Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#753384 02/12/23 09:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Background
Here is an experiment attempting to write a "2 chord wonder" about math (if that's even possible). I'm not sure what genre I would place this in, the style just emerged. But while developing it, memories of my college days came to me. My wife rolls her eyes and says "Only you could write a poem about polynomials and splines."

And finally, my bass should now be centered . . . hopefully wink

Technicals
BiaB:
Key=Em , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=3:22

Loop in Song: Chillout\Chillout - destiny_71_drum_loop_b_minor ev16.wav
RealTracks in style: 2885:Piano, Electric, Rhythm FusionSlow16thsJeff Ev16 100
Loop in Song: Chillout\Chillout - autumn_82_percussion_e_minor ev16.wav
RealTracks in song: 705:Flute, Soloist Bossa Ev 140 (Bluesy)
RealDrums in style:FusionSlowEvDanny^01-a:Ride , b:Busy Ride

Me:
Bass Guitar
Studio One Sequencer
Korg Synth Voices
Korg Arpeggiated Strings

Math

Poem
Since a child I have always liked math
It was right up there with riding my bike and the Saturday night bath

In high school it was Number Lines, Algebra and the oh so fun Geometry
This is where I got my first “A” . . . hooray hooray for me !

In college it was 3 semesters of Calculus and two of Diff EQ
Back then I didn’t see how any of this could benefit me or you

But once I immersed myself in my chosen career
I could finally see how math is relevant and dear

From Morse Code and land lines and the phone in your pocket
To my childhood spider bike, the school bus and the most powerful rocket

Polynomials, Splines, Tangents and the Graph
This new found power would become my new craft

Math was my servant and that was my plan
Just like the pencil, slide rule, calculator and FORTRAN

And serve me it did with elegance and style
Together we solved many problems that brought many a smile

Medical devices, satellites, flight controls and avionics
Were a few of my domains including electronics

Clean and pure, useful, precise
And with stochastic methods, could explain the dice

“God does not care about our mathematical difficulties, He integrates empirically”
This was stated by the genius Albert E.

And zero was conceived by the Babylonians historians say
Adding an important lane to our computational highway

It’s in your food, in the air and the water you drink
The plants, the fish and your own kitchen sink

Math and music are cousins some claim
And both are language but of different fame

The girl you met has 2 of this and 10 of that
When Eve met Adam she had not even a hat

Lovely curves and symmetry galore
So much to love, so much to explore

If God Himself seems to favor 7
I wonder just how much other math there might be in Heaven

Discovered or invented is a question I ponder
Perhaps it’s best left as a mystery in the far off yonder

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Bass Thumper #753435 02/12/23 05:18 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bass in centred!
You're REALLY moving ahead in leaps & bounds with bass playing and composition.
Your melodies have taken a leap also.
Well done.
On a vaguely relevant note in Australia & most other Commonwealth linked countries we use the term "maths" as an abbreviation of mathematics rather than the slowly enveloping "math".
I was hopeless at it in school...I was studying the lowest available level for my high school finals and the teacher suggested I drop a level...that translates to dropping out as not maths = no higher school certificate.
I learned to like it after learning to teach it.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
rayc #753436 02/12/23 05:55 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Bass in centred!
You're REALLY moving ahead in leaps & bounds with bass playing and composition.
Your melodies have taken a leap also.
Well done.
On a vaguely relevant note in Australia & most other Commonwealth linked countries we use the term "maths" as an abbreviation of mathematics rather than the slowly enveloping "math".
I was hopeless at it in school...I was studying the lowest available level for my high school finals and the teacher suggested I drop a level...that translates to dropping out as not maths = no higher school certificate.
I learned to like it after learning to teach it.

Yep, I agree. Here in the States, we say "math" as the abbreviation. And the "Brits" prefer "maths" which actually makes more sense because what we're abbreviating here is mathematics, not mathematic. That said, one normally adheres to one's cultural etymologies even if they make less sense than some other culture's linguistic standards.

And although the poem is auto-biographical, I still had interest in shennigans like that expressed in the girl scout cabin story.

Thanks for the listen and positive review; I wonder what genre one would place this in.

And life is so much better when all your "M"s are on the diagonal wink

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Bass Thumper #753455 02/13/23 02:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bass Thumper,

You have all your issues sorted it seems, Bass sounds great!

To quote Ray: "You're REALLY moving ahead in leaps & bounds with bass playing and composition."

I couldn't agree more, it's remarkable how far you have come in such a short period of time.

Good song, composition, and mix.

Good poem!

"Just like the pencil, slide rule, calculator and FORTRAN" brought back memories, I still have a couple of slide rules here. Personal calculators were not a thing until after I had already left school.

Bass Thumper #753477 02/13/23 07:10 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

A nice piece of music.
Interesting selection of tracks.
A lot of nice "today" elements to the production.
Nicely mixed.
Your Bass sounds great.

fj

BlueAttitude #753481 02/13/23 07:22 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Bass Thumper,

You have all your issues sorted it seems, Bass sounds great!

To quote Ray: "You're REALLY moving ahead in leaps & bounds with bass playing and composition."

I couldn't agree more, it's remarkable how far you have come in such a short period of time.

Good song, composition, and mix.

Good poem!

"Just like the pencil, slide rule, calculator and FORTRAN" brought back memories, I still have a couple of slide rules here. Personal calculators were not a thing until after I had already left school.

Hey Dave, thanks for the review. I HOPE I'm progressing, I've been at this "bass thing" for 7 years !

