Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
BIAB's various styles are mainly displayed through guitar and piano.
In fact, the songs that many young people like in modern times have very few guitars. Most are electronic instruments instead of guitars.
BIAB developers should take note of this and react quickly.
I'm not saying it's bad right now, I just hope it's better.
What do you think?

If I guess right, young people listen to such music now! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_wn8mexmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZLi9oWNZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwWNGJdvx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31crA53Dgu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfs8NYg7yQM

Last edited by swingbabymix; 01/18/22 03:55 AM.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
cxp Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Here is a comment I made back in 2012. Not much has changed since then. Even the MIDI Super Tracks focus on traditional instrumentation that more easily translates to MIDI for novices (piano, bass, etc.):

"I sometimes am discouraged by the number of comments I see that assume the most important capability of MIDI is to emulate traditional instruments. I am most entertained by the things that are impossible for traditional instruments to accomplish and can only be done by MIDI and computers. These are new capabilities that can advance music into new territory and create new genres.

However, I don't think this forum is the best place to look for people who share this view because I don't believe it is frequented by a representative cross-section of BIAB users. We all understand that the regular forum contributors are typically older and not much interested in new sounds or new genres.

But a lot of this can already be accomplished by simply ignoring the BIAB style labels and GM instrumentation and substituting unexpected MIDI sounds and patches along with new loop capabilities. This can definitely make any MIDI style sound completely different than its original intent. That to me is the most important argument for MIDI development in addition to more RealTracks.

But it sure would be nice to see these concepts appreciated in new MIDI style development."

This is certainly a generality and there are users who will say they are older and use MIDI, but they are clearly swimming upstream.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
We all understand that the regular forum contributors are typically older and not much interested in new sounds or new genres.

Wow, you make is sound like such a bad thing... The fact is you are only half right. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: cxp
This is certainly a generality and there are users who will say they are older and use MIDI,
but they are clearly swimming upstream.

My joke about salmon met with disapproval. Let me just point out that your earlier impressions were from 2012, so hopefully today's modern geriatric is more open-minded. I do not share your perception that the elderly scorn MIDI.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/17/22 11:13 AM.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
re "..typically older and not much interested in new sounds or new genres."
well this doesnt apply to me a "resisting gradually ageing" type.
i can assure you. lol.
i'm always searching for new sounds and techniques that will give my crazy song creations an edge. as evinced in my posts in the pg wishes forums.
eg ive stated in the past that some sound pictures of
real traks sound "blah"...and that i want a ton of new
rt's and orchestral sounds that prod my inner creativity.
and my soul. many times i spend lots of time manipulating rt's into a different sound picture to get what i hear in my head.
for example recently i manipulated a rt solo to sound like a gaggle of geese effect i wanted in a certain song i was doing.
best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/17/22 11:48 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
..............We all understand that the regular forum contributors are typically older and not much interested in new sounds or new genres.

WRONG That is the worst kind of generalization one can make without any data to back it up. I for one look for new genres and sounds and I don't think that I am alone. I think your remarks should be generated at PGM as they are the ones that are dragging their feet. I think they should come up with more genres and add accompanying sounds to the SFZ.

This is certainly a generality and there are users who will say they are older and use MIDI, but they are clearly swimming upstream.

I am older, well really just old, but I do not swim upstream. At my age I just ride along with the current, much like a lazy river.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
As I suggested before, you can have Electronic MIDISuperTrax and have a synth with lots of presets to go with them.
I could make some up right now but they haven't implemented the MidiUserTracks yet.
If they don't do neither:
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I can make up a script that will read the Biab song.SGU then read a chosen SGU & midi file UserTrack then piece it together to fit the chord sheet. It will also play a Hold or Shot from the
UserTrack Holds.SGU
UserTrack Holds.mid
So the midi file will be created and then can be dragged into Biab or a DAW, might even be able to put it into a VST form.

Veteran
Veteran
This comment:

We all understand that the regular forum contributors are typically older and not much interested in new sounds or new genres.

is both offensive and wrong.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
I do listen to a lot of songs that young people like, and there's no guitar from start to finish. But still sounds great. It feels very modern.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
The guitar is an emotional instrument. The guitar can also convey all emotions.

It's just that there are too many new forms of songs. I also hope that BIAB can do it. This may be an expectation of choosing BIAB.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Having more Electronic Styles/instruments/beats will attract more younger users to Biab. I think Biab mainly uses Loops for these:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB22-Loops.png (10.4 KB, 401 downloads)
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Having more Electronic Styles/instruments/beats will attract more younger users to Biab. I think Biab mainly uses Loops for these:

Are these all BIAB drums?
Actually, I would replace all the drums of all the BIABs.
Because I think the drum beats have a huge impact on the song. However, BIAB's drums were not what I wanted.
I now use UJAM drums, REFX NEXUS drums, VPS AVENGER drums to replace BIAB drums.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think they are mostly Drums & Bass.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
I think they are mostly Drums & Bass.

Now many trendy pop songs may only have a drum, bass, and electronic sound. But the timbre changes.
Maybe BIAB can't do it? So, only piano, guitar all the time?
Although there is some electro-pop music in BIAB, it has a different feel to the current popular electro-pop music.
I can feel it. I believe other friends can feel it better.

