Print Thread
Go To
#714555 04/26/22 08:16 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

Hi,
I've put a RealTrack on a Utility track #1 and want to Mute/Back to Normal etc with the options in F5.

I can edit any of the "normal" tracks, which I've done, but there's no option to edit any of the Utility tracks.

Is there another way to Mute/Back to Normal etc Utility tracks.

Thanks
Brian

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1111. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
With the 2022 version, instead of using the Bar Settings dialogue to control volume you can use the new Volume Automation feature. This feature is shown at 51:18 of this video:

https://youtu.be/BS0yuTwhcCc?t=3078

Best,
Chantelle
Expert
Expert
You may get some better answers, but most I've heard have been to use the amplitude automation. Another option may be to use the "Silence" RealTrack as part of a medley.

This is one of those areas where, at present, all tracks are not quite equal. I suspect they may be at least closer in BiaB 2023.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Chantelle and Gordon for the replies.

So it seems editing Utility tracks audio has to be done in the Edit Audio window.

It's doable and really good for finer audio editing, but for quick basic Mute/Back to Normal etc edits the F5 option is quicker.

Maybe the Utility tracks could be added to the F5 options in the future.

Thanks
Brian

Last edited by Brian Cadoret; 04/26/22 10:06 AM.

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1111. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Brian Cadoret
It's doable and really good for finer audio editing, but for quick basic Mute/Back to Normal etc edits the F5 option is quicker.

There have been a few hints that this might be incorporated down the line...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

Thanks
Brian

It is definitely a feature that has been requested and passed along! smile Who knows what the future may bring.

Veteran
Veteran
Brian,

When I need to use F5 and the track I'm working with is on a Utility track, I do the following.

1) Move one of the tracks that has the F5 settings in place, and is generated with those settings, to a Utility track.

2) Freeze the Utility track.

3) Move the Utility track that I want to work on to the now vacant track to use F5.

The controls to do this are found under "Edit | Copy Special".

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Noel I have looked at that and is a good workaround.

Brian

Brian Cadoret
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Brian,

I'm glad it works for you.

As I found out the hard way, the trick is to make sure that you freeze the Utility track after you move the file from a location that allows F5 to be used. If the track isn't frozen to preserve the settings, it will get overwritten next time the song is generated.

These days I always make sure that I save a copy of the SGU/MGU file with a different name before I start moving things around. That makes it much easier to get back to the original if I need to.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Hi,
I've put a RealTrack on a Utility track #1 and want to Mute/Back to Normal etc with the options in F5.

I can edit any of the "normal" tracks, which I've done, but there's no option to edit any of the Utility tracks.

Is there another way to Mute/Back to Normal etc Utility tracks.

Thanks
Brian

Thanks Chantelle and Gordon for the replies.

So it seems editing Utility tracks audio has to be done in the Edit Audio window.

Thanks
Brian

I'm posting some added information for clarification to the original posts questions about Mute/return to normal feature since the post is a question rather than a 'Wishlist' item.

For those that may not be completely familiar with BIAB Audio Editing and want a quick, basic Mute/Back to normal edit of a Utility Track, there's nultiple ways to mute/unmute within the BIAB Audio Window. Previous posts have explained two, the Volume Automation tool and RealTrack replacement.

First. There are 5 different ways to Mute/Return to normal to Utility Tracks than the Bar Settings Window (F5).

Second. All of the options of Bar Settings that apply to RealTracks in the Legacy Tracks can be done, and with more precision, in the Audio Edit Window equally for all 24 tracks. Learning to edit from the Audio Edit Window will be more beneficial immediately because the user will have full access to all tracks, Legacy and Utility, and editing will be uniform for every track. Every track is accessible immediately with a single mouse click and the edit region selected remains active.

Third. My experience with editing from the Audio Edit Window has shown it's overall faster, more precise and takes less mouse selections than doing the same task in Bar Settings (F5).

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 04/27/22 03:45 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
I guess that the situation here is to provide a consistent and common way to perform these functions.

Depending on the particular track type, both Bar Settings and Audio Edit can be used to successfully produce volume changes. Different methods for different tracks.

I think it's up to PG Music to decide on how to produce a single method that is consistent across all track types.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
"I guess that the situation here is to provide a consistent and common way to perform these functions."

I agree and that's the point I'm making in my earlier post.

The author's original post is specific to RealTracks/Audio. The concern is an audio specific task currently shared between The Audio Edit Window and Bar Settings. Both work but the Audio Editor is the better choice. It's a consistent way to edit muting and the other audio editing tasks while also being common to all of the Mixer Tracks and to all BIAB versions. As noted in the author's original post, Bar Settings aren't available on Utility Tracks. Other types of files don't display in the Audio Edit Window and aren't necessary to discuss because they're off topic to the audio question at hand.

