Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lifting Doldrums on Soundclound
Lifting Doldrums on YouTube

This is a song about realizing we are all on this planet together at the same time, and life is better with others. That being said, it only stands to reason we should help each other. Competition for things was never necessary; cooperation gets the bigger prize.

Key=E , Tempo 95, Length (m:s)=3:42
4 bar intro, 80 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 84. Repeat x1 chorus
Style is _CABNJAM.STY (Cabin Jam Folk Pop with Cajon)

RealTracks in style: 1422:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 2930:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock8thsBrent Ev 100
RealTracks in style: ~896:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 3236:Guitar, Nylon, Fingerpicking CelticAir Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1058:Sax, Alto, Soloist SmoothJazzPoppy Ev16 090
RealDrums in Song: AfucheShakerEv8[single]
RealDrums in Song: CountryPopBallad^04-SnrHt,SnrRd
RealDrums in style:CajonFolkPop8ths: a: Cajon b: Cajon 4 High

Oh, man, Dave Bell of Blue Attitude did an incredible solo, not to mention the guitar fills and a very tasty bit on the interludes. IF YOU'RE SHORT ON TIME, head strait to the solo at about 2:40 –add an interlude by starting at 2:30. I sang and played bass.
Your time and comments are greatly appreciated.

Lifting Doldrums

You can't go on doin' nothin' wrong
and hope it makes it all alright.
You must be strong, and keep on trudging on
cuz sitting still is still no life.
Get up off your chair and take a breath of air.
Then you can start to be alive.

Lifting doldrums that seem to weigh a ton
is easier with help from friends.
Lifting doldrums that rains on everyone
is not a solo means to ends.

When things seem bleak, you're on a losing streak,
and nothin' ever seems to change,
just give a yelp and ask for someone's help
and suddenly your goal's in range.
You need all your strength to reach the final length.
Regain your grip on life's loose reigns.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Marty...you guys astound me....you always present such a sophisticated, tight blues sound to your projects...profound philosophical message for us all in a great package...your productions audibly and visually are the best! your vocal is superb and Dave's guitar work is crazy good (you were right!) I'm always delighted with your efforts...great work...thanks for posting this...Dan

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Marty, Great song! You got that right, Dave really nailed that solo, and the bass was really working well with it too! I liked the writing in the whole song, but I thought that first verse was killer - really liked it. I think this song would sound great at a faster tempo as well. You guys are the blues masters.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty and Dave,

First..... I had to look up what a doldrum is blush
Now that I know, I get the message.
Really good lyrics, music and vocals.
And the fills and solo are great!
Nice video too.

Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"I had to look up what a doldrum is"
Me too.

Marty, great concept + well delivered message. Ace bass, vocals and arrangement. It would not be the same without Dave. He got the special sauce.
Nice collab! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S.Competition to colonize mars, build cheaper cars, fancier phones... I wish big boys would concentrate more on working together to find ways to manage plastic and other wonderful waste, true recycle of materials and energy.

Last edited by Rustyspoon#; 09/12/22 12:44 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Gentlemen that was outstanding.

The vocals were spot on and that axe man nailed it again! Dave has some super chops!

That bass ain't to shabby either!

Loved it.

PS loved that little slide at the end!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty & Dave

That was fun to play along with.

Excellent work all round and wonderfully played and sung (loved the solo).

Great work (nice video too).

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Not much to say, other than: I like it!

And that solo... Excellent! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty...you guys astound me....you always present such a sophisticated, tight blues sound to your projects...profound philosophical message for us all in a great package...your productions audibly and visually are the best! your vocal is superb and Dave's guitar work is crazy good (you were right!) I'm always delighted with your efforts...great work...thanks for posting this...Dan

Hi, Dan. Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Marty, Great song! You got that right, Dave really nailed that solo, and the bass was really working well with it too! I liked the writing in the whole song, but I thought that first verse was killer - really liked it. I think this song would sound great at a faster tempo as well. You guys are the blues masters.

Thank you, Brad. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Marty and Dave,

First..... I had to look up what a doldrum is blush
Now that I know, I get the message.
Really good lyrics, music and vocals.
And the fills and solo are great!
Nice video too.
Anne-Marie

Hi, Anne-Marie. Me. too. The title came when I wanted to help lift someone from their slight depression, but I looked it up to make sure it would make sense. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
"I had to look up what a doldrum is"
Me too.

Marty, great concept + well delivered message. Ace bass, vocals and arrangement. It would not be the same without Dave. He got the special sauce.
Nice collab! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S.Competition to colonize mars, build cheaper cars, fancier phones... I wish big boys would concentrate more on working together to find ways to manage plastic and other wonderful waste, true recycle of materials and energy.

