Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
When I type " examples of psychedelic music" into youtube, the second thing to come up is "The authentic Psychedelic era (best of 60s-70s)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7KxShixE-A&list=PLkjEvMJpFKeUe5oE6Hb1E04-ABq9lXSIM

I found this to be a pretty interesting list of songs, many of which I never thought about as being Psychedelic.

Whiter Shade Of Pale, for example. I also never knew that Robin Trower played for them. Years later, I saw Robin play at the Button South in Miami. I talked to him for a bit. He was a really nice guy to me.

1967 seems to be an exceptional year for this form of music. I was somewhere in the general vicinity of Viet Nam in that year. Part of the people who never were, doing the things we never did, in the places we never went to.

I did get a chance to listen to the music of the times, and it was more or less the only connection we had to the outside world. We were not even allowed to possess United States currency.

I am sure all those circumstances caused a deeper emotional connection to the music of that time period.

I have never been one to play many cover tunes, but lately, Herbstock caused me to go listen to some cover songs Eddie was interested in and be ready to play them.

That sort of got me off on a track of messing around on the guitar, trying to play something from memory in the style of things that I listened to in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

That thinking leads me to the above youtube link.

There are a lot of interesting chord progressions/riffs/musical ideas, and funny lyrics in that series of videos.

"You got a hubcap diamond star halo" T Rex Get It On

Stones
"It's so very lonely, you're a hundred light years from home"

Donovan
"Must be the season of the witch"

David Bowie
"Ground control to Major Tom" (that probably had a very different meaning to a pilot who flew in Southeast Asia in those days)

If you look at some of the videos, I hope you find them of interest.

If you have any interest in creating a modern-day song based on the "psychedelic era of the 60s/70s, PM me.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some of them are psychedelic songs and others, the majority, are mostly from the era.

Good music.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The "Count Five" was one of my favorite psychedelic bands way back then.
This is one of my favorite songs from their first album "Psychotic Reaction".
Can you guess why?

They're Gonna Get You

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That is my thinking also, Herb. Not that I have ever dug very deep into the meaning of psychedelic. I suppose it could be construed to imply a particular period in time.

I took a pretty good look at the structure of many of the songs and played along with some of them. Some were not so easy to play, requiring guitar fills between the beats.

They run the gamut from simple to complex but are recognizable for those times. I think many of them were good music, and much can be learned from playing them.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Can you guess why?

They're Gonna Get You

LOL...your wife may be dropping you off at the front steps, along with your suitcase...lol

I guess for a garage band from San Jose Ca., a "Psychotic Reaction" could be pretty normal...lol

Running away now from the flack I will get from the nanny state people...lol

I like "Pretty Big Mouth" from them after I went and looked them up.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good Great music for sure.
When I think Psychodelic Rock, The Strawberry Alarm Clock comes to mind. This was/is one of my favorites.
But these guys look too clean-cut to be the hippies I remember smile

Incense and Peppermints

Here's another good one.

Green Tambourine

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage" from The Dark Side Of The Moon album always had me wondering what kind of stuff they were on.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
1967 seems to be an exceptional year for this form of music. I think I said that...lol

The Strawberry Alarm Clock was formed in 1967. I played along with two of their songs today. I probably would not have wanted to play Incense and Peppermints in the early 70s, thinking I was too cool for such nonsense. I have outlived my youthful arrogance and learned a thing or two.

I am unsure what year I first listened to them, but they were often on the radio in the 1970s.

Notice the tapping on the Gibson Les Paul in the Green Tambourine video. Wow, and we all thought Eddie Van Halen invented that...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage" from The Dark Side Of The Moon album always had me wondering what kind of stuff they were on.

lysergic acid diethylamide most likely Trev!...lol

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor, but everything got better...lol

You raise the blade, you make the change, and guess what? They rearranged me till I am sane...lol

I have told this story before, but I am an old guy, so I get to repeat myself...lol
The short version. I got invited on stage to be backed up by Eric Johnson and his band to play Brain Damage. Yes, The Cliffs Of Dover guy. Then we got to talk the next day at the Department Of Moter Vehicles, standing in line...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Can you guess why?
They're Gonna Get You

A brilliant garage psych band Mario...love 'em.

