Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

Do others have the same issue after generating a song on Reaper/ Windows 11 ?

The plugin is very convenient for Reaper , but it crashes randomly just after the generation

Loading it in a separate process as Reaper permits avoid crashing the daw (as the plugin is loaded inside the reaper_host64.exe wrapper , only reaper_host64.exe crashes) , but still it is annoying to have to reload the plugin after the crash of reaper_host64.exe

Btw , I am using the VST2 version as VST3 does not send midi program change to my synt vsti, but I have the same issue with the VST3 version.

Also , I have tried another daw (vsthost) with the same issue.

G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

FWiW , I have noticed that the process bbw4_64.exe is launched during song generation

I have tried to change its setting to run it as an administrator (same for processes reaper.exe and reaper_host64.exe) with no success.

Veteran
Veteran
Sorry my DAW is not eligable for Win11 otherwise, the BIAB-VST has been stable with Win10.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

Thanks for the info

Sometimes I am able to do several generations in a row , but eventually there is a crash

Veteran
Veteran
Gegu,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box. If you would like to help PG Music resolve the issue, there are several text file logs you can copy and post in the forum.

Use Notepad to create a blank text file. Save the blank file under the name "PreserveAllFiles.txt. Move the PreserveAllFiles.txt file to the BBPlugin directory at \bb\BBPlugin\PreserveAllFiles.txt.

The blank file instructs the plugin to keep all temporary input-output files. These files normally are generated on the fly then discarded. This allows you to look and copy them.

Some of the temporary files include:
BBoutput.txt
RBResults.txt
BBInput.txt
BBSong.txt

There are two locations where you may find useful information regarding crashes. They include:
\bb\Data\bbw4_PlugInLog.txt. Backend Errors messages can appear here. Backend is communication between the main Band-in-a-Box program and the plugin.
\bb\Data\bbw4_64exe_FlashMessageLog.txt
Flash messages are the yellow and green pop up messages that briefly appear. The Flash message file will show some error messages.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

Thanks for your advice

Here are the files biab_plugin_crash_files ( I have not found files BBREsults.txt and BB Song.txt) , and the EventWiewer trace.

Before the error , I was able to generate about twenty generations of the same song in a row ( without playing it)

The WinDbg.txt file was made by attaching WinDbg to Reaper_Host64.exe process (but not in the same session as the files above)

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
When reaper locks up, in the Task Manager you can right click reaper.exe > Create Dump file
then zip it up and post in the reaper forum and they maybe able to tell you what's wrong.

You can try it in KV Element in Reaper
load element as a vst3 plugin then drag and drop the BBPlugin into it, hook the in/out up then click the EXT top left to sync it.

You can try Band In A Box Track Injector for Reaper

G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

I can not create a dump file using the Task manager as the process does not lock but die

The Windows Event Viewer mentions several files but I can not find them
found errors are : 0xc0000374 , 0xc000041d , 0xc0000005 in modules "ntdll.dll" or "Band-in-a-Box DAW VST Plugin.dll"

This issue is very random , sometimes the crash happens at the first generation or after a few generations , but not always

BTW , I have the same issue with another daw (VstHost)

Thanks for your help anyway

Last edited by gegu; 05/08/22 10:25 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Gegu,

Thanks for collecting all those files.

The plugins depend on the main Band-in-a-Box program to regenerate tracks. The bbw4_64.exe app you mentioned runs in the background as needed to provide a communication path between the plugin and the Band-in-a-Box program.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

FWIW , here is the procmon64 trace of reaper_host64.exe and bbw* processes from beginning of song generation to the crash : procmon64_logfile

using the build 4.5.33 of the VST2 plugin in Reaper 6.57 , driver asio RME Babyface Pro @ 44.1 Khz / 24 bits

No trace of a Band In A Box program , only the backend
but it seems that the size of bbw64.exe and bbw4_64.exe are similar ( 54946 kb vs 54981 kb) ?

There are several WerFault.exe process near the end

Also , I have tried to do a test with "dummy" audio driver in Reaper with the same issue.

Last edited by gegu; 05/08/22 08:17 PM.
G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

It seems that unckecking "sync" during song generation does the trick (both in Reaper and VstHost)

If checked , error happens again

(Why ? ...)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gegu
Hi ,

It seems that unckecking "sync" during song generation does the trick (both in Reaper and VstHost)

If checked , error happens again

(Why ? ...)

Oh, the sync button. Why didn't you mention that earlier. I think you have reinvented the wheel.
I have not seen that problem in a long time. See my setup.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (124.48 KB, 145 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

The sync button I am talking about is on the GUI biab_vst_sync

It is not evident why it has an influence during song generation , but I am affirmative on this.

Last edited by gegu; 05/09/22 12:10 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
My point gegu was this is unforturnately old news to many of us. I set my configuration to avoid this trap. You ask why? Because even well into its 3rd year this application is a bit of a work in progress. It can work fine and do what nothing else can do, but you have to know what not to do.

G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

The workaround (I think I have found) is not too restrictive, I hope it can be useful for others.

But of course it would be better if the cause is solved

Thanks for your help and advice

Gegu

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Oh, the sync button. Why didn't you mention that earlier. I think you have reinvented the wheel.
I have not seen that problem in a long time.

The somewhat glib response points to a glaring issue with BIAB..."old hands" find & share solutions and the program isn't modified to resolve them as there's insufficient "call" to do so.

Newer users are left with the task of problem identification & solution finding or asking for help in the forum as the search engine for such issues is, at best, hopeless.

If the wheel isn't known it will, eventually, be (re)invented.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
Hey don't blame the messenger.

G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

The plugin does not crash during song generation if I don't check "sync" ,

but still there have been a few crash while the daw is doing nothing

Some error dumps that occured during song generation : vst_plugin_crash_dump_files

Last edited by gegu; 05/15/22 09:22 AM.
A
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
A
Thank you for the feedback gegu! As far as I am aware, there has never been an issue regarding the sync button causing a crash while generating, so this is not old news to me.

In order to help determine the cause of the crash, I will need you to provide me with the following files:
1. C:\Users\Public\Ticket\BBPluginDebug.txt
2. bb\BBPlugin\SavedTracks\BBInput.txt
3. bb\BBPlugin\SavedTracks\BBOutput.txt
4. bb\BBPlugin\SavedTracks\BBSong.txt

*Note that files 2, 3, and 4 require the presence of this text file: "bb\BBPlugin\PreserveAllFiles.txt". All of the files should be acquired immediately after the crash.

Could you also provide me with a saved song file (.sgu) as well as the exact steps you took to reproduce this crash? This should include details like which style/other tracks are loaded and any other information that may affect the way the song is generated.

If you have a screen recording program (like OBS which is free), it would be great if you could share a video of your screen leading up to a crash. This is often the easiest way for me to determine what the cause of the crash is.

You can upload all this information here or email me directly at aguy@pgmusic.com. I will do everything I can to help you resolve this issue!

G
gegu Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hi ,

Here is the video recording of "follow that cab" generation with "sync" checked, using vsthost64 daw and the VST2 plugin (VST3 plugin , reaper daw crash too) :

vsthost64_biab_vst2.mp4

Sometimes the crash happens at first or after a few generations , whatever the song is

As I said , having "sync" unckecked during the generation helps a lot , but I have had a few crash even when doing nothing

As for the files you asked for , I have already given links in my former posts

Last edited by gegu; 05/16/22 12:48 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,562
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200