Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<< I'm not a civil court judge, but I'd like to offer a settlement deal on the dispute between Henry Clarke and Mike Halloran. >>

There's no dispute. Mike Halloran misquoted Mr. Henry.
. Like hell. Copy and paste does not misquote.

Quote:
The songs I release are published through Tunecore Publishing and I am also a BMI member. If that's not enough protection then I'm out of luck.

Tunecore does not publish and BMI does not “protect”. For that matter, neither does ASCAP and I worked there for years.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Okay. Copy/paste does not misquote. Here's a copy/paste from the Tunecore website....

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Tunecore.jpg (212.23 KB, 219 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
I'm not a civil court judge, but I'd like to offer a settlement deal on the dispute between Henry Clarke and Mike Halloran.

To Henry Clarke
You never want to put all your eggs in one basket, let alone Putin's basket. If the US sanctions are getting worse in the future, maybe consider withdrawing from TuneCore and transfer the rights to a distributor on the American soil.

To Mike Halloran
You have already given insightful opinions on LOC and legal aspects. Could you also give some advice on the distributors?

90% of the young musicians are not yet famous. All they want is to focus their time on making music, find a reliable distributor to publish, collect some royalty income, publicize on YouTube and TikTok, get attentions, and eventually sign a deal with a record label. The lawyers of the record label will take care of their paperwork on copyright.

I have put up a list of 21 best known online distributors/publishers. Please indicate which ones are legit, which ones are to be avoided.

• Amuse
• AWAL
• CD Baby
• DistroKid
• Ditto
• Fresh Tunes
• Horus Music
• Landr
• Level
• ONErpm
• Record Union
• Repost Network
• Reverb Nation
• RouteNote
• Songtradr
• Soundrop
• Spinnup
• Stem
• Symphonic
• TuneCore
• UnitedMasters

Except for stating that TuneCore is a distributor and quoting that they are not a publisher, I have stuck to Copyright only.

Let’s save distribution for another thread.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
. Like hell. Copy and paste does not misquote.[/quote]
I can if, as with your quote from me about 'some wizardry', you cut off half of what I said, leaving an incomplete and out of context extract that you then dispute.

Just saying.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Cyberic
Here’s evidence of a poor person not being in receipt of just rewards:

Seeking justice for Lion Sleeps Tonight composer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55333535

There are many thousands of such examples, especially from the folk era. As well meaning as such articles are, this time to fix it was when “Paul Campbell” (the name that Pete Seeger, Lee Hays, Ronnie Gilbert and Fred Hellerman used for joint arrangements) registered the copyright for The Weavers—or renewed it 26 years later. Pete Seeger knew who Solomon Linda was. Some BMI registrations do properly credit him but most do not. Any music attorney could have fixed it with an inexpensive lawsuit back then which would have also applied to The Tokens’s recording—but no one ever did. It wasn’t till the late 1960s that anyone had a clue about the monies that could be recovered by such actions. Mr. Linda passed away in 1962. In many countries (incl. Australia), his copyrights expired in 2012; in the EU and USA, they expire 2032 making what would certainly be an expensive lawsuit fruitless.

Publishers are far more aware nowadays. It was Alan Klein who pretty much schooled the world while collecting back royalties for Bobby Vinton before setting his sights on the Stones, Beatles and both sides of “My Sweet Lord/He’s So Fine”.

The 1976 revision to the US Copyright law was designed to make it more difficult for such things to happen again. Not that it can’t happen but nearly every IP attorney since 1978 would recognize this as low hanging fruit were it to surface now.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
. Like hell. Copy and paste does not misquote.

I can if, as with your quote from me about 'some wizardry', you cut off half of what I said, leaving an incomplete and out of context extract that you then dispute.

Just saying.
[/quote]
Gordon,

You have a habit of making broad blanket statements that range between partially accurate and complete nonsense. I quoted one of those nonsense remarks about pitch correction and you are still howling about that?

Others would attempt to be more careful.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Okay. Copy/paste does not misquote. Here's a copy/paste from the Tunecore website....

Putting ”Publishing” in the title doesn’t make it so—as I pointed out by quoting another page from Tunecore. I have also quoted extensively from the LOC.

Because some are apparently still confused on the issue, Tunecore has no ability to compel monies on behalf of any of their clients unless they, as publishers, have filed the proper forms with the LOC — that they clearly state they do not do.

BTW, I have also pointed out that the PROs are in the same boat. They cannot compel either. It is only the publishers who are able to sue. That both can collect money—and do—has nothing to do with this.

The OP was about Copyright and I have done my best to answer this.

What is your problem with that?

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I quoted one of those nonsense remarks about pitch correction and you are still howling about that?

The bit you quoted was about polishing what one does, not about pitch correction per se, and this is the first time I've mentioned your out of context extract, so I'm hardly "still howling about it".

Edit: Hmm, actually I had mentioned it before. Once.
There's been a whole long discussion between-times about "straw man arguments".

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 03/27/23 04:56 AM.

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Putting ”Publishing” in the title doesn’t make it so—as I pointed out by quoting another page from Tunecore. I have also quoted extensively from the LOC.

Because some are apparently still confused on the issue, Tunecore has no ability to compel monies on behalf of any of their clients unless they, as publishers, have filed the proper forms with the LOC — that they clearly state they do not do.

BTW, I have also pointed out that the PROs are in the same boat. They cannot compel either. It is only the publishers who are able to sue. That both can collect money—and do—has nothing to do with this.

The OP was about Copyright and I have done my best to answer this.

What is your problem with that?

LOL, I don't know if Tunecore publishes works or if they just pretend they do on the web. They're of no concern to me. I have no dealing with them in any fashion or form. I have music distributed world wide in a documentary and music played and mentioned by name in a scene in a movie that's also distributed world wide. I get my checks.

