Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
**ONE BUTTON PUSH TO SEND BIAB TRAKS TO REALBAND**
(and maybe vice versa ?)

heres a suggestion (in this age of automation) to make it much easier to send traks in a bb song to realband (rb) (and maybe vice versa ?).
(the wish is similar in concept to the ease of sending to bb from the acw with just one button.)

as background i was trying vainly recently to help a fellow user trying to send bb traks >> rb.

as a result (and from my own use of bb n' rb) i was testing various ways of getting bb traks into rb including opening the the bb song file into rb as well as dragging traks from bb to rb ie the bb trak names.
in summary i would suggest currently its a tad 'fiddly'.

maybe i missed something currently available (sometimes i'm daft as my wife tells me…lol.) but i DID talk to pg support about the need and i suggested the following SOLUTION…...

haveing given the problem of too many steps for a user to take currently and deep thought..what i feel is needed is a BIG VISIBLE BUTTON in bb….that says something like the following..
SEND ALL TO RB…..thus when a user presses the button the following steps occur automatically without any manual steps/intervention needed from the user.

1..the bb song as it stands is auto saved (just in case…).
2..a new rb project is auto set up.
3..the bb traks are auto sent to individual rb ttraks in the new rb project.
THEN…
4..the new rb project with the just sent bb traks (set out on individual traks)is auto saved as project *.SEQ. maybe even get fancy as follows…
5..if the bb song is called "KITTENS ROCK' sgu or mgu then the auto saved rb seq is called KITTENSROCK.SEQ in the same dir as the bb file song resides in.

let me reiterate …all above occurs without user intervention.
ie all user needs to do is clik once the honking big button in bb.

after the above steps the user is presented with a rb screen with all traks filled...and a message 'seq saved' to bb dir.
ie rb mimics the number of bb traks…eg if bb has 12 traks then so does rb.if bb has only 9 traks so does rb.

now of course , in addition the programmer could get 'fancy shmancy' with other features like…

1..for each trak mimic the bb vol and pan settings and/or midi trak patch settings.
2..auto set up the plug ins in rb same as in bb etc etc.

so in essence the user doesnt have to do anything….just then carry on in rb with all the extra traks rb has.
in summary rb mirrors the bb individual trak settings.

now of course to get really fancy some what about going the other way ? ie rb >> bb.
but of course bb has fewer traks than rb..especially if rb's trak count is say at some point expanded to 96 traks
or more as pc's get more powerfull ??
bit of a poser this idea.

another poser is if a rb project is already displayed on screen. with say x//xx number of traks already filled eg first 24 traks,,thus the user could be asked i guess 'add
bb traks starting at rb trak 25' ??

i hope the above makes a modicum of sense ??

a happy new year to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/15/23 03:09 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Seems you're trying to send individual tracks from BB to RB using a single button. Maybe the WAV button in the Drag/Drop icon will work for you.

You don't mention if you tried dragging the Master button down to the WAV button - open DAW mode and drag the WAV button onto the RB program behind the DAW BB window.

The drag/drop can be configured to be a master stereo mix or individual tracks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-01-15 220221.gif (48.62 KB, 157 downloads)
Screenshot 2023-01-15 220349.gif (657.83 KB, 4 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Charlie.
(see ***footnote. yes i'm aware of that feature)

i DID talk to pg support who told me they thought the concept i explained had some merit.

bear in mind your very clued into the deep features of bb/very experienced.
but lots arent eg the new user who often doesnt want to read manuals and doesnt want added steps/somewhat hidden features. thus i was trying to come up with a intuitive
idea ie just press this honking big button lol.

***footnote.
the user i was trying to help had rather clever advanced chord song arrangements and was getting 'anomilies' which i verified. and was tearing my hair out trying to find a good solution...lol... but maybe i missed something.

happy new year.

om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
No problem. You didn't mention this method and it's the older way it's done, so it's easy to overlook. I think the default is to render a single master stereo track so changes have to be made to render individual tracks. Just mentioned it in case it may fit the situation.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
RealBand now uses bbw2_64.exe ver.1005 in C:\bb it used to be in C:\RealBand\Data.
Why can't bbw2_64.exe ver.1005 open the frozen SGU and give all those BB & Utility tracks into RealBand ? it's the same application as bbw_64.exe
I said that Biab should write all the track data to C:\bb\Data\BBoutput.txt of all the current track states.
Realband could read the BBoutput.txt directly into it's tracks as I can with Reaper.
That's why I suggested to have a button in the BBPlugin to do this.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
MCity.

what i grapple with every time i use realband is how deep its feature set is…and what would have happened if a more aggressive development schedule had been adopted
10 years ago. cos there was a golden opportunity to dominate the market.
its only if one makes the effort to dig deeply into rb does one realise its potential.

