Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
AudioTrack #722923 07/03/22 05:49 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, I replied above. I downloaded and ran CCleaner. I switched to all three drivers. I did check the task manager, BIAB was the only thing running, other than system normal stuff and I had 75+% CPU free.

If you look at the very top of the BIAB window, there is a line up there. Unfortunately, I can't show you an image of it, but it's directly above the menu line. When you press Play or Generate and Play, that line will show you the parts that are being generated and a percentage of the generation that's complete. The song should start just as all the parts have been generated. Mine starts the song, but then that line starts to show that all the parts are being regenerated and the song stops, or stutters, while it is trying to regenerate the parts.

For some reason, it's been better than afternoon. I don't know why, I can actually play almost complete songs now, whereas before I was getting stopping and stuttering as soon as the first or second bar. This morning, before it got 'better' I had shut down a whole bunch of stuff that start on start up, and none of it made any difference. I shut the computer off and went out and when I came back, it seemed to be working better, but it still exhibits this behavior.

I don't know why. My device drivers are up to date (thank you for the suggestion for CCleaner, I may have to buy that), but the problems still happen.

I've left a message for support, they probably will get back to me, and I'll see where we go from there.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Gary Curran #722934 07/03/22 10:15 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Gary,

It's good to see you! I had a quick scan through the above posts and didn't see any answers to the following questions.

Do you have sufficient space on your computer's hard drive? Also, have you stopped any anti-virus software from checking \bb and it's sub-directories?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Gary Curran #722942 07/04/22 01:20 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Mine starts the song, but then that line starts to show that all the parts are being regenerated and the song stops, or stutters, while it is trying to regenerate the parts.

1:
I now understand that you are looking at the Top Form Caption and that you see it start generating again after you have previously placed a check-mark in that check box and pressed OK and then selected the Generate and Play button.

2:
if that box is checked, this additional generation does not happen on my system.

3:
Can you comment also that you don't have any frozen tracks? I'm not sure if this is related.

4:
If you save, then select File > New to start a new song, and then select Song Settings, does that box show as unchecked?

5: And then if you reopen the original previously saved song, and then select Song Settings, is that box still checked - without you having to re-check it again?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2022-07-04_21-12-28.jpg (88.76 KB, 196 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #722949 07/04/22 02:22 AM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Gary.

Please humour me.

Firstly i’m well aware of your long standing and contributions on these forums.
Cos i started on powertraks many many moons ago, lol.

Its all a question of a process of elimination.
If you could humour moi and post back your settings for sampling rate and bit depth settings in cake (that works) and win as i requested before , this might
Help in elimination of possibles.

One possible re stuttering is sometimes its drivers.
To eliminate this possibility if were me i would rent a usb audio interface for a few days eg behringer uphoria , and IF this works flawlessly then this suggests to moi the issue is with your current selected sound device.

This happened to me once. I was using a pci basic sound device , and once i replaced it with a usb device..probs gone.
Maybe i’m wrong but there are many possible reasons for stuttering.

ymmv/best
om

ps gary i just checked on the net. there are various user comments re stuttering re your chosen sound device.
whether these apply to your situation dunno.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 07/04/22 02:43 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OM, this may take a couple of days tom complete. I have an Edirol USB audio interface I can use. Not a good one.

My Audio is set for 44.1/24. It's set that way across all my applications. This problem has occurred with two different sound cards, the previous CMedia 8828, and the Creative Labs card. However, I don't see where this makes any difference in the actual regeneration of the backing tracks, either audio or MIDI, after the song starts.

All other applications that I have used outside of Band in a Box, including Cakewalk, work correctly with no stuttering. If there was something wrong with the audio card or drivers, then why isn't it happening outside of BIAB in other applications.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
AudioTrack #722959 07/04/22 03:46 AM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've created a new song, and in the Song Settings dialog that is not checked, and last night there was severe interruptions to the song, but this morning, none, even unchecked.

Do you know if there is a global setting for that switch? I'll check with Support if I hear back from them, but I don't recall if there is not or not.

None of the tracks are frozen.

