You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#716217 - 05/09/22 08:26 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] BIAB run on Linux
Loc: Oklahoma
MountainMan Offline

I apologize if this has been covered previously.
Will there ever be a Linux version of BIAB?
I do not want to run Win 11 and after support is dropped for win 10 I will switch to Linux for my everyday computing. If I continue to use win 10 off line for BIAB, will upgrades and updates of BIAB still work on offline win 10? Or should I just use my system as it is at that time? I am not sure that this is clear. I will try to explain further if anyone would like me to.
I don't use BIAB professionally, but I have a lot of fun with it.
I am a retired Chemist and Musician and would like to keep using it.

Thank You for reading and also if you respond.
I am not technically challenged but close to it.
Den Rogers

#716264 - 05/09/22 01:18 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
Loc: Hockley, TX
Byron Dickens Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hockley, TX
My question is why are you going to want to tie your hands behind your back like that?

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs

#716283 - 05/09/22 03:08 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
Loc: Hampshire, UK
Gordon Scott Offline
Journeyman

It doesn't look likely that PGM will produce a Linux version, at least not anytime soon.

It is, though, possible to run BiaB on Linux using Wine ... both user pipeline and I, at least, have it mostly working, but there are still a few hangups. Probably the bigbest is that BiaB uses Windows Media Player to play .wma files and that doesn't work for it on Linux. There's a workaround for most things, by expanding the .wma files to .wav, or by getting the audiophile version. The demo songs don't play, I presume because BiaB doesn't even look for a .wav version.

It will also run in VirtualBox on Linux. There's a bit of messing about to route USB MIDI devices.

Have a look through +++ this thread +++ where pipeline helped me to fix a few issues.
My later efforts with +++ AVL:MXE +++ went quite well. I'm now more likely to work with BiaB on Linux than on Windows10, though mostly because I'm a long-term Unix/Linux user.

As an aside, whilst I don't have a huge number of VSTs and similar, most work just fine in Linux, though some of the download managers need some coaxing, for example, the Native-Instruments downloader fails to install downloaded .iso files, but one can just mount and run them manually (there's a special mount mode).

HTH.
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.

#716299 - 05/09/22 05:58 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
MountainMan Offline

Thank You Gordon! Your info is very helpful.

#716300 - 05/09/22 06:06 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
MountainMan Offline

Byron Thanks for your reply.
I have a computer that works very well for me. It will not upgrade to win 11. I want to keep my computer. I will work my music offline and use a linux Hdd for my other business.
I'm just an old stubborn man I guess.
Mountain Man

#716681 - 05/12/22 05:56 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

At this time there's no plans for a Linux version, but as mentioned above you can technically simulate a Windows environment on a Linux machine in order to run Windows programs.

#716734 - 05/13/22 05:46 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

I've upgraded to Windows 11, and for all I do, it doesn't seem that different from Win 10. Some cosmetic changes, some new minor irritants, and some things seem to work better.

What am I missing?

What's wrong with Win 11 that I shouldn't want to use it?

Thanks,
Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#716751 - 05/13/22 06:56 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: Notes Norton]
Gordon Scott Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
What am I missing?

A main issue seems to me to be Windows 11 refusing to install/run unless your CPU is of a sufficiently recent generation. If you've updated OK, then I think there are few or no reasons to not use it.

PC World: Here are the CPUs that officially can run Windows 11

Microsoft: Windows Processor Requirements

Edit ... an additional annoyance that I hit for myself is older versions of Windows (in my case Win7) will also not install if the CPU is deemed too new.

Edited by Gordon Scott (05/13/22 06:58 AM)

#716769 - 05/13/22 08:33 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: Gordon Scott]
MountainMan Offline

Thank You Gordon. You said it better than I could.
I would only like to add IMHO Microsoft is slowly moving towards not allowing any software to run that is not approved by their app store.
I have 5 computers in my household and can't afford to replace all of them.

Mountain Man

#716783 - 05/13/22 10:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
Gordon Scott Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MountainMan
I have 5 computers in my household and can't afford to replace all of them.

Mountain Man

I have only a few applications on Windows that I need(*) for which I don't have either good Linux substitutes or I can't/don't run under Wine or in VirtualBox on Linux. My wife uses Linux and for a number of years simply presumed it was Windows. She hadn't realised it wasn't.

BiaB is good but imperfect under Wine, though a few little things actually work better under Wine than on Windows.
(*)I have a PCB CAD system that won't render layouts under Wine or VirtualBox.

IIRC, that's it, though I'm sure there are other things. Video editors are sometimes still a bit limited and a bit fragile. I have 7 computers here in pretty-much everyday use. Two of those are ITXs (my main file-server and BackupPC in an outbuilding), one is a Raspberry Pi (DMZ and mail transport). None of those three, nor my studio PC even have Windows on them.

I do though have around 40 years experience with Unix and Linux systems and I'm perfectly happy using the command line for some tasks. Indeed I prefer it for some tasks.

