Page 1 of 2 1 2
#721486 06/19/22 03:48 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Until recently, I was running BIAB 2021 from an external 1TB hard drive hooked to my laptop but it crashed and I had to reload everything. I decided to go ahead and just load the whole thing on to the internal HD which I did and it works just fine.....but....it took up almost the entire drive - I only have about 3GB left for other things. I mostly use this machine for music but would like to have a little more extra storage for other things. There are many features of BIAB that I just don't use and really have little interest in beyond being able to produce backing tracks for live performance (no offense). Can I get rid of tutorials, ear training, jazz guitar tunes, etc. without messing up the operation of the program and will it get me more space? I've got Reaper, Audacity, Real Band and BIAB on this HD and it's pretty full. I do have another 2TB external drive but would like to keep it for just storage. Tnx

Veteran
Veteran
I think the answer is Yes. But have you considered a second internal HD in your desktop? I have three internal HDs and room to add a fourth. And I have a external HD for backups. The external is on a USB 3.1 which provides high speed transfer. This machine is circa 2017 so it was bought for expandibility.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (20.34 KB, 203 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #721491 06/19/22 05:38 AM
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I think the answer is Yes. But have you considered a second internal HD in your desktop? I have three internal HDs and room to add a fourth. And I have a external HD for backups. The external is on a USB 3.1 which provides high speed transfer. This machine is circa 2017 so it was bought for expandibility.

I've got plenty of room on the desk top (about 5 HDs). The problem I have is with the laptop.

Veteran
Veteran
I believe if you'll find the extra applications, like ear training, actually don't take up much storage space so deleting them won't give you much additional space. You'll expend a lot of effort for not much gain.

Does your laptop have an internal SD card reader? I didn't find out this one does until after I used it for a year or longer. If so then you can install the largest SD card the computer can handle to use for additional storage.

Another thought is to use a USB drive. +++ HERE +++ is another thread where the poster is essentially asking the same question.

RealTrack and RealDrum folders use the most storage space so they are what I'd concentrate on moving to external storage.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran

[/quote] I've got plenty of room on the desk top (about 5 HDs). The problem I have is with the laptop. [/quote]

Opps, my bad.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
If possible I would replace your internal drive with a new 2TB SSD.

PS - I don't know about your finances hence the if possible.

Good luck

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes, I would replace the internal with a bigger SSD. The little extra things in Biab folder won't change the free space much.
If you have a DVD drive in the laptop you can swap it for a SSD HDD caddy to give an extra hard drive.

Veteran
Veteran
I’m sure you know this, but whatever you do for your laptop, you need to keep roughly 15% free space for a hard drive. Some experts report it should even be a little higher percentage for an SSD.

BIAB works perfectly fine with the RealTracks and RealDrums on an external USB drive.

John Ford and I discussed the need for some sort of guide about where everything is stored, including what can be moved or deleted. If I get some free time I’ll write one.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Matt.

Ive been on a quest for some time now for a suitable new more flexible beast of a pc to run my recording rig.
hopefully some folks in the market for a new or upgrade of pc will find the following of interest.

I just took more days from my love for writing songs and away from these forums in the quest, and this week talked to even more retailers of pc tech. sigh.

The basic issue for moi is laptops lack internal expandability (unless i plop for a laptop from a custom builder of laptops for recording studios….but outside my budget…)...eg…this laptop allows 4 drives i believe.

https://www.adkproaudio.com/adk-regulus-gx30

otoh desktops have the internal expandability ie can stuff multiple m2nvme and older ssd’s in them..a need of mine…but lose portability.

It shows retailers lack of understanding of needs of recording studios when they say ‘you need 3 ssd’s in a laptop !! huh ?’ until one explains.

A typical reply i get is sorry ‘mate’ we only sell one drive laptops.
Pipelines brilliant dvd replacement idea is one solution for a second drive.
But i want 3.

Otoh ya gotta be careful with new desktops …sigh and ensure one has the right pcie version and number of ‘lanes’ to support the latest m2/nvme ssd tech.
Yes the new tech m2’s will work in older pcie 3,...but it looks like at decreased data rates.
There is another ‘wrinkle’ as it were… in that if one wants to use m2/nvme with more lanes one needs to use a 11th generation or above processor...which has the 'more lanes' support i understand.

HOWEVER , now i’m reading articles saying the new processors consume more power…sigh.

As i like refurbs cos of cost savings i think the only solution for a beast of a recording system is to stuff multiple ssd’s // m2’s via pcie adaptor into a off lease hpz workstation (or dell or lenovo equivalent) for a total cost of 800 buckies. And eat the small performance hit of older pcie 3 rather than pice 4 or above, as well as the portability.