Expert
Expert
I think there is a basic flaw in the original question. Firstly there are still only 12 notes in a major/minor scale. BIAB and RB are stuck with that when it comes to midi. (I know eastern music uses quarter tones but that really complicates things with a chord based program like BIAB)

with that in mind any midi part already in BIAB can be played on a synth patch. but then you come to the problem of sound. synths are totally flexible. for a RealTrack audio recording the synth sound may not be what i am looking for but i would be stuck with it. and who decides what sound to record in the first place?

but with midi there are numerous free synths - i have crystal which works with sforzando. but to get the sound i want i need to play with the synth settings.

a piano to a large extent is a piano - rhodes, upright, grand etc. but synth sounds are a whole new can of worms.

so what do you want the synth to play? surely there is a midi part in BIAB somewhere? but what do you want to play it on? set your own sound on the synth of your choice.

i'm sure the OP has something in his head - and it's probably achievable in BIAB but it will take a little work. but getting that sound in BIAB courtesy of PG Music - who are not mind readers - at the touch if a button without making an effort is a a little too demanding.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
I think there is a basic flaw in the original question. Firstly there are still only 12 notes in a major/minor scale. BIAB and RB are stuck with that when it comes to midi. (I know eastern music uses quarter tones but that really complicates things with a chord based program like BIAB)

with that in mind any midi part already in BIAB can be played on a synth patch. but then you come to the problem of sound. synths are totally flexible. for a RealTrack audio recording the synth sound may not be what i am looking for but i would be stuck with it. and who decides what sound to record in the first place?

but with midi there are numerous free synths - i have crystal which works with sforzando. but to get the sound i want i need to play with the synth settings.

a piano to a large extent is a piano - rhodes, upright, grand etc. but synth sounds are a whole new can of worms.

so what do you want the synth to play? surely there is a midi part in BIAB somewhere? but what do you want to play it on? set your own sound on the synth of your choice.

i'm sure the OP has something in his head - and it's probably achievable in BIAB but it will take a little work. but getting that sound in BIAB courtesy of PG Music - who are not mind readers - at the touch if a button without making an effort is a a little too demanding.

I actually like some traditional instruments like guitars in music. But if there are too many guitars, pianos, it will feel like oldies.
The most important thing is that many popular songs now don't really have these traditional instruments, just some nice electronic sounds.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

I probably wanted BIAB to input chords and immediately hear the style of the most popular songs right now.
If it is still guitar and piano, then there are more styles, in fact, it may be similar.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you post some example youtube videos it might help get things started.

Expert
Expert
I totally agree with Matt and get fed up with people who claim to represent everyone

We all have different mus1cal needs and BB covers a very wide range of styles and genres

The drum and bass tunes which are generally loops and electronic sounds are pretty basic or you can make them more interesting, which I have found not to be favored by the younger set

I tend to use the HYBRID feature of BB to get what is required - by replacing or muting certain instruments a whole new sound and feel evolves

Rather than trying to do cover versions, I strive to make my own arrangements and to create something to advance my skills as a musician

Brian

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
Expert
Expert

Indeed.
So far I've mostly used BiaB for accompaniment whilst practicing at home. For that I type in the chords, pick a style that suits, generate and play, warts and all.

I'm now starting to put together works that might be releaseable, but there's almost no way I would expect BiaB to produce what I want, straight out-of-the-box. Indeed, whyever would I even want that? I want something that's special to me. I have numerous VST instruments that I think BiaB doesn't (Cora, Balaphon, Djembe, et al). I may graft some of those onto MIDI tracks, some I'll play via the keyboard, I'll expect to spend quite some time adding nuance, character, expression.

I like and rather aspire to MusicStudents tagline:
"...My goal is not to create backing tracks for my music, but rather to get more of me in my music."

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Expert
Expert
"Kids these days, with their surfboards and hula-hoops"
grin;-)

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Veteran
Veteran
Watched each of them. OK, I'm officially old now.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jazzman
I totally agree with Matt and get fed up with people
who claim to represent everyone

They don’t. They claim to represent modern, inventive young people vs. nostalgic, stuck-in-the-past old folks.

It is poetically bizarre to see such a post reposted at 10 year intervals – some users replying now replied then! I wonder who will be having this discussion in 2032? Perhaps by then BIAB will have split into two different versions, “BIAB Classic” and “BIAB Modern”, as has been suggested.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/18/22 07:26 AM.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
blochead..rofl.

sbmix.
listened to those you tube vids.

how to do in realband.
1. isolate drum samples you want by going to end of
real drums in bb dir. (copy out DONT CHANGE) OR
free one shots from royalty free sites on the net OR
i have a ton of computer music mag drum/bass samples
etc and other sounds on cm mag dvd.
2. in rb arrange samples in the time line on different traks. OR you can use a sample player plug in loaded
in rb to play the samples.
3. get a number good singers in and record them over the beats/whatever samples bed you recorded.

above is a rough production outline. and depends on the song. you could also load royalty free loops and then
record the singers..then haveing finished recording the singers ....work finessing the bed traks/additions etc.

the above could be done in any daw. no biggie.
i just dont see what the big deal is.
all the tools are in bb and rb you need possibly
augmented by freely available low cost/free sample libraries. irrespective ...those you tube songs you linked to were lots of work. of that i'm sure...its the nature of doing songs.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/18/22 04:50 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Those are mostly just straight drum and bass with processed vocals.

One oddity I notice from two and from a couple you've posted in the past is the presence of that same arpegiated ping-pong synthesiser. That's at least four tracks that have that same sound.

I have to be honest, though, and say that I can only watch/listen to this stuff for a minute or two before I get bored.

