You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#730752 - 09/07/22 06:57 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] How to use virtual instrument?
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,

I just bought the latest version of PT and please help me on how to incorporate virtual piano so I can start recording. Please walk me through each step as I am a complete beginner. Thanks Dai Phan

#730754 - 09/07/22 07:29 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

The controller is Kawai VCP-1 and the virtual piano is Synthology Ivory. The interface is Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 interface. The PT is the latest 2022 version. Thanks all. Dai

#730808 - 09/07/22 02:32 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Connect Kawai to computer using USB connection. The 212 does not facilitate MIDI as far as I know.

Assuming the Synthology Ivory is a VST instrument that PT can use, you have to go to a MIDI channel.
Open the DX/VST area using the downward area on the left side of the track.

Once in that window, select the first of the set of four slots for FX (this will accommodate a VSTi and the rest will accommodate VST FX (reverb etc)

If your Synthology Ivory does not appear in the list you'll have to use the Add VST button to browse to the location of the DLL file and add it to the list.

At this point you should be able to record MIDI and then Play it back using the Synthology Ivory, but not at the same time.

To do this, go to Options - Preferences - AUDIO and enable the Input Monitoring option.
This allows playing through a VSTi in real time.

Now go back to the MIDI track and Open the FX area again.
Now in the very top drop down scroll way down and select Input Monitor Insert.
Then you should be able to hear the keyboard play the VSTi.
If you enable the IM record option in Auido-Prefs you can also record it.

Hope I didn't forget any steps.

Summary
make sure the VSTi is available in PT
make sure you can send MIDI to PT from the keyboard
enable Input Monitoring (and recording if desired)
Then you can start to use them via the Track Insert

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

Edited by rharv (09/07/22 02:34 PM)

#730826 - 09/07/22 05:42 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you so very much Rharv! I used PT with Ivory before and did a few recordings. But that was 8 years ago and I completely forgot everything. I will do what you suggest and will let you know the result. My 2i2 is about 9 years old. Should I upgrade and if so, what is the best one to get? Thank you so much! Dai

#730828 - 09/07/22 05:49 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

daiphan.

i suggest you watch julian krause vids on you tube.

he does very thorough interface evaluations.

in the realband forum is a list of asio usb interfaces
that pg users have found work with pg software.

whatever you decide i would suggest you rent before
buying to ensure the device works with your rig.

also chek out this sweetwater article.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-usb-audio-interfaces/

best

om

Edited by justanoldmuso (09/07/22 05:56 PM)

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/tracks

#730852 - 09/08/22 05:34 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: justanoldmuso]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
daiphan.

i suggest you watch julian krause vids on you tube.

he does very thorough interface evaluations.

in the realband forum is a list of asio usb interfaces
that pg users have found work with pg software.

whatever you decide i would suggest you rent before
buying to ensure the device works with your rig.

also chek out this sweetwater article.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-usb-audio-interfaces/

best

om

Thank you very much. I record as a hobbyist not professional of any kind. I see the 2i2 is on the list. Since it is 9 years old, should I upgrade? Thanks Dai

#730855 - 09/08/22 06:09 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Dai.

i dont use focusrite so i cant comment objectively.

and it depends how many mic preamps you want NOW.
and how low latency and other factors like your budget ?
so post back your needs/budget NOW.

before you do anything peruse the krause vids on you tube here...(interface tech is ever changeing.)

https://www.youtube.com/c/JulianKrause/videos

fwiw powertraks was my first multitrak daw way back when i got out of the expense of big studio 2 inch gear.
i never looked back. did oodles of songs with it.

best

om

Edited by justanoldmuso (09/08/22 06:10 AM)

#730892 - 09/08/22 10:22 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: justanoldmuso]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Dai.

i dont use focusrite so i cant comment objectively.

and it depends how many mic preamps you want NOW.
and how low latency and other factors like your budget ?
so post back your needs/budget NOW.

before you do anything peruse the krause vids on you tube here...(interface tech is ever changeing.)

https://www.youtube.com/c/JulianKrause/videos

fwiw powertraks was my first multitrak daw way back when i got out of the expense of big studio 2 inch gear.
i never looked back. did oodles of songs with it.

best

om

I would like zero latency. This is only for solo piano and cost is not a factor. I do this for fun and to be posted on Face Book. Dai

#730907 - 09/08/22 11:55 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Dai.

to save me lots of typing heres what i suggest..

1..go thru the yt krause vids carefully.
2..maybe rent a hi end interface eg RME great rep, a mid level one (eg ssl2+ or audient),
and a low end interface eg behringer euphoria. or umc under 100 buks. you might be surprised like lots of people how good even the el cheapo ones are..cos tech has advanced and competition is fierce.

this way you can do objective sound quality n' latency tests viz your current interface.

