Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#749605 01/17/23 10:50 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The experimentation continues with a song a bit edgier than my usual.

Background:
Ever write a song inspired by a memory from your distant past? Here is one memory.

My “crew” and I were just a tad North of puberty and chomping at the bit to explore “the world of adulthood”. One of my chums discovered a girl scout cabin deep in the woods. When he took us there it looked abandoned and there were certainly no girl scouts there. We decided it was a girl scout cabin because it had an outhouse . . . which we never used. So plans were instantly hatched for the upcoming Friday night. Somebody stole a case of beer from a neighbor’s garage and we all showed up at the cabin with bags of potato chips and sacks of candy to kill the taste.

I put my boy scout skills to use and built a fire in the fireplace. We then dared each other to drink more and more in between the singing and stupid dancing we were doing. For most of us, this was our first introduction to beer. Within 2 hours the 5 of us were drunk as skunks and vomiting into the wee hours of the morning. Whenever anyone vomited they became the subject of much laughter from the rest of us; and we all had our turn at being the subject. [I know . . . dumber than dumb on multiple levels.]

When daybreak arrived we all staggered back to our homes for proper hydration and well needed naps. It was a long time before I touched another beer after this experience. This song is inspired by this memory and I always smile with gratitude when I think back as nobody got hurt and we didn’t even burn down the cabin smile

Technicals:
110 BPM

BiaB
RealTracks in song: 1949:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist PopRootsyJohn Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 3358:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritBluesRock Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 4172:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm LatinRock Ev 125
RealTracks in song: 3759:Guitar, Electric, Soloist FusionGrittyBrent Sw16 100
RealTracks in song: 1260:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120
RealDrums in style:BluesRockEv^4-a:Snare, Open HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Me
Electric Bass
Percussive Organ with note bending in the bridge via Korg keyboard
Octave Brass in last two verses via Korg keyboard
Ride Cymbal in last two verses via Studio One Impact XT and 16-Step Sequencer
Crash Cymbal at the end via Studio One Impact XT (this still needs work)

If you listen thanks, and comments welcome particularly on the song structure and the panning applied.

Log Cabin Jam

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I enjoyed your song and the way it keeps building. It keeps our interest by adding your instruments and I liked the big Octave Brass sound. I must try out that Blues Rock style you used - well done.
Regards Dermot

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Cool toe-tappin' tune. Fantastic groove to it and I liked the guitars you chose. I thought the intro sounded a little hollow until the bass came in. As Dermot mentioned, the song really builds well. That note bending organ and brass were a great touch. I thought the structure was fine and the panning was good. It kept me focused in the entire time.

Brad

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Dermot,
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I really like the blues rock in BiaB. It has a crisp and driving force to it.
As for the octave brass, like that too. I wish there was a way to drill down and find out how they produced this voice. I believe 2 oscillators are involved.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Cool toe-tappin' tune. Fantastic groove to it and I liked the guitars you chose. I thought the intro sounded a little hollow until the bass came in. As Dermot mentioned, the song really builds well. That note bending organ and brass were a great touch. I thought the structure was fine and the panning was good. It kept me focused in the entire time.

Brad

Thanks for the review Brad. The note bending was achieved using the X-Y joystick on the keyboard. I think when you pull all the way right you get a note a fifth higher than the original note and when you push all the way left you get a fifth lower. It's also velocity sensitive and transitions from note to note very smoothly. This may have been the first I recorded its use in a song.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nicely done BT.
I was waiting for a vocal to come in.

Vic

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very cool tune and arrangement...great selection of instrumentation...love the guitar solos...once I heard the piano riffs I wanted more...great listen and super construction of the BiaB tracks!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
If you listen thanks, and comments welcome particularly on the song structure and the panning applied.

Howdy BT....

The composition itself I think is fine.
Straight forward and easy to like.
Probably a good backing track for the lead players too.