I guess as I get older my patience wears thinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCIHPdx1OAs

Veteran
Veteran
I find threads like this very interesting. Things like quarter tones, drum stems sans bleeding, contemporary drum patterns, changing synth sounds during a song, etc have been available in MIDI for years.

IMHO RTs are a great tool but not necessarily the only tool you should rely on for every task. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I'm old, too ...

This to me is music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWcPBQ2qe6E

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Veteran
Veteran
I want to thank Swingbabymix for posting samples of the kind of music he or she wants to make. That's very helpful.

What's old is new again.
I heard (and see) a strong influence of the 1980s in those videos. Post-disco plus bubble gum, but very well produced. The first one had some songwriting skill. The only thing not up-to-date is the absence of abundant major seconds in the melody.

I don't think BIAB is the way I would want to try to produce songs like that even if I did find drums and bass that fit; I think loops in a DAW might be the key. But I'm too busy breaking new ground in contemporary Brazilian jazz to spend any time on this.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
No need to make a beatbox out of BIAB. There are gazillion of loop / synth things and drum machines available within samplers/ synths like Kontakt/Komplete, Halion and many others that you can use as a plugin(s) within BIAB and feed individual midi tracks or chord track directly to these to play along with your RT's Rds and Midi arrangement.

I value BIAB specifically for traditional performances / instruments... you know the ones people actually played. I would not mind couple of more Loop Sets and Modern midi styles, sure that is a good thing.

This is in line with "wishes", but the easiest way to get "modern" Midi lines would be a simple and universal style converter from great thousands of styles (free and paid) of Yamaha / Roland / Korg to BIAB. For it to be "User Friendly" it has to be integrated.

One other item that I stressed a few days ago that in my opinion should be there in the first place, is to have ability to easily audition and pick out individual MIDI stems from PG MIDI styles. Many style instrumental parts are very usable for making modern type music, but proper workflow is simply not there yet. Hopefully that will change.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

Banal, auto-tuned tripe masquerading as music.

Age comes with perspective and discernment. That's why "youth is wasted on the young." grin

Regards,

Old Bob

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
No need to make a beatbox out of BIAB.

One other item that I stressed a few days ago that in my opinion should be there in the first place, is to have ability to easily audition and pick out individual MIDI stems from PG MIDI styles. Many style instrumental parts are very usable for making modern type music, but proper workflow is simply not there yet. Hopefully that will change.

+++1

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Veteran
Veteran
We have no idea if Swingbabymix is young. And no good can come from denigrating someone’s choice in music. Describing, yes, that’s fair.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Banal, auto-tuned tripe masquerading as music.

I feel like that about it, too, but it's what sbmix wants. OK, that's fine, each to their own.

What I find rather anachronistic puzzling is that he/she/other seems to want to produce computer-generated-sounding music froma program that, on the whole, is trying to make computer-generated music sound more more like it was played by musicians.

More than that, though; the computer-generated-sounding music is mostly made with quantisation that's generally more easily done in a DAW, with loops whether found or played, with Fx and processing that a DAW is arguably better at ... reverse sounds seem very popular.

Getting a tight beat like those videos is pretty easy in BiaB, certainly with MIDI. Interesting bass should be fairly easy ditto, though slap-bass loops are probably easier. The vocals is his/her/others stated interest, so presumably recording that is fine. The challenge is getting from there to an end result.

As justanoldmuso says:
Quote:
"those you tube songs you linked to were lots of work. of that i'm sure...its the nature of doing songs."

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
We have no idea if Swingbabymix is young. And no good can come from denigrating someone’s choice in music. Describing, yes, that’s fair.

I apologize for breaching "Matt's Rules Of Etiquette", but I thought I was describing his/her/they/them's choice in music.

"Banal, auto-tuned tripe masquerading as music." grin

Expert
Expert
We have no idea if Swingbabymix is young.

He said he is 40. I guess he could be 41 now. I would consider this kind of thing way off topic but for the fact that he keeps bringing up the youth versus age thing.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/18/22 10:32 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Mark.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
BIAB's various styles are mainly displayed through guitar and piano.
In fact, the songs that many young people like in modern times have very few guitars. Most are electronic instruments instead of guitars.
BIAB developers should take note of this and react quickly.
I'm not saying it's bad right now, I just hope it's better.
What do you think?

It is great for us to have specific examples of songs. These should be added to the style wishlist area as well.

Just to point out, that you can already do a song like Shape of You (one of the examples) in Band-in-a-Box. I just found a style and did the entire song right now in less than a minute. Here's how..

1. Open StylePicker, type Shape of You in the Song Titles field and press Enter.
2. Audition the first few styles, chose "SELEKT.STY
3. Typed in the four chords into the first two bars of the song C#m F#m A B.
4. Since the song is just a 4 chord loop, you can just repeat chords (you can use hotkeys like "k" (Quick Copy). Adjusted tempo.
Done

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"Jazz music is of the devil" "Blues is of the devil" "Rock n Roll music is of the devil"...."Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news......I've got no kick against modern jazz unless they try to play it too darn fast."

There are easy things that can be done with Biab to allow current/modern music styles. To be able to change Loops at any bar, drag n drop loops from a Loop picker into the timeline of Audio Edit and fitting with the Acid info, have Midi Loops that will fit to the chord. As said before MIDISuperTracks with current instruments and beats with a Synth. You need to get a younger audience coming to Biab, maybe when the BBPlugin gets sorted out the Standalone BBPlugin would be the way so they don't do their head in trying to work out Biab.

Expert
Expert
Thanks, Mark.

