Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Does anyone know where I can get a schematic or have any experience repairing these?

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 12/24/22 06:21 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t know. Good question. I have two fabulous A5Xs and an Adam subwoofer. Four years of great sound with no problems. Love that ribbon tweeter.

There was a fuse question on Gearspace.

Do you have A7 or A7x? Might matter.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
HI Matt,

I have looked in all the typical places, DIY Audio, and such. No luck so far. Perhaps Trev can comment, or I can send him a video of the device, and he may be able to point me in the correct direction.

I think a good many of us here own these monitors so it would be good to find repair solutions. The on-off switches have failed twice on mine but I was able to buy a replacement on reverb.

I would be glad to repair these monitors for people on the forum for free, time permitting if I had the schematics and can get the parts.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
That’s very generous. I would probably have to pay $200 to the guy who does repairs for me (big ones; I ran an electronics store and am good at the small stuff like a switch).

And I see your problem. Google just doesn’t turn up any leads for service manuals. I suppose I would write to Adam directly but people commented on their slow response time.

ps I’ve actually never turned mine off. They are on a Furman power strip, and I use them all day on and off anyway. But now I’ll be especially careful not to touch the switch.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Matt,

I was able to fix mine. After a very critical look at the components, I found a leaking electrolytic capacitor. That is a little unusual to get that lucky.

After taking a good look at the device, I would absolutely not be able to repair it without a schematic.

There is also one board with tiny surface-mount components that would be difficult to work with for me. I have a digital microscope to do this sort of work but pretty limited experience/skillsets soldering small surface mount stuff.

I will post a photo later. Perhaps Trev will comment, and maybe he has so place to find the schematic.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Would really love to help, Billy, but I have no experience with this system at all.

I did some searching, and found two other ADAM systems (earlier/different versions). The download links are on this page

Maybe there is some similarity in the schematics?

Hope this possibly helps (a little).
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, Trev

I found on that site in post 12 what I think is a schematic of the A7.

As I located the issue without the schematic, I did not try to inject a signal and trace it so I did not really need the schematic this time. Thanks for pointing it out as the next time it fails I may not be so lucky.

Everything is very compact, and without a point-to-point service manual, one would need to be a pretty skilled repair person to diagnose and fix the issue.

This is the problem with solid-state/transistor devices. They are not designed to be repaired, and very often the repair parts are not available. This is true with even very expensive stereo equipment.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
I’m glad it’s resolved for now.

I never did find a service manual. I suppose I could write to Berlin.

The bad capacitor makes sense. With those, you have a fighting chance of spotting one in a board. Your A7s are older than the current model and maybe they were manufactured during that ‘era of bad caps’ we went through. Let’s hope.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here are a few photos of mine. As you can see, everything is pretty compact.
There are several separate PCBs. There are several pages of schematics. It would take me a good bit of time to try to figure out just what is what.

As you can see in this photo, there is a surface-mount PCB with some pretty small components, which would be a challenge to desolder and replace.

The manufacturer of the speakers says they can not or will not repair them, plus they are in Europe. Highly skilled electronics people here in the United States could most likely repair these units because I don't see anything that would be hard to get in parts. Perhaps some of the operational amps would need to be replaced with newer components, but the specifications would most likely work.

Let's hope none of us have any failures. There is a limit to what is logical to repair in any event. The A7 schematics I saw on the DIY website were dated 2006. I have had these for about that long.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 12/26/22 04:04 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Some of the threads mentioned a problem with the Chinese manufactured toroidal core transformers, although that appears to not be your issue, however, looking at the photos, all of the electrolytics (and probably more) seems to come from China or similar. I would definitely be replacing all of those large value caps. They are all the same age as the crook one that you already identified. I'll bet if you measure them (out of circuit) they'll be out of tolerance.
My 2 cents, anyway...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You are very likely correct about the caps being out of specification. Capacitors are a very critical component in tube guitar amps. They are one of the main reasons it is very difficult to duplicate the sound of vintage guitar amps because those types of caps are no longer manufactured to the exact specifications of the originals. The electrolytic are what I am speaking of.

I am not sure how far a cap in a transistor circuit could drift from standard before there was a noticeable change in the sound quality on studio monitors.

The Adam studio speakers are pretty expensive, well, at least to me. My intent is to keep mine running as long as I can. For one thing, I like them, and second I don't want to spend the money to replace them unless forced to.

I also read the toroidal core transformers issue referred to in the DIY post. My experience with toroidal-type transformers has been pretty good. Toroidal transformers generally offer better sound quality for audio equipment.

Gallian Kruger uses them in their bass guitar amps, along with switched power supplies. The power supplies are not so simple to work on. They had asked me at one time to do warranty work for them in south Florida. The power supplies cost enough that they wanted them to have troubleshooting at the component level; there were too many other irons in the fire for me to take them up on the offer.

Billy

EDIT: On another electronic note, I now have enough room in the house in Sebring that I may build a set of Electrostatic loudspeakers. I have the woodworking tools I need to build the cabinets. I have always wanted a set just to see what they would sound like. I have also wondered if I could use them in a guitar amp.

Last edited by Planobilly; 12/26/22 07:31 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Billy, the main reason for toroidal core transformers in audio equipment is to minimize external interference (in the case of audio equipment we are referring to 60/50 Hz 'hum'). Well designed and manufactured transformers should never give an issue. But I guess you already know that smile

Regarding:
Quote:
"I am not sure how far a cap in a transistor circuit could drift from standard before there was a noticeable change in the sound quality on studio monitors."

In carefully designed and calibrated tuned circuits this is definitely an issue (low pass, high pass filters etc), however, my concern is that the caps are old and likely to fail, especially those in the P/S parts of the circuit. Old electrolytics are notorious for this.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Trev

I have replaced a fair amount of standard high voltage transformers in tube amps I have repaired. I think I have only replaced one toroidal core transformer in a Gallian Kruger solid-state bass amp.

As failures go, transformers in the guitar amps I have experience with have been pretty reliable. I don't know what they cost in those days, but new "iron" is pretty pricy.
I have worked on a good many 1950s/1960s guitar amps that had the original transformers. Power supply caps are the first thing to fail.

As I get older and less physically able to take a butt-wiping on the boat, electronics and other less physical hobbies are becoming more attractive. Also, the cost of offshore fishing is getting to the point it is less fun. Covid has put a bit of a damper on international travel along with the increased cost. I do really miss playing guitar in Europe with my friends. The house here in Sebring lends itself to live acoustic drums and higher volume levels of live music than I had in Miami. Of course, at the ranch, I can turn it up on 14...lol

I may actually try one more time to get a little better skilled at solid-state technology.

Eye surgery in a couple of weeks may make things less problematic for the small surface mount components. Well...at least I hope things go well.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The second post was a mistake.

Last edited by Planobilly; 12/27/22 02:43 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting stuff. I bought a pair of Adam T7Vs earlier this year. The rear mounted power switches are a problem for me given my set up so the speakers are "always on" though hooked to a powerboard with individual switches. I flick those when I need them. I did spend a few months with them actually always one & slaved to the power of my computer as I too & from a bit from the room but am much happier to have them hooked up as they are now.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,638
Posts735,345
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182