The "panning"....I'm not a fan of the hard panning of lead tradeoffs and they are slightly uneven to my aural receptors.
It's a bit distracting and I think it's totally unnecessary.
If that's a must for your creative purposes I would (at most) pan them at 11:00 & 1:00 or 10:00 & 2:00.
With the limited instrumentation (I'm not hearing keys), and if it were my choice, I would pan the rhythm guitar at 2:00 and all the leads at 10:00....or vice versa.
I'd but the bass at 12:00.

You have a good cut here and this would be my quite subjective opinion.
Which, of course, you can ignore totally smile.
I do hope that helps....

(EDIT: firesong heard piano riffs which I didn't for some reason.
It that's the case I'd go 10:00 & 2:00 with the rhythm guitar & piano and all leads at 12:00)

Back to it....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 01/19/23 10:32 AM.
vicarn #749907 01/19/23 10:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Nicely done BT.
I was waiting for a vocal to come in.

Vic

Thanks Vic, how I wish I could sing . . . like you gifted guys and gals !! crazy

BiaB 2024 Windows
firesong #749909 01/19/23 10:53 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: firesong
Very cool tune and arrangement...great selection of instrumentation...love the guitar solos...once I heard the piano riffs I wanted more...great listen and super construction of the BiaB tracks!

Thanks fs, I too am loving the VERY talented piano players PG Music has hired.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966

Howdy BT....

The composition itself I think is fine.
Straight forward and easy to like.
Probably a good backing track for the lead players too.

The "panning"....I'm not a fan of the hard panning of lead tradeoffs and they are slightly uneven to my aural receptors.
It's a bit distracting and I think it's totally unnecessary.
If that's a must for your creative purposes I would (at most) pan them at 11:00 & 1:00 or 10:00 & 2:00.
With the limited instrumentation (I'm not hearing keys), and if it were my choice, I would pan the rhythm guitar at 2:00 and all the leads at 10:00....or vice versa.
I'd but the bass at 12:00.

You have a good cut here and this would be my quite subjective opinion.
Which, of course, you can ignore totally smile.
I do hope that helps....

(EDIT: firesong heard piano riffs which I didn't for some reason.
It that's the case I'd go 10:00 & 2:00 with the rhythm guitar & piano and all leads at 12:00)

Back to it....

Hey chulaivet, thanks for your good inputs. I will try to implement them in future songs.
FWIW, Guitar 3 was panned Hard Right and Guitar 4 was panned L66, everything else had zero panning. The thinking was I wanted to seperate the 2 guitars so they wouldn't be confused as the same guitar. I do agree that the panning was a bit prominent but I thought that's what people like. I too prefer less prominence so that the blend is more central. There is probably a whole science behind this topic.

As for the BiaB piano riff that you didn't hear, it's short and begins at 1:40. There is also an organ riff at the same time that I am playing. But the organ may have too much volume which stepped on the piano too much. For any instrument I play I lean towards increasing the volume at least a little for 2 reasons 1) I hope others can give good critiscm on my playing and 2) when I'm "old" and my hearing begins to fail I'm hoping that I'll still be able to hear the parts I played.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
[quote=chulaivet1966]I'm "old" and my hearing begins to fail I'm hoping that I'll still be able to hear the parts I played.

Ha....grab an oar....we're in the same boat. I'm 76 this year...whew. smile

The panning....I think you'd arrive at acceptable separation with most panning at appr. 8:00 & 4:00 or 9:00 & 3:00.
I'd start with 10:00 & 2:00 then use your ears to decide.
As a rule, in the song writing context, I just don't think Hard panning is necessary or appealing from my POV.

Glad you accepted my points as I intended.

Back to it....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 01/19/23 11:44 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice sound... feels a bit like I fell into the 60's or something. wink

The piano bits sounded a bit more up front than anything else, but I'm listening to my monitors instead of headphones.

Interesting story, fun listen!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Needs vocals grin

I think it's a good song and a pleasant listen. It builds nicely and I always expected a singer to join the band.