No problem, I looked it up in my Wheeldex.

Anyway. I admire your patience here and I understand and respect why you might disapprove of some of what I've said. But it's hard to get things like this out of my head when I see it being repeated again and again:

Quote:
If you don’t change or keep up with the times, you can easily be eliminated. I found that many people who use BAND IN A BOX are middle-aged and elderly people. Maybe this is the positioning of BAND IN A BOX, right?

Man, that kind of thing would get your [*****] hauled into HR in any modern office.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
They seem popular as they have had a couple of views anyway
That might get PG thinking with some ideas.

Veteran
Veteran
Mark, that is trying on the patience, I concur.

Expert
Expert
... and it's far from the only one.

Of course the flavour may be due to the translation tool, though capitals are capitals.

I suspect in part that we each get tired and irritated at the other, particularly where translation issues and communication issues add to the already potentially fraught environment of text medium.

Something said innocently in one language may appear a quite different tone, or indeed even a different meaning, in another.

Veteran
Veteran
Maybe it's just me...
But I think the elephant in the room is that first PG team needs to vigorously groom software (fix/clean/consolidate/and tune workflow), then worry about hip "styles". So if styles arrive, kids would know what to do, and would not be turned off by complexity and workflow issues that require tricky workarounds. By kids I mean someone 15-25. You want to make something for kids, you have to think like a kid.

I installed Garageband for my son yesterday... He plays piano, but he never touched anything related to music making software before. He is already making some multitrack arrangements. That was yesterday evening... He is 11.

On the bright side, I think BIAB is very capable to do most of what constitutes "modern music" and can add much more to fusion that is very unique to PG music which is not found to this extent in other software, which are professional performances in bread & butter genres on real instruments.

But again, it would take a will and thought to make software appealing to those musicians who these "styles" are targeted for. Most of us accept compromises because we dived in deep and know the real value. I think it would be hard to "convince" someone with less patience unless workflow improves, menus consolidated, issues addressed.

Expert
Expert
So if styles arrive, kids would know what to do, and would not be turned off by complexity and workflow issues that require tricky workarounds. By kids I mean someone 15-25. You want to make something for kids, you have to think like a kid.

Hey, I'm way over 25 and am also turned off by complexity and workflow issues that require tricky workarounds. It's not like I learn some ghastly BIAB hack to accomplish a simple thing and think, ah, now this is the way software should be. If anything I'm less able to learn that kind of crap than I used to be.

Modernity in software is a very, very different thing from modernity in music.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/18/22 01:35 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Mark,

"Modernity in software is a very, very different thing from modernity in music."

Yes and no. Kids who are making modern music are accustomed to easy workflow within modern software they are using.

"and am also turned off by complexity and workflow issues that require tricky workarounds."

If you are still here, that means you have patience and ability to compromise smile

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott

I guess as I get older my patience wears thinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCIHPdx1OAs

I also like this kind of music scene, full of emotion.
The main reason is that the music application scenarios are different, and sometimes some simple, fast, and jumpy accompaniments are needed to highlight the vocals. I hope BIAB can come up with some simple and fast styles in addition to the band feel.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music

1. Open StylePicker, type Shape of You in the Song Titles field and press Enter.
2. Audition the first few styles, chose "SELEKT.STY
3. Typed in the four chords into the first two bars of the song C#m F#m A B.
4. Since the song is just a 4 chord loop, you can just repeat chords (you can use hotkeys like "k" (Quick Copy). Adjusted tempo.
Done

thanks.
You will find that these most popular music is not complicated. Just a great drum and bass, some electronic melody. It sounds great with the vocals.
If I choose the BIAB style, and I turn off the guitar, the piano, it doesn't give me that feeling either. Because BIAB's drums and bass don't feel that way.
BIAB's drums and bass are more of a band feel.
From a software development point of view, why not make some of the most popular content at the moment, isn't it good for sales?
This is how I currently use BIAB.
When I have an idea, I put chords in BIAB to find the feel. when i determined the chords. I will use other music software to edit and produce by myself.
If, in the middle, I need a little real instrument, I might use BIAB to generate it.

In fact, I think BIAB has a lot of styles similar to the band. If it is convenient, do you have some simple styles that are closer to modern music styles?
People who don't like it can not buy it.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Mark,

"Modernity in software is a very, very different thing from modernity in music."

Yes and no. Kids who are making modern music are accustomed to easy workflow within modern software they are using.

"and am also turned off by complexity and workflow issues that require tricky workarounds."

If you are still here, that means you have patience and ability to compromise smile

We do not analyze from age and love of music.

I'm just talking about how I feel about the production process.

For example, a drum and bass can let me sing, and let others dance along, I think it's fine. If you put 2 guitars in at the same time, the feeling changes.
Currently, BIAB's styles are basically guitars from start to finish. When I removed the guitar, BIAB's drums and bass feel, it's also the feel of the band, not the feel of modern music.

So, I just used drums and bass from other companies. When I need a guitar in a chorus position, I might use BIAB to generate a guitar section.

This will cause a problem, that is, the number of BIAB openings will continue to decrease. Because there are still many excellent guitars, pianos VST

So, I was thinking, why didn't BIAB do something about it?
In fact, it is enough to do more demos that are in line with modern music. Shouldn't be difficult, right?

All the styles of BIAB now are the feeling of the band, and I like it very much. Wouldn't it be better if you made more modern styles?

Expert
Expert
Kids who are making modern music are accustomed to easy workflow within modern software they are using.

