Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Anybody able to help me with troubleshooting an audio issue?

I have a Tascam 208i Interface connected to a Win 11 computer with Studio One version 5.

Below is a guitar stem exported from BiaB and dragged into S1. I believe this is a stereo track but when I listen to it with headphones and pan hard right I get no audio at all. When panned Center or left I do hear audio.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

--Steve

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 64.jpg (69.66 KB, 117 downloads)

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
The waveform pic looks like it may have panning info drawn on it. Can you remove that and try again?

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
.....also, it looks like it has two headphone jacks. Have you tried each one? What happens if you run the audio outputs to speakers?

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
The waveform pic looks like it may have panning info drawn on it. Can you remove that and try again?

Hi Steve . . . great name smile
Yes the green line is a panning automation line. When the panning line is dragged upward you increase the left channel, when dragged downward you increase the right channel. Not sure what you mean about removing it other than to display the volume automation instead, in which case the problem behaivor is the same.

Also, good thinking about the dual headphone jacks and the speakers. I tried each headphone jack on the Tascam and they both exhibit the same problem. The Tascam also has a monitor balance knob, which is always set vertical.

And when I listen with the JBL monitors, once again, same behaivor; when I pan hard right I get no audio.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
Can you play music out of any other app normally, like an .mp3 or YouTube channel?

Steve

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Steve, in the process of blindly hunting and pecking I think I solved the problem.
Below is a screenshot of the Tascam software. For years I have had everything set to "Computer 1" on this screen and "life was good", no detectable problems. Until others in the showcase started noticing that my bass recordings were not centered in the stereo field. I too want the bass centered.

So just as a what-if I set Line Out 2 to "Computer 2" and my left and right channels on the headphones and monitors are now working. The manual doesn't address these details. My brain would actually think Master L and Master R would be the proper settings. Go figure.

The possible settings for these Line Outs are many:
Input 1 - Input 4
OPT A1 - OPT A8
OPT B1 - OPT B8
Master L
Master R
Aux 1 - Aux 4 and
Computer 1 - Computer 10

Of course the "3-legs of the stool" here are the Tascam, Studio One and Windows 11; and possibly the sound card. Lots of hardware and software.

Tomorrow I'll verify this solution with my bass recording. Hopefully I'll have victory but something tells me that making this change is going to affect something else . . . we'll see.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 65.jpg (209.84 KB, 96 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
FWIW I'm still having recording problems.

When I create an audio track in Studio One to record my bass, the only way I can get a signal into S1 to record is if the track is set to stereo even if upon creating the track I told it I want mono. If the track is set to mono I can't record. And when it is set to stereo my bass is recorded on the Left side with nothing on the right side.

Below is a screen shot of a few seconds of recorded bass.

In addition to me not being an expert in S1 or the Tascam this is looking like either
a. Studio One is not configured properly or
b. Studio One and the Tascam are not "playing together nicely"

Screenshot 66.jpg (40.91 KB, 75 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
BT.

my best recommendation is to do the following so people can help you.

1..describe your signal flow into the tascam from the moment the signal leaves the output jack of your bass gtr. going direct into input of tasc OR via bass amp ?
including cables used. mono or stereo anywhere in the chain ?
2..i assume your tasc has a control panel…post a pic of its settings and the same for your global S1 settings as well as a pic of your trak settings that the bass is being recorded to.

lets start there. a pic of the front panel of the tasc for input of bass signal would be usefull also.
(note i'm a tad vision impaired to see the pics youve posted so far...thus maybe someone can look at em' and comment.)

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/11/23 06:52 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Here is the best i can do at this time. Good Luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
It appears that you do not have your DAW incorrectly with your audio interface. How to set it up is in the docs under audio.

Attached is a picture of my set up. As you can see I have the stereo audio inputs set up three ways, one stereo, one mono left channel, and one mono right channel. I have the same set up for all 10 stereo inputs. When I plug into an audio input I get the identical settings as you see here in my audio one input.

I hope this helps.