Anyway, that one box, checked or unchecked, this morning, doesn't seem to make a difference. I'll post if I have some new information

Thank you for your help.

Gary

Gary Curran #722960 07/04/22 03:54 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Anyway, that one box, checked or unchecked, this morning, doesn't seem to make a difference. I'll post if I have some new information

Doesn't seem to make difference to what?

Do you see the track being regenerated on the Form Caption like you mentioned if the check box is checked
or
Do you still hear stuttering?

Exactly that is the difference you mention?

Hopefully, PG Music Support can help you to resolve.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #722965 07/04/22 04:42 AM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Gary.

Believe me when i say i respect your presence on pg over the years.

I’m just trying to help via my own experiences over the years//problems running recording rigs.

The reason i asked bout 44.1/16 is from past posts here it seems some recording rigs have probs when 48khz is chosen as sampling rate.
I would try 44.1/16 across all apps and see if any difference.
I personally have no ‘stuttering’ probs.

As your prolly aware to keep it brief most music apps use the technique of ‘filling audio buffers’ before needed. Ie ‘look ahead’.
Your prolly aware , but i’ll mention anyway….for other folks reading these forums new to bb…IF (from my experiences also in programming)...there is a problem filling the look ahead buffers , then stutters can occur.
Its sorta like a car that ‘coughs’ if its not getting needed fuel.

You said ‘All other applications that I have used outside of Band in a Box, including Cakewalk, work correctly with no stuttering. If there was something wrong with the audio card or drivers, then why isn't it happening outside of BIAB in other applications.’

With greatest respect Ive found from many personal experiences with sound devices over the years one cant assume such.

Another question….
Do you get the ‘stuttering’ when ONLY bb is running and all other music apps are closed ?
in addition have you run a latency monitor app ?

i'm just suggesting ideas to think about.
as i said before it would help pg support prolly if you posted a pic of your bb settings...thus if ok..its something else off the possible problem source checklist.

Happiness//best.
om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Gary Curran #722992 07/04/22 07:39 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Gary,

Nice to see you back here. What is your default VSTi/DXi synth - is it Coyote or something else? Do you have a file AsstSettings.ini in your main bb folder - if so, remove it...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Andrew,
Nice to see you again. I hope all is well with your. Happy belated Canada Day.

I am not using DXi/VSTi synth, but the one selected is Cakewalk TTS

I do not see the asstsettings.ini file in my main BB folder

The problem that I'm having with this issue is that not only does it apply the RealTracks, but also MIDI tracks, or songs with a combination of MIDI and Real Drums. I am sure that it is not an audio issue, although it appears to be manifested that way because the playback/audio stops when the tracks try to regenerate. Jerry sent me an e-mail, and when I replied, I told him that I had one song went like 12-15 bars into the song, just fine, and then started to regenerate the tracks. You can not hit the stop button because it's in the process of regenerating the tracks, but eventually it will try to continue to play. But, moments later, when I tried playing that song again, it was doing the regen two bars into the song. So, there is no 'rhyme or reason' for the way this is behaving that I can point to and say 'When it reaches bar 9, it ALWAYS does this, because it doesn't.

It is infuriating, to say the least.

EDIT. I applied the RealTracks Slow Generation button Jerry selected. It was wonderful, right up to the 42 bar of the song when that very top line starting saying 'Generating Accompaniment' and the playback stopped and started and stopped and started.

I've already lost a lot of my hair, I can't afford to have this issue, I don't want to be bald! LOL :D:D:D

Gary

AudioTrack #723001 07/04/22 08:36 AM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Quote:

Doesn't seem to make difference to what?

You asked about the slow generation in the Song Settings. Checking or unchecking that box does not resolve the issue of the tracks regenerating once the song starts. But, the issue is that it doesn't follow any one particular pattern, so I can't say categorically that 'if I press play on this (or any) song, it will start to regenerate the backing tracks at bar 2'

[quote]Do you see the track being regenerated on the Form Caption like you mentioned if the check box is checked
or
Do you still hear stuttering?