Thanks, Misha. Unfortunately those boys are considered big because they have all the money. I think us little people will have to do it all without them... and maybe redefine "big."

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

Good write. Love the message!!
Well sung. (I was hoping for some harmonies in the chorus later on - it's such a catchy chorus!)
Love That Bass!!

Dave is Smokin'.
His intro, his during-the-song-licks and (especially) his solo are some of his best work ever, I think.
Truly lyrical.

Classic BabuMusic music.

Excellent mix.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty & Dave,

It's a very nice blues song.
The combination of your vocal and Dave's guitar is wonderful.
As others said, I didn't understand the meaning of "doldrums", but after reading the lyrics, I understood.
That's a great message.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,
Your voice is a very warm, welcoming thing.
Mr Bell - wonderful.
Bass and vocals are spot on though, personally, I'd like the vocal just a little back in the mix.
That personal nit aside the mix is clear, solid and just what the song required.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I love the song and its message. And you're right, Dave Bell did a great job, not only the solo, but all the tasteful little fills in the song.

2 thumbs up!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Gentlemen that was outstanding.

The vocals were spot on and that axe man nailed it again! Dave has some super chops!

That bass ain't to shabby either!

Loved it.

PS loved that little slide at the end!

Thanks, Mario. That slide started with the original rough track. There was a resonator in that mix, and I liked that it did that at the end. When Dave sent me his track, the reso had to leave but Dave added his own and I'll never delete a note that dude plays.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty & Dave

That was fun to play along with.

Excellent work all round and wonderfully played and sung (loved the solo).

Great work (nice video too).

Peter

Peter, man, I've got to get a song where you and Dave are both playing. Scott, too. Seriously we've got to do one of those giant collabs like Andi & David Snyder have done. An instrumental jam.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Not much to say, other than: I like it!

And that solo... Excellent! laugh

Thanks, David. Music to my ears, and thanks for saying them.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

Good write. Love the message!!
Well sung. (I was hoping for some harmonies in the chorus later on - it's such a catchy chorus!)
Love That Bass!!

Dave is Smokin'.
His intro, his during-the-song-licks and (especially) his solo are some of his best work ever, I think.
Truly lyrical.

Classic BabuMusic music.

Excellent mix.

fj

Thanks, Floyd. You were on my list of folks to bother about the chorus. Initially I had the idea of everyone singing the chorus because, as it says, lifting doldrums is not a solo means to end. Sounds weird with just one voice.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Marty and Dave
Good song with a great message
Beautifully realized musically
You two are already a great team
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good message, "Regain your grip on life's loose reigns" I like that... many times it just feels there's a high threshold for asking help. Nice blues, great guitar work. Good band, I enjoyed hearing an organ also, although it is not listed.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi BabuMusic,

Well constructed composition. The lyrics are of a truth that many politicians should learn from. The voice and the guitar solo are very pleasant. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great song with a great message. Guitar to die for. Couldn't ask for more.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Marty & Dave,

It's a very nice blues song.
The combination of your vocal and Dave's guitar is wonderful.
As others said, I didn't understand the meaning of "doldrums", but after reading the lyrics, I understood.
That's a great message.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks, Shigeki! It means a lot to us.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Marty,
Your voice is a very warm, welcoming thing.
Mr Bell - wonderful.
Bass and vocals are spot on though, personally, I'd like the vocal just a little back in the mix.
That personal nit aside the mix is clear, solid and just what the song required.

Thanks, Ray. It's funny, I'm always telling you to turn up your vocals and you tell me to turn mine down. Since I admit that I've learned so much from you, maybe I should. But I still say yours could be louder. smile

Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I love the song and its message. And you're right, Dave Bell did a great job, not only the solo, but all the tasteful little fills in the song.

2 thumbs up!

Thanks, BD! Right? I just released a new album of 10 songs. Dave is on like 8 of them and those 8 sound far more professional.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Marty and Dave
Good song with a great message
Beautifully realized musically
You two are already a great team
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi. Can't wait to hear the new one you're working on.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cheered me up no end, this morning, as your music and kind words invariably do. This is top notch, in my very humble opinion - and a big shout, too, to Dave Bell ... great job on that guitar, man!

He sets it up, and you score the goal. Your vocal delivery really stands out - I want to hear no more of how you're not a good singer, etc., haha ... you're brilliant and you really communicate what you have to say.

Bravo, bravo, to the both of you. Hats off.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,033
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185