Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#716451 - 05/11/22 04:27 AM [User Showcase] WE part way there.
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Hello Folks,
This is a song I started a couple of days ago.
I've lined up a cellist to play the intro, solo & outro but that'll be a coupe of weeks away.
I've lined up a good guitarist to provide better chord voicings.
This mix has BIAB cello, Piano, violin and drums.
I played guitar (through an ACTONE amp in a box pedal), bass, (through a Behringer BDI21), used eBow on one guitar part in the verses and I triple tracked my croak.
I anticipate replacing the guitars at the very least.

WE draft V2

I've paid attention to suggestions and comments and have applied all I could in this updated mix. It may not remain as it is but it's an application of suggestions, more vocal, punch in the rhythm section, new guitars with different tonality, an arpeggio (such as it is - two notes of the truncated chords in the verse more audible in V2 & V3)and some EQing to give each instrument more of its own space in the stereo image AND I removed the steady strumming guitar.

WE forum camel committee mix

WE forum camel committee mix
The song was written in BIAB and I tracked my parts while playing along to the tracks I'd pulled into Reaper from it.
The CHORD CHART in the DAW plugin is, for me, the best part of the plugin.
I don't have to spend days learning a song when I can simply play along to the bouncing ball - so to speak.
The chart, screen shot & saved, is also a boon for collaboration. There may be a way of saving it as an image that's native to BIAb but I've not discovered that yet.

It began as an exercise writing in a different key...I then decided to work way out of my realm with a sappy/sad song.
Lyrics
When you say we
You don' t mean me
You talk of someone new
And there's nothing I can do.

People stop and ask me
If I'm doing well
But I now dodge their questions
There's nothing I can tell

When you say we
It's not how it should be
Because things have changed
And won't be re-arranged

People stop and ask me
About you and yours
I can't face their questions
I prefer to stay indoors

When you say we
My mind is all at sea
You mean a different two
That's not what we once knew.

People stop and ask me
About you and I
I can't face the answers
I chose to not reply

When you say we
You don' t mean me
You talk of someone new
And there's nothing I can do.

I am interested in comments/critiques/thoughts generally but am particularly interested in ideas about the current, & potential, arrangement of instruments.
Blast away - negativity gives me something to think through if nothing else.

Edited by rayc (05/14/22 03:33 AM)

#716453 - 05/11/22 04:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Ray,

I'm first to talk about your song.
And I was pleasantly surprised! What an -almost- lovely song you made.
I liked the instruments you chose, especially the cello.
The melody is lovely, the lyrics sad but very well written. I liked the verse:

"When you say we
You don't mean me
You talk of someone new
And there's nothing I can do"

There are a few aspects I want to touch on to: Your vocals were too soft. I would prefer them way more upfront.
What kind of fx you used on the vocals? Although they were hidden a bit, I liked that a lot, like in:

"People stop and ask me
If I'm doing well
But I now dodge their questions
There's nothing I can tell"

But for me they were too soft as well. Here these fx could be used louder. They sound very well.
And why did I say 'almost' at the beginning of my comment? Because you can hear the threat from the start. And that's not what you do in a 'lovely'song. But who cares.

I enjoyed it, Ray!

Hans

#716477 - 05/11/22 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
PROJECT M Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Versmold - GERMANY
Hi Ray
Really cool made
The song has a very interesting background track
Is very well done
The vocals fit perfectly into it
Very good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

#716523 - 05/11/22 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Good start on the song. This will develop into an excellent piece. Well done

#716530 - 05/11/22 06:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Ray,
Very cool tune. Has a very personal / intimate feel, if one can say that. Would be interesting to hear how it develops. I like the vocals on it a lot, and compared to your other drafts, they are well positioned in the mix., I would up them just very slightly. EBow, seems like a fun toy. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#716538 - 05/11/22 10:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Hi, Ray.

Harmonies are interesting.

The vocals parts step on each other in places, making it to make out the lyric. Some of the lines start clear, but then fade into the background and are soft and hard to make out.

It sounds like you're trying to bury the vocals, and that's a big nope for me. Put 'em front and center.