There was a lot of bubblegum psych or psychpop in the late 60s as the system, crashed into, & cashed in. Lots of bands tried their hand at it too...Status Quo's psych album is quite good fun though the Pictures of Matchstick Men does point to it being heavily manicured for the charts.1910 Fruitgum Company, Lemon Pipers et al. Some great stuff from them though.

This is, along with punk & new wave, amongst my favourite flavours.

From the prog psych of Pink Floyd & the Greek psych of Will-O-The-Wisp to the garage gems of the sort that made it into the Nuggets Pysch box as well as those that crossed over like LOVE. I occasionally dabble in writing songs that 'sort of" fit the label. My most recent forays have been into Pink Floydish tones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyXEyh0h2Uo&list=PLkNwHzsyYJ16xYNhhLISgMYzXY_AbCLfp

I have quite a bundle of music on CD & LP from the era & genre. I'm not 100% sold on the current modern variant of King Gizzard Wizzard or Tame Impala though they are another branch on the tree and worth listening to. I still haven't managed to grab hold of the garage psych vibe in my writing though...I think it's mostly my guitar playing that holds me back on that.

The 2000s brought some lovely sunshine psych pop from the likes of The Cosmic rough Riders & Teenage Fan Club...

Last edited by rayc; 05/20/23 06:33 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pink Floyd made a career writing songs about their guitarist Sid who was a victim of his own use of psychedelic drugs, specifically LSD.

It was a very sad situation but it sure made for some epic music.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned these guys.
The kiddies are certainly diggin the sound.

China Cat

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Pink Floyd made a career writing songs about their guitarist Sid who was a victim of his own use of psychedelic drugs, specifically LSD.

It was a very sad situation but it sure made for some epic music.

When Trev made a comment about Brain Damage, I was joking about the LSD issue. I actually did not know about Sid's history. Based on the lyrical context of much of their music, it is not surprising.

LSD was a very common drug in the late 60s and early 70s. When I went exploring psychedelic music, I had forgotten the connection.

Where is the flashback they promised me?...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, Bass Thumper, for reminding me!

For many people, the Grateful Dead was a lifestyle. Following the band around the country was what large numbers of people did.

I was never a "Dead Head," but I always liked Dire Wolf and Casey Jones. Driving that train, high on Cocaine, Casey Jones, you better watch your speed.

LOL...now I have to pick up my guitar and see if I still remember how to play it...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I checked the style list for most of the songs above...oooooh, very, very poor results...mostly "Lite Pop". The options thrown up were uniformly awful and approached neither the style nor sound let alone the intent. Even the fabulous garage of The Kingsmen's Louie Louie was listed as Lite Pop.
It was far easier to create a style than waste time exploring and taste testing the junk offered.

Last edited by rayc; 05/23/23 10:27 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
I checked the style list for most of the songs above...oooooh, very, very poor results...mostly "Lite Pop". The options thrown up were uniformly awful and approached neither the style nor sound let alone the intent. Even the fabulous garage of The Kingsmen's Louie Louie was listed as Lite Pop.
It was far easier to create a style than waste time exploring and taste testing the junk offered.

This is not good news.
I wonder if PG Music is doing research to allow a style to be created in realtime on the users computer when given an audio file as an input.

For example, imagine how cool it would be to feed an algorithm an MP3 file of Incense and Peppermints and a BiaB style with the appropriate instruments, rhythm and playing qualities would be returned ready for you to input your chord progression.