Yes, that is what I was trying to convey. I see that line will finish displaying all of the instrument parts being generated, the song will start, but then, regardless of the status of the Slow Generation switch, it may, or may not, have issues. This is why this is so confusing. The problem, for lack of a better description, is playing 'hide and seek' and it does not always manifest itself

[quote]Exactly that is the difference you mention?

Hopefully, PG Music Support can help you to resolve.

Not sure what I said, but it sometimes will do this, other times will not. It also does the same thing for MIDI-only tracks where no RealTracks, including RealDrum tracks, are involved.

Gary

Gary Curran #723005 07/04/22 09:40 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome back Gary, I have a 12 year old pc myself with 12 GB Ram and biab 22 seems to run fine on it.

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if it was mentioned before,

1 Exclude the bb folder from any anti-virus scan.
2 disable as many windows startup programs as possible in Task manager.
3 Try either rolling back the video driver or updating it, think that download installs a sound driver as well.
4 Try Asio4all and mess around with settings buffer size etc.

Hope you get it working asap Gary, good to see you.

smile

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
musiclover #723035 07/04/22 02:33 PM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I ran CCleaner as suggested earlier, and it did update a few drivers, but the Creative Labs driver is the latest off of their site. Not a whole lot on this computer that's running at any particular time. With BIAB running, 'normally', I'm getting 75%+ of available resources, so I don't think it's a processor unit. it's not the A/V program, I've tried that. So, I have no clue as to what it might be.

I probably should just get a new computer, but right now, money is ultra-tight and I don't have the money to do that.

Gary

Gary Curran #723063 07/05/22 03:07 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Gary, I am really grasping at straws here as this problem only is happening with BiaB but have you tried the following:

1-run a memory test:
https://www.lifewire.com/free-memory-test-programs-2626178

2-Have you tried the registry part of cCleaner? Note some people say
never use a registry cleaner but I have had no issues with cCleaner. cCleaner will ask if you want to make a registry backup prior to making any registry changes and I always do make a backup.

3-Run a thorough virus scan as follows:
a-run cCleaner
b-run rkill https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
c-run ADWcleaner https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner
d-run your anti-virus
e-run your anti-malwarebytes

Note all of the above are free.

4-have you had your power supply checked

I say these may clear up your problem IF BiaB is actually addressing something that causes a regeneration that no other program activates in the identical way.

I know these are far out suggestions, especially the power supply one, but this is the only things I can think of that may cause your problem.

I hope this helps and good luck.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #723187 07/06/22 04:26 AM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario,
I was able to capture a video yesterday of the problem. Song started out playing just fine, waited until the 27th bar to start glitching. Caught it on camera and sent it to PG Music. I'll see what they say.

However, having said that, I will run the memory test and the registry cleaner in CClean. Power supply is fairly new, a Seasonic, which I really trust, and 850 watts, so more than enough power to run the system.

It may very well be that I need a new computer, though. There may be issues on the motherboard or CPU that is causing the problems. Currently, I just don't have the money to get one. I'll run those tests tonight and see what I come up with.

Gary

Gary Curran #723195 07/06/22 07:28 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Gary, I would think that if you had issues with the motherboard or CPU you would have issues with all of your software.

PS - I feel your pain as I need to purchase new computers if/when I have to go to Win 11 and money is real tight right now. Plus the short term future isn't looking very good right now either.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Gary Curran #723196 07/06/22 07:42 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Gary Curran
this computer has had 2018, 2021 and now 2022 on it

Can you reproduce the problem with 2021?
Or is it only happening with 2022?

Can you go to Help > About, and click on CPU Specifications and tell us what it says (or provide a screen shot)?

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Gary Curran #723203 07/06/22 08:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran
One thing I have noticed, and I’ve come to change my mind over time about it, is the concept that BIAB should work well if your other audio software works well. I don’t think that’s true now. A comment from a PG Music staffer led me to realize that BIAB has a great deal going on that stresses a computer more than a DAW. Somewhere around the time more tracks were made available, I began to realize this. The CPU is the key for regenerating tracks. A DAW, on the other hand, can run out of memory with too many tracks and effects, but you can solve that by rendering tracks to audio.