Truth be told I'm inspired by and learn from the many talented creatives here.

And dust off those old slip sticks once in a while, they'll bring back memories smile

BiaB 2024 Windows
Bass Thumper #753489 02/13/23 08:51 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
1: Bass is centered: good
2: Bass playing and groove: great
3: Lyrics are lacking big times: no prime numbers, no π (except in Piano), no complex numbers, etc.: bummer

2 out of 3 are good or better => I like your song grin cool

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
floyd jane #753518 02/13/23 11:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Steve,

A nice piece of music.
Interesting selection of tracks.
A lot of nice "today" elements to the production.
Nicely mixed.
Your Bass sounds great.

fj

Hey fj, thanks for the positive review.
I still can't believe that I'm a part of the team with you and the other big dogs.
I'm just a youngster trying to pull my share of the sled called creativity.

I wonder if the scenery for anyone else isn't changing. laugh

BiaB 2024 Windows
B.D.Thomas #753521 02/13/23 11:22 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
1: Bass is centered: good
2: Bass playing and groove: great
3: Lyrics are lacking big times: no prime numbers, no π (except in Piano), no complex numbers, etc.: bummer

2 out of 3 are good or better => I like your song grin cool

Hey BD, many thanks for the feedback.

I had to clearout some cobwebs and would have been challenged to include this in the poem. smile

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
A Little Math for BD.jpg (96.83 KB, 82 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Bass Thumper #753553 02/13/23 03:42 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hm, definitely a different style. Yep, not sure of the style nether, but makes no difference. I liked it anyway.

Cheers

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Bass Thumper #753612 02/14/23 04:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You definitely earned an A+ with this one, Steve. Such a treat for the ears. Man, I love how you arranged it. Those flute fills are perfect. Man, your bass sounds absolute amazing. What a great feel.

I also like math(s). I'm on page 1321 of the Fibonacci sequence. smile Ok. here's one. Write down any random series of numbers. Make sure to write them down so you can check them later. Let's use 56187825 (randomly typed) as an example. Add the individual numbers together, like 5+6+1+8 etcetera. The sum is 42. Subtract the sum from the random number and the result is always exactly divisible by 9. Why? In this case it's 56187825-42=56187783, which divided by 9 is exactly 6243087.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
Bass Thumper #753629 02/14/23 08:33 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice Bass work and production Thumper! I never was any good at math, so the words are way over this poor boy's head, but 2 +2 = good in this equation!

Brad

Bass Thumper #753631 02/14/23 09:00 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Math and music, both are intriguing and fun. Sounds like a fractal, like a Mandelbrot set, interesting and simple at the same time. Those synth voices and the flute create a magical feeling. And the bass playing together with the piano bring this back to Earth level for a moment. Very nice pop tune, more on the minor chord side, but I still enjoyed it, although math was one of the most positive things for me at school. The poem is nice also, maybe it could be spoken softly in the background?

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Bass Thumper #753664 02/14/23 01:00 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bass is really good.
That was fun to jam along with.

Peter

Bass Thumper #753672 02/14/23 01:59 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, you have come a long way with you compositions, bass lines, and melody lines.
Yes, the bass is in the center.
Great mix also.

Keep up the great work.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Bass Thumper #753702 02/14/23 04:30 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bass Thumper,
Neat chill tune. Very good arrangement for "two chord wonder" smile Sweet flutes! Good mix and listens well.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Fun poem.

cubanpete #753795 02/15/23 02:04 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hm, definitely a different style. Yep, not sure of the style nether, but makes no difference. I liked it anyway.

Cheers

Mike B.

Thanks Mike, I'm thinking it's some kind of progressive rock fusion or some such.
But I'm just guessing.

BiaB 2024 Windows
BabuMusic #753801 02/15/23 02:18 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
You definitely earned an A+ with this one, Steve. Such a treat for the ears. Man, I love how you arranged it. Those flute fills are perfect. Man, your bass sounds absolute amazing. What a great feel.

I also like math(s). I'm on page 1321 of the Fibonacci sequence. smile Ok. here's one. Write down any random series of numbers. Make sure to write them down so you can check them later. Let's use 56187825 (randomly typed) as an example. Add the individual numbers together, like 5+6+1+8 etcetera. The sum is 42. Subtract the sum from the random number and the result is always exactly divisible by 9. Why? In this case it's 56187825-42=56187783, which divided by 9 is exactly 6243087.

Many thanks Marty, you sound like a math(s) enthusiest if not a full blown mathematician.

Did you also know that you can run the Fibonacci Sequence backwards into negative territory?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
A Little Math for Marty.jpg (84.58 KB, 30 downloads)

BiaB 2024 Windows
Brad Williams #753802 02/15/23 02:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Nice Bass work and production Thumper! I never was any good at math, so the words are way over this poor boy's head, but 2 +2 = good in this equation!

Brad

Thanks for the listen Brad. glad you liked it.

BiaB 2024 Windows
jannesan #753805 02/15/23 02:23 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Math and music, both are intriguing and fun. Sounds like a fractal, like a Mandelbrot set, interesting and simple at the same time. Those synth voices and the flute create a magical feeling. And the bass playing together with the piano bring this back to Earth level for a moment. Very nice pop tune, more on the minor chord side, but I still enjoyed it, although math was one of the most positive things for me at school. The poem is nice also, maybe it could be spoken softly in the background?

Janne

Thanks Janne, yep this 2 chord wonder is made up of Em and Am . . . . very minor smile
Haven't messed around with fractals too much, I wonder if they have any practical application.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,545
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173