Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#707021 03/01/22 03:26 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
This is a somewhat autobiographical song. The first line used to be "I grew up on Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty and George Jones; Loretta Lynn, Don Gibson, Jim Reeves and Buck Owens." I was told that it made the song (and the ones singing it) seem old and dated, so I changed it to some more modern day icons. I sure miss that good old music though - even if that does makes me old and dated.

Thanks for all the comments on the last one folks, and have at it again.
Here 'tis -

This Good Ol' Boy https://soundcloud.com/user-722422510/this-good-ol-boy

Well, I like to hear Brad Paisley, George Strait and Tim McGraw,
or Garth Brooks and Alan Jackson singing good ol’ country songs.
‘Cause all through my life, well I guess it’s plain to see
that I’ve had a hold of country and it’s had a hold on me.
And I may be a good ol’ boy with rough and rowdy ways,
but I gave my life to Jesus. Now this good ol’ boy’s been saved.

Now I like pickin’ guitars and driving pick-up trucks.
Been known to lose my temper and fight when things get rough,
but when it came time to toe the line, it wasn’t all that tough.
‘Cause I got tired. I’d played with fire. Been burned by love and luck.
There was a time I was accused of living life by my own rules,
but now that’s all been changed ‘cause this good ol’ boy’s been saved.

Yeah, I’m a good ol’ boy. Hey, that’s what I’ll always be.
But there’s no greater joy than singing praises to the King, the King of Kings.
Because I once was lost, oh but now I found the way.
I’m gonna shout for joy ‘cause this good ol’ boy’s been saved.

And since I gave my life to Jesus, well everything has changed.
‘Cause he’s the one that freed us from our shackles and our chains.
The joy and peace in my life I know are here to stay
‘cause Jesus Christ paid the price I knew I couldn’t pay.
He paid it for the bankers, the beggars and the thieves,
and thank the Lord, he paid it for the good ol’ boy’s like me.

‘Cause I’m a good ol’ boy. Hey, that’s what I’ll always be.
But there’s no greater joy than singing praises to the King, the King of Kings.
Because I once was lost, oh but now I’ve found the way.

I used a Casio keyboard with a direct line to fat finger the drums in. I used my Ibanez bass and Takamine acoustic for rhythm, and then added an electric guitar rhythm using my Spirit guitar through a Boss ME-8 effects processor for the phase shifter. A BIAB rhythm mandolin gave a little added "boom chukka" and completed the rhythm tracks. I laid the vocals and then put on a BIAB harmonica, pedal steel guitar, and lead guitar. I think I recorded it all little hot and it sounds overdriven, but my hard drive broke and I lost all my individual tracks, so I think I'm stuck with this working copy (It's all I could recover of it.) So anyway, all the blame is mine except the following BIAB tracks:
Mandolin: Andy Leftwich
Harmonica: TJ Klay
Pedal Steel: Steve Hinson
Lead Guitar: Brent Mason

Thanks for the listen,
Brad

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry to hear about about your hard drive issues. Yep, a bit hot, but not terrible.

I enjoyed the song!

IMNSHO the song loses focus. The guitar solo is long - for a guitar break - but lacks direction and sort of noodles around without building tension or going anywhere.

I'm not sure starting a song with a list of names is the way to go - five seems overkill. Being old myself, I'm not sure there's any issue with using one or two from the OG list. Then again, I'm not trying to write for the contemporary market. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This is a very clever tune with a lot of commercial appeal.
Well done Brad...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brad,

My heart goes out to you over that hard drive issue! Been there, done that! These days I back up to a separate drive from the computer! Man I grew up listening to all those legends you mentioned (always really liked Don Williams). Even with all the issues you mentioned, the track still sounds really good!

Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hey Brad...man I've had a hard drive take a dive and lost about ten years of recordings and song ideas...it's was one of the greatest heartbreaks of my life...I back stuff up now...right now as I'm writing this my computer is moving some music files to an external hard drive...love the song...the tempo, the arrangement and of coarse the content...this is a really good write and has a commercial country feel to it...it has as all good country hits seem to have these days very clever and well written phrases...too bad you don't have the original tracks...I think the mix could use some polish as you have eluded to but the song is what the song is and it is good...thanks for sharing and great use of the BiaB tracks!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2023, Steinberg Cubase Pro 12, Wavelab 11.1, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey good ol' boy are you from Hazzard County?

Great song! I like a lot of the same music, that is real country music!

I also think that guitar lead was a bit too long, however you have some very fine chops.

Super song

Two thumbs up

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Brad
Cool song
Has a great sound
You sing it really well
You used BiaB very nice
Makes very much joy to hear the song
Great job Brad
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brent's a good match for the song.
Nice melody, good vocal performance for the most part.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hank Senior is still a favorite. This is such a good song, well constructed with lyrics and the perfect band. I've had that hard drive issue too many times. For whatever reason I lost the original it always seemed to be better if I just bit the bullet and redid it. I like the prodigal son reference and this song makes me want to chase down that fatted calf. Excellent vocal.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice song. It has a good feel and it moves along nicely.

I have to agree with DCuny on the guitar solo.... the perfect cut off point was right there around 2:02. After that and up to 2:28 was meandering around without adding anything to the song except time. In a DAW, that's a super easy fix.

Your lyric writing was, in my opinion, the standout part of this song. Nice work.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool country tune. Super vocal and lyric. Well done.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195