Another common answer to this and similar queries made in past posts is to export audio tracks to a DAW for simple audio editing tasks. My opinion, position and suggestion is that in BIAB's current version, the most convenient, consistent and efficient method to achieve quick, quality audio edits is to use the BIAB Audio Edit Feature. In regard to audio, the Audio Edit Window exceeds the precision, speed of execution and also gives the user visual awareness of the waveform over using Bar Settings. In 2022, in regard to audio; The Audio Edit Window is an improved, updated and superior alternative to the antiquated Bar Settings Feature.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 04/27/22 07:48 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
In regard to audio, the Audio Edit Window exceeds the precision, speed of execution and also gives the user visual awareness of the waveform over using Bar Settings. In 2022, in regard to audio; The Audio Edit Window is an improved, updated and superior alternative to the antiquated Bar Settings Feature.

I agree, Charlie.

Just recently I wrote and arranged a song using BIAB's Audio Edit to modify the tracks rather than my DAW. The process worked excellently and was much more nuanced than bar settings. It was also very easy to use.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Noel, an interesting note about your workaround is that with only the modification of moving RealTrack audio to a folder rather than a Utility Track, which didn't exist then, users could use the Audio Editor on RealTracks in earlier versions of BIAB as far back as 2015 instead of a DAW.

Charlie

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
One thing about F5 (Bar Settings) that is really a plus is the "ALL INSTRUMENTS" option. Which, before utility tracks, would allow you to perform a function on all tracks in one place with one step. Although, that function doesn't affect the utility tracks.

Also, the "MASTER TRACK" in the mixer allows you to make volume automation changes, but they don't do anything. Would be great feature if implemented.

I'm a fan of bar settings for all channels, although volume automation is a very nice feature.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Thunderthud
One thing about F5 (Bar Settings) that is really a plus is the "ALL INSTRUMENTS" option. Which, before utility tracks, would allow you to perform a function on all tracks in one place with one step. Although, that function doesn't affect the utility tracks.

Also, the "MASTER TRACK" in the mixer allows you to make volume automation changes, but they don't do anything. Would be great feature if implemented.

I'm a fan of bar settings for all channels, although volume automation is a very nice feature.

You're correct that the "ALL INSTRUMENTS" option in Bar Settings no longer works for all instruments but those features are still available for all instruments and now even include the Utility Tracks.

Of the "All Instrument" options, my thought is the Mute/Return to Normal would be the most common usage, correct? That feature is still available for "All Instruments". All channel Mute/UnMute is now done using the Master Mute button on the Mixer. To me, this is more convenient and faster than the older Bar Settings method. Soloing various tracks and Freezing all tracks can also done from the Master Track. All instruments can be uniformly changed up or down in the BIAB Mixer using the Ctrl key and mouse or using the Master Fader. Fade-in can be done manually using the Master Volume control in the Classic View. Fade-out can be manually done using the Master Volume control in the Classic View or programmed from the Song Settings Window. So, no feature has been lost with the introduction of Utility Tracks. In my opinion, the upgrades and new features outweigh the minor inconvenience of learning their new locations.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 04/28/22 06:30 AM.

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Charlie, thanks for your reply. But I must confess that I'm quite confused by it.

The Master channel in the mixer (as far as I can tell), cannot be used to fade in the start of a song, or fade it out. Volume automation doesn't work on it and you can't specify where to come in or out. The mute button just mutes all channels. Doesn't replace being able to specify bars, it just mutes.

As far as I can see (and I hope and wish that I'm wrong), the only thing that the Master channel on the mixer is good for is inserting plug-ins that affect the whole song.

Please correct me or clarify. Thanks!

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Didn't mean to be confusing and no correction is necessary to what you're thinking to be correct. Your perspective of BIAB being similar to how DAW automation works is right.

I don't think of BIAB in terms of DAW operation and never have so I don't encounter workflow automation glitches if a new feature is added like the introduction of Utility Tracks have created for many users.

So, while your thinking that BIAB's Mixer and Master Channel capability is very limited, you've only discovered one of it's many abilities. It will do all of the things I pointed in my earlier post and more. However, BIAB's Mixer operates like a basic, hardware digital multi track recorder and not like a DAW. That means operations are not automated but are done manually in real time. In many instances, with operations being done one at a time.

F5 options that include Utility Tracks are in the Wish List Forum and one day may be a reality.

EDIT: I corrected the third paragraph to reflect I mean your thoughts about mixer capability, not your thinking... ;=)

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 04/30/22 11:58 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,350
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182