As, I'm sure, are dental students who make sealing wax as a hobby! It has nothing to do with their taste in music!

Modernity in software is, or should be, an unqualifiedly good thing. Modern software is better because it works better.

Modernity in music, at any point in history, is just that particular phase in musical history. It's not a one-way evolutionary path of continuous improvement, it's just what was happening RIGHT THEN.

Good Lord, pity the "modern" composer of 100 years ago who was taught that serialism had rendered everything else obsolete.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/18/22 02:37 PM.
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
The music style is definitely not to put a guitar strum, put a guitar broken chord on it.
Modern music has very detailed requirements for the position and appearance of drums and bass.
Why does it make people want to move?
Why does everyone like it?
It's all there for a reason.

If anyone tells me it's me who has misunderstood BIAB software.
The BIAB software itself is just a playing software for practicing guitar, so we don't need to discuss it.
But deep down, I feel a little pity. It was as if the ball went in with a light kick, but striker BIAB didn't take that kick.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

As, I'm sure, are dental students who make sealing wax as a hobby! It has nothing to do with their taste in music!

Modernity in software is, or should be, an unqualifiedly good thing. Modern software is better because it works better.

Modernity in music, at any point in history, is just that particular phase in musical history. It's not a one-way evolutionary path of continuous improvement, it's just what was happening RIGHT THEN.

Good Lord, pity the "modern" composer of 100 years ago who was taught that serialism had rendered everything else obsolete.

I find you are very good at channeling any topic into emotions and feelings.
People try to show that they are right, which can turn the conversation into an argument. waste time.

I think there is actually a specific thing behind every topic.
Since there are specific things, they can be solved slowly.
If we can return to the question of BIAB's style, I don't think it's a bad thing for BIAB's future.

Expert
Expert
I find you are very good at channeling any topic into emotions and feelings.
People try to show that they are right, which can turn the conversation into an argument.
waste time.

Sorry you don't like it, Mr. Mix, but I was pointing out that consideration of historical attitudes regarding the value of "modernity" might be instructive. A sensitive subject, for sure, but I did try to keep my emotions under control.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Let's talk about specific things right now.

First: How many people in the world now open YouTube in the morning to find a song from 100 years ago.

Second: If you see a song from 100 years ago being played at an event, and young people dancing to the music from 100 years ago, are you happy or sad?

Third: Even if few people listen, it cannot shake the value of music 100 years ago.

We do not deny the past, but we must also pay attention to the present.
Otherwise, how can we progress.

It's a good thing to find problems, solve them, and let more people use them.

Veteran
Veteran
Mark, not very sure what you getting at.
Are you saying what I mentioned is not true?
"Kids who are making modern music are accustomed to easy workflow within modern software they are using."

Modern mainstream "popular" music heavily depends on sampled loops, synths, arpeggios and virtual drum machines with their controller counter parts.

If we are not talking about modern "popular" music, but specifically about modern music, that calls for another discussion. OP posted links for "popular" mainstream music, so forgive me if I used word "modern". No need for polemics, as I did not present my views as argument, more of an observation.

----------------
swingbabymix,

"The BIAB software itself is just a playing software for practicing guitar, so we don't need to discuss it."

Very interesting conclusion.

Veteran
Veteran

If we can return to the question of BIAB's style, I don't think it's a bad thing for BIAB's future.

Maybe Reason might be better for you, not BIAB. It's geared more toward what you seem to be looking for. I don't think BIAB will ever get to do what YOU in particular are looking for.

https://www.malavida.com/en/soft/reason/

Apparently, your FL Studio doesn't do the trick. Reason would be many steps up from FL Studio and BIAB will probably never get to a "Reason" comparable music creation software.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Sorry you don't like it, Mr. Mix, but I was pointing out that consideration of historical attitudes regarding the value of "modernity" might be instructive. A sensitive subject, for sure, but I did try to keep my emotions under control.

It's just a matter of hoping BIAB comes out with some modern STYLE.
With modern styles, the styles of the past can still be opened.
At present, I have all the styles of BIAB, and there are many favorites in it.
When I listened to almost all the styles of BIAB, I felt that I could do something.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: MikeK

Maybe Reason might be better for you, not BIAB. It's geared more toward what you seem to be looking for. I don't think BIAB will ever get to do what YOU in particular are looking for.

https://www.malavida.com/en/soft/reason/

Apparently, your FL Studio doesn't do the trick. Reason would be many steps up from FL Studio and BIAB will probably never get to a "Reason" comparable music creation software.

REASON I haven't tried it.
I'm opening FL STUDIO less frequently now, because FL STUDIO hasn't worked very hard these years, and it's inconvenient in many places, especially his PLAYLIST and recording.

I use STUDIO ONE a lot now
However, as time went on, I felt more and more that it wasn't the software that was the problem, it was my IQ. Whenever I hear good music, I dance to it first, and then when I sit in front of the computer, I realize that my IQ is not good enough. grin

Veteran
Veteran
EXPERT status is awarded, over time and amongst other things, for consistent assistance, exemplary use and regular posting. It is also awarded, quickly, for persistent posting, frequent inanities and the inability to use the manual.

Popular music is a matter of fashion then habit.
POP music is a matter of popularity on the one hand and a certain style relating to an era in history on the other.
Popular music frequently moves with technological innovation &/or heavy promotion.

BIAB midi can be used to play other samples - perceiving crippling limitations so early on in a person's experience with a musical thing suggests more about the person than the thing.

