Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#765706 05/17/23 04:51 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Another new song composed with the assistance of AI.

I'll post the details tomorrow when I get to the studio.

Pass it on

Thanks for listening.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #765715 05/17/23 11:01 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Howdy Herb ...

Wow ... this is just so good! You managed to really put some emotion into the AI voice. I was impressed with the higher notes the AI vocal rendered. It didn't get thin or strained. And the slight bit of vibrato on the voice was quite effective. I'm totally impressed with this!

The band did a super job. What caught my ear was the mandolin. For me, it was an unexpected band member. But gosh dang, it really added a nice flavor to everything else. I guess you could say the band was "delicious"! I'll buy that.

Everything was amazing: the band, the arrangement, the mix, the vocal, the lyric, the message. But most of all, the genuine enjoyment of a song sounding like it should with no apologies needed.

Amazing!

Alan

BTW... thanks for the front row and center seat! Send me the bill!

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Guitarhacker #765752 05/18/23 06:07 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's a brave new world, wow. It's really hard to tell this isn't a human. It all sounds nice but the best thing in your song was the live guitar riff LOL. I'm not sure AI will replace human emotion anytime soon but that was quite impressive. As an aside, what program did you use to generate the AI vocal?

Bleeding edge stuff to be sure.

Best of luck

Rick

It needs more cowbell!

https://therickhansenband.com
Guitarhacker #765754 05/18/23 06:15 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

Extremely impressive! This particular voice sounds very natural and has some nice nuances. Great track selection - can't wait to see where this all goes!

Bob

Guitarhacker #765763 05/18/23 07:15 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Al david: Your comments made my day when I opened this site this morning. THanks

Rick: It is indeed a brave new world. THere's currently no live guitar in this but that might change because I'm not able to find something in the real tracks close to this tempo that has the tone I really want. I'll likely learn the solo note for note or perhaps create my own.... but with a tone I can live with. This one is just too brittle sounding on the top end. The voice is Synth V Pro with Solaria AI database.

Bob: Yes.. I agree. These vocal synths have come a long way in the past year.

www.herbhartley.com

Guitarhacker #765766 05/18/23 07:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's the updated info.

The lyric idea was input into Lyriclab and the result was heavily edited and revised.

This is, I think, the third complete recording. I started with other styles and didn't like them. I deleted everything and started each one again from square one using only the SGU as a starting point on each. Including taking it into Cake and deleting that too. Never be afraid to start over. Lots of edits to the structure and chords as it progressed through the various stages.

Style is MANPMGA which is pop country ballad.

Tracks currently include:

Drums: Modern pop groove
Bass: 1827
Mando: 1947
Guitars: 1596, 4021, 4022, 4023, 4026, 3505, 3348
Piano: 1839

Things are still in a condition of flux. As I mentioned, I'm not satisfied with the tone of the solo guitar quite yet. So I might do this live.

Synth V voice Solaria AI database. There's a lot to learn about this synth to get realistic sounding vocals. Dreamtonics is the company that makes this. If you want to play with this technology, you can download the Basic version and some of their demo voices for free. They tend to be synthy sounding but it gives you a feel for the synth. Obviously, it's not everyone's cuppa java.

Mixed in Cakewalk.

So... that hopefully answers some questions..... Now.... I have a few of my own questions.

At a songwriters meeting last night... this song was presented. One of the comments was "yeah, I could tell this was not a real singer from the autotune". Does anyone hear artifacts (obvious or subtle) that would indicate autotune or something else? If so, point out exactly where you hear it please. I might be too close to this to hear it.
Also, I'd appreciate any observations on production nits or advice on the mix/mastering. Levels.... EQ.....Reverb......instruments..... I have pulled the mando down on a few errant notes that were in a place of relative silence that kinda stuck out at me....

Anyway... thanks for your time and comments.

www.herbhartley.com

Guitarhacker #765775 05/18/23 08:53 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I have a few of my own questions.

At a songwriters meeting last night... this song was presented. One of the comments was "yeah, I could tell this was not a real singer from the autotune". Does anyone hear artifacts (obvious or subtle) that would indicate autotune or something else? If so, point out exactly where you hear it please. I might be too close to this to hear it.
Also, I'd appreciate any observations on production nits or advice on the mix/mastering. Levels.... EQ.....Reverb......instruments..... I have pulled the mando down on a few errant notes that were in a place of relative silence that kinda stuck out at me....

Anyway... thanks for your time and comments.

From experience: you should never say beforehand that it's not a real singer, because a) everyone will focus on the singing and not the song, and b) everyone will say it's obvious.
If they don't know, they might say that the song sucks but the vocals are great.
And ask who the singer is.
Been there, done that.

The Autotune™ remark could be about the first 2 words of your song, "we all" does indeed sound pitch-corrected. The rest of the song is fine.

Production-wise it's good, I wouldn't change that. Overall it's a good song and I like it!

The vocals sound a bit throaty, did you change the "gender" settings to make the voice a bit darker?

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
B.D.Thomas #765787 05/18/23 09:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas

From experience: you should never say beforehand that it's not a real singer, because a) everyone will focus on the singing and not the song, and b) everyone will say it's obvious.
If they don't know, they might say that the song sucks but the vocals are great.
And ask who the singer is.
Been there, done that.

The Autotune™ remark could be about the first 2 words of your song, "we all" does indeed sound pitch-corrected. The rest of the song is fine.

Production-wise it's good, I wouldn't change that. Overall it's a good song and I like it!

The vocals sound a bit throaty, did you change the "gender" settings to make the voice a bit darker?

good advice and yep.... gender a bit to the huskier side.... not too much....

I'll have a closer look at the first two words....

Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

Guitarhacker #765817 05/18/23 02:35 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah the 1st two syllables stick out as does the seemingly very precise diction.
Most of the larger intervals sound a little suss. It has a classical singer doing country feel to it.
The vocal is strident - some EQ to soften it would help it sit a little.
Yeah the solo tone is not a keeper in my book either. It something I struggle with in BIAB...that & that I really don't seem to like Brent Mason's stuff - and there's so much of him.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Guitarhacker #765828 05/18/23 07:11 PM
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Guitarhacker,

First off, the song itself is stellar, really cool feel and vibe to it. The music bed is terrific and overall arrangement is excellent. Had I not known it was AI generated vocal . . . I don’t think I would have noticed at first . . . the bridge is where it doesn’t quite sound right to me . . . and on some of the high notes throughout . . but not enough to make me think it is an artificial vocal by that itself.

My bigger focus is that the vocal doesn’t quite fit with the feel of the tune . . . kind of what rayc said above. So, a good suggestion from him to perhaps look to soften in spots and bring down some of the high end.

I also agree with ray regarding the Brent Mason RTs in general . . . they rarely seem to work for me. But that’s a different issue . . .

Good stuff, and impressive use of AI for this.

All my best to you,

Deej

Guitarhacker #765843 05/18/23 11:15 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
At a songwriters meeting last night... this song was presented. One of the comments was "yeah, I could tell this was not a real singer from the autotune".

Interested to find out if any of the people at the meeting commented on the A.I.assisted lyrics?

Great song. I think that the A.I voice has got great potential. You are at the cutting edge indeed, Herb.

I would also be interested in learning how long this song took from start to finish and if it is getting any easier.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Guitarhacker #765853 05/19/23 03:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

A lot to like about this.
The BAND is solid. Good RT choices and well mixed.
I Like Brent's tone (I listened to the song before reading any comments - and thought "nice to have a bit of grit to the solo").

The vocal is surprisingly good.
It does have a quality to it that pegs it as "generated".
I think it has more to do with the fact that those generated vocals lack some of the dynamics of a "real" singer (breathes and volume nuances). They have a sort of "sameness" no matter where they are in the natural range of a singer. I'd guess in time they will get better at that. (less sameness).
That is not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of Pop sounds like that these days.

As ray said, there is a lot of high EQ to the vocal. Rolling that off (considerably) would help with much of the impression of "generated" - that "sound" is accentuated in the highs. (And, Country vocals these days have MUCH less highs to them)

All of the AI generated lyrics I've hear (so far) have a "generic" feel to them (big time).
THAT really seems to work for this - a We-Are-The-World or Buy-The-World-A-Coke kind of thing.

Good work.

Guitarhacker #765878 05/19/23 09:10 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ray: yep... so I did a regen on those 2 words. Better I think... I'll post the revised track in a few days

Deej56: Still working on it.... revamping the tracks and muting things to see what works..... and levels....

JC: No... the lyrics were not called into question. I'm loving that app BTW. It's a great idea starter. Total time start to finish.... hummmm... I'll let you know when I get it done.

FJ: That high end is puzzling me.... I might have to go back to the synth and play with the settings to see what can be done there. Right now, I'm burned out a bit from listening and trying to figure things out, so I am going to take some time and come back fresh in a day or so.... I'm still playing with the band to get something that I like and sounds good.... I'm drifting into a more acoustic band to start and bring things in later in the song. my next version will be up sometime next week and you'll see what I'm thinking.

I certainly appreciate all the comments and advice. Taking it to heart and seeing how it applies and working towards the final result. Stay tuned. This is a work in progress. And I'm not finished.

www.herbhartley.com

Guitarhacker #765898 05/19/23 12:08 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Herb... I am still amazed at what AI can do...this is such a great song...melodically, lyrically and with a positive message...it's so great to hear a song that's not about losing love or a cheating lover, etc...I love the track...well constructed and the modulation was so appropriate to lift even higher an up-lifting song...superior effort indeed!!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
Guitarhacker #765959 05/20/23 07:58 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Uplifting rock ballad with nice melody, + for modulation. The band sounds smooth and the mix is very balanced. The guitars and the drums sound good and the mandolin is nice addition.
Great work with Solaria, because I couldn't recognize her. Very natural and powerful sounding, although I would like to hear her sounding calmer and softer in verses.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Guitarhacker #766048 05/21/23 08:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Headed in a different direction.... what do you think? Yes or no? heavier or the slightly more acoustic version?
I'm actually looking for a more country flavor than a rock/pop version. Hence the changes

Pass It On ( final version)

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/23/23 07:52 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Guitarhacker #766060 05/21/23 09:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Herb,
Big sound ballad. Sounds very... Eurovision smile Not in a bad way, just that is how I hear it. Very cool production. Arrangement and mix is very strong. Vocal synth tech seem to progress significantly. Good effort and thank you for sharing.

P.S. "Pass it on (acoustic based)" seems to be broken.

Misha.

Guitarhacker #766062 05/21/23 09:59 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Firesong & Janne

Thank you for listening and commenting. I've changed it up a bit.... I wanted a more country slanted version.

Again thanks for listening

www.herbhartley.com

Rustyspoon# #766064 05/21/23 10:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Herb,
Big sound ballad. Sounds very... Eurovision smile Not in a bad way, just that is how I hear it. Very cool production. Arrangement and mix is very strong. Vocal synth tech seem to progress significantly. Good effort and thank you for sharing.

P.S. "Pass it on (acoustic based)" seems to be broken.

Misha.

Thanks... Try the link again. Might have been swapping the file in box.

www.herbhartley.com

Guitarhacker #766113 05/21/23 11:49 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I prefer the country version to the first one. Softer, warmer - and the lyrics register clearer, here. But a great song with a great message - well done!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,663
Posts735,559
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163