Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
I own several of these Session Guitarist but currently working with Picked Acoustic and Picked Nylon.

I love the variety of patterns available but I would really prefer to be able to edit the patterns in my DAW's MIDI editor.

Is there any way to export these patterns as MIDI that I can then edit?

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
If you do a little searching around, you can find out how to export the patterns or capture the patterns as midi. I can't remember now how to do it, but in involves setting up your DAW a certain way to capture the midi. I did it successfully a good while back, but just don't recall the exact way now, and every DAW will be slightly different anyway. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I think there was some info on the Native Instruments forum if I remember correctly.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Thanks etcjoe! I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't found a solution or even confirmed if it is possible!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to record the midi from the NI Session Guitar engine.

The Session guitar series, (with the exception of Electric Mint [the latest]) is a pattern player (unless in 'melody' mode) and the patterns are played inside the script; as such, the actual notes played are not exposed to any midi out channel to be sent back to the DAW for recording.

Of course, some VSTi pattern players do permit this but at this time to the best of my knowledge not the NI Session Guitar series.

But that is just my best guess...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Thanks Dan! That seems to be correct from my attempts so far.

But, hear me out, what if I outputted to audio and then brought that audio into EZ Keys or Scaler to be converted into MIDI (does they do that?) and then took that MIDI and used it to drive the Session Guitarist Melody version of the instrument? Or another guitar VST altogether?

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
I think Dan is probably correct that what I am trying to do is not possible but I'm going to post below what I have tried so far...
---------------
I'm not really making much progress but I did learn a few things!

Just to recap, here is what I'm trying to do and a little background.

I am using Kontakt Session Guitarist Picked Acoustic (KSGPA). I am using its pattern generator to create a lovely picking pattern. But, when I examine the MIDI I find it is mainly just instructions for the KSGPA and not actual MIDI of the played notes. That is handy as I can enter chords and keyswitches in the MIDI piano roll BUT what I'd really like to do is have the complete MIDI output with all notes and other settings so I could manually edit the patterns a bit.

So, I have been searching to a) determine if this is even possible and b) if so, how to do it. So far I've had no luck with either! I have found posts by people claiming it is possible and posts by people claiming it is not possible but no examples of how to make it work.

I am using Reaper so I resorted to a video by Kenny Gioia on routing one track to another (https://youtu.be/AGezozwHTzw?t=422 from 7:02 to 8:09). I learned a lot from this video but he was not covering my specific question and after going through the steps below I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

1) in Reaper I create virtual instrument track #1 using KSGPA (8 bars with simple chord progression sounds great)
2) in the Kontakt VST3, Settings (top bar), I click Engine and then under "Send MIDI to outside world" I check "Script generated CCs" and "Script generated notes" and I leave "GUI keyboard" checked
3) back in Reaper I duplicate track #1 to create virtual instrument track #2
4) in track #2 I delete the MIDI and remove the KSGPA plugin
5) in track #2 I set Input:None
6) in track #2 I set Record:output to Record:output (MIDI)
7) in track #1 I drag the Send to track #2
8) in track #1 Send I uncheck Master send
9) uncheck record on track #1 and check record on track #2
10) click main Record and watch MIDI get written to track #2
11) stop recording
12) create a new virtual instrument track #3 and assign KSGPA to that track
13) copy the MIDI item from track #2 and paste it into track #3
14) mute everything except track #3 and play it
15) it sounds awful!

If I don't do step #2 I get no MIDI at all in step 10.

If, in step #6 I choose Record:output (stereo) I get a perfect rendition of the MIDI BUT, of course, as audio and not MIDI.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Been there done that. But good for you it giving it a best try. That is the way you learn.

Here is a thought, now that you have the "...perfect rendition of the MIDI BUT, of course, as audio and not MIDI", put Melodyne Editor (preferably Editor or higher) and it will convert the entire audio track to midi. Then export the midi and import it to another Reaper Track. You may be pleasently surprized.

Best of luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Thanks Dan! That seems to be correct from my attempts so far.

But, hear me out, what if I outputted to audio and then brought that audio into EZ Keys or Scaler to be converted into MIDI (does they do that?) and then took that MIDI and used it to drive the Session Guitarist Melody version of the instrument? Or another guitar VST altogether?

First try Melodyn casue I have seen that work miricles. Do you have Melodyn? If not, send me the audio track and I will process it and return the midi.

I am not sure what EZKeys 2 will do - too new to us all?? And I don't think Scaler is the right tool for this.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Thank you Obi-Wan, er, Dan!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are several audio-to-midi converters, both stand-alone and VST.

I think Jam Origin Midiguitar2 is free. I "ASSUME" this could be be done in real time by outputting the audio track to a midi track with this vst.

I have only had this vst for a few days and only used it to lower single notes into the bass range in real time. There is some latency. As I remember it is polyphonic.

This also would turn Matt's trumpet into a midi instrument I think. Then he also could play the riff to Smoke On The Water....lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Thanks Mario! I tried using EZ Keys 2 Bandmate but it never produced anything that sounded even close to correct. I monkeyed around with Edit Play Style but never really got close to anything usable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Here is the file I am trying to convert back to MIDI,

https://file.io/FIR2shKxMkbI

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
First try Melodyn casue I have seen that work miricles. Do you have Melodyn? If not, send me the audio track and I will process it and return the midi.

I do not have Melodyne but would be grateful if you were willing to give it a try. Here is the audio file,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Thanks Mario! I tried using EZ Keys 2 Bandmate but it never produced anything that sounded even close to correct. I monkeyed around with Edit Play Style but never really got close to anything usable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Here is the file I am trying to convert back to MIDI,

My Internet security will not allow me to DL this file. Could you post it on Drobox or email it to me. If email just send me a PM and I will share my email address.

PS - I also have Melodyne and could try it there also.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Audio to Midi with Melodyne

Here is the midi file link
JJJ Midi

Last edited by MusicStudent; 05/21/23 12:14 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan, I have done that a number of times, i.e. converted my audio guitar to a MIDI track. What I sometimes do is to have the MIDI track play simultaneously with the audio track with the MIDI track having a different sound like a music box, zither, bells, etc. One can get some very nice sounding tracks this way. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am in the middle of a project right now which utilizes this exact workflow, but with a piano. I have an audio solo piano backing for my song. Melodyne did a midi rendering which is not perfect but really good. But I am struggling on how to add this to the project. I am all about "
less is better" these days with my music, so adding filler just is not working at this time. But maybe my next project.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MarioD
My Internet security will not allow me to DL this file. Could you post it on Drobox or email it to me. If email just send me a PM and I will share my email address.

Thanks Mario. I just PMed you a link on a private server.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Dan, I have done that a number of times, i.e. converted my audio guitar to a MIDI track. What I sometimes do is to have the MIDI track play simultaneously with the audio track with the MIDI track having a different sound like a music box, zither, bells, etc. One can get some very nice sounding tracks this way. YMMV

I really like your idea! Seems like a great way to add a wall-of-sound to a chorus! (Mr. McCartney might disagree but so what!)

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I was mistaken, as is usually the case!! I did it using Electric Mint, but it has that capability built in. Sorry. As of right now that is the only session guitarist with the built in capability of exporting the midi. I read something a long time ago about doing it with the Action Strings and some of the other instruments with built in patterns and got it to work, but I can't find that now.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,564
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200