Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I want a video that shows me how to ....
B
B
This is just the kind of thing that I have been looking for. I was able to wallow through in the beginning and find enough info to create a basic song but it really lacked dynamics and I couldn't find much on that concept. I watched a couple of intro videos from PGM and then the videos on the new features for 2022 and I had a pretty good grasp of all that but I was having trouble making that next step. This video covers some of the exact things I needed to do and opened doors for figuring out even more! Would be better if it had narration but I still appreciate normal folks stepping up to do this sort of work.

It's a shame that we have to depend on users and the community for these kind of training materials. I'm a pretty savvy software user, I've been doing QA/Support/Dev work for the last 20 years so I can navigate most anything I need to but this beast can be overwhelming. Just the sheer number of options could bring the faint of heart to their knees...not to mention the technical aspects as well as music fundamentals and theory. I could see this being a hurdle that many users can't overcome on their own. Even I thought about quitting...

Now, I'm sure the manual probably covers the items in this video and more but when you just pick up the software it's like drinking from a fire hose and you really don't have context for a lot of the features because you've never tried to use them. Plus the manual is about as dry as burnt toast - an excellent reference but terrible teacher. There are some parts of it you could skip right over but how far and are you missing any tidbits in doing so? Yeah it's not an ideal training strategy for something as complex as this can be. A fully comprehensive, soup-to-nuts video would have been helpful. Hopefully future users get one.

P.S. I also think BIAB is a pretty amazing piece of software especially for the price.
P.S.S This is the video I refer to. Forgot to quote the post I replied to...newbie wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=GMCotP3GxSs&feature=emb_logo

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I'm glad the tutorial video helped you. It's been almost a year since this topic was active and there's really been nothing to share about anyone doing a tutorial project like discussed here. However, the new demos included with the latest release of BIAB for Windows are great study guides. I've studied PG Music Demos and also the special package releases and most of my knowledge of BIAB evolved from those.

Another topic included with this year's release is Dr. Gannon, the founder and owner of PG Music shared the theme the company has adopted for this year's release and it's to allow users to arrange and complete songs solely within BIAB and not have to depend on external software DAW programs and many of the new features are upgrades, improvements and re-tooled features that have been included in the program for years.

Here's his quote:

Peter Gannon:
"IF there's a theme to 2022 features, it is opportunities for arranging and customizing the songs within BIAB, while maintaining the tiny file size and fast generation of songs."

Hopefully as the year progresses and users learn to use these new features and share their knowledge here on the forum, it will improve your experience with the program.

Just jump in and do what you can and don't hesitate to bring specific bumps and roadblocks you encounter here to the forum so forum members and PG staff can help you through them.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi all. I have a full YouTube Channel with tutorials on producing using Band in a Box for quite a few months now. They span the range from beginnner to things like Audio Chord Wizard, Utility Tracks, Automation, Chops, rests, etc... I have a lot of positive feedback from various users. Here's the link to one of my Tutorial Playlist for beginners. In my tutorials I have video and I also explain exactly what I'm doing where viewers can see each menu and mouse click. I also focus on more styles of music than Country (which is why started making them in the first place). https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNGYsTA3YLQQQ8kPpy-xXYcZvAcVEeRmn

Journeyman
Journeyman
I've been watching your videos, Henry. They are great!

...Deb

Last edited by DebMurphy; 02/08/22 01:20 AM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
While I applaud all participants and interesting discussion in this thread, I feel that initial request was somewhat diluted. Since I am original poster, I will rephrase and add a couple of thoughts on this as I have been weighting on some ideas / proposals from the time this was asked for. This was not a request for fragmented sections or videos on particular feature(s) or intro video.... Or something that was done many years ago.

I wanted a single video that shows a complete workflow for making original tune, utilizing "some" inspirational ideas from pre-made items, exploring main power tools, lightly touching on deeper features. With a form of a song you would normally expect from Pop / Rock (~ their closest sub genres). If there is an incentive to produce such video I will gladly share a list of items that I feel need to be included.
I thought about how structure of the video might work to accommodate future features. The best that I could come up with is this: With each new release, the last 25% or so of the tutorial composition would be "sacrificed" and forked to include alternative, ~25% utilizing newly added tools. But working with the same initial SGU. Video should be broken up to chapters and each chapter should include a saved SGU progress file.
(Like alternative ending to a movie smile )

Benefit of the forked approach is that:
#1 Only a part of video would be recorded to showcase new tools.
#2 The most important thing... People who watched it earlier will not have to re-watch parts they are familiar and a reverse of that... People who want to backtrack progress could jump in at any position to refresh the memory / see how the file was constructed. If a video has, lets say 7 chapters, 7 SGU files should be included.

Probably too ambitious.. I know. However, take a look again at the same video link I initially posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9sben5x1M
61,000+ views, 400+ people liked it. It is a good video, but only a smaller / rough sketch for what I am requesting here.

P.S. Something to consider. This is a request for workflow video, not introductory one. It should be aimed at intermediate level user. Or at least someone who had spent some time with BIAB and has some idea of what BIAB is. Also, it should be done in minimalistic GUI. It is solely my belief that Peter and team left and maintains the big button interface out of respect to loyal followers. Which is a very nice gesture, but I am certain new users would prefer a more modern and spacious minimalistic view.

Last edited by Rustyspoon#; 02/08/22 06:37 PM.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
< "I wanted a single video that shows a complete workflow for making original tune, utilizing "some" inspirational ideas from pre-made items, exploring main power tools, lightly touching on deeper features. With a form of a song you would normally expect from Pop / Rock (~ their closest sub genres)." >

Announcing The Birth of a Song - Extended Version! (With Floyd Jane)

The above collaboration tutorial by forum member Floyd Jane and PG Staff checks all the boxes of Misha's original request for a workflow video rather than an introductory video and may have been overlooked by many since it's tucked away in the User Showcase rather than in this forum thread.

It demonstrates Floyd's method and tools complete from his initial original song idea to the final music video. It's nicely crafted and edited and well worth the time to view and study it.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Charlie,
don't flirt with my request. I know exactly what I want smile Floyds video is great, but it is another game. It does show a workflow... of the artist making his song. A personal journey. It gives a general sense of song making using BIAB, but it is far from a tutorial form. As alternative, yes it works, but only as alternative.

Having said that, I know how to do most of the things that I am requesting. It is not so much about me, but to have a structured tutorial that anyone can use as a guide, that could have chapters and forked / branched continuation as software develops or new videos are requested. Almost like quick audio & visual manual.

Give a thought of what I am proposing with branching approach. With this, almost any (newer and older) feature can be shown by forking original project.

P.S. FJ's video was actually one of the first ones I've seen when I joined the forum.

Veteran
Veteran
The SGU file idea is a great one.
I couldn't get my brain around holds etc until I had a SGU from someone who had used most of that stuff...I was able to reverse engineer the things I needed at that stage from the SGU. It also allowed me the time and space to work on those things as I was able.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Expert
Expert
"Having said that, I know how to do most of the things that I am requesting."

Then why don't you make the video? As people watch it they would more than likely participate to make it more complete, and since they have an "outline" to follow Ideas would start to flow.......

Just an idea....sometimes we ALL need a little kick in the rear to get going...... smile cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,325
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181