Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Touching lyrics, maybe quite common situation and you have expressed that feeling really convincingly. Emotional heartbreaking vocal delivery, this song doesn't need another singer. Nice mellow band and good work with the sax, the slow down is very creative choice.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome tune Marty. I think your vocal was perfect for the tune. Excellent lyric and loved the backtrack. Loved the sax.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like it! laugh

Nothing jumps out needing improvement, except perhaps boosting the vocal a hair (but that could be my old ears). I don't see anyone else mentioning the volume of the vocal, so it's probably just my old ears.

No issue with the vocalist at all - your voice sounds fine here.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty...absolutely top-shelf...Wow! that slow down with the solo is amazing...I bet that did take a while...It's hard (as great as the BiaB tracks are) to pinpoint the right phrases and puzzle them together to form a particular solo for a particular piece of music...but you nailed it!! I think I like the texture of your vocal best...your softer delivery on this song at the beginning was really effective...you are a master at forming great BaiB tracks...and again...love the video!

Thanks, Dan. I learned somewhere on this forum that the best way to slow down like that is to half the measures. So I changed to 2/4 and gradually reduced the tempo each measure. Then brought it back in a little less than the original tempo to give it more of a human feel.

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Who is this guy with the coyote skin hat banging out great song after great song???

Somebody give this guy a record deal !

Great job . . .

Hi, Steve. Thanks. I'm happy to be too old to promote cuz now I can do the music I want. Oh, and my hat is completely plant-based. wink

Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Fantastic Marty! Really, really good. I thought your vocals really stand out. Good write, good production - just a good job all the way around. I can't really think of a way to improve it. You might try some background vocals, but that would probably just make it different, not necessarily better. That slow down sounds really tricky - good stuff!

Thanks so much, Brad. I tried some BGVs, but you're right, it wasn't an improvement. That slow down part is explained above to Firesong.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Marty,

As always, when offered audio only or video I know what to choose: the video!

"A strong attraction in a platonic relationship"....Hmm,.. I came across a couple of those in my days.

The very first thing that struck me was that this is your best vocal to date IMHO.

The emotion in the song is compelling and the composition is really good. You've also managed to get the saxophone solo entirely right (I know just how it is to regenerate soloist RTs multiple times until you get it just the way you want it!)

Very enjoyable video as well.

Rob

Hi Rob. Yeah, both ends of a platonic relationship where one wants to raise the stakes can be uncomfortable. Thanks so much for all your kind words of encouragement.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marty really great song love it very well done my friend thanks for sharing Eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Marty
WOW this is a real hit
Sounds cool
Great sung
And the sax solo fits perfectly
Really good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Marty,
Beautiful (platonic) love tune. You know your bass smile Vocals A+. Sax is VERY consistent to my ears. Love what you did at 2:50, very cool shift. Listens very well. Neat Vid too. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I tried to come up with with constructive suggestion, so I listened to it several times on different sets of headphones. Neutral AKG's (my studio headphones) and consumer pair (which has enhanced bass, as most of them do). While tune sounded great on a neutral pair, the consumer set was a bit too bass rich. Also, your vocals are great, but I think a bit dry, given overall composition. A little reverb?

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Marty ...

Man, I really like this! Uh - no better singer needed - this guy is doing a stand-out job.

Been there - done that. Sure is frustrating! But in the end, I'm happy all has turned out the way it did! Nice work on the tempo change and sax. I don't think you need to change a thing - it's just fine as is.
h
Alan

Thanks so much, Al. Your opinion is important to me.

Originally Posted By: rayc
A song that is written by Marty, sung by Marty & has bass by Marty has a head start in life.
This one kept its pace and stayed out front for the win.
You def picked the right processing for the vocal mate.
I like the slow down/false ending...in fact I'd have added a beat or two of silence to exaggerate it but that's just me.
Lovely stuff.

HAHA. Wish I could say that about my kids. And yeah, that's a great idea to add silence. Really accent the pause just before the singer finally gives into his desire. Unfortunately I've already included it in my next album that has been sent off to be released on the 17th. That happens a lot. Never done with the mix. The most updated version is always on my website, but that's more for storage than promotion.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty

That was an excellent performance and a lovely song.

The sax worked well (I played along for fun). Nice ending and a top notch song.

Peter

Hello, Peter. So glad you like it. Man, I'd love to hear you playing along.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty, you have a great voice so don't knock it.

This is top shelf all the way
Great vocal
Super love song
Outstanding mix - nice slow down on the guitar lead - brilliant

Loved it
Hey, Mario. I'll stop knocking my voice. The thing is that I know how it sounds by itself. The trick is to surround it with good sounds, and it's a lot harder when I don't have Dave in my corner.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
A very nice love song, Marty. To risk ruining a friendship by professing stronger feelings...it's always a tough call. I don't think you need to look for a better singer.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I almost missed this one for some reason and I am really glad I didn't. Def one of your best. I have an affinity for the subject matter because it was basically the story of my early adult years. That aside, I loved the song itself, the terrific vocal, the sax and the great ending. Like I said, one of your best for sure.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Quote:
Where do I begin?

This song tells me you've already begun and, if it doesn't win her over, then maybe nothing will.

Instrument choice, arrangement, melody, lyrics, production - all top notch.:)

Thanks, Brian. Yes, I know a couple who started out as friends until one of them tried breaking the barrier. They just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That's a different take on the old love theme.

I'm sure it's a sentiment that has been felt by many but not so commonly expressed in a song. Excellent.

It's all there man, the already mentioned write, the melody, bass and vocals ... and of course the mix.

As others have mentioned the sax is great. I've spent time trying to comp up a sax solo but not with this result.