Just a thought.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #723209 07/06/22 09:18 AM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Gary.

Ive got time from my many family commitments..sigh… today…so what the hey i’m gonna go out on a limb , and maybe i’ll get ‘egg on my face’..lol…but ive set up many recording rigs over the years also for friends.

You said you have an edirol audio interface…model no ?
Is it UE-1EX…like this one ?...

https://www.roland.com/ca/products/ua-1ex/
Or fancier ?

If the edirol works with bb, even tho’ you dont like it as you mentioned , then i feel the stuttering is down to choice of sound device.
As i said before i googled on your current sound device your using,..
And found stuttering reported by some. On one thread it mentioned it might be a bios issueif i remember.

Irrespective, i also looked up your processor , while not the fastest around it has a passmark of above 5000. Ive run bb on such.
(ps.. Preferably for daw work i recommend passmark of over 15000 and single thread of over 3000. cpubenchmark.net is very useful for checking various processors and eg stats on integer math and other processing stats. usefull if you choose a new pc.)

What i would do, as i said before is rent a behringer euphoria for a week...
Should cost hardly anything in your area from a reputable store, and see if stuttering disappears. If it DOES then you might considering using a different sound device than the one your useing.

There is a list of sound devices devices that work well with pg products in the realband forum, and if you need a multi client device see a thread i started in the tips n’ tricks area.

Hope you get it sorted mate.
om

Gary Curran #723220 07/06/22 10:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I had an inexpensive sound card in there with digital S/PDIF Optical in and out. That card was giving me other troubles, so I just put a Creative Labs Z SE card in there. There is no change in the stuttering.

I have tried MME, ASIO and WAS and all three exhibit the same issue. I'm going to assume that it is not the audio card, although I won't rule it out completely.

I have an Edirol USB audio interface I can use. Not a good one.

I grabbed these from 3 posts of yours on this thread. Sounds like you have at least 2 if not 3 cards. I don't know the model numbers (and drivers they use) of any of them because you didn't reveal that info. That could be helpful. You said you replaced an inexpensive card with a creative card. You might have simply replaced one card that can't handle it with another card that can't handle it and doing that didn't resolve the problem. Kinda like replacing a bad spark plug with another bad spark plug in an engine. It's still not going to work right.

So... years ago, I was pretty active in the Cakewalk forums and helped quite a few new folks get started. If there's one fact that I know.... You gotta have a GOOD, SOLID, NATIVE ASIO running, interface. One of the big things we came up against was Sound blasters, Lab something or other, and Creative cards (oh yeah and UNO midi cables and lets not forget USB condenser mics... but I digress) and people trying to use them and having issues. Trying to run them with ASIO (didn't work cause the card couldn't handle it) or MME, or ASIO4ALL, again, a fail.... I know you say your CW works well and has no issues. you have 2 computers and this issue is with the desktop machine. the laptop is working.

If there's any way you can get your hands on something like a Focusrite Scarlett or something from Presonus.... load ASIO and try that, I'd be curious to know how that works. Borrow one from a friend locally if that's possible. Having a known good interface and solid ASIO drivers will eliminate that as the cause. I know what it's like trying to run a DAW machine with old gear that barely plays mp3 files.... Been there.

What has me puzzled about this as I kept skimming your thread was you mentioned that after you hit PLAYBACK it starts and then randomly starts regenerating the tracks in differing places in the song and that's when the stuttering starts. That right there is really bizarre. That makes me think its a corrupted file in BB. But then again.... if you are running on your laptop and it runs fine and it's the same exact BB and build.... it's gotta be something in the machine itself or the interface/driver. Gotta be.

It's difficult enough to troubleshoot a single problem but if you have two things messing you up that is exponentially harder to resolve. But I think it's just one thing and when you find it you'll be running smooth.

Anyway.... good luck. I'm sure you will eventually get it sorted out. When you do can you please let us know what was causing this? Thanks.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 07/06/22 10:05 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,349
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182