The currently over exuberant "youth" will, soon enough, be, in all likelihood, stuck in a doof doof rut built on a combination or familiarity, exposure, nostalgia and personal taste.

As Elvis Costello, (remember when he was the aggressive, hand biting leading edge of New Wave), wrote & sang:
"History repeats the old conceits
The glib replies the same defeats
Keep your finger on important issues
With crocodile tears and a pocketful of tissues
I'm just the oily slick
On the windup world of the nervous tick
In a very fashionable hovel

I hang around dying to be tortured
You'll never be alone in the bone orchard
This battle with the bottle is nothing so novel

So in this almost empty gin palace
Through a two-way looking glass
You see your Alice"

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: rayc
EXPERT status is awarded, over time and amongst other things, for consistent assistance, exemplary use and regular posting. It is also awarded, quickly, for persistent posting, frequent inanities and the inability to use the manual.

POP music is a matter of popularity on the one hand and a certain style relating to an era in history on the other.
Popular music frequently moves with technological innovation &/or heavy promotion.

BIAB midi can be used to play other samples - perceiving crippling limitations so early on in a person's experience with a musical thing suggests more about the person than the thing.

The currently over exuberant "youth" will, soon enough, be, in all likelihood, stuck in a doof doof rut built on a combination or familiarity, exposure, nostalgia and personal taste.

As Elvis Costello, (remember when he was the aggressive, hand biting leading edge of New Wave), wrote & sang:
I'm just the oily slick

You see your Alice"

Maybe it's not that complicated, it's just a matter of song style.

These are two old songs that I like both.
But I will feel that this song will be modern and my favorite song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

It's good too, but I feel a little old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc

Because I don't understand the lyrics at all, I'm just speaking from the feel.
I prefer Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive grin

Veteran
Veteran

REASON I haven't tried it.

Here is something I did in Reason long time ago. And I mean LONG time ago!

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=781104

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=887010

Last edited by MikeK; 01/18/22 03:51 PM.

Cheers,
Mike

Expert
Expert

Let's talk about specific things right now.

First: How many people in the world now open YouTube in the morning to find a song from 100 years ago.

Second: If you see a song from 100 years ago being played at an event, and young people dancing to the music from 100 years ago, are you happy or sad?

Third: Even if few people listen, it cannot shake the value of music 100 years ago.

We do not deny the past, but we must also pay attention to the present.
Otherwise, how can we progress.

It's a good thing to find problems, solve them, and let more people use them.

Did you notice the word "serialism"? Do you know what it refers to? Do you understand why I might mention serialism in connection with idea of progress in music?

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/18/22 04:38 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Can we have old and new ??

BB22-HangOn.mp4

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Did you notice the word "serialism"? Do you know what it refers to? Do you understand why I might mention serialism in connection with idea of progress in music?

I think the purpose of communication is to solve problems.
The purpose of communication is to make things better.

The purpose of communication is not to express emotions.
The purpose of communication is not to pick words.
It's really not possible, please don't reply to the messages I post in the future.
Because you always take the problem emotionally.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Can we have old and new ??

BB22-HangOn.mp4

nice!

This song is still not the same as the ones I posted.
Also, this song has no guitar. If I use EZKEY, it can also be done very quickly.

It's not actually a new song or an old song.
This song is old, but I feel modern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y

Last edited by swingbabymix; 01/18/22 05:25 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, pipeline what is wrong with you? Can't you just make next MJ multi million dollar hit?
We are waiting! smile

P.S. pipeline fun presentation.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Yes, pipeline what is wrong with you? Can't you just make next MJ multi million dollar hit?
We are waiting! smile

P.S. pipeline fun presentation.

Generally speaking, the simple structure of the music feels modern.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

I don't feel the humor in this kind of text exchange. But I have a vague sense that you are very good at sarcasm and ridicule. As long as it makes you smile, I think that's a good thing. Being happy is important.

However, for the future development of BIAB, I don't think it makes sense.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Artist Performance Set 11-12 - Songs with Vocals volume 1-2

These are good for practicing mixing different BB Styles/tracks/drums/loops.

Veteran
Veteran
SBM
"I don't feel the humor in this kind of text exchange."
It was supposed to be a joke, sorry if you think otherwise. As you said, "Being happy is important." I wish same to you. No worries, I will refrain from replying to posts that you start. Take care.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Artist Performance Set 11-12 - Songs with Vocals volume 1-2

These are good for practicing mixing different BB Styles/tracks/drums/loops.

Pipeline:
I like you in this forum. You can answer questions carefully every time, and the answers are so accurate.
I have these styles.
Artist Performance Set 11 - Songs with Vocals volume 1
Artist Performance Set 12 - Songs with Vocals volume 2
However, these song demos are all online listening, so I open very slowly.
Often can't hear the DEMO
I asked before, why do you want to listen to DEMO online.
I am very slow to open the PGMUSIC website and the PGMUSIC forum here.
I don't know if there is a way to turn DEMO into local playback

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
SBM
It was supposed to be a joke, sorry if you think otherwise. As you said, "Being happy is important." I wish same to you. No worries, I will refrain from replying to posts that you start. Take care.

My purpose is clear. Just wish to see more modern styles from BIAB. It doesn't need to be complicated, it's simple. More suitable for modern rap and dance music. This is what I want to express.