Oh, BTW, I have no objection to paying for software on Linux and I'll make donations to help support the free stuff. To me that seems only fair.

Edited by Gordon Scott (05/13/22 10:05 AM)

#716785 - 05/13/22 10:20 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Gordon Scott Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
At this time there's no plans for a Linux version...

... which is perfectly understandable for many reasons... PGM has a business to run, staff to pay and mouths to feed. At the same time, though, it would be wonderful if someone within PGM had an active interest in Linux and could help towards smoothing out the odd bumps in the road.

#716839 - 05/13/22 05:27 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Windows 11 preview is demonstrating a new Sound Recorder utility. +++ Sound Recorder Preview Article +++
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#716845 - 05/13/22 05:53 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: Gordon Scott]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
At this time there's no plans for a Linux version...

... which is perfectly understandable for many reasons... PGM has a business to run, staff to pay and mouths to feed. At the same time, though, it would be wonderful if someone within PGM had an active interest in Linux and could help towards smoothing out the odd bumps in the road.

I can't guarantee anything as a result of doing so, but I can at the very least pass these wishes along for you.

#716858 - 05/13/22 07:29 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Biab Track Injector for REAPER should work under Linux as there is a Reaper version for Linux, and running Biab and AutoHotkey under wine.
The Reaper script just calls on Autohotkey scripts to access Biab functions.
The bb folder may have to be changed in the Reaper script to point to the wine folder as the script just needs to read C:\bb\Data
temp.text
trackdata.txt
RealTracksList.txt
RealDrumsList.txt

and the wine path added in front of the RealTrack/Drums path.

If the BBPlugin was self contained with all the functions in it rather than in the BB app it would work under Linux with yarbridge.

It would be good if there was a Biab Linux version but then they would need 6 months on Win, 6 months on Mac and 6 months on Linux and that is more months than in a year.

#716906 - 05/14/22 05:32 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: Gordon Scott]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
What am I missing?

A main issue seems to me to be Windows 11 refusing to install/run unless your CPU is of a sufficiently recent generation. If you've updated OK, then I think there are few or no reasons to not use it.<...snip...>

Thanks, Gordon.

Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#717136 - 05/16/22 02:00 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: BIAB run on Linux [Re: MountainMan]
Gordon Scott Offline
Journeyman

I've been meaning to try this for ages, but never quite got around to it until now. I have no evidenced whether the following translates into reality and clearly must try it to find out.

RealBand Action->Test_Audio_Performance on this rather old series-7.

Windows 10 ... estimated 145 tracks.
AVL:MXE Linux ... estimated 208 tracks.

I wonder if there's a good repeatable way to prove or disprove those estimates.

PG Music News
Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"

Getting together and playing music and writing songs is a wonderful way to spend some free time!

Recently, a few of our Forum members did just that... and they made a video to prove it!

Check out what Charlie Fogle, Eddie, Herb, Pat Marr, David Snyder got up to - and how they did it: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"

...hopefully it inspires you to keep the fun in making music!

How to: Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®

Starting with a RealStyle in Band-in-a-Box®, and want to make one of your tracks a MIDI track? See how this is done using the MIDI Track Picker dialog with our video How to Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Band-in-a-Box® Tuba RealTracks

Today (May 6) is International Tuba Day!

Celebrate your love for the Tuba today - add one of our Tuba RealTracks (available in Sets 143, 162, and 248) played by either Brad Muirhead or Philip Santner.

Already have a Band-in-a-Box® song with a Tuba? Share it here!

How to: Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

Looking for a specific RealTrack for your song? See how easy it is to search by keyword or file name when you watch our latest video, How to Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Today!

Using Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows? Great news! We've released a free update that enhances many of the MIDI features and Drum Stems tracks, updates the program manual and documentation, and resolves a few user reported issues.

This free update includes additional enhancements to the DAW Plugin, and updates it to version 4.5.33.

Make sure you download this free update today!

Learn more...

How to: Capturing and Adding a Screenshot to the PG Music Forums

The PG Music Forums is packed with an incredibly active community, always happy to discuss and share Band-in-a-Box tips, help with any questions other users have, and of course share their songs!

Want to know how to add a screenshot to your forum post? Follow the steps in our helpful video tutorial.

Band-in-a-Box® Utility Tracks User Tip

#TipTuesday

Utility Tracks were added to Band-in-a-Box® with version 2021. With this feature, there are now 16 editable Utility tracks in Band-in-a-Box®, which can be used for audio and/or MIDI! Generate RealTracks, RealDrums, MIDI tracks, and you can even record or import existing Audio or MIDI files to these tracks!

See how forum user justanoldmuso utilizes this feature to streamline their workflow with their recent post, Side benefit of biab added utility tracks.

Forum Stats
36037 Members
64 Forums
74392 Topics
652808 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
cornbread, ivova61, revnev, robertjohn5814, crm88

36037 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 132
MarioD 120