literally users of music production software (putting my ex marketing hat on)
would have been beating down the doors to buy and use rb with a more aggressive development schedule….
it wouldnt take a lot of manpower resources either.
what i mean is , reaper , for example i understand has always been developed with a couple of developers ?...but with a very aggressive development stance.

what concerns me is, strategically…if a established software company with big bucks
or a new entrant got v aggressive and hired a bunch of musos…bingo !..
having worked in tech…ive seen some big names lose market dominance to well funded and sometimes smaller rivals. (look what happened to IBM in ceding the low end pc market years back.)
eg what would happen if a reaper or studio one or even an apple decided to get into AI//trak auto accompaniement features big time by hiring session musicians in lots of various music genres ? already certain companies offer chord traks. which maybe be a small step…but there are possible implications in the future for pg.

frankly i love to see small companies like pg succeed and reaper etc.
(so the big dogs cant squeeze and collar the market for big bucks….which is good for the poor musicians of the world.)

what i also dont understand is, having talked to pg support staff on occasion ive been very very impressed by the level of tech knowledge exhibited.

so why isnt realband further along ? i just dont understand.

further to my testing deeply this week and in the past of BB >> RB trak transfer it become apparent to me the need for the 'big honking button feature' in biab ive detailed upthread.
cos its so 'fiddly' as it stands imho transferring traks from bb to rb. including features hidden in menus which would not be apparent to particularly new users.
ie 'one must dig'. luckily i'm a digger..lol.

what i dont understand is, with all that obviously deep tech knowledge at pg, …
is it recognised that 'fiddly//hidden stuff' drives users bonkers ?? ..oh well easter egg hunts are coming up..love em' lol.

have a great year MCity.

om

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
RB >> BB is limited to 255 bars and the tracks would have to import as wav as RealBand don't have non destructive editing like Biab now has.

Been there done that:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=267164
Originally Posted By: solidrock
I was speaking to a Music producer in Nashville an I mentioned BIAB, he replied "Myself, I find the user interface to BIAB one of the most confounding, and downright biggest UI messes ever, but that's just me. But... that is a great program in terms of what it can do and those real tracks they use now, sound more realistic than anything anyone has going. It really is fantastic." (he also has friends who have recorded for PG)

Well I don't think he is the only one, this is something we hear most often. I mentioned Realband as how many even know of it's existence ?

I think PG needs to vastly improve and promote RB as a decent DAW that can generate Real Tracks that can be used in this Industry and get away from the Auto Accompaniment of BIAB. It is great to use even 1 or 2 RTs in a session.

PG you need to remove all reminiscent of DOS and make it more solid and reliable so it can compete on the world stage with the other sleek DAWs, what other DAWs can do what RB can do ? not even Cubase Chord Track !

Most in this Industry use DAWs, it would be a no brainer to move to RB.

PG I know you will see the picture and get there eventually, but it just takes soooo long.

Thanks.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research ― Albert Einstein

BIAB drag n drop, drag n drop, drag n drop. . . . to main DAW, oh that don't fit will generate, drag n drop again. .
You can't really record in RB, it needs multitrack record arm for each track for selected input, and draw the wav while recording.
It needs more Node modes so you can still mix while parts are muted.
Yes going to 64 bit will help and yes more RT RD, if they just have DI guitars that will save a lot of space.
They will get there eventually as I said, but yea it takes soooo loooong.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=264355
How many folks even know there is "RealBand"
Everywhere over the net all you see and hear is "Band in a Box" that development priority goes in to.

Updates:
Now RB has still a lot of Bugs.

Realband
RealBand 2014 Build 7 (Feb 27-2014)

Band in a Box
Biab 2014 Build 381 (March 10, 2014)

Biab 2014 Build 383 (July 15, 2014)

Biab 2014 Build 384 (July 18, 2014)

Biab 2014 Build 385 (Sept 25, 2014)

Maybe the guys in their lunch break can have a play with some of the Bugs ?

REAPER

" Refugees Welcome
If you currently use another DAW, you might be reading this because you're contemplating shelling out $150 for the next overhyped version that doesn't address any of the bugs you've been complaining about for five years while adding a bunch of features you couldn't care less about...