Look closely again at Mr. Henry's quote you've referenced and posted multiple times and see if you see where you replaced something he actually wrote with another word that doesn't have the same meaning and changes what he did say into what you're thinking he said.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I quoted one of those nonsense remarks about pitch correction and you are still howling about that?

The bit you quoted was about polishing what one does, not about pitch correction per se, and this is the first time I've mentioned your out of context extract, so I'm hardly "still howling about it".

Perhaps taking things out of context is why you think they're nonsense.

I would most certainly not suggest that few recordings over the last 60 years did not have pitch correction, which is what your response suggested I said.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Cyberic.

When I was v v young , my family and I lived in africa….
so thanks for the beeb article..v interesting.
thats an excellent song.

MV.

re…your comment re a poor muso.

well…maybe a poor muso sees music as a way to a better life for the family ?
some make it n' some dont sadly. i heard sooo much great music growing up in africa
that the wider world might not be aware of.

having had the benefit of discussions with music biz insiders , i have no interest in music
biz success. cos one loses one's private life from what ive been told.
i'm content with just having lots of fun creating songs for enjoyment and if other people like em' too that makes me v happy.

i DO WONDER whether people posting their song creations in the pg showcase should get advice before doing so ? I dunno.

happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/27/23 02:43 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
LOL ... I appreciate you guys quoting or not quoting what I said but I've moved on from this and the forum. You guys have at it and have fun. I no longer have a dog in this fight ! :-)

Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
...I've moved on from this and the forum...

Why bother with a few negative comments, when there are tons and tons of people on YouTube want to consume your content?

As I mentioned in my previous post, the only complaint people have on YouTube, is "why is Henry Clarke not making more amazing BiaB tutorials like this?"

To Henry, YouTube is a whole new world, where this forum is a hole new whirled.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MusicVillain
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
...I've moved on from this and the forum ...

Why bother with a few negative comments,...

... and most of those come from a small number of people who perhaps forget that communication by text can be a very blunt instrument indeed.

All the best Henry.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
communication by text can be a very blunt instrument indeed.

Words and phrases are also used differently in some locales and it can be a profound difference. A misread inflection or punctuation oversight can make a huge difference to interpretation.

I have a punctuation example I read recently that amuses me. YMMV,

I like cooking my wife and my children.
Commas save lives!

Songwriting
U
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
U
I'm not sure if this discussion is still relevant in the future ?
The problem with copyright is: how can something that is available in limited quantity be appropriated in any way?

In the meantime, 2 Americans, Damien Riehl and Noah Rubin, have published most of the melodies under a Creative Commons Zero license.
http://allthemusic.info/faqs/

All melody possibilities are calculated and published by an algorithm. The project is still ongoing, as far as I know.

Peter Burke did something similar only with chord progressions.
https://peterburk.github.io/chordProgressions/index.html

The download is a few gb of midis wink

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Uwe Schwarz
All melody possibilities are calculated and published by an algorithm. The project is still ongoing, as far as I know.

Great idea, exactly my sense of humor. Thanks for the link.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
Songwriting
Q
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Q

Example: Somebody wrone a song and filed PA Unpublished. Famous folk singer friend records it in the 1960s—song is uncredited but her record company pays the mechanicals. Famous English band releases their version song. 1978 Law takes effect. Fourteen years later, the writer’s daughter hears song at party and says, “I didn’t know you knew any (band name here). Writer wants credit and back royalties—attorney find out there’s no Published certificate and won’t take case till it is filed. Writer files; attorney sues. Band countersues for Copyright violation. Court tells both sides to settle—which they do—but rules that no monies are due before the date of that certificate, even though Famous folk singer’s recording is now over 20 years old and that record company knew who the writer was. Writer takes this to the Court of Chancery and is told that UK is the same as the US: no royalties due before the Published date. Estimates are that writer was out about $18M.

Since this happened before the World Wide Web, almost no one is able to look this up but it was widely reported at the time. Anybody know the song, band, writer, folk singer? The band shouldn’t be too hard to guess.

Just curious Mike, could you share more to this story for us? I'm curious to know more and what song / artist this case pertained to. It does sound like quite the cautionary tale.

It depends. Multiple registrations, each covering different aspects of a recording, are quite common but nothing to worry about now. Should you get to that stage, your attorney should be involved—and yes, you will need one. Should you be so lucky, it could easily be a complex negotiation involving multiple attorneys.

I've spoken to an attorney, but she didn't know the answer to this.

Could you explain a bit how the song gets registered separately as a PA and SR, and the uses for such separate registration? (Better licensing terms, protection, etc.)

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I should be able to get to that later this week. Problem is that very few of us remember anymore and all I found on Justia is single paragraph—and it got the decade wrong.

That a music attorney doesn’t know the difference between PA and SR is troubling, indeed. It’s on the form SR. There is—or used to be—an excellent FAQ in the LOC on this. I’ll see if I can find the right link.

Not today, however.

Songwriting
Q
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Q
I should be able to get to that later this week. Problem is that very few of us remember anymore and all I found on Justia is single paragraph—and it got the decade wrong.

That a music attorney doesn’t know the difference between PA and SR is troubling, indeed. It’s on the form SR. There is—or used to be—an excellent FAQ in the LOC on this. I’ll see if I can find the right link.

Not today, however.

Thanks Mike!

I believe the lawyer knew the difference between PA and SR, I should have elaborated more on the question - I was trying to figure out the benefits of registering each song separately, 1 PA registration and 1 SR registration for each song.

The reason being better licensing terms and such, in case a song does take off.

I'm still trying to understand that part of the music business - whether registering each song twice (once as PA, once as SR) can prevent headache, or provide much benefit, down the line.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,286
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181