Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Recent discussion of the "James Bond" chord EmMaj9 has me wondering how to handle it as a RealTrack guitar chord.

The only way at present to indicate this chord to BIAB is by calling it EmMaj7/F#, which hits the right pitch classes but puts what should be the high note in the bass (assuming it works, which it might not, but let's assume it does.)

So I had a thought.

Duplicate the guitar part an octave higher, and let that blend with the original. Same chords, same RealTrack. The octava performance will theoretically have slash notes that fill in the missing 9th in the lower part.

This may or may not work as desired, but my question is, can I do that?

Please note, I don't want an audio transposition, or an exact note-for-note transposition. I'm looking for what you would get by telling the guitarist "play an octave higher, or do the best you can, using whatever higher-position fingerings you would use to try to do that."

Veteran
Veteran
I’m not at a computer but try Preferences, Channels, +1 in the Guitar column for Octave. This works for MIDI; not sure about RealTracks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
If the track is RealTRack then you probably will get artifacts that will make the track sound weird. Generally audio doesn't like to be moved by an octave.

If it is MIDI just go to the piano roll view and add the notes you want in the order you want.

If you have a polyphonic version of Melodyne then you can use it to and the notes you want in the order you want them. If you move an audio note only a step or two you generally don't get the artifacts. Note that this can take a bit of time as you must do this for every chord you want to change.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I’m not at a computer but try Preferences, Channels, +1 in the Guitar column for Octave. This works for MIDI; not sure about RealTracks.

Thanks, Matt. That setting is somewhere else on a Mac, but I did find it under Options / MIDI Settings, and it does indeed work for MIDI. But isn't that a global setting? I would need to do this on a per track basis to get my octava. Also, won't that just bump every note up an octave, as opposed to revoicing the guitar chords?

By the way... it is SO WEIRD going into these settings and seeing "piano", "guitar", etc. as hardcoded labels for specific tracks. I know the historical reason, but still.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
If the track is RealTRack then you probably will get artifacts that will make the track sound weird. Generally audio doesn't like to be moved by an octave.

Thanks, Mario, but audio editing is what I'm not looking to do. I want the chords revoiced as they would be for a guitarist playing down HERE as opposed to playing up HERE on the neck.

I guess another way to put this is, can I specify a real instrument's register to be used in constructing a RealTrack*? I don't want a funny-sounding little mini-guitar, I want a funny-sounding normal guitar played up near the sound hole.

====

* "RealTrack" as a term is annoyingly ambiguous. It can mean either the read-only things you install with BIAB, or it can mean the tracks you construct out of these.

Veteran
Veteran
If it is MIDI use the event editor to change the notes to whatever you want.
Just don't regenerate it again or you'll be starting over.

As Mario mentioned piano roll view is probably your easiest route
There you can drag things around and add/delete.
I really don't think moving the voicing an octave would help, BiaB might just take that as meaning your synth is an octave lower than normal and generate the same stuff just an octave up.

Last edited by rharv; 01/18/22 12:11 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
OK, check this out (15 seconds) –

https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/junkola-render

Two guitars using the same RealTrack.

Progression: Em – Em6 – Em7 – Em6 ... Em

Freeze Guitar #1, replace final chord with B Major, regenerate for Guitar #2.

E minor + B Major = James Bond, and it sounds pretty good!

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/18/22 01:15 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

Mark in addition to calling the last chord a poly chord here are a few names of that last chord:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
chord.jpg (57.8 KB, 100 downloads)

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
OP Offline
Expert

Mark in addition to calling the last chord a poly chord here are a few names of that last chord:

F#13sus(b9)/E... you gotta love it. I guess every chord can be interpreted multiple ways; a C Major could be G(sus4)6 and a whole lotta other things if you allow for missing notes.

Anyway, this is a happy situation, where the unplayable chord breaks down perfectly into two triads, and in this particular happy situation I think the double-RealTrack thing works pretty neatly.

Does anyone actually do this to render polychords in BIAB? That would be SO cool.

Veteran
Veteran
F#13sus(b9)/E... you gotta love it. I guess every chord can be interpreted multiple ways; a C Major could be G(sus4)6 and a whole lotta other things if you allow for missing notes.

I got a chuckle with this one. As a guitarist I can only play 3-4 notes of many mostly jazz chords. When I jam with JonD, a keyboardist, we have to compromise on exactly what chord I am playing as my idea of the chord is usually different from his as he can play up to 10 notes.

Anyway, this is a happy situation, where the unplayable chord breaks down perfectly into two triads, and in this particular happy situation I think the double-RealTrack thing works pretty neatly.

Does anyone actually do this to render polychords in BIAB? That would be SO cool.

I haven't but it is something worth trying. Freezing a track would be your friend here.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
> Does anyone actually do this to render polychords in BIAB? That would be SO cool.

I haven't but it is something worth trying. Freezing a track would be your friend here.

I tried last night and it didn’t sound very good, but I was just using a random polychordal composition for which there was a MIDI online (and there aren’t many.) I will keep looking. If you know of anything, please, I am wide open to suggestions!

Veteran
Veteran
> Does anyone actually do this to render polychords in BIAB? That would be SO cool.

I tried last night and it didn’t sound very good, but I was just using a random polychordal composition for which there was a MIDI online (and there aren’t many.) I will keep looking. If you know of anything, please, I am wide open to suggestions!

I haven't worked with polychords but if I get a chance later today I will try. I do know that you need to get chords that compliment each other, much like your Em and B major. Otherwise all you will get is a cluster and many times a bad sounding cluster!

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I haven't worked with polychords but if I get a chance later today I will try. I do know that you need to get chords that compliment each other, much like your Em and B major. Otherwise all you will get is a cluster and many times a bad sounding cluster!

Indeed. Another thing I tried to get my originally sought octava was using a guitar for the low chord and a ukulele for the high chord. Kinda works.

Veteran
Veteran

I don't know what that last held chord was...aside from what you said you did, but to my ear, there's some wonky stuff in there that isn't copacetic.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I don't know what that last held chord was...aside from what you said you did, but to my ear, there's some wonky stuff in there that isn't copacetic.

Well, a minor-Major-9th is a pretty wonky chord to start. But here I imagine there's more than one minor 2nd, which make it even more dissonant. I like it, myself, but I get that this might not be what the composer was going for, so I can't just say, well, it's supposed to sound that way.

Possible remedies:

1) Use a ukulele for the second track and hope that avoids those clashes.

2) Can SpectraLayers pluck out individual notes and discard them? Like, edit out a D# that's clashing with an E? If not SpectraLayers, can something else do this? Hard to imagine being able to pluck a single note out of a recording of two guitars in a graphic editor, though.

3) I'm also thinking TrackSpacer can help, if it's as intelligent as it claims to be, and this would be way cool (and I just bought it yesterday.) Set a very narrow frequency band to include just a problem pair like that D#/E and sidechain the nice notes onto the naughty notes to force their naughty frequencies to be selectively ducked.

The last one sounds so cool I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for the feedback!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,337
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182