Instruments

3489:Bass, Electric, SkaPunkPopAB Ev 180
3493:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm SkaFastPop Ev16 180
3494:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm SkaFastPunk Ev16 180
2586:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PunkMurray Ev 165
SkaFastPopWes^3-a:Snare, Open Hat , b:Snare, Ride

Effects

Main Buss: EZ Mix (Punk/Mastering), Lurssen Mastering Console
Vocal Buss: GW VoiceCentric, Fame Studio Reverb (Studio A Live/Vocals), Panagement 2, Magma Lil Tube
Lead Vocal: SynthesizerV (Ninezero)
Backing Vocal: SynthesizerV (Ninezero), Magma Lil Tube, Izotope Vocal Doubler, Raum (Grounded)
Bass: Fame Studio Reverb (Studio B Live/Bass), Neutron 3 (Deep Bass)
Drums: CLA Drums, Fame Studio Reverb (Studio B Live/Drums), Panagement 2
Solo Guitar: UJAM Retro Finisher (Scanner Ensemble), Panagement 2
Rhythm Guitar 1, 2: Fame Studio Reverb (Studio B Live/Guitar), Panagement 2

Post-Posting Edits

1. Per B.D.Thomas' suggestion, I've swapped the voices, so the low voice takes the lead. I also added tube distortion to the Vocal Buss.
  2. Small tweaks to the vocal - altered a lyric, got rid of a plosive, added a bit of harmony. EQ'ed the drums, changed the Mastering plugin to fix mid-rangy sound.
  3. Adjusted balanced between voices.

The Story

April is almost gone, and this is the first song I've done this year. I've got a lot of catching up to do!

As usual, I started by finding a demo BiaB song I liked. In this case, it was _BUSTER.STY. Since I was trying for something a bit more "pop" than usual, I avoided Maj7 chords and anything that was perhaps too "jazzy".

I also used a lot more pitch repetition than usual.

The singer was originally going to be Kevin, but I tried out Ninezero on the track. It was a bit high for him, but it seemed to fit his attitude.

And then... nothing. The music suggested perhaps the singer was a disaffected skateboarder, or something more Camper Van Beethoven, but specific ideas weren't coming.

So the song sat for weeks without any sort of progress.

Finally, I forced myself to write something, recalling back as a kid when I used to go "dumpster diving" at the local office, in garbage bins that smelled of coffee grounds and carbon paper:

i've gone down in the dumpster snorkeling around
   and i ain't been seen for days

Ninezero's Australian accent reminded me of rayc bantering around his Aussie slang. So I pulled up a webpage of Australian terms so I could replace "dumpster" with something a bit more colloquial, and the song grew by bits and pieces.

The "Kookaburra Song" is still under copyright, but it doesn't use the original melody, and it's a short quote that recontextualizes the lyric. So it should be good under fair use.

Again going against my habit, I've left the tracks pretty basic in an effort not to overproduce it.

As usual, any and all comments welcome!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #762767 04/20/23 11:38 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Lyrically and musically, I think that's a pretty cool and catchy ska song, but the annoying Mickey Mouse vocals detract from it.

I've never heard a ska sung so high. Bring the vocals down an octave (think Madness: Our House), add some bass (or low-end in general) and you have a winner.
LOVE the flow and the lyrics.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
dcuny #762775 04/21/23 02:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

I love the energy in this and I don't mind the voice at all - in fact, I think is perfectly suits the song.

Excellent production as well.

Bob

dcuny #762788 04/21/23 06:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
In my ears, the vocalist is singing bit too high, makes it difficult to hear the lyrics. Ninezero has nice low register, so I think it wouldn't hurt to transpose the song down.

But the song itself is very catchy and has the early 80's Brit ska/punk feel. Funny and positive look on the dustbins. And you have made very good work to make the singing sound fluent and natural even in the fast tempo.
Good underproduced mix, although the guitar panning is quite wide to my taste.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

dcuny #762798 04/21/23 07:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Agree with others regarding the vocal octave. Bring it down and lets hear that.
Otherwise, its a jumpin tune.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

dcuny #762802 04/21/23 07:52 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback! I've posted a new mix that uses the lower voice as the lead.

I've actually updated it a while ago, so I'm not quite sure why people are hearing the old version... frown

-- David Cuny

dcuny #762804 04/21/23 07:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I just tried again. Says it was updated 10 hours ago. And this time it is MUCH better. That lower octave should be the keeper.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

dcuny #762813 04/21/23 08:32 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Thanks for the feedback! I've posted a new mix that uses the lower voice as the lead.

Yep, much better
I would probably transpose the whole song down an additional 4 semitones to have an even better vocal range for the singer, but I also like it as it is now.
Cool stuff!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
dcuny #762814 04/21/23 08:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Different! But *good* different :-) Thought I wouldn't like it. Not my genre, haha ... but like it I do, nevertheless.

I haven't heard the first mix, but this voice range sounds good to me smile

Good job!

dcuny #762878 04/22/23 12:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pretty good I think, David! Nice groove.

I listened yesterday also but didn't have time to comment; I agree with the others, I like the vocal much better now.

Guitar solo sounds pretty good, after I post this review I'm going to check out that UJAM Retro Finisher, see what that's all about!

Good to see you with a new one, you always produce interesting music.

Enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, I did not hear the first one so I can't comment on the improvements you made but I did like this one.

Although not my favorite genre this one is really good.
Super groove and mix.
You do wonders with those vocal synths.
Great work.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I thought it sounded good. Ninezero sings punk rock pretty well.

I like the song. Short but good

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi David
Really cool song
Punk music with synth vocals, I haven't heard that before
But it turned out surprisingly good
I would not have guessed
This shows how much experience you have with this matter
Really good
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Started just reading the lyrics with many smiles. Thanks for the interpretation, David. Wow, as soon as I pushed play I knew I'd be back to push it a second time before saying anything. Very cool sound, David --even the abrupt ending. Man, those vocals are quick --heck everything is quick. Quite the solo! Yes, I remember "The Kookaburra Song." This one is much cooler.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, David !

This was something special !
I like the tune and the style !
Everything is just super on this tune !
One of your absolute best !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool, cool song. I didn't hear your first version, but the singer works on this one. Man, does it (he) sound real, and I like how the pronunciation isn't standard American English.

rsdean #763415 04/25/23 04:44 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
I love the energy in this and I don't mind the voice at all - in fact, I think is perfectly suits the song.

Thanks, Bob!

I really liked the high voice, but I was sold once I switched the voices.

Thanks for listening and the good words!

-- David Cuny

jannesan #763417 04/25/23 04:47 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
But the song itself is very catchy and has the early 80's Brit ska/punk feel. Funny and positive look on the dustbins. And you have made very good work to make the singing sound fluent and natural even in the fast tempo.

Good underproduced mix, although the guitar panning is quite wide to my taste.

Hi, Janne.

I was surprised how well Ninezero worked - especially since I had started with Kevin. It was a lot of fun going for that '80s sound.

Thanks for stopping by! smile

-- David Cuny

DrDan #763418 04/25/23 04:51 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
OK, I just tried again. Says it was updated 10 hours ago. And this time it is MUCH better. That lower octave should be the keeper.

Hi, Dan.

Thanks for sticking around for another listen! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I would probably transpose the whole song down an additional 4 semitones to have an even better vocal range for the singer, but I also like it as it is now.

Hi, B.D.

If it weren't for the pain of re-doing the guitar solo, I might have given it a shot.

Plus, that would lower the high voice, which has grown on me by now. I'd have to not have him strain to hit those notes! wink

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173