This Michael Jackson song is old, but it fits with modern songs, so I like it too. Even if an ordinary person did this rhythm, I would love it. All I care about is the style of the song.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
SBM

I think there is a loss in translation and SBM has had many attacks since his first post.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
"Kids these days, with their surfboards and hula-hoops"
and blue pills, and mole hills, and rabbit holes... and stealthy trolls.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

P
Veteran
Veteran
P

In the Style Picker there should be a filter to show them.
It should play demo in Style Picker _SPIT_IT.m4a = _SPIT_IT.STY

Lonely Once Again (_east+.m4a style for a modern sound)
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_EAST+.m4a

Troubles Galore (country honky tonk)
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_COLDRO.m4a

Lonely Once Again (“unplugged” version, same vocals, just change of style in BiaB )
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_TWIRLS.m4a

He’s Hangin on
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_ALT_POP.m4a

It Was You
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_BARGPOP.m4a

Can't Get Hold Of You (Blues)
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_BBBLUES.m4a

La La La (Music). (Funk)
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_BISTER.m4a

The School Gymnasium (female vocals, country swing)
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_CTRYSWS.m4a

Good Love Is Hard To Find (reggae)
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_JAMMING.m4a

And more...
Hang On
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_SPIT_IT.m4a

Girl Next Door
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_JEANS.m4a

Save a Thought for Me (Sailin' On)
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_FAMILY.m4a

Emmaline
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_GOLDRSH.m4a

Una Vez Mas
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_GRANDE.m4a

Leave Me Low
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_LETHAL.m4a

Believe
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_ASTOUND.m4a

P
Veteran
Veteran
P

It's not actually a new song or an old song.
This song is old, but I feel modern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y

Love Billie Jean, yes old but modern.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Love Billie Jean, yes old but modern.

I have to find some way that works for me.
Step 1: Use BIAB to try different chords to inspire me to sing.
Step 2: Use NEXUS and AVENGER to make music more modern.
If I want to do it all in BIAB, at least not for now.

Veteran
Veteran

I'm just the oily slick

You see your Alice"

Maybe it's not that complicated, it's just a matter of song style.

These are two old songs that I like both.
But I will feel that this song will be modern and my favorite song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

It's good too, but I feel a little old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc

Because I don't understand the lyrics at all, I'm just speaking from the feel.
I prefer Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive grin

a) Touche'
b) old proverb...if you put the right bait on the hook and cast the line into a populated water course, the fish will come.

Last edited by rayc; 01/18/22 08:38 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Expert
Expert
old proverb... if you put the right bait on the hook and cast the line into a populated water course, the fish will come.

This is funny... I popped that into Google to see if it could identify the proverb you're talking about, and Google replied

Quote:
Did you mean: if you put the right bait on the hook and cast the line into a polluted water course, the fish will come?

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/19/22 07:55 AM.
Expert
Expert

Actually I do that quite often, though I'll likely look for much more recent versions of it, if only because the recording quality is better.

Neither this song nor this version is to my taste, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5JvkID7EtI

It was written in 1926.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

It was written in 1926.

The song is funny and reminds me of a Chaplin movie.

Expert
Expert

I have the demo songs here:
/bb/Songs and Lessons/Artist Performance Sets/

Edit: Please note that the .MGU files are also there, so you can load these and reinterpret them. I'm not off-hand sure of the copyright rules for them.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 01/19/22 12:58 AM.

Expert
Expert

It was written in 1926.

The song is funny and reminds me of a Chaplin movie.

It also isn't really a good demonstration of what was in my mind, but it did show well an interpretation almost century apart from the original.

In fairness music from 100 years ago doesn't really adapt well (IMHO). Music from the 1930s onwards does better, but much of it is too subtle to adapt well the computer-generated style. Personally I'm more into Jazz, African, Latin, Cuban, Rock, Soul, Funk, than to the computer-timed music. I've always liked my music much "looser" and to evolve and vary within itself. Modern music seems to try to do that, but very often it does it only by changing the sound pallet. To me it seems very shallow and I get bored all too easily. Obviously others will feel differently about it.

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

It also isn't really a good demonstration of what was in my mind, but it did show well an interpretation almost century apart from the original.

In fairness music from 100 years ago doesn't really adapt well (IMHO). Music from the 1930s onwards does better, but much of it is too subtle to adapt well the computer-generated style. Personally I'm more into Jazz, African, Latin, Cuban, Rock, Soul, Funk, than to the computer-timed music. I've always liked my music much "looser" and to evolve and vary within itself. Modern music seems to try to do that, but very often it does it only by changing the sound pallet. To me it seems very shallow and I get bored all too easily. Obviously others will feel differently about it.

Maybe it's because I don't understand the lyrics. I generally like to listen to foreign dance music. As long as the music has a strong drum that makes people want to dance. I will like it. I can interact with this kind of music. I've known since the '90s that people around me like dance music. This has continued to this day.

If possible, I hope that in the days to come, BIAB can do more dance music styles. I will definitely buy it the first time.

At present, I can only use refx NEXUS and VPS AVENGER to make dance music, and let BIAB be the support.

Veteran
Veteran
[

It's just a matter of hoping BIAB comes out with some modern STYLE.
With modern styles, the styles of the past can still be opened.
At present, I have all the styles of BIAB, and there are many favorites in it.
When I listened to almost all the styles of BIAB, I felt that I could do something.

Between all of the "discussions" going on in this thread this is the most important message and I totally agree with it.

Post on the wishlist what styles along with samples one would like, then hope it happens.

