You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#730752 - 09/07/22 06:57 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] How to use virtual instrument?
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,

I just bought the latest version of PT and please help me on how to incorporate virtual piano so I can start recording. Please walk me through each step as I am a complete beginner. Thanks Dai Phan

#730754 - 09/07/22 07:29 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

The controller is Kawai VCP-1 and the virtual piano is Synthology Ivory. The interface is Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 interface. The PT is the latest 2022 version. Thanks all. Dai

#730808 - 09/07/22 02:32 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Connect Kawai to computer using USB connection. The 212 does not facilitate MIDI as far as I know.

Assuming the Synthology Ivory is a VST instrument that PT can use, you have to go to a MIDI channel.
Open the DX/VST area using the downward area on the left side of the track.

Once in that window, select the first of the set of four slots for FX (this will accommodate a VSTi and the rest will accommodate VST FX (reverb etc)

If your Synthology Ivory does not appear in the list you'll have to use the Add VST button to browse to the location of the DLL file and add it to the list.

At this point you should be able to record MIDI and then Play it back using the Synthology Ivory, but not at the same time.

To do this, go to Options - Preferences - AUDIO and enable the Input Monitoring option.
This allows playing through a VSTi in real time.

Now go back to the MIDI track and Open the FX area again.
Now in the very top drop down scroll way down and select Input Monitor Insert.
Then you should be able to hear the keyboard play the VSTi.
If you enable the IM record option in Auido-Prefs you can also record it.

Hope I didn't forget any steps.

Summary
make sure the VSTi is available in PT
make sure you can send MIDI to PT from the keyboard
enable Input Monitoring (and recording if desired)
Then you can start to use them via the Track Insert

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

Edited by rharv (09/07/22 02:34 PM)

#730826 - 09/07/22 05:42 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you so very much Rharv! I used PT with Ivory before and did a few recordings. But that was 8 years ago and I completely forgot everything. I will do what you suggest and will let you know the result. My 2i2 is about 9 years old. Should I upgrade and if so, what is the best one to get? Thank you so much! Dai

#730828 - 09/07/22 05:49 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
justanoldmuso Offline
Veteran

daiphan.

i suggest you watch julian krause vids on you tube.

he does very thorough interface evaluations.

in the realband forum is a list of asio usb interfaces
that pg users have found work with pg software.

whatever you decide i would suggest you rent before
buying to ensure the device works with your rig.

also chek out this sweetwater article.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-usb-audio-interfaces/

best

om

Edited by justanoldmuso (09/07/22 05:56 PM)

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/tracks

#730852 - 09/08/22 05:34 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: justanoldmuso]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
daiphan.

i suggest you watch julian krause vids on you tube.

he does very thorough interface evaluations.

in the realband forum is a list of asio usb interfaces
that pg users have found work with pg software.

whatever you decide i would suggest you rent before
buying to ensure the device works with your rig.

also chek out this sweetwater article.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-usb-audio-interfaces/

best

om

Thank you very much. I record as a hobbyist not professional of any kind. I see the 2i2 is on the list. Since it is 9 years old, should I upgrade? Thanks Dai

#730855 - 09/08/22 06:09 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
justanoldmuso Offline
Veteran

Dai.

i dont use focusrite so i cant comment objectively.

and it depends how many mic preamps you want NOW.
and how low latency and other factors like your budget ?
so post back your needs/budget NOW.

before you do anything peruse the krause vids on you tube here...(interface tech is ever changeing.)

https://www.youtube.com/c/JulianKrause/videos

fwiw powertraks was my first multitrak daw way back when i got out of the expense of big studio 2 inch gear.
i never looked back. did oodles of songs with it.

best

om

Edited by justanoldmuso (09/08/22 06:10 AM)

#730892 - 09/08/22 10:22 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: justanoldmuso]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Dai.

i dont use focusrite so i cant comment objectively.

and it depends how many mic preamps you want NOW.
and how low latency and other factors like your budget ?
so post back your needs/budget NOW.

before you do anything peruse the krause vids on you tube here...(interface tech is ever changeing.)

https://www.youtube.com/c/JulianKrause/videos

fwiw powertraks was my first multitrak daw way back when i got out of the expense of big studio 2 inch gear.
i never looked back. did oodles of songs with it.

best

om

I would like zero latency. This is only for solo piano and cost is not a factor. I do this for fun and to be posted on Face Book. Dai

#730907 - 09/08/22 11:55 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
justanoldmuso Offline
Veteran

Dai.

to save me lots of typing heres what i suggest..

1..go thru the yt krause vids carefully.
2..maybe rent a hi end interface eg RME great rep, a mid level one (eg ssl2+ or audient),
and a low end interface eg behringer euphoria. or umc under 100 buks. you might be surprised like lots of people how good even the el cheapo ones are..cos tech has advanced and competition is fierce.

this way you can do objective sound quality n' latency tests viz your current interface.

NOTE.
due to laws of physics there is always "some latency".
also depends on buffer setting.
if you dont know bout 'round trip latency'...read up and try this tool on any device >>

https://oblique-audio.com/rtl-utility.php

i use reaper (reaper.fm) for a basic latency measurement (its displayed on top right of the daw main screen.)
also read up the specs re latency on your shortlist of devices. as well as direct monitoring features.

latency/other problems can also depend on if one is useing a pc 'clunker' or a very optimised pc for daw work.

there are guides on pg here and the net re optimising a pc
for music production.

hth/best

om

Edited by justanoldmuso (09/08/22 11:59 AM)

#730938 - 09/08/22 03:47 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
rharv Offline
Veteran

IMHO, There is nothing wrong with the 2i2 for OPs needs; his controller uses MIDI so he can connect to the PC that way for his modest needs.

