Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I've just installed Xtra Styles set 13 and I can't see any styles when seaching the StylePicker using "select other options" -> "Show Xtra Styles..." -> "Xtra Styles PAK 13".

I think that this is not something I've done wrong, but I'll report my actions anyway.

I downloaded the .exe to a folder.

I first tried and install via Wine on Linux. The install seemed to go OK (to [url=F://bb][url=F://bb][url=F://bb]F://bb[/url][/url][/url]), Rebuild the Styles database seemed to go OK, Xtra Styles 13 appears in the "What Add-On do I have", but I can't see the styles as above.

OK, I'm outside the normal envelope here.

Reboot to Windows 10.
Try exactly the same as in Wine. Exactly the same outcome.
Run the downloader, point it to C:/BBDownloads directory with the .exe.
The downloader finds the file and offers INSTALL, so I click it and the downloader reports it as installed.
(I had put in the URL, but didn't do the download).
Rebuild etc., as both previous attempts, with the same outcomes.

Thoughts, please?

Thanks.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 06/23/22 11:55 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Oh ... that's interesting.

I've just run the .exe on my Windows 8.1 notepad PC, (installing on C:/bb) and here, after the styles rebuild, I do see the Xtra Set 13 entries in the StylePicker as I expect.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Please download and install the latest build update from our site here: https://dl11.pgmusic.com/support/patch/bb2022_win_update_build923.exe Once installed, rebuild the StylePicker and you should see your Xtra Styles PAK 13 Styles.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jerry
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ah yes ... I didn't think to check the notepad version, which actually is 920.

Installing 923 under Wine threw an error and though 923 appears installed, I still see no Xtra Set 13 on it.
I'll try installing from Win 10 (it installs to the exact same hard drive) and see if that fixes things.
I'll update the notepad to 923 as well and will report everything later (my Win10 still does that maddening undoing the changes thing that takes ages). Hopefully I'll be able to report tonight (UK).

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Installing the 923 update .exe on the notepad went fine. On that, the Xtra Set 13 stuff appears as expected in the StylePicker, so that seems good.

Installing the same .exe under Win 10 appeared fine, but does not make the Xtra Set 13 stuff appear in the StylePicker. Just FYI, Xtra Sets 1 through 12 all show normally, both in Win 10 and Wine+Linux.

I'll try things again tomorrow, as booting Win10 caused it to go to a boot failure mode, during which I have to do a couple or three failed "Diagnose your PC" cycles before it will boot properly ... again, nobody seems to understand why and I've been wrestling that for nearly two years now. This time it also seems to have done something naughty to an NTFS filesystem, as Linux reported errors. Unfortunately it won't even let me reinstall Win 10 from scratch, either.
A minor nightmare, actually. :-(

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Installing the same .exe under Win 10 appeared fine, but does not make the Xtra Set 13 stuff appear in the StylePicker. Just FYI, Xtra Sets 1 through 12 all show normally, both in Win 10 and Wine+Linux.

Do you have a file "_UNITY.STY" in the Styles folder in your Band-in-a-Box folder (e.g. C:\bb\Styles) ? If not, you probably installed the Xtra Styles PAK to a wrong/different folder. If it does appear there, then you are either running bbw64.exe from a different bb folder, or you have a filter applied in the StylePicker - in that case press the Clear button.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:

Do you have a file "_UNITY.STY" in the Styles folder in your Band-in-a-Box folder (e.g. C:\bb\Styles) ? If not, you probably installed the Xtra Styles PAK to a wrong/different folder. If it does appear there, then you are either running bbw64.exe from a different bb folder, or you have a filter applied in the StylePicker - in that case press the Clear button.

Hi Andrew,

My styles folder is F:/bb/Styles and it does contain _UNITY.STY
There are 9689 .STY files there. which is somewhere like right.
There are only 5064 .STX files ... is that significant?

There are some .STY files in the C:/bb/Styles directories; 67 on Windows and 871 on the Wine C drive. Probably they're left over from moving to F: ... I'll move them as appropriate.
There is no _UNITY.STY on either of those.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
There are some .STY files in the C:/bb/Styles directories; 67 on Windows and 871 on the Wine C drive. Probably they're left over from moving to F: ... I'll move them as appropriate.

The 67 moved; the 871 did not, meaning they're duplicates or older than the files on F:

I've done both fast and slow rebuilds, as I have some Norton Music styles, too.
During the 'slow' build I noticed it was reporting some _* styles in the yellow pop-up, so watched for _UNITY and saw it, plus some others I recall (e.g. _TOOTONE), so it's seeing the files OK. It says it added 260 additional styles.

StylePicker now shows _UNITY but thinks it's in Xtra PAK 12, ditto TOOTONE.
The Xtra Set 13 filter (why the different name?) still shows nothing.

Just for the record, I did those in BiaB under Wine. I'll try similar on Win10 soon.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Essentially the same behaviour on Win10.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I've done both fast and slow rebuilds, as I have some Norton Music styles, too.
During the 'slow' build I noticed it was reporting some _* styles in the yellow pop-up, so watched for _UNITY and saw it, plus some others I recall (e.g. _TOOTONE), so it's seeing the files OK. It says it added 260 additional styles.

This means that the styles are being added to the StylePicker as User styles, which means they don't exist in the installed styles database. What is the date of the file F:\bb\Data\factory_stylz1.bin on your system?