And, last but assuredly not least the video imagery was perfecto for the lyric.

Nice!

J&B

Thanks, Janice & Bud. Yeah, it seems I leaned on an old songwriter's crutch for this one: make it something everyone can relate to even if they pretend they can't. Man, I've learned so much from you, it's really cool to read your comments.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very pretty song Marty!!! Different for you....a mellow ballad, which you also sing very well!! I know what you mean about the saxes........some of them sound very different on different phrases. Sax is complicated......I think it is the most complex instrument to the human voice. Really cool song!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks so much, Greg. You mean a lot to me.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty,

Engaging tune with a rich vocal turn, hitting on the right notes of sadness and longing. Good write and stellar mix. Solos in BIAB are always a tricky thing—sometimes they work just great on the first stand . . . and other times you have to labor over them. I absolutely love how you slow down the tempo at the end of that solo—a brilliant touch!

Hope all is well in your world,

Deej

Thanks for noticing the emotions, Deej. Yes, there are many times when BiaB soloists work perfectly on the first go. Sometimes the key and the chord progression works perfectly, and other times not so much. But that's the same in real life. wink

Originally Posted By: musician17
In my humble opinion, your best so far. And that's even before the slowed down section, which - for me - takes it up a notch, even more. And the video is beautiful. You are a real sensitive musician, and - from our brief conversations between one song comment and another - a great human being. Both show in this song, and how. Bravo - keep going.

P.S. about the "better singer" comment ... it's true, neither of us are Freddie Mercury or anything. BUT: the emotion with which you sing is yours and yours alone. I've often thought of delegating singing duty to others, in my own songs, whenever there's a need for an actually sung melody. But: no. If I did that, the whole emotionally charged, authentic atmosphere would dissipate immediately, I feel. Same with you ... you sing and sing well, and comfortably well enough to communicate what you want, in the way you want it in. So ... please sing and don't worry :-) Thanks for sharing this with us :-)

Hello, James. Thanks so much, my friend. You mean a lot to me. Strange, huh? I sing along with almost all of your songs and I see another new one where I'm headed next.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Your vocal is good and it conveys the emotion of the lyrics well.

Your tag say "country" but it's not that. It's got a hint of 60s folk.

I enjoyed the song. Good lyrics and melody.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great song and a good job with it.

Platonic.... Another word for "No".

I enjoyed the song

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Marty:

Your attention to detail is obvious.

Nice work,good song.

Thanks for sharing

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Touching lyrics, maybe quite common situation and you have expressed that feeling really convincingly. Emotional heartbreaking vocal delivery, this song doesn't need another singer. Nice mellow band and good work with the sax, the slow down is very creative choice.

Janne

Thanks, Janne. I always appreciate you comments.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome tune Marty. I think your vocal was perfect for the tune. Excellent lyric and loved the backtrack. Loved the sax.

Thanks, Scott. Man, I totally appreciate the comments you give both here and elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I like it! laugh

Nothing jumps out needing improvement, except perhaps boosting the vocal a hair (but that could be my old ears). I don't see anyone else mentioning the volume of the vocal, so it's probably just my old ears.

No issue with the vocalist at all - your voice sounds fine here.

Thanks, David. Ha. I hear ya. My ears are older than yours.

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Marty really great song love it very well done my friend thanks for sharing Eric

Thanks, Eric. I really like your playing, man. Always so good to hear from you.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Marty
WOW this is a real hit
Sounds cool
Great sung
And the sax solo fits perfectly
Really good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi. Hey, Charley's gone back to school today. Talk soon.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
Beautiful (platonic) love tune. You know your bass smile Vocals A+. Sax is VERY consistent to my ears. Love what you did at 2:50, very cool shift. Listens very well. Neat Vid too. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I tried to come up with with constructive suggestion, so I listened to it several times on different sets of headphones. Neutral AKG's (my studio headphones) and consumer pair (which has enhanced bass, as most of them do). While tune sounded great on a neutral pair, the consumer set was a bit too bass rich. Also, your vocals are great, but I think a bit dry, given overall composition. A little reverb?

Thanks, Misha. Excellent suggestions. Of course, to me, "bass rich" has a good ring. wink

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

Leon1 #730847 09/08/22 01:59 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
A very nice love song, Marty. To risk ruining a friendship by professing stronger feelings...it's always a tough call. I don't think you need to look for a better singer.
Regards,
Leon

Thank you, Leon.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I almost missed this one for some reason and I am really glad I didn't. Def one of your best. I have an affinity for the subject matter because it was basically the story of my early adult years. That aside, I loved the song itself, the terrific vocal, the sax and the great ending. Like I said, one of your best for sure.

Hello, Bob. Thanks so much. Man, what a fun song BSides Blues is. Did the vocal yesterday You're a good writer and I love the blues. Thanks for the invite. Can't wait to hear the final.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your vocal is good and it conveys the emotion of the lyrics well.

Your tag say "country" but it's not that. It's got a hint of 60s folk.

I enjoyed the song. Good lyrics and melody.

Thanks, Scott. I never add any keywords. I just go with what the algorithm suggest, and I thought it was weird it suggested country, too.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Great song and a good job with it.

Platonic.... Another word for "No".

I enjoyed the song

Haha. You're right, Herb. "Yeah, we're just friends. So let's keep it that way."

Originally Posted By: Billybmusic
Marty:

Your attention to detail is obvious.

Nice work,good song.

Thanks for sharing

Thank you, Billy.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Marty,

Great composition. The mix is ​​excellent. The whole is very pleasant. I appreciated. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,526
Members38,529
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
William L, gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay
38,528 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173