1 - my set up.jpg (69.69 KB, 59 downloads)
1-mono input.jpg (84.29 KB, 59 downloads)

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
BT.

my best recommendation is to do the following so people can help you.

1..describe your signal flow into the tascam from the moment the signal leaves the output jack of your bass gtr. going direct into input of tasc OR via bass amp ?
including cables used. mono or stereo anywhere in the chain ?
2..i assume your tasc has a control panel…post a pic of its settings and the same for your global S1 settings as well as a pic of your trak settings that the bass is being recorded to.

lets start there. a pic of the front panel of the tasc for input of bass signal would be usefull also.
(note i'm a tad vision impaired to see the pics youve posted so far...thus maybe someone can look at em' and comment.)

best

om

This problem was first identified and discussed in this thread

But Dan correctly noted that this is more appropriately dealt with here. There are screen shots and discussion at the original thread; too much to duplicate. But regarding the signal chain here is what I decribed in the original thread.

My bass guitar is connected to my 40W bass amp. There is a 3-prong XLR Line Out on the amp that is connected to Channel 1 of the TASCAM 208i Interface. The Interface is connected to my Win 11 computer via USB cable. I'd have all the other instrument tracks in a Studio One (ver 5) session. I then create an empty instrument track for my bass. I don't remember it giving me an option to select stereo or mono. After setting my gains to not go red I arm the bass track and hit Record in the Transport bar. All the other tracks play thru the monitors and I hear my bass playing thru the amp. I then jam along to the "band" I've created and my bass is recorded.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Here is the best i can do at this time. Good Luck.

Dan,
If I had Reaper I probably wouldn't be having this problem.
But thanks for taking the time to record that video.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
It appears that you do not have your DAW incorrectly with your audio interface. How to set it up is in the docs under audio.

Attached is a picture of my set up. As you can see I have the stereo audio inputs set up three ways, one stereo, one mono left channel, and one mono right channel. I have the same set up for all 10 stereo inputs. When I plug into an audio input I get the identical settings as you see here in my audio one input.

I hope this helps.

You may have identified the problem Mario.
I will check my S1 audio settings . . .

BiaB 2024 Windows
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
BT.
(i'm just watching uk soccer here on us nbc tv so excuse me if i'm wrong.)

have you tried the following ?
(only try after marios suggestion.)

1. set the S1 trak to mono.
2. bypass the bass amp n' use high impedence input of tasc (assuming tasc has one ?)

if things work ok with above then i suspect the xlr connection tween bass amp and tasc input.
but i might be wrong.

just as a wild idea...does the same problem occur with other daws ? eg maybe try pg realband or audacity ?
if the problem goes away then i suspect it's a setting
in S1.
i'm just trying to troubleshoot mate.
sooo..please dont 'yap' at moi.

best

om
ps mario ..as always your new sig gave wife n' i a hoot.
have a great 2023 mario.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 02/11/23 08:58 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I think I can finally take a victory lap, take off my computer operator hat and put back on my amature muscian hat again!

"Captain" Mario put me on the right path of examining my Studio One settings. So I watched an Obedia video on the subject and learned that the factory settings I've been using for 4 or so years was the culprit.

Big thanks to Mario and everyone else who helped. Including those that noticed that my bass recordings were not centered.

--Steve

PS> If anyone from Presonas is listening in, I can help you write a better users manual for this subject.

Audio Input Settings.jpg (131.11 KB, 41 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Congratulations!

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Anybody want to collab on my next song?

It's called M's On Your Diagonal laugh

Hey hey, my, my
Life is too short for you to cry
With M's on your diagonal, life is great
Call Captain Mario before it's too late!

BiaB 2024 Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
"Captain" Mario ..............

You do not want me as your captain. The last time I captained a boat it went on a three hour tour........a three hour tour wink

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
It's OK little buddy.....

gilligan.jpg (59.89 KB, 23 downloads)

Steve

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario is either the Captain or the Professor . . . definately NOT Gilligan !

BiaB 2024 Windows
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,640
Posts735,355
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.