Then again, I see others on the thread who disagree, so... laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#716544 - 05/12/22 12:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: Birchwood]
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ray,

pleasantly surprised! What an -almost- lovely song you made.
I liked the instruments you chose, especially the cello.
The melody is lovely, the lyrics sad but very well written.
Your vocals were too soft. I would prefer them way more upfront.
What kind of fx you used on the vocals?
the threat from the start.
Hans

Thanks Hans,
I expect the real cello part to REALLY up the game.
Lyrically this was easy - I started with the 1st line and the 1st two stanzas came very quickly. After that is as case of building the lyric with variations on those two. Quick n easy.
IF I find a better singer I'll push them forward a little.
Vocal FX...compression, (Deathcore to even things a little and add some grime) EQ, (boosted the weak freqs & cut the heavy ones) & sent to a reverb bus...nothing else. Though the vocals are triple tracked in unison except for the harmony spots so that would provide some natural "chorus" treatment.
Threat? Ominous, sad, pathetic as well I hope.

#716545 - 05/12/22 12:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: PROJECT M]
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Ray
Really cool made
The song has a very interesting background track
Is very well done
The vocals fit perfectly into it
Very good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Andi,
I hope it progresses as well as it started.

#716546 - 05/12/22 12:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: Scott C]
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Good start on the song. This will develop into an excellent piece. Well done

Thanks Scott,
particularly for the optimistic prediction.

#716547 - 05/12/22 12:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: Rustyspoon#]
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ray,
Very cool tune. Has a very personal / intimate feel, if one can say that. Would be interesting to hear how it develops. I like the vocals on it a lot, and compared to your other drafts, they are well positioned in the mix., I would up them just very slightly. EBow, seems like a fun toy. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

"they are well positioned in the mix" thanks & "up them just very slightly." I shall try.

#716548 - 05/12/22 12:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: dcuny]
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Ray.
Harmonies are interesting.
The vocals parts step on each other in places, making it to make out the lyric. Some of the lines start clear, but then fade into the background and are soft and hard to make out.
It sounds like you're trying to bury the vocals, and that's a big nope for me. Put 'em front and center.
Then again, I see others on the thread who disagree, so... laugh

Thanks dcuny,
The harmonies shouldn't be interesting as they form the triad. I must have goofed and thrown in something oblique or jazz.
I had a listen after reading your comment about buried vocals/tapering off - I don't hear that but will return to the mix to investigate.
I'm not burying the vocals intentionally but don't hear the songs as being the sort that is vocalist with backing like my old 78s.
Differing opinion is excellent - it gives me cause to check and review.

#716557 - 05/12/22 03:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Has the potential of being a good song, Ray. I'm looking forward to hearing how it develops.

Vocal sounds good, initially I thought it was too low in the mix, but as the song progressed it seemed to fit better. Not very helpful I know! eek

#716568 - 05/12/22 04:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
AudioTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Ray, an interesting song with intriguing lyrics.

This could easily be something from the 'Pet Shop Boys'.

Perhaps as a suggestion you could edit the start to take out the 2 bar count-in, which is ideally not part of the song.

I also think the vocal could come forward slightly in the mix.

It includes an interesting ending. Somehow there's and anticipation that it will resolve to a different chord, but leaves some suspense instead.
BIAB & RB2022 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#716586 - 05/12/22 06:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Expert

Loc: United Kingdom
Good job! I like it ... sad, soft and sensitive. My kind of song! :-)

I, too, would have appreciated the vocals just a tad more "in front" ... otherwise the very tune gets lost, and that would be a pity, right? Enjoyed the (as others have said) suspensful nature of the ending, too. Nice! :-)

#716590 - 05/12/22 06:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Very cool lining up a cellist. Did you write specific parts for her? Sad lyrics. Very sad not to be part of the WE. I really like your vocals, Ray. When you say they are triple tracked, you don't mean 3 takes, right? How do you process them differently, or is it just for panning to make it fuller?

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 9

#716591 - 05/12/22 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: United States
Dewey_MI Offline
Apprentice

Loc: United States
Great concept and unique angle to the hook, Ray!

If you want this to be more commercially accepted, you may consider chopping a measure at the end of each verse line. This would take out the space and, of course, decrease the song length. Commercial songs are moving to 3 to 3:30 minutes these days.

BYW, love the cello

#716593 - 05/12/22 06:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Ray,

I really like the chord progression and the song itself. Great lyrics. This sounds like a worktape to me in terms of mix.

A lot of the stuff is in the same dynamic range and even has the same sound, so it is getting mushed. The backing track sounds muffled, and almost like one track--not a mix.

