Print Thread
Go To
#74221 05/27/10 07:54 PM
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
JBlatz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
How to change styles when working outside of Biab's "home directory.

I frequently compose tunes in "MySongs" folder, so changing styles in a song can be a pain, requiring the temporary movement of my styles to the Biab home directory so I can make those changes. When I finish the song and save it to "MySongs" folder, I would then have to locate and delete those styles I was temporarily using from Biab's home folder. (Once the style changes have been saved, Biab finds the styles in "MySongs" folder so they do not need to in the cluttered Biab folder.)

If you work in a similar manner, the following technique may ease that pain.

Background:
Location of MySongs folder: C:\MySongs
Location of my styles: C:\MySongs
Location of my composition: C:\MySongs
Location of the Biab home folder: C:\bb2009

Additional files needed in MySongs folder:
CopySty.bat
DelSty.bat
DosCmd.bat

You will have to create these simple batch files.
Note: For accuracy you can copy and paste the paths from Window's Explorer.
1. CopySty.bat
a. Open Notepad
b. Type: Copy C:\MySongs\%1 C:\bb2009
c. SaveAs: CopySty.bat

2. DelSty.bat
a. Open Notepad
b. Type: Del C:\bb2009\%1
c. SaveAs: DelSty.bat

3. DosCmd.bat
a. Open Notepad
b. Type: Cmd
c. SaveAs: DosCmd.bat

Operation:
To copy the style to the Biab folder:
01. Open Window's Explorer to the MySongs folder.
02. Select the bar in the Biab song where you want to change styles.
03. Determine what style to change to.
04. Copy that style's name from the Window's Explorer, (say BR549.sty).
05. Double-click DosCmd.bat to get a Dos window.
06. Type CopySty and a space ("CopySty ")
07. Right-click and paste the style's file name (BR549.sty)
08. Hit Enter. (The style is copied to the Biab folder.)

To change styles:
09. In Biab, use the F5 key to change styles.
10. Save the song. (Important before deleting the style from the Biab folder.)

Deleting the style from the Biab folder.
11. Return to the Dos window (or double-click the DosCmd.bat)
12. Type DelSty and a space ("DelSty ")
13. Right-click and paste the style's file name. (BR549.sty is still in memory.)
14. Hit Enter. (The style is deleted from the Biab folder.)
15. Reload the song from the MySongs folder so it will find the new style change.

I certainly hope this is not too confusing.

JBlatz
JBlatz #74222 10/27/10 07:07 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hello, greetings to anyone. My problem in reality, when I change a style, if the style has only one real track as default, I have to wait 3 to 4 minutes before to use the program again. As I don't know in advance if the style that I will choose has real tracks inside, I receive a yellow pop up message who says to me tha the file has an incorrect beat map and the quality might not be optimum...While the computer is working to build the real instrument.
So, this is really not a progress. Of course, I can change in the preferences in the options and not to enable real tracks but I have to do that everytime I reopen BiaB. I have a damn stupid Vista with a damn new Dell XPS.
My BiaB version is the last of 2008 and I don't want to have any new version since real tracks is slowing incredibly down the use of BiaB.

Blisco
blisco #74223 10/27/10 04:34 PM
R
Expert
Expert
R
2010 BIAB has an option to speed up generation of RealTracks. I have Vista on a 2 year old laptop and typical generation time is about 5 seconds. Also, 2010 has tempo swapping which automatically swaps most RealTracks if you choose one with the 'wrong' tempo. It may be worth it to consider an upgrade.

As far as the beat map problem, try re-installing the offending RealTrack or just delete the .bt0 files from the specific RealTrack folder. A new one will get generated the next time it is used.

RealTrack styles are preceeded with _ such as _SLOWBAL. This will help you determine if a style has a RealTrack.

2008 is a distant memory but I think the above will apply.

R

p.s. You may want to take this issue to the BIAB forum. More people will read it.

Last edited by Rachael; 10/27/10 04:38 PM.
JBlatz #74224 10/28/10 06:10 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
You are happy with the way this works. It is a clever thing, and it must have been fun to work out the system. But it is a little complicated for some. BiaB has a simpler alternative programmed in, should anybody want to use it.

If you move all your styles into a directory called Styles, under the main BB directory, Band in a Box will always find them when loading songs, no matter where the songs are. The messiness of the main directory is relieved, but you don't have to shift styles around nor point to style locations, because the program will search in Styles if it exists.

The new directory must be called Styles, and it must be located right in your main BiaB folder. Other names and locations will not be searched. Songs can always be stored anywhere that's convenient.

Larry
______
allis #74225 10/28/10 06:35 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Blisco -

The RealTrack generate times, as Rachael pointed out, is much, much faster in 2010 (and 2010.5) than in 2008. You'll find find that you can generate your whole song (with multiple RealTracks) in probably half the time to generate a single track in your current configuration (assuming you have a fairly recent computer).

Larry -

What I do with styles is to keep all the styles provided by PGMusic in the main folder (because that's where updates will go), but to keep all the styles obtained elsewhere (Norton, Finetuned, the web, etc) in the Styles folder.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #74226 10/28/10 07:04 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
No problem with that idea, John. It has organizational advantages. It does leave the main BiaB folder as chaotic as ever, which I sense jblatz finds annoying.

But if you put all styles into /Styles, you do have to clean up annually, after an update. Updates are not smart enough to find a /Styles folder, just as you imply.

Last edited by allis; 10/28/10 07:05 AM.
JBlatz #74227 11/06/10 01:33 AM
C
C
how can i change my style ?????? please tell some styles which are should be suited on me share with me your taste ??????????????
www.caresedan.com

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

how can i change my style ?????? please tell some styles which are should be suited on me share with me your taste ??????????????
www.caresedan.com

I would start by stop spamming this forum, just my idea.

Later,

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,413
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.