It's funny that there are instrumentals that are supposed to have a singer and others don't.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like your story, Steve, but there didn't seem to be "the happy ending" you guys were expecting. When I read your title, I was expecting a cool jam in a wintry cabin. Man, imagine a jam like that with all the musicians this program has to offer. You chose very well. Really nice build starting with the guitar, then bring in the bass followed closely by the rest of the rhythm section. Then the first soloist comes in on the right, soon followed by another on the left. The piano takes center stage and fades behind the guitars. This is just like a good jam. Then you WOW us bringing in the horn section who, up until this time, were hidden in the shadows to the back of the stage. Yeah, really good mix and a very enjoyable jam.

Funny... the other day I heard a bunch of girls about your age giggling about how they had a night of free beer and got to see a bunch of guys really making fools of themselves back at scout camp.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Steve,

Your memories of that beer drinking bunch of boys, waiting to meet the girls (I thought) is a very nice one.
about the drinking experiences I think most of us will have their story on that.
Mine would be a little different than yours, but at the end I wasn't sober anymore.

a good song, a very nice solo, but -to be honest- like Vic I had hoped the vocals came in somewhere.
But that's because I like vocals in a song.
Now I read you can't sing, but have you tried it? Who knows? Some here at the forum also had no idea they could sing, but it turned out they could!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
dcuny #750037 01/20/23 06:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice sound... feels a bit like I fell into the 60's or something. wink

Thanks David, I guess it does have a 60s feel. If so it wasn't intentional.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Needs vocals grin
I think it's a good song and a pleasant listen. It builds nicely and I always expected a singer to join the band.

It's funny that there are instrumentals that are supposed to have a singer and others don't.

Thanks BD. Now that you mention it I guess it could use vocals.
If you sing, let's collaborate.

BiaB 2024 Windows
BabuMusic #750040 01/20/23 06:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
I like your story, Steve, but there didn't seem to be "the happy ending" you guys were expecting. When I read your title, I was expecting a cool jam in a wintry cabin. Man, imagine a jam like that with all the musicians this program has to offer. You chose very well. Really nice build starting with the guitar, then bring in the bass followed closely by the rest of the rhythm section. Then the first soloist comes in on the right, soon followed by another on the left. The piano takes center stage and fades behind the guitars. This is just like a good jam. Then you WOW us bringing in the horn section who, up until this time, were hidden in the shadows to the back of the stage. Yeah, really good mix and a very enjoyable jam.

Funny... the other day I heard a bunch of girls about your age giggling about how they had a night of free beer and got to see a bunch of guys really making fools of themselves back at scout camp.

Hey Marty, you are a HOOT !! We certainly wished that bunch of girls magically showed up that night, but alas, the truth must be told. They were no where to be found frown

But back to music. Thanks for your indepth review. The "message" I intended to transmit in this arrangement is exactly what you recieved. This is one of the many things that makes music so cooool, that it can actually communicate! Keep thumping, singing, writing and arranging man.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Birchwood #750041 01/20/23 06:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Steve,

Your memories of that beer drinking bunch of boys, waiting to meet the girls (I thought) is a very nice one.
about the drinking experiences I think most of us will have their story on that.
Mine would be a little different than yours, but at the end I wasn't sober anymore.

a good song, a very nice solo, but -to be honest- like Vic I had hoped the vocals came in somewhere.
But that's because I like vocals in a song.
Now I read you can't sing, but have you tried it? Who knows? Some here at the forum also had no idea they could sing, but it turned out they could!

Hans

Hey Hans, we weren't waiting for the girls because the cabin looked abandoned. BUT, being a crew of normal, healthy post-puberty males with hormones rushing from head to toe we certainly would not have shooed them away if they had showed up. As a matter of fact, most conversations were either about girls, music or sports . . . in that order. Regarding that night I guess one could say

No sugar tonight in my coffee
No sugar tonight in my tea
No sugar to stand beside me
No sugar to run with me
smile

Regarding the vocals, the best I can muster is the ooohs and aaahs in the background. But I do agree, vocals would be nice. Maybe somebody will express interest in collaborating at some point.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,539
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040
38,531 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173