Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#742407 12/04/22 04:05 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
A friend of mine, Pam Messer had written a song and asked me to put music to it.
She had a good idea what she wanted and sent me a vocal track she had recorded on a USB mike. I helped out with some BIAB tracks.
I struggled a bit with EQ trying to get a clear vocal but then I thought it may be due to my anti-high frequency hearing.
How does it sound to you?
Vic

The band:
Synth 1278
Bass 2474 and 2483
Guitar 896 and 3692

https://on.soundcloud.com/HhAqo

vicarn #742442 12/04/22 07:56 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Pam and Vic
Very nice and calm song
Very interesting melody
Sounds good
The vocals are really nice
Also the technical preparation of the vocals is well done by you
An excellent work
both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

vicarn #742549 12/04/22 01:52 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very good song and killer harmonies. I like your production a lot. There does sound as if something could be done production-wise to improve the vocals, but I don't know what that would be. Not a major problem at all. Very enjoyable.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
vicarn #742601 12/04/22 11:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The guitars and the vocals felt like they were in different spaces, so maybe something to glue them all together might help? But as Rob said, not a big thing.

Really liked the harmonies, but it was hard for me to make out any of the words at the end.

Nice folk sound, though!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
PROJECT M #742616 12/05/22 12:15 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Andi.
That’s encouraging to hear.

Vic

TuneMonger #742617 12/05/22 12:22 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Tunemonger and thank you.
Maybe I’ll have another try with the vocal but I don’t think it can be done without creating sibilants.
The harmonies are produced by me manually shifting the pitch on the main vocal.

Vic

vicarn #742624 12/05/22 02:18 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
The singer's main melody took a little getting used to, but it grows on you, and the longer I listen, the more I like it.

Technically, I would remove the reverb from the singer's voice and turn it back up until it matches the rest of the band. Right now it's too much compared to the band, or maybe it's just a different flavor of reverb that makes the singer seem to be in a different space.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
vicarn #742646 12/05/22 04:48 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
David.
Thanks for the input.
I used the same pattern as I normally do: Reverb on instruments only and delay on Vocal.
Then I put a touch of reverb on the whole mix when mastering.
The vocal wasn't very clear when I first got it.
I will revisit though.

Vic

B.D.Thomas #742666 12/05/22 06:17 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for the sugg. Mr. Thomas
As I said to David, the effect on the vocal is delay not reverb.
This is my normal way of doing things.
I have now changed it to reverb. Does it sound better?
The recorded vocal wasn't too clear though when I received it.

Vic

vicarn #742756 12/05/22 10:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice backing.
Vocal seems to sit in the mix nicely, I think. Though some words are hard to understand.

fj

vicarn #742813 12/05/22 01:39 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The voice is basically lovely but the sibilance and some "mouth noise/lipsmacks" etc. do get in the way as does some of the attack on notes.
It needs some rounding as well as addressing the above.
There're about three points, from about 1.6kHz up, where the vocal has excess energy and they vary from a plosives to strident tones.
A multi band compressor followed by some EQ carving might work, def not the other way around.
It's a wonderful song and, to do it justice, the vocal ought to be re-recorded but you know that.
Your part in the production is sympathetic, supportive and lovely.

Last edited by rayc; 12/05/22 01:40 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
rayc #742833 12/05/22 02:29 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
The voice is basically lovely but the sibilance and some "mouth noise/lipsmacks" etc. do get in the way as does some of the attack on notes.
It needs some rounding as well as addressing the above.
There're about three points, from about 1.6kHz up, where the vocal has excess energy and they vary from a plosives to strident tones.
A multi band compressor followed by some EQ carving might work, def not the other way around.
It's a wonderful song and, to do it justice, the vocal ought to be re-recorded but you know that.
Your part in the production is sympathetic, supportive and lovely.

I agree with Ray.

Great backing tracks

This is a diamond in the rough and just needs a little polishing to shine.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
vicarn #742849 12/05/22 04:10 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The song grew on me as I listened.

Some of the chord progressions are a bit disconcerting.... At 53 seconds is an example. Singer slurs up in a strange sounding way.

I think the mix as a whole and especially the vocals are much too bright. Lots of high end stuff that could use some taming with a rounded off EQ. Mellowing the vocals would go a long way to improving this song. Others have mentioned sibilant sounds and lip smacks. Surgical envelopes on the volume and EQ will fix that.

This reminded me of some of the esoteric British singers from the 60s and 70s.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
vicarn #742896 12/06/22 03:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pam sounds so good, and you did a fine job of capturing that goodness, Vic. Love that harmony. I bet she even sounded good with the USB mic. Nice, simple band. Yes, the mix could be better as suggested, but the talent shines through.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
floyd jane #742954 12/06/22 06:50 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you, Floyd.
Yes, the vocal is giving me problems.
Vic

rayc #742955 12/06/22 06:55 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Ray.
Some of those noises are weird. I can't track them down.
I tried all sorts of EQ tricks, and then some of your suggs but no luck.
I think a new vocal is the next step toward sanity.
Thank you for your take on it.

Vic

vicarn #743093 12/06/22 04:47 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I loved this song. I too got deeper and deeper into the song as it progressed. Very cool delivery. She has an awesome voice. Backtrack was excellent. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
MarioD #743150 12/07/22 02:47 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you Mario.
I'm on it. I asked her to redo some of the vocal.

Vic

User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, Guitarhacker.
All suggs are being considered.
To my ears there are some consonants, at the beginning and ending of words, indiscernible.
If I warm up the vocal it makes it worse.
I have asked Pam for a new vocal, so I hope that works.

Vic

BabuMusic #743211 12/07/22 07:41 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Marty.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm waiting for a new vocal.

Vic

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173