I would get the bass and drums sounding punchy and solid, then add in new guitars, as you say, that have totally different dynamic ranges to make the song more crisp. Maybe an electric AND an acoustic, or something.

Anyway, you are definitely off to a good start!!

#716623 - 05/12/22 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi Ray ...

I like the bones of this song. I don't typically offer a lot of commentary of a song still in progress with significant developments still in waiting. I feel the composer should finish it out as he/she feels it best occurs. But I don't mind offering an opinion on the potential. I think this one has a lot.

Good luck with the song's progress. Anticipate a nice listen when it's finished and polished. Good luck with it ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#716645 - 05/12/22 12:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
ray,

Listening to V2 (missed the first one).

LOVE the vocal. Especially the sound at "If I'm doing well" and "There's nothing I can tell". Tight and right on top of the main vocal - actually sounds generated - very "today" sound.

Drums sound good. Cello bits are cool.

The guitars sound good. But I thought they were a bit too "smooth"... the steady strumming.
Had the thought that some kind of odd, signature arpeggiated guitar (and/or synth?) might work.
I could certainly be wrong about that though. Just a thought.

I like what you've got so far.

fj

#716661 - 05/12/22 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: WE part way there. [Re: rayc]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Ray,

I was pleasantly surprised by the 80s like vocal in this.

In the final mix I would leave out the BIAB intro ticks and make your vocal a little bit hot and bright (a little bit muddy now).

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
New Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Add-ons are Here!

We're excited to say that we've just released some amazing new RealStyles with XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3 and Xtra Styles PAK 13 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows or Mac!

XPro Styles PAK 2 includes 100 fresh new RealStyles that will up the utility and fun factor of the Band-in-a-Box® Pro version by adding 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles! XPro Styles PAK 3 goes even further - not only is it packed 100 new RealStyles, it includes 35 RealTracks that are not included with a Pro or MegaPAK purchase - adding even more versatility to what these can do! Sink your teeth into 25 rock/pop styles, 25 jazz/funk styles, 25 country/bluegrass styles, and 25 styles featuring a mix of genres ranging from high energy electro swing to ambient grooves and everything in between.

With the new Xtra Styles PAK 13, we're going to make the number thirteen lucky again! There are 200 new RealStyles for Rock/Pop, Jazz, Country, and Singer-Songwriter. Some examples of what's included: Mellow soundtrack rock, Americana country lullaby, western swing big band, coffee house jazz waltz, jazzy jump blues, songwriter gospel ballad, fast indie rock, vintage clav funk, country pop march, and much, much more!

And they're all ON SALE until July 15th! Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs or XPro Styles PAKs for only $29 per PAK (regular price $49 each)!

Purchase XPro Styles PAKs
Purchase Xtra Styles PAKs
Learn more & watch our video demonstrations

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac is here!

There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 13, XPro Styles PAKs 2 & 3, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase a Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2022 packages! For more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!), upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Mac.

How to: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Did you know that you can have multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box® open on your computer? There was a conversation about this recently on our Forum, so we put together this video explaining how: Opening Multiple Instances of Band-in-a-Box®

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

How to: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track (RealBand)

Using RealBand and wondering how to replace a MIDI track with an audio track?

We show you how in our RealBand®: Replacing a MIDI Track with an Audio Track
video!

How to: Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Do you want to record your MIDI keyboard into Band-in-a-Box®, but aren't sure where to start? This quick video is what you've been looking for! How to Setup and Record with a MIDI Keyboard in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows.

User Guide: Working with MIDI

How to: Why Does My Song Keep Looping in Band-in-a-Box®?

Your Band-in-a-Box® song is looping, and you don't want it to - what do you do?

Fortunately, this is a program setting that can be adjusted - see how this is done: Band-in-a-Box®: Why Does My Song Keep Looping?

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

(Additional Song Preferences you might also find useful: Global Song Overrides)

How to: Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Did you know that you can copy the chords and other details of your Band-in-a-Box song into a document? We show you how in this video: How to Copy Chords and Song Info from Band-in-a-Box® to a Document

Learn more about this feature: Online Manual - Copy/Paste Chords as Simple Text

Forum Stats
36195 Members
64 Forums
74819 Topics
657095 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
garywooten, jchinkley, SphereTrax, Sunblock, spyder27

36194 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 245