I’m laptop currently , and its been a v good beast of a i5 refurb with even an external sata port, (and ive done 90 songs with it using reaper/biab/realband combo)...but still i need more flexibility than it offers.

To anyone considering a one drive cheap laptop i would suggest caution cos it might not meet ones future needs.
you might rapidly outgrow it.
as one will see if one peruses many pro audio user forums.

peace out.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/19/22 01:56 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
The basic issue for moi is laptops lack internal expandability

FWIW, I'm planning a short or ultra-short 2U rackmount chassis.

For me it'll go into my existing ready-for-the-road Gator flightcase setup, but the same could go into a 2U flight case. A 1U is feasible, but less flexible and more noisy. Increasing the flightcase to 4U would allow plenty of space inside to package screen, keyboard, mouse into a comfortably portable unit. My screen (touch-screen) is actually bigger than the rack, but stores glass side to a ply board, for protection, on the case top.

This definitely wouldn't suit everyone, but it may give food for thought.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Gordon.

Yep rack mounts are grreat like ive seen in big studios.
These start at 1600 bucks.
I would like one but cant justify the expense for the crazy songs i do…got othr responsibilities like i just had to service our car, then the dryer went on the blink. Just as i get ready to buy something , i got something else…lol.

https://silentpc.com/daw/

https://www.carillonac1.com/daw-computers/music-pc-rack-case/
Second one above prices are in quids.

What ive realised is that a lot of people buying a new vanilla pc for music production might not realise , if they want to expand the desktop tower later how important the ‘lanes support’ at the processor level is…
Eg needing added m2nvme drives and/or other devices later on.

Here is an interesting table of lanes support with some processors.
Just google ‘processor lanes support’ and there is lots of info….and its rather important when considering any new system and the needs of m2nvme ssd etc, and of course pice version implemented in any new system.

This stuff aint trivial if one wants a serious flexible music production pc that will grow with one as ones needs change.
https://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/what-are-pcie-lanes-why-do-they-matter/

Give my regards to england gordon. Sometimes i miss good old ‘blighty’ lol.

Happiness.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/22/22 02:43 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
I would like one but cant justify the expense for the crazy songs i do…got othr responsibilities like i just had to service our car, then the dryer went on the blink. Just as i get ready to buy something , i got something else…lol.
om

Om, I can hear Eddy Arnold singing "Welcome to My world" because your "life gets in the way of my music" is exactly like mine! Its a bummer ain't it!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Gordon.

I would like one but cant justify the expense for the crazy songs i do…

Most of the high-price rackmounts are servers with multiple disc caddies, dual supplies and so on. It's quite feasible to get a reasonably(!) priced rackmount, though I'll agree they're not cheap as such.

There's a pre-built example here in the UK, which isn't bad value and is designed for quiet: https://g2digital.co.uk/products/rack-pc/2u-nano/

I'll probably build my own, though not definitely.

I offer it merely as a thought, rather than "you should do this".

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mario.

Its like my dad used to say, lol…’one puts the ends together…then something comes along to pull them apart again.’. My saying is ‘ya just keep rocking no matter what’. I’m just glad i can still enjoy music.
keep rocking mario. You got a ton of talent mate.

Gordon.

Would be interested to know how many m2/nvme ssd drives and the config your considering.
Ive found its like pulling hens teeth to find out often on the normal retail pc;s..
what pcie version they are running. Whether pcie 3 or 4 or 5 etc.

Its kinda important cos i understand m2/nvme will downgrade speed wise on lower versions of pcie. Apparently they/some ? will still work but not at their optimum spec.
For my new pc i’m going all m2 … 3 m2 will keep me happy. one for win , one for recording//playback and one for sample libs.

Now i understand pcie 6 spec is out. As of early 2022.

https://pcisig.com/pci-express-6.0-specification

WOW THATS SPEEDY.

The thirst for speed….lol. Now heres the 64000 quid question …

Are we reaching the point when raw ssd speed and pcie throughput are more important than the processor spec ?
ie can we get away with say a next generation i3 or i5 more affordable processor but supported say with pcie 5 or 6 ? what are the ramifications for daw use on a daily basis ??

Have we reached the point whereby the budget processors under 200 bucks are sufficient if used with high spec throughput pcie 5/6 and assuming m2/nvme ?

Best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/22/22 03:07 PM.

Expert
Expert
Gordon.

Would be interested to know how many m2/nvme ssd drives and the config your considering.
Ive found its like pulling hens teeth to find out often on the normal retail pc;s..
what pcie version they are running. Whether pcie 3 or 4 or 5 etc.

I'll likely have two, mostly for capacity rather than speed.

