Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
RE COMPANIES WITH POOR APPROACHES TO DOING BUSINESS.
(maybe we need a consumer revolt ?...lol.)

is it only me ? or do other pg users find its a hassle/frustrating often installing a tech product after purchase ?

example of poor biz practice (then i'll give an example of good practice.)

1..my wife got a new printer for her pc. now remember we are both pretty tech savvy.
(but i'm thinking of the elderly purchasing a tech product.)
2..heres examples of bad biz practice.
..only seemed support was by email..couldnt find a support tel no anywhere on the web site.
(i LAUD PG for having real people we can call and talk to.). when i worked in tech same as pg we had real people for a user to talk to.
..it took my wife 2 hours to figure out how to get the darn thing up n' running.
why cant one just unpack the product , plug it in, blah blah easy driver install..done in 20 minutes no hassle. how the hey is an elderly person supposed to fig out a complex install ?

from now on i'm not buying products unless i can talk to a support person during install
if its a complex install as this was.
now lets compare with good biz practices.

1..when i got reaper first yonks ago i didnt need tel support cos the thing was such a doddle to install. literally i was up n' running in 2 secs flat , and recording songs.
no install probs unlike the printer.
(i think in all the years ive had reaps ive only needed 1 question answered , and it was answered via the forum rapidly. i must say when i first got powertraks yonks ago , same…up recording fast.)
2..heres a grrreat install experience viz ..my new ryzen mini pc i got recently.
(i was a tad worried cos i had never dealt with the company before..but for the stupid low price and the fact i could return to amazon in 30 days i felt i couldnt complain.)
WELL..gee whizz i was amazed. obviously this company had thought about things. literally i unboxed the little thing, plugged it in…it booted into win 11 in no time flat and i was off to the races installing my bb/rb/reaps programs. blazing fast no bloatware likkle pc.
in summary i'm absolutely thrilled with it as it saved me buying an exotic 2k custom built pc for music production. but i dont know bout its longivity..but for the few hundred buks i paid i really cant complain. (i'm now full bore in on mini pc's n' m2 ssd's also.)

finally does this bug you too ??

all these companies selling to us consumers these days blah blah want us to follow all these instructions // net register // set up an account // its endless.
what about if ones pc aint on the net ? so theres no possibility of getting hacked ??
even the darn financial institutions are trying to push everyone to use the net.
its like all these companies want to exert some measure of control on their clients//users.

lol...dont even get me going about companies with a biz model to squeeze/get monthly fees out of us to pad their cash flow and control our lives.
being a cockney lad i simply refuse to buy from any company with this biz model.

be interested in opinions.

happiness to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/18/23 07:00 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I recently had the printer issue. Bought a brand-new HP from Amazon. Went through all the quick card steps to get it going, it was dead. This printer simply had a bad firmware on it which kept restarting the initial Hello World status. Since it was in that status, I couldn't connect it to the web to update that firmware. So I had a brick. Could I find any U.S. based live support? Nope. Returned it to Amazon's return junk pile and got my money back. Ticked me off so much I haven't bought another printer. Living without.

These companies made this mess, we're stuck with it. Profits are more important than quality and service. That's why everything is disposable, built in obsolescence.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Steve.
I LAUD YOU...GOOD FOR YOU !!

we need to stop being treated like likkle sheep ready for the shearing.
ps I LOVE M2 !! hows your set up going ??

respect.

om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
ps I LOVE M2 !! hows your set up going ??

It is going well. I installed the dual M2 2Tb sticks as a 4Tb C:\ OS drive. From your M2 post you will see with my set up it took a lot of pass/fail combinations to get it to work. In my case I had to set the drives as a RAID controller in BIOS.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled7.jpg (11.52 KB, 181 downloads)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Flat pack furniture is something that gets to me, takes a while to figure it out.

Companies who miss-advertise to sell something that they know is not true is another.

At the moment Youtube is full of ads for overpriced heaters that promise to heat your room at a fraction of the cost of conventional heating, all cashing in on cost of living crisis.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe the AI robots will resolve all this and return us to quality and service.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In 2023, where every business on the planet conforms to a business model where customers don't matter because they have too many already, it will get worse rather than better. The gods of the bottom line say to employ as few people as absolutely necessary, to not publish a phone number (and since there are no quality tech people there anyway, what does it matter?) and hide behind Amazon so their identity is as close to invisible as possible. You have people buying palates of returns and reselling then through their Amazon store, selling untested merchandise with the attitude of "Sue me if you want to. It will cost you way more to sue me than the cost of the item I hooked you on."