NOTE.
due to laws of physics there is always "some latency".
also depends on buffer setting.
if you dont know bout 'round trip latency'...read up and try this tool on any device >>

https://oblique-audio.com/rtl-utility.php

i use reaper (reaper.fm) for a basic latency measurement (its displayed on top right of the daw main screen.)
also read up the specs re latency on your shortlist of devices. as well as direct monitoring features.

latency/other problems can also depend on if one is useing a pc 'clunker' or a very optimised pc for daw work.

there are guides on pg here and the net re optimising a pc
for music production.

hth/best

om

Edited by justanoldmuso (09/08/22 11:59 AM)

#730938 - 09/08/22 03:47 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
rharv Offline
Veteran

IMHO, There is nothing wrong with the 2i2 for OPs needs; his controller uses MIDI so he can connect to the PC that way for his modest needs.

Hope I gave him enough clues on how to accomplish the task.
If not I suspect he'll be back, if so, maybe not.

#730943 - 09/08/22 04:05 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: rharv]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

definitely if only doing midi mate.

i detailed things cos in the past ive seen people only do midi , then often want more than midi later.and his interface is getting a tad loong in the tooth i understood.

best

om

Edited by justanoldmuso (09/08/22 04:09 PM)

#730946 - 09/08/22 05:08 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,

Thank you so very much for your help. I was able to get the Ivory on the virtual instrument but when play a sample song, or from the keyboard I do not hear the sound. I see the blue dots meaning PT is getting the data but no sound. Dai

#730948 - 09/08/22 05:22 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: rharv]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: rharv
Connect Kawai to computer using USB connection. The 212 does not facilitate MIDI as far as I know.

Assuming the Synthology Ivory is a VST instrument that PT can use, you have to go to a MIDI channel.

Once in that window, select the first of the set of four slots for FX (this will accommodate a VSTi and the rest will accommodate VST FX (reverb etc)

If your Synthology Ivory does not appear in the list you'll have to use the Add VST button to browse to the location of the DLL file and add it to the list.

At this point you should be able to record MIDI and then Play it back using the Synthology Ivory, but not at the same time.

To do this, go to Options - Preferences - AUDIO and enable the Input Monitoring option.

Summary

I did exacty like you direct but no sound from Ivory. I see signals sent from VCP-1. Dai

#730955 - 09/08/22 06:55 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: daiphan

Summary

I did exacty like you direct but no sound from Ivory. I see signals sent from VCP-1. Dai

Good news! I was able to get PT to play the demo song via Ivory as well as recording and play back. I load the Ivory.dll file by going into the Program File. I select ASIO and did not select Input Monitoring as that setting gives a strong hissing back ground noise. I did not select input monitoring in the FX menu and keep at Ivory VST in the track section. Because at this time I just record only the piano but as my skills expand I am sure I will have to do what you advise. Dai

#730959 - 09/08/22 07:59 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Good news! I was able to get PT to play the demo song via Ivory as well as recording and play back.

Glad you are making progress!

#730978 - 09/09/22 05:25 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: rharv]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:
Good news! I was able to get PT to play the demo song via Ivory as well as recording and play back.

Glad you are making progress!

I am going to upgrade the 2i2 as mine is almost 10 years old. Dai

PG Music News
RealBand 2023 is Here!

Just released - RealBand 2023!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2023, including RealChart generation for RealDrums, MIDI Vocoder and Fix Tuning modes for Audio Harmonies, MicroChords (up to 4 chords per beat), RealDrum Stems support, Playable RealTracks to customize the RealTracks performances by adding your own notes, Reverse Audio Effects, easy Tab key navigation on the Chords Window, smoother mouse wheel operation on the Tracks Window, the EZ RealTracks/RealDrums folder locations dialog, and much more!

RealBand 2023 is included with all Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows orders - and our 2023 upgrades are ON SALE until December 31st! Until then, save up to 50% - upgrade for as little as $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here - and it's on SALE!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows is here, and it includes over 70 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!

You don't need to go out and buy a Jukebox - if you're using Band-in-a-Box®, you already have one!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® SGU files within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening pleasure!

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here. Mac too!

How to: Using the New Download and Install Manager to Install on macOS

In this video we show you how to use the new Band-in-a-Box® Download And Install Manager to install Band-in-a-Box® 2022 on macOS: Installing Band-in-a-Box® On macOS Using The New Download And Install Manager

Learn more about this feature.

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

Endorsing Artist Nick Kellie is a long-time Band-in-a-Box® user - here's what he has to say about the program, along with some of his sessions demoing his use of Band-in-a-Box® backing tracks: Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial - Nick Kellie

"Band-in-a-Box is an indispensable tool for any practicing musician. I can think of any chord progression imaginable and it can do it. It has helped me to hone my skills as a soloist and as a rhythm player."
- Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® User Tip - Generate a RealTracks Solo Using the Silence RealTrack Instead of Mute

Our Forums are full of enthusiastic and long time Band-in-a-Box® users, so it's no surprise when they post a handy tip for fellow program users.

Like this one, Generate a RealTracks Solo using the Silence RealTrack instead of Mute

What a time saving tip to share with everyone - thanks Charlie!

Interested reading other program tips, or share your own? Head to our Tips and Tricks forum to join in on the conversation.

Forum Stats
36762 Members
64 Forums
76137 Topics
673317 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Rahul Kumar, Camron, Bozze, World Access, KuribohG

36762 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 207
Matt Finley 193