Updates:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=258828
Realper

It is a shame that PG can't see how ahead Realband could be over other DAWs if they had better programing on the "junior school" GUI, imagine having an interface like Reaper but being able to generate up realtracks/drums and midi !
PG you need to put more development priority into Realband then we can do everything in the same program, start to finish.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=247201
At the end of the day you are pretty limited to what you can do with Stereo RealDrums, there should be option to generate intros, different endings and fills etc.. there is no button to "Cut Loose" and generate a great drum solo and not be restricted as if playing in a church.
I think soon you will see Super RealDrums that will be Multichannel, do all of this and have a lot more variation to choose from.
They will still of course have Stereo RealDrums for those who don't need or want to venture any further, just as you still have a choice of Midi Drums over RealDrums.

With just this you are limited, don't get me wrong they are great but not the end of the story.

If they had multichannel flac ogg wma that would be great because those how just want stereo drums can leave them as they are and those who want more control can split them to multitrack as you can do in Audacity Cubase Reaper etc..
8_channel_Drums_stems_8channel.wma
8_channel_Drums_stems_8channel.ogg
8_channel_Drums_stems_8channel.flac

8chDrumsWMA.zip
8chDrumsOGG.zip
8chDrumsFLAC.zip

I was just watching "History of The Eagles" Glenn was saying when they recorded in England with Glyn Johns they had no control over the recording or producing. In the States they found Bill Szymczyk and the first thing they asked him was "do you mind if we put a mic on each drum so we have more control over the mix" Bill replied "sure no problem"

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=256886

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This could be RealBand opening a frozen SGU
You could also choose what tracks you want to import from a frozen SGU

Zoom++

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
another poser is if a rb project is already displayed on screen. with say x//xx number of traks already filled eg first 24 traks,,thus the user could be asked i guess 'add
bb traks starting at rb trak 25' ??

I got RB out of storage and was trying it out.
So in Reaper on the right I had the frozen tracks sections from Biab.
I can drag n drop each section into RB.
Reaper is using the source wav files.
RealBand creates new wav files in it's temp folder.

Why can't RB as you say have 24 non destructive tracks the same as Biab that are just for this purpose and work the same way as Biab.
So bbw2 just creates the WAV Instructions for these tracks (or reads from BBoutput.txt of current Biab tracks) that are then written to RAM same as Biab because not everyone has the wav file version that can be played direct as it plays the wav's in it's temp, and only have wma. It might be asking too much to get RB to play the wma direct ?

I post all this info that comes to me how it could be done that PG may or may not use but the issue I keep sensing is PG are working flat out everyday of the year on bbw_64.exe or Band in a Box.app and hardly get any time to do bbw4_64.exe for the Plugin let alone RealBand and bbw2_64.exe I feel like Oliver Twist asking for more.
As I said before if I could program Delphi I would work on it then upload it for you to try, but I can't, I can only do scripting in Reaper and make everything in that.

Zoom++

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
MCity.

as always great ideas. as ive said before i would be 'over the moon' with an all flac bb/rb (or wavpack)song creation environment like reaps for reasons ive explained before.

heres another 'poser'...lol.

many of us here like myself have prolly recorded in the past in a big tape based studio (eg studer etc etc).

it would be lovely to bring the digitised masters of the old tape songs,...do a spleeter thing built into rb//AI...
then record more traks in rb to 'beef up' the old song.
eg in some cases a song might not have been started in bb, but in rb.
eg lets take the powertraks user (which i started on yonks ago) and then moved to rb//bb.

re above maybe such a user wants to add bb traks to a old rb or ptw project...ie not involving bb initially.
OR lets take myself...in the past i might have wanted to
GET A SONG DOWN FAST without testing out rd's//rt's etc.
ie when i'm in a 'crazy creative zone'..lol..i just wanna work fast...set up a clik and whack down a bunch of guitar n' vocal traks...cos this way one gets a quick idea if the song concept is gonna 'fly or not'.

given the above its ok if one works to a 'clik' ..one can often add rt's//rd's after the fact once one has verified
via 'rough quicky demo' song flies and is worth further development. BUT what if one got the song down 'freeform'. n' then wants to add rt's//rd's etc via bb or rb ? its kinda fiddly ive found...but maybe i'm stoopid lol.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/18/23 03:35 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
"as always great ideas. as ive said before i would be 'over the moon' with an all flac bb/rb (or wavpack)song creation environment like reaps for reasons ive explained before. "

I think it's all set it so many ways to work with wav.
The more I think about RB and what I've been through with it, I hang my head frown
I think the Plugin is where the development will be as Adar seems to be quick with that, I think the waiting is for the bb4 side of it like RB has the bb2 side once that's all within the Plugin it will go ahead as a Plugin and the Standalone will be used more so than Biab.

I remember getting tracks off of tape to work with in the DAW but they where multitrack, there were on there for years but came off ok after a lot of cleaning.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Just An…

Yes, good ideas for RB, and we plan on lots of exciting things for RealBand in the future.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,326
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181