And that is customer service v2023 in a nutshell. That handful of people that DO care, PG among them, are stellar, but they are the 1% of the sellers out there. Reselling mass produced made in China merchandise rather than get a real job. Often because they are uneducated and not capable of doing anything else but scamming people. I have been VERY fortunate that every bad buying experience was resolved in my favor.

@steve - Don't you have stores where you live where you can go buy a printer, thus having a place to return it if it flops? I mean, I KNOW where you live and I probably passed 5 places between the motel and your house. My last printer, an HP laser came from Staples, JUST so I could return it if I had to.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/18/23 09:33 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Preach it Eddie! +1

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
@steve - Don't you have stores where you live where you can go buy a printer, thus having a place to return it if it flops?

Yes I do, sir. The whole Amazon thing didn't cost me a cent either. They automatically provide return labels on gear purchases like that. The printer I picked was one of their "Best Seller" HP printers so they probably DGAF if they get an occasional return.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have an HP Laser Jet M203dw that has never failed me in 4-ish years. I print very little so toner lasts me forever. I like to do the NY Times crossword so I print one every morning. $169 at Amazon right now, and fulfillment is actually by HP rather than "Printin' Pete's Printer Palace". Which I assume operates out of a van parked in a Walmart in Enid Oklahoma so it can steal wifi...

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Printin' Pete's Printer Palace". Which I assume operates out of a van parked in a Walmart in Enid Oklahoma so it can steal wifi...

Hey, that's where mine had come from....... I'll check out the other one too.

That old printer order was also from the 'official HP store'. It was an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978.

Steve

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
do the following also bug other people as they do me ?

1..car oil changes every few thousand miles.
every car one looks at has this 'ya gotta pay feature' lol. we can send people to space but we cant design a car that has longer times tween oil changes ? really ??
from talking to people ive known in the car industry , they tell me its another little 'cash flow earner'.
what about 'car delivery charges' ?
it seems even if a buyer was to live right near the car manufacturing plant…still they would pay a big delivery charge.

2..our houses.
do we ever really own a house if a third party can impose fees//taxes on it ? bearing in mind people scrimp all their lives to pay off a mortgage. seems to me we are just leasers.
is there a better alternative to fund services that doesnt hit people that often cant afford it due to changed job//financial circumstances ?
heres also a bit of 'hilarity'...not….. our water bill has a fixed charge each month which isnt peanuts…so..lol…even if i never take a bath or shower to try n' save water costs …yep still gonna pay the fixed monthly charge. same game with other utilities.
all this stuff hits the poor as always. aint there a better way ??

3..usb dongles.
one reason i got into powertraks (superb low cost product PG…!!) n' reaper (also superb…)...yonks ago for music production was not only their depth of features but i had seen other people dealing with usb dongles. no dongles with pg products and same for reaps thankfully. this is how to do good business imho. thus i was happy to pay just over a hundred buks for reaps n' powertraks.

4..the 'gogglebox tv'.
there is a new over the air standard coming.
from our tests already with a cheapo antenna we can get a load of channels…so we are thinking of 'cutting the cord' cos what bugs wife n' i is every year the tv service seems to go thru' an increase…sigh…these increasesc bug me.

feel free to state your 'bugs'.

happiness to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/19/23 04:28 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hey om, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today grin

1-oil - IF your car is out of warranty AND you are using 100% synthetic oil then you can change your oil only when it is dirty. The same is true of all your machinery that uses synthetic oil. If your car is under warranty then you should change the oil as they dictate if you want to keep your warranty.

2-our houses- Here we only pay for what we use. PS please don't stop taking showers grin

3-dongles-Yep they are a pain but even Waves and i-Lock have computer storage options. But I have to admit those wireless mouse and keyboard dongles are really nice

4-TV-I have little choice when it comes to TV. It is cable, dish, or local antenna. The local antenna is useless where I live.

Calm down and have a nice day cool

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Mario.