Delete that file and F:\bb\Data\stylz1.bin (or move the two files somewhere else), and then install the build 923 update or Xtra Styles PAK 13 again.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
> The 67 moved; the 871 did not, meaning they're duplicates or older than the files on F:

Gordon,
Simply copying the styles from one styles folder to another isn’t the same as installing the xtra 13 styles disk. As Andrew suggested, “ install the build 923 update or Xtra Styles PAK 13 again.” Making sure that you specify f:\bb as your BiaB folder. Then it should work fine.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
> The 67 moved; the 871 did not, meaning they're duplicates or older than the files on F:

Gordon,
Simply copying the styles from one styles folder to another isn’t the same as installing the xtra 13 styles disk. As Andrew suggested, “ install the build 923 update or Xtra Styles PAK 13 again.” Making sure that you specify f:\bb as your BiaB folder. Then it should work fine.

Sorry Peter, maybe I wasn't clear. I did install the 923 update, I did install Xtra Styles 13 again, and to the f:/bb/Styles folder, I did a slow Styles rebuild. I still see no set 13 and I still see _UNITY and others as in Set 12.

Would it make sense to delete any of the generated files in bb/Data, e.g. styles1.bin or whatever.

I'll try to look again at this tomorrow. Out of time this evening.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Gordon,
Since you moved over the xtra 13 styles manually, they would have been identified as user styles. So that’s what you’re seeing. All the xtra 13 styles are there, they are just there as user styles. You could 1. Quit BiaB 2. Erase bb\data\user_stylz1.bin 3. Reboot the program and do a rebuild. 4. Make sure the build says 923 or higher in help-about.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
There's some confusion here. I didn't move them manually, I installed them to F:/bb using "xtra_styles_pak_13.exe", originally on build 922, before updating to build 923.

I did move a few other style files I found from the original C:/bb/Styles installation to F:/bb/Styles. I think they won't be relevant to the PAK13 issue, but your instructions will likely register them in the right place.

However, as I have the same drive mapped as F: on both OSs on one computer, that might mean that at least one of those installations has seen the files "just appear"(*), which may be the root of the issue. I did see mention of user styles "code 2" (?) in the StylePicker, which supports your suspicion.

(*) I don't see why it should, as the .bin files are on the same drive, but both installs see new files and request a Rebuild, so there's something in the installation that knows things have changed.

Something else I notice that might be a clue, is that every time I do the rebuild is says it's added 246 (IIRC) new styles, but the total number of styles remains the same (or similar) at around 9394 (current number).

OK, the actions you suggest are complete and there remains no PAK 13 in the StylePicker list and style _UNITY remains as in PAK 12.

My suspicion is that, if I needed build 923, then build 922 perhaps rebuilt the styles database wrongly and build 923 won't change what already exists.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 06/23/22 12:27 AM. Reason: clarification.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Switched to Win10, ran BiaB (build 923), StylePicker, 9394 items in list, rebuild requested, did slow rebuild, "246 styles added". StylePicker still says 9394 items found. Still not set 13, _UNITY shows as PAK 12.

Closed BiaB; went to F:/bb/Data, renamed stylz1.bin to stylz1.bin.bk. Ran BiaB build 923, StylePicker (code 4 warning), did a slow rebuild. (I omitted to the # items before the rebuild .. partway through it's reporting 9794. Message pop-up says 46 additional styles added, total styles is 9394. Now reports 9394 items in list. ?

Ah ... Now I have Xtra PAK 13 and _UNITY shows at in Xtra PAK 13.
Checked in F:/bb/Data and a new stylz1.bin file is31,650 KB compared to my stylz1.bin.bk of 30,650 KB

It looks like my feeling may have been right.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Back to BiaB build 923 under Wine, StylePicker shows 9394 items and a rebuild request (code 7).
_UNITY presently shows as a User set #.
Slow rebuild reports 46 new styles and 10,xxx styles(?), but the pop-up says 9394 again.

_UNITY is now reported as Xtra PAK 13.
"Other" filter set to "Xtra Set 13" now shows Xtra PAK 13" and 200 items in list.

I think for me this is resolved:

Update BiaB to build 923
Delete /bb/Data/stylz1.bin and perhaps User_stylz1.bin
Run Biab; StylePicker; Rebuild.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
There are still some odd things going on here.

To minimise anything untoward from the Wine setup, I changed to Win10 only for a while.

I'd managed to select a style %acdjz2x from Norton Music as the style-in-use, but it had no long description, just the filename and it was in the Set# User. Filtering Norton styles, this was the only one in Set# User, which seemed very odd. I tried several things ... selecting a different Norton style, deleting again stylz1.bin and User_stylz1.bin and rebuilding, and I did those things several times. The outcome wasn't consistent, other than it reporting after every slow build that it had added 45 or 46 additionals styles. I say "45 or 46", because the number reported varied, as also did the number of styles reported 9293 or 9294 respectively.

In addition to those behaviours, I noticed that the Set# in which some of the Norton files appeared changed ... %acdjz2x sometimes appeariung in (IIRC) "16 MIDI", sometimes in User. ##No_Sty appeared in Set# User, where it hadn't been before. The numbers of files matching "Norton" or Set# User seems to vary from Build to Build, as does whether or not the long description appears. All rather a puzzle.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,393
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.