My guess is that someone somehere at some company is working on this.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I listened to a lot of what people classed as psychedelic, but to me it was all just rock music. Hendrix, later day Beatles, Airplane, Floyd, Doors... a lot had to do with how deep the lyrics were and whether they were trippy enough to make you think. And of course the LSD connection. Clothing that was considered weird at the time, art on album covers... Those were my mid to late teen years and I had tons of those albums that I wish I still had. It ran alongside the British Invasion years so closely that I had records in crates separated by the turntable so British music was in one stack and psychedelic was in the other. And a 3rd stack for heavier stuff, soul and blues. BS&T were right around then, The Blue Project, Mayall, Cream... many of them could have been in all 3 stacks!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Psychedelic Rock...The 13th Floor Elevators

The Elevators were the first band to refer to their music as psychedelic rock, with the first known use of the term appearing on their business card in January 1966.

These guys were from Austin, Texas. I used to see them from time to time in Houston. They used to play "Eight Miles High" by the Byrds. I think I learned that song from them.

Psychedelic music has a wide range of styles and genres often used in an attempt to describe or enhance the use of psychedelic drugs, which were legal in the beginning.

I have been doing a lot of research on this subject. It is much more complex and had a much more significant effect on music going forward from that time period than I was aware of.

We can write about all this, but it is likely impossible to put into words what it actually felt like to listen to this music live in that time period and observe all that was going on. There where new expressions based on older expressions like "far out man" that took on new meanings, meaning beyond just the words. Some of those idioms became cultural identification markers used by the counter culture with significance in the production of visual art.

There were guys in Texas who got sent to the Huntsville Texas State Penitentiary for terms of forty years for smoking pot, mostly black guys. It has the most active execution chamber in the United States.

The people of the counter-culture that produced psychedelic music were largely responsible for more moderate changes that eventually ocured to the laws concerning marijuana.

The whole psychedelic aspect of music/art/counter couture is related to LSD and to two or three other related drugs. We made all these drugs ilegal which is not surprising, though they did little damage.

Some years later we let the legal drug companies sell millions of opiods for billions of dollars and kill hundreds of thousands of people. Way to go, Unkle Sam!

I guess we now have come full circle as the VA is now experimenting with psychedelic drugs to treat people with PTSD.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Psychedelic Rock...The 13th Floor Elevators
There were guys in Texas who got sent to the Huntsville Texas State Penitentiary for terms of forty years for smoking pot, mostly black guys.

Well know story, (well, I've known about it for tonks so it can't be a secret), & a decentish doco on Utub to expand a little:
"The Elevators were vocal proponents of marijuana and psychedelic drug use,[11] and were subject to extra attention from law enforcement agencies. In 1969, Erickson was arrested for possession of a single marijuana joint in Austin. Facing a potential ten-year incarceration, Erickson pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to avoid prison. He was first sent to the Austin State Hospital. After several escapes, he was sent to the Rusk State Hospital in Rusk, Texas, where he was subjected to more electroconvulsive therapy and Thorazine treatments, ultimately remaining in custody until 1972. During his time at Rusk, he continued writing songs and poetry. Family and friends managed to smuggle out some of these poems and, in 1972, self published the book Openers, intending to use the proceeds to hire a lawyer."

or

Not comprehensive, not broad, basically a set of opinions, but he does cover some of the important stuff:

Last edited by rayc; 05/25/23 04:35 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I went down a rabbit hole trying to find something that'd service a garage or pop psych song.
Garage, generally, is pretty poorly served:
Them's Gloria isn't listed, Patti Smith's version is but is rated as blues. Laura Brannigan's version of Umberto Tozzi and Giancarlo Bigazzi's song is though.
I managed to cobble something together that had some "tough" guitars, a touch of organ, was spritely as garage usually was &, because it was a pop psych trope then & now I suppose, sitar. I used some of the chromaticism that psych seems to like as well as "surprise" shots, holds etc.
Personally I'd dump the sitar, replace the bass and guitars - though perhaps keep the lead - but that's me.
Here's the SGU:
https://we.tl/t-lnJpeyIamO

It's pretty easy to get a prog/psych, and even psych jam band, thing in BIAB as Hazy and other solos work a treat, but less so the garage & pop variants.

Last edited by rayc; 05/29/23 08:46 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,001
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186