The problem with an awful lot of pre-built PCs is that the sales people really don't know some of these details. There are a couple of reasons for that:

1) Often they don't really know what the question really means.

2) Often, even when they do know what it means, they're unable or unwilling to say because the company reserves the right to change the motherboard for a different one without warning. "Policy of continuous improvement", which could cover performance, costs, or supply issues.

The reason I tend to end up building my own, is that I can make my own choices of tradeoffs, I'm not reliant of the vagaries of the vendors. The other alternative is to ask a builder you trust to specify & build a machine to your requirements. That isn't necessarily more expensive than off-the-shelf, because you probably don't need, for example, a huge, ultra-fast and shockingly expensive gaming graphics card, which most will put into their higher-end machines.

Expert
Expert
My contribution to the discussion. M2s are generally far faster than SSDs, both are faster than HHD's which are now redundant except for bulk storage. If your laptop has a HHD probably the laptop is old. You can upgrade it,(check to make sure its got a port for SSD plug first) but I would wonder if it's time for a new laptop or even a dedicated music PC. Over the COVID and Chip crisis laptops don't seem to have kept up with desktops IMO.
If I were to buy a laptop for music I would be looking for 1TB m2 and 32 gb of ram minimum. That would be a bear minimum - I don't think most laptops would pass this test. M2 prices have dropped, they generally outclass all SSDs, but you do need a slot for them on the motherboard (or an expansion card), and as with SSDs the "maximum" speed depends on the PCI lanes of the motherboard. I have PCI 3 here on my mobo/PC, but even that is old tech. SSD generally run at about 550 MBps, M2's run at anything from 2000- 7500, with most running at around 3500.

Sounds like your into using music apps. Advice for BIAB is one thing, advice for a general music machine is another. If you intent to make use of a lot of MIDI VST sample work in your sequencer, then more RAM is better.

Last edited by ZeroZero; 06/23/22 01:25 AM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Gordon.

I would like one but cant justify the expense for the crazy songs i do…

Most of the high-price rackmounts are servers with multiple disc caddies, dual supplies and so on. It's quite feasible to get a reasonably(!) priced rackmount, though I'll agree they're not cheap as such.

There's a pre-built example here in the UK, which isn't bad value and is designed for quiet: https://g2digital.co.uk/products/rack-pc/2u-nano/

I'll probably build my own, though not definitely.

I offer it merely as a thought, rather than "you should do this".

An idea rather than using a rack case is to use an HTPC ITX case. I did that with my current gaming desktop, and using a Fractal Node 202 case it's about 1mm slimmer than 2 rack units, and I can fit a full-size video card, 2x 2.5in SSD's/HDD's, and the motherboard has two M.2 slots. For a studio rack this can sit on a shelf or on top of another piece of gear. The only trick is making everything fit in an 82mm chassis.

I work here
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
An idea rather than using a rack case is to use an HTPC ITX case.

Agree, provided one doesn't want very high performance, though it's surprising just how much performance one can get.

I have two mini-ITX PCs here, one fanless and virtually silent, and one almost fanless. The former is my fileserver with an Atom CPU at 1.9GHz and has a few TB on one conventional hard drive, the an i686 at 1.7GHz with similar storage lives in an outbuilding and is my automated backup PC.

As one raises the performance, though, one raises the fan noise.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
An idea rather than using a rack case is to use an HTPC ITX case.

Agree, provided one doesn't want very high performance, though it's surprising just how much performance one can get.

I have two mini-ITX PCs here, one fanless and virtually silent, and one almost fanless. The former is my fileserver with an Atom CPU at 1.9GHz and has a few TB on one conventional hard drive, the an i686 at 1.7GHz with similar storage lives in an outbuilding and is my automated backup PC.

As one raises the performance, though, one raises the fan noise.

Certainly, but you can cram a lot of performance into an ITX machine these days. This one has a 6-core i5-11400 CPU, 32gb of ram (could do 64gb), a GTX 1060 6b video card, and a 2tb NVMe SSD. Fan noise is pretty minimal. This case came with a 450w PSU as well.

I work here
Expert
Expert
Certainly, but you can cram a lot of performance into an ITX machine these days.

Aye ... BTW I forgot to mention that both of those ITX machines of mine are around a decade old now.

Series 11 i5s seem to be a fairly common ITX engine now. There are even some 12th gens. ITX boards tend to use the laptop CPUs for efficiency, which certainly helps wrt fan noise. There are some ITX cases around that have aluminium fins and heat-pipes to allow fanless operation for around the 65W TDP CPUs. That includes a number of 12th gen parts and AMD parts, though most(?) 12th gens appear to need throttling back to stay within the 65W.

ITX can give pretty impressive performance for modest cost, size and energy.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,350
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182