Hope I gave him enough clues on how to accomplish the task.
If not I suspect he'll be back, if so, maybe not.

#730943 - 09/08/22 04:05 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: rharv]
justanoldmuso Offline
Veteran

definitely if only doing midi mate.

i detailed things cos in the past ive seen people only do midi , then often want more than midi later.and his interface is getting a tad loong in the tooth i understood.

best

om

Edited by justanoldmuso (09/08/22 04:09 PM)

#730946 - 09/08/22 05:08 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,

Thank you so very much for your help. I was able to get the Ivory on the virtual instrument but when play a sample song, or from the keyboard I do not hear the sound. I see the blue dots meaning PT is getting the data but no sound. Dai

#730948 - 09/08/22 05:22 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: rharv]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: rharv
Connect Kawai to computer using USB connection. The 212 does not facilitate MIDI as far as I know.

Assuming the Synthology Ivory is a VST instrument that PT can use, you have to go to a MIDI channel.

Once in that window, select the first of the set of four slots for FX (this will accommodate a VSTi and the rest will accommodate VST FX (reverb etc)

If your Synthology Ivory does not appear in the list you'll have to use the Add VST button to browse to the location of the DLL file and add it to the list.

At this point you should be able to record MIDI and then Play it back using the Synthology Ivory, but not at the same time.

To do this, go to Options - Preferences - AUDIO and enable the Input Monitoring option.

Summary

I did exacty like you direct but no sound from Ivory. I see signals sent from VCP-1. Dai

#730955 - 09/08/22 06:55 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: daiphan

Summary

I did exacty like you direct but no sound from Ivory. I see signals sent from VCP-1. Dai

Good news! I was able to get PT to play the demo song via Ivory as well as recording and play back. I load the Ivory.dll file by going into the Program File. I select ASIO and did not select Input Monitoring as that setting gives a strong hissing back ground noise. I did not select input monitoring in the FX menu and keep at Ivory VST in the track section. Because at this time I just record only the piano but as my skills expand I am sure I will have to do what you advise. Dai

#730959 - 09/08/22 07:59 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: daiphan]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Good news! I was able to get PT to play the demo song via Ivory as well as recording and play back.

Glad you are making progress!

#730978 - 09/09/22 05:25 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: How to use virtual instrument? [Re: rharv]
daiphan Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:
Good news! I was able to get PT to play the demo song via Ivory as well as recording and play back.

Glad you are making progress!

I am going to upgrade the 2i2 as mine is almost 10 years old. Dai

PG Music News
Getting To Know Your Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows®

Have you received the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows®, and you'd like to learn more about the newest features?

There are a few different resources available to you!

In the program there is a "2023 NEW Features" button that offers quick access to the newest features explanations and tutorials.

We offer video tutorials explaining the new version as well as breaking down specific features. You can access these on our YouTube Channel, or here on our Website on the Support | Videos pages.

There are detailed program manuals available on our Online Manuals page that explains just the New Features in the Upgrade Manual, or combines all the features of the program in our Full Manual. Prefer to access a PDF of the manuals instead? They're available on our Online Manuals page too!

Our Forums are also a great way to learn about the newest features! Not only will you see our videos shared there, you'll join an active community of friendly and knowledgeable program users happy to answer questions and help out!

Of course, you can always ask our team directly too!

It's the Last Weekend to Save Up To 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Upgrades!

Hurry - our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 special ends this Sunday, January 15th at 11:59 pm PST!

Order before then and save up to 50% off your Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade and receive a Free Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows adds over 70 new features and amazing new content to the Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Last Chance to Save Up To 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Upgrades!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 special ends this Sunday, January 15th! Order by then and save up to 50% off your Band-in-a-Box 2023 Upgrade and receive a Free Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows adds over 70 new features and amazing new content to the Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Special is Extended to January 15, 2023

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows special with up to 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases has been extended to January 15, 2023!

Plus, there is a Free Bonus PAK automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs Special Extended to January 15, 2023!

We've extended the XPro and Xtra Styles PAKS special offers to January 15, 2023!

We're offering XPro Styles PAKs 1-4 and Xtra Styles PAKs 1-15 for just $29 each (reg $49)!

Treat yourself to 100 brand new RealStyles for country, bluegrass, jazz, funk, rock, and pop with the new XPro Styles PAK 4 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022, but why stop there? The new Xtra Styles PAKs 14 & 15 include 17 MultiStyle groups and 200 new styles for Rock, Pop, Jazz, and Country, as well as genres like '80s glam rock, rockabilly, big band, space rock, metal, funk, and more!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs and order now.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and order now.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2023: Artist Performance Set 13: Songs with Vocals 3

Learn all about the 25 Songs with Vocals added to our Band-in-a-Box Add-ons with Artist Performance Set 13: Songs with Vocals 3! Band-in-a-Box® 2023: Songs with Vocals 3

This included in the Band-in-a-Box 2023 Free Bonus PAK!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows - 'Twas the Click Before Christmas!

Order any version of Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows and receive your download key right away for use with our One-Click Installer, but don't wait too long... our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows special ends December 31st!

Order now to add over 70 new features and amazing new content to your Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

It's a great time to order, with up to 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022!

Plus, there is a Free Bonus PAK automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Forum Stats
37067 Members
64 Forums
77063 Topics
682935 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Dougyboy, Malk, RayP, Prt137, GregSm

37067 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
musocity 180
Matt Finley 152