Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#706554 02/26/22 09:50 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
My first attempt at posting anything to the forum. Hope it works. Thanks to Floyd Jane and PGMusic for the "Birth of a song" post. I've been trying to follow it step by step to post this.
His Name Is Jesus

A woman walking down the path with tears in her eyes,
‘cause she dearly loved that man, it’d been three days since he died.
Oh she saw him bleed, she saw the deadly wounds.
So it was so hard so believe when she saw an empty tomb.

Woman, why do you cry? Now’s not the time to grieve.
Don’t you know this was prophesied, and he’s fulfilled the prophecy?
Gods’ perfect lamb, he was sacrificed. Upon a cross, he gave his life.
And although dead and in the grave, he rose again, now the stone has been rolled away.

Now there’s a woman down the road, lost and all alone.
And not two thousand years ago, she’s right here now at home.
Will you go and talk to her, make known the Lord’s own words?
Will you share your faith? Will you find the strength to say …

Woman why do you cry? Now’s not the time to grieve.
Don’t you know that Jesus Christ did for you what he did for me?
You’re feeling all alone. Lost inside your pain. As if you’re chained to a stone,
but he can roll the stone away.

His name is Jesus. His name is Jesus. He came and freed us from our sins.
His name is Jesus and he’s redeemed us
with those thorns made into a crown and his blood that spilled upon the ground
‘cause through his blood and his pain, oh, we are saved. Just call upon his name. His name is Jesus.

There’s lost people everywhere. The world’s in such a mess.
With no answers anywhere, they’re just giving up I guess.
But we know someone that they don’t.
We know the Lord, so we know what the answer is …
It’s Jesus. His name is Jesus. His name is Jesus.

THE BAND:

I had most of this recorded before I got my BIAB as a gift from my wife. I was able to use BIAB to add

Pedal Steel Guitar ... Steve Hinson
Mandolin ... Andy Leftwich

Let me know what y'all think. I'm open to your thoughts, good and bad.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brad,

Seems like you got the whole posting thing figured out.

Nice song.
Very pleasant vocals and harmonies.
Backing tracks sound good. Nice job of getting the mandolin and steel in there after the fact.
Mix sounds good. Balanced.

Welcome to the world of Band-In-A-Box. A good start...just wait...You're gonna have a blast.
And...welcome to the Showcase.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome aboard!

Good song. Nice balance in the mix. Vocal is strong.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
welcome Brad... This as an excellent heartfelt song, and a very good arrangement. Well done sir.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A nice melody, a nice chord progression.
You've a pleasant voice.
There's some sibilant treatment needed and the stereo image needs some work as everything seems to be up the middle: the mandolin steps on the steel which gets caught in the voice.
Lyrically I understand you're following the scriptures & teaching but it'd be really insensitive to ask those questions & make those suggestions to anyone grieving any loss.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song, Brad. Welcome to the forum, and you started at the best spot with "Birth of a song." I like how you added the pedal and mandolin. They are properly placed behind the vocals, and those vocals sound perfect. Nice harmony. Good write with excellent lyrics.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum. Probably one of the friendliest places on the net. And a bunch of knowledgeable and highly talented writers and musicians. Check out the other sub forums and ask questions or jump into the conversations.

Nicely done especially since you added the BB parts after the fact.

I like the song. Well done on the recording and singing.

Tell us a little bit about your setup. What are you using for a DAW, and some of the main gear and guitars you use.

Again welcome.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/27/22 04:27 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Uh, well the truth is I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff. I'm what you'd call a techno-moron. Thanks to all for the comments though. This is my starting point. Recently God pulled me through a tough time with lymphoma (cancer). Almost died several times over the last couple of years. I wanted to write some Christian songs in recognition of all God had done for me in life, but didn't know if I'd get the chance, so I started while going through the treatments. I can't really play live anymore. I lost most of one of my lungs and have some other long lasting difficulties that would make it difficult, so I started some recording. I recorded several songs, but they had a lot of holes in them musically. Then my wife bought me BIAB and I had a lot of new instruments at my disposal.

