiaB, certainly with MIDI. Interesting bass should be fairly easy ditto, though slap-bass loops are probably easier. The vocals is his/her/others stated interest, so presumably recording that is fine. The challenge is getting from there to an end result.

As justanoldmuso says:
Quote:
"those you tube songs you linked to were lots of work. of that i'm sure...its the nature of doing songs."

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
We have no idea if Swingbabymix is young. And no good can come from denigrating someone’s choice in music. Describing, yes, that’s fair.

I apologize for breaching "Matt's Rules Of Etiquette", but I thought I was describing his/her/they/them's choice in music.

"Banal, auto-tuned tripe masquerading as music." grin

Expert
Expert
We have no idea if Swingbabymix is young.

He said he is 40. I guess he could be 41 now. I would consider this kind of thing way off topic but for the fact that he keeps bringing up the youth versus age thing.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/18/22 10:32 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Mark.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
BIAB's various styles are mainly displayed through guitar and piano.
In fact, the songs that many young people like in modern times have very few guitars. Most are electronic instruments instead of guitars.
BIAB developers should take note of this and react quickly.
I'm not saying it's bad right now, I just hope it's better.
What do you think?

It is great for us to have specific examples of songs. These should be added to the style wishlist area as well.

Just to point out, that you can already do a song like Shape of You (one of the examples) in Band-in-a-Box. I just found a style and did the entire song right now in less than a minute. Here's how..

1. Open StylePicker, type Shape of You in the Song Titles field and press Enter.
2. Audition the first few styles, chose "SELEKT.STY
3. Typed in the four chords into the first two bars of the song C#m F#m A B.
4. Since the song is just a 4 chord loop, you can just repeat chords (you can use hotkeys like "k" (Quick Copy). Adjusted tempo.
Done

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"Jazz music is of the devil" "Blues is of the devil" "Rock n Roll music is of the devil"...."Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news......I've got no kick against modern jazz unless they try to play it too darn fast."

There are easy things that can be done with Biab to allow current/modern music styles. To be able to change Loops at any bar, drag n drop loops from a Loop picker into the timeline of Audio Edit and fitting with the Acid info, have Midi Loops that will fit to the chord. As said before MIDISuperTracks with current instruments and beats with a Synth. You need to get a younger audience coming to Biab, maybe when the BBPlugin gets sorted out the Standalone BBPlugin would be the way so they don't do their head in trying to work out Biab.

Expert
Expert
Thanks, Mark.

No problem, I looked it up in my Wheeldex.

Anyway. I admire your patience here and I understand and respect why you might disapprove of some of what I've said. But it's hard to get things like this out of my head when I see it being repeated again and again:

Quote:
If you don’t change or keep up with the times, you can easily be eliminated. I found that many people who use BAND IN A BOX are middle-aged and elderly people. Maybe this is the positioning of BAND IN A BOX, right?

Man, that kind of thing would get your [*****] hauled into HR in any modern office.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,351
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.