1… re woke up on bad side of bed…HA HA HA !! LMAO.
love your comedy and your sigs..just showed the wife your latest sig…
we roared with laughter. nah …we are both 'happy go lucky' people.
just occasionally i get a bill that bugs me with stoopid stuff.
(lol..maybe i'm a tad sad cos my uk soccer team the hammers (whufc)..
is in the relegation zone in the uk premier league.)

2…your latest song gobsmacked me mate. ya gotta find a way to get these amazing soundscapes you create to tv n' film production houses/companies.

respect n' have a wonderful happy 2023.

om.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
do the following also bug other people as they do me ?

1..car oil changes every few thousand miles.

I've used synthetic oil for years and always have it changed within the service interval.
With my turbocharged car, the garage used to laugh at me for that, but did it anyway (I had to supply the oil). Only after it had passed the "the turbo usally fails after..." by several 10s of thousands of miles did they take me seriously. It takes avoiding only one big repair bill to make it worth it.

3..usb dongles.

Yep, I hate them. They always get broken.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
K
Journeyman
Journeyman
K
Listened to every one of them. Loved them all.... And love the accent..

Kajun Jeaux

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Gordon, I can't even remember the last time I broke a USB drive, but it was before I stopped buying the kind that is 3 inches long and switched to stubbies. Sometimes though when I wanted a lot of storage I had to buy the bigger size. But my keyboard, mouse and a 256gb thumb drive are all this type.

As to the original rant, as long as your car has an engine with metal parts that rub against each other, you will need oil, and that oil will get dirty, and it needs to be changed. That's physics and there's not a lot to do about it. You are welcome to live without water, electricity, natural gas, home and fire insurance, any of the many options for TV viewing, even food if you like. That will leave just your mortgage. For me, I want fairly fast internet, so I pay $80 a month for it. My internet provider is also my TV provider and I pay $57 a month for that. As much time as I spend on the internet and as much as I watch TV I am glad to pay it.

Note that my particular view of money is unique. I care nothing about saving money. I don't even have a savings account. I bring money in, I send money out. I buy my toys, I buy food, I pay utilities. I budget so I have a certain amount of "walkin' around money" left over. I do use my credit cards from everything but I only use 5% of my available credit. I don't remember the last time I had actual money in my pocket. If I die in debt, so be it. Are they going to hold my ashes hostage until somebody pays my debts? I have watched too many people who wanted to be the richest corpse in the graveyard and lived really dull lives where they deny themselves what others (me) consider basic needs. I have nobody to leave anything to when I die, which I anticipate is 5-6 or so years away.

This right here is a specific consideration that I am fortunate to have available. I have had people tell me they work well beyond retirement because they are concerned about a major medical event. I don't have to worry about that. In exchange for 3 years of my young life the nice people at the VA have clinics and hospitals that will treat me for free, so I have no concern about that. I am blessed and fortunate to have that available to me, or I would have had to work until I die.

Life is good as long as you are on the green side of the sod, man. There are people in the world who love being miserable and choose to live in a world where it rains every day. Don't go out looking for rain! If you try, you'll find it.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Gordon, I can't even remember the last time I broke a USB drive, but it was before I stopped buying the kind that is 3 inches long and switched to stubbies.

The problem for me with dongles is that they're present and sticking out all of the time. I don't use memory sticks like that ... I use them, I demount them, I stick them back in the draw.

A have a dongle for vArranger, which dongle is only around 1 1/4 inches long, but it had to stick out of the side of my notebad PC. It was damaged withing three weeks, though I can't now remember how. It's taped up with insulating tape and does still work.

I've had dongles in the past at work and sooner of later someone catches them as they walk past or leans on them or kicks them if they're in a floor-standing tower or puts a book or box on them or whatever. I avoid them when I can.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The ones I use stick out less than 1/2". Here's a pic of them in a computer.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have a Bluetooth stick that size and it's just fine.
Dongles that size should also be OK.

My other nuisance in this case, though, is that I then want at least a licence dongle, the Bluetooth dongle, my Focusrite and my keyboard all plugged in at the same time, and my notepad has only three USB ports, so I also need a hub. Sigh.

So much stuff is now on USB that my desktop PC has two 7-port hubs attached and in both are use :-(

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,351
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.