I'm using Protools and playing through an 11 rack DAW. I used a rather cheap CASIO keyboard and a couple fingers at a time to lay the drum tracks, and I used an Ibanez Bass guitar. I have a couple of acoustic guitars, a Takamine and a Breedlove, but I don't remember which one I used for this song. I have a Gretch G5120 hollow body and a Spirit prototype solid body (tele. style) for my electric guitars. I used an MXL-V250 microphone, and that's about it. I'm afraid the first several songs that I'm able to post will have been recorded in the same manner.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Uh, well the truth is I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff. I'm what you'd call a techno-moron. Thanks to all for the comments though. This is my starting point. Recently God pulled me through a tough time with lymphoma (cancer). Almost died several times over the last couple of years. I wanted to write some Christian songs in recognition of all God had done for me in life, but didn't know if I'd get the chance, so I started while going through the treatments. I can't really play live anymore. I lost most of one of my lungs and have some other long lasting difficulties that would make it difficult, so I started some recording. I recorded several songs, but they had a lot of holes in them musically. Then my wife bought me BIAB and I had a lot of new instruments at my disposal.

I'm using Protools and playing through an 11 rack DAW. I used a rather cheap CASIO keyboard and a couple fingers at a time to lay the drum tracks, and I used an Ibanez Bass guitar. I have a couple of acoustic guitars, a Takamine and a Breedlove, but I don't remember which one I used for this song. I have a Gretch G5120 hollow body and a Spirit prototype solid body (tele. style) for my electric guitars. I used an MXL-V250 microphone, and that's about it. I'm afraid the first several songs that I'm able to post will have been recorded in the same manner.

Wow, it sounds like you've had a tough battle. Glad to hear that you've made it this far. With God, everything is possible.

Again Welcome....

One of the main reasons I bought BB so many years ago was I got tired of trying to make realistic sounding drum tracks using midi and mousing in the notes or trying to play them as you said you do on the keyboard. Also, I wanted a realistic sounding steel guitar that didn't require me to have to learn how to play a real one or work on using a keyboard with the learning curve that would entail.

You're gonna really love this program from this point on. It will likely become your main way to make music. I know it has become that for me.

It doesn't matter if it's a cheap casio or a high end keyboard workstation, midi is midi.

sorry to hear about that whole pro-tools thing..... just kidding.... a DAW is a DAW. All that matters is that it does what you need it to do.

Post the stuff you have and start working on new stuff.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum Brad. Excellent tune. Very cool vocal and lyric. Cool backtrack. Well done.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Again welcome to the forum Brad...you will love it here! You'll get great comments and critiques...just learn from them and the music you will begin to produce with astonish you...the writers, singers, musicians and artists here are top-notch and run the gambit from rock to country to jazz from honkey-tonk to gospel and back again.

I write primarily faith-based music and have found the forum warm and welcoming...speaking of which...I love this song thematically (Praise the Lord!) structurally and a great delivery...if this is your first time out of the barn you're on the right path...I will pray for you as you journey through the physical challenges that the cancer has brought into your life.

Post your songs for us to hear and be sure and leave comments on other folk's songs as well...you'll make some great friends here that share one of the passions that you have in your life...and that is to produce great music and have your voice and message heard.

Best regards...Dan

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
R
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
R
From one Christian songwriter to another, Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I like this song, and anyone who uses "Steel Guitar" in their songs, is already a winner in my book. Great song.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brad,

this is the first time I've seen one of your posts. Excellent work on your first one! It's a great song with a great message! I like the fact that you have the vocals above the backtrack with clearly distinguishable lyrics...very nice vocals and bg vocals btw! You can't go wrong following Floyds advise on anything musically related! I'll be watching for more!

Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome aboard! Nice work adding the RT's to your song.
Often that's not easy to do.

Nice production all the way around and glad to hear you are doing better!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good stuff - glad to have you here.

It's a very good mix - very natural. It's possible to get a more "contemporary" sound by processing the vocals a bit harder (and the master track a bit more), but I don't think that's what you're aiming for here.

Nice job!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well-written song. Well sung and well produced - your voice sits wonderfully in the mix, the mandolin is the perfect touch. Bravo.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,770
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191