On a side note there are some styles I really like, some are OK, and some that I may never use but I do not advocate "don't make any more styles like these". I want BiaB to have styles from all genres of music, old and new. YMMV

C
Expert
Expert
C
Maybe it's just me...
But I think the elephant in the room is that first PG team needs to vigorously groom software (fix/clean/consolidate/and tune workflow), then worry about hip "styles". So if styles arrive, kids would know what to do, and would not be turned off by complexity and workflow issues that require tricky workarounds.

200% agreed.

On the other hand, while I don't have absolutely nothing against more modern or electronic music and styles, I LOVE the fact that BIAB main focus has always been jazz and other traditional "human" styles. This is, IMO, what makes BIAB such an unique and special product in a market flooded with programs, plugins and libraries designed mainly for electronic music.

I PERSONALLY like BIAB this way.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Between all of the "discussions" going on in this thread this is the most important message and I totally agree with it.

Post on the wishlist what styles along with samples one would like, then hope it happens.

On a side note there are some styles I really like, some are OK, and some that I may never use but I do not advocate "don't make any more styles like these". I want BiaB to have styles from all genres of music, old and new. YMMV

Something just happened tonight.
I used some 150BPM to 180BPM UJAM drums
I also adjusted the song tempo to 150BPM in STUDIO ONE
Then the BIAB I used was adjusted to 75BPM
Then I entered four chords and generated some 75BPM WAV
I put these 75BPM BASS, PIANO, GUITAR into the 150BPM song
The whole music is very modern.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
0120.mp3 (675 KB, 15 downloads)

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, you achieved a modern feel. Just what you have been looking to obtain. Great.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran

Something just happened tonight.
I used some 150BPM to 180BPM UJAM drums
I also adjusted the song tempo to 150BPM in STUDIO ONE
Then the BIAB I used was adjusted to 75BPM
Then I entered four chords and generated some 75BPM WAV
I put these 75BPM BASS, PIANO, GUITAR into the 150BPM song
The whole music is very modern.

Very interesting and very good. IMHO to achieve a real modern sound take out the piano and replace it with a synth; there are a lot of free good sounding synths available. Of course I'm talking MIDI. Slightly modifying that piano MIDI track and using a modern sounding synth would do wonders to this piece IMHO.

Veteran
Veteran
Trap beats have been beaten to death...it's the 2020's version of the "Hooked On..." drum machine.

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran

I'm an huge fan of Arnie...I get a big kick from clowns n moons. I was 1st introduced to him/them in 76...love at 1st needle drop.

Last edited by rayc; 01/19/22 02:58 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Expert
Expert

I'm an huge fan of Arnie...I get a big kick from clowns n moons. I was 1st introduced to him/them in 76...love at 1st needle drop.

As a youth I borrowed scratchy Arnie records from the New York Public Library, mostly to annoy my mother. I like his Sprechstimme.

Anyhoon, I had this bit of biofeedback ready, just in case anyone asked, paraphrased from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Arnold Schoenberg regarded his invention of twelve-tone music (AKA serialism) as the equivalent in music of Albert Einstein's discoveries in physics. He announced it during a walk with a friend, when he said, "I have made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years".

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Very interesting and very good. IMHO to achieve a real modern sound take out the piano and replace it with a synth; there are a lot of free good sounding synths available. Of course I'm talking MIDI. Slightly modifying that piano MIDI track and using a modern sounding synth would do wonders to this piece IMHO.

okay, thank you. I will try instead.
I noticed that UJAM has USYNTH coming soon in 2022.

However, there is a problem now that I have turned the total output volume into red in order to make the drum sound stand out, haha

Veteran
Veteran

As a youth I borrowed scratchy Arnie records from the New York Public Library, mostly to annoy my mother. I like his Sprechstimme.

Anyhoon, I had this bit of biofeedback ready, just in case anyone asked, paraphrased from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Arnold Schoenberg regarded his invention of twelve-tone music (AKA serialism) as the equivalent in music of Albert Einstein's discoveries in physics. He announced it during a walk with a friend, when he said, "I have made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years".

Arnie's Third Reich built on tone poems n more. Dolfie would have put him in the Salon d' Refuse for lack of Aryan Aires but they could both dream of dominance.
AS was a dick but he did cool things in trad as well as the avant-garde.

Cheers
rayc
Expert
Expert
Arnie's Third Reich built on tone poems n more. Dolfie would have put him in the Salon d' Refuse for lack of Aryan Aires but they could both dream of dominance. AS was a dick but he did cool things in trad as well as the avant-garde.

OK, now I am seriously inspired. The "Hundred Year Reich" is collapsing as we speak, leaving a musical void for postmodernists like myself (thanks again, Janne!) to fill. I have to find an Arnie piece I can render postmodernistically with modern synths combined with classic guitar RealTracks, the latter being essential for both postmodernity and User Showcase eligibility. Resolved!

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/20/22 01:41 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Arnie's Third Reich built on tone poems n more. Dolfie would have put him in the Salon d' Refuse for lack of Aryan Aires but they could both dream of dominance. AS was a dick but he did cool things in trad as well as the avant-garde.

OK, now I am seriously inspired. The "Hundred Year Reich" is collapsing as we speak, leaving a musical void for postmodernists like myself (thanks again, Janne!) to fill. I have to find an Arnie piece I can render postmodernistically with modern synths combined with classic guitar RealTracks, the latter being essential for both postmodernity and User Showcase eligibility. Resolved!

Don't forget to use a Reich(s)tag in Soundcloud.
Eva as Columbine, Hermann as The dandy and Josef as the bad, sad clown.

Cheers
rayc
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,636
Posts735,303
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181