Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
New Ways of Doing Things, Quantum Leaps in Thinking.
It's all too slow like watching paint dry, year in year out frown
Get the software sorted out so functions and features can be easily implemented and released regularly at the same crossplatform time, not at just xmas time for Win and midi year for Mac.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
+1

Though I have quite a lot of sympathy for where I think PGM presently are with the software.

About 15 years ago now I built an application primarily for me as a test harness for a design for a client. I used one of my preferred RAD (rapid applications development) tools to do that. When we went to approvals testing, I expanded the test tool to include automated test runs to speed up the testing process. Later the client needed to do some admin, so I enhanced the tool some more. Then we did some post-release tests to help find a temerature-related issue, and some linearity checking, and some version management, and a different flavour for a German client of my client, and so on. The RAD tool dropped out of popularity, though has since been resumed, but it's morphed quite a bit in the mean time, and sometimes does unexpected things. 15 years down the line I rather wish I'd used C/C++ and a graphics library, but in truth in the same circumstance I'd almost certainly have made the same decision. Despite the fact thatr many earlier features are obsolescent, I don't want to waste time and effort removing them. Neither the client, nor I, have a sane business model for a ground-up rewrite (it has only around half a dozen users), so I have an imperfect and over-cluttered application on which I really cannoty justify doing that work.

In some ways PGM and I are in similar positions. I cannot have a business plan to do the work, because there's no business. PGM very likely have difficulty formulating an alternative business model whilst working under the surface maintain their present business model.

I think you're right that then need a quantum leap or paradigm shift or fresh perspective or whatever other term one wants to use. I do though also see that that may be quite hard for them to do. It's a competitive world out there, they have a business to run, customners to support and staff to pay. It's a family business and very often those better support their customers and staff than do other types business.

It's notable that a number of other companies have changed, or tried to change, business model and the changes are sometimes met with anger from the customers ... I'm thinking particularly of the subscription model that some are trying. Selling the content rather than the tool has attractions, but I have to say that personally I can find myself irritated by the edless "now you need this sound" posts from companies that work that way.

My own experience of starting-over on something that has now become "not the best way I could have done this" has generally been good. For the new version I know better what's needed, know better how to do things, know better what works well and what would be better done differently. But BIAB is quite a large and complex application and ground-up revist would be pretty scary. I'll also add that I have only done ground-up revisits a few times and maybe I've been fortunate ... others may have found it very painful. I have only my own experiences from which to judge.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes it's all a dilemma. As I said before this future is most likely in the BBPlugin as it uses JUCE so you have the Win Mac version at the same time, it can be made to have all the current function contained within the crossplatform code rather than using the old Biab app in the background with all it's limitations. Having crossplatform RT RD etc.. installers using a crossplatform compressed and uncompressed audio format. This can be built on over time as you have a Plugin but also a Plugin Standalone so functions can be gradually transferred over to the JUCE crossplatform Plugin\Standalone.
The old Biab app should not be holding back the potential of the crossplatform Plugin\Standalone, that's craziness.
With JUCE you could have a Linux version also.

This is from the Sync VST for Biab thread buy is relevant to this thread.
Originally Posted By: musocity
There has been so much valuable info posted here over 3 years.
It should be a simple thing to implement for users that want to sync all the features of Biab with any DAW.

To get all the Biab features in an actual Plugin you would need a crossplatform programming language like JUCE to allow the code to be used in a standalone Win Mac version and a Plugin Win Mac version.
This was suggested back in 2015 for that very reason.

Here we are 8 years later with BB & The Workarounds still.
It was bad enough going all those years trying workarounds for the missing VstTimeInfo that syncs vst's like Ezdrummer to the host.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
With JUCE you could have a Linux version also.

That would be nice, but I'll not be holding my breath.

Funnily enough after my post I've just this moment started up that old application of mine again for some hardware-change testing.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If it's a Windows app chances are it will be ok but if it's a Mac app you have no hope as you would need to update the app every update and OS change for the rest of your life.
So many Mac programmers are being pulled out of retirement villages to reprogram their old popular apps so they work on this weeks apple.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
If it's a Windows app chances are it will be ok but if it's a Mac app you have no hope as you would need to update the app every update and OS change for the rest of your life.
So many Mac programmers are being pulled out of retirement villages to reprogram their old popular apps so they work on this weeks apple.

I generally design the application on Linux, then polish for Windows as that's where most clients use things. I've written stuff that way that's been run on a Mac, but I've never actually used a Mac myself. I almost always start platform-agnostic if I can. There are lots of cross-platform compilable scripting languages. Selecting the right one is sometimes the trickiest bit. smile This particular one's in Tcl/Tk, built with vTcl and compiled using ActiveState's older tools.

I have a retired friend who writes Cobol (why use nasty concise C when you could write a whole novel laugh ) and he's forever being asked to work on things ... usually banks, so usually excellent money.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a quantum leap in action:

Zoom++

Reaper is loading BBoutput.txt with the exact same tracks and sections from the track data instantly.
Giving total editing control to the user that Biab, RealBand and BBPlugin lacks.
Having a BBoutput.txt in C:\bb\Data with all the track data for all tracks will give a quantum leap
for those that want to work this way rather than forcibly holding users back in the past to work in a really old frustrating, creativity killing way ?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
The problem must be the lack of universality in this addition.

Why do it ONLY in Reaper?

It's obvious that it's a huge leap forward but if PG does not validate it there must be reasons?

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MoultiPass
The problem must be the lack of universality in this addition.

Why do it ONLY in Reaper?

It's obvious that it's a huge leap forward but if PG does not validate it there must be reasons?

Nothing else works with wma. You could maybe do it with Studio One but you need wav.
How many users have Reaper compared to Biab or any other DAW ? The only thing it would do is sell more Biab if it was made to integrate with Reaper.

I have seen PG fight change so many times over the years but eventually down the track they realize and implement things. I remember users asking for a PDF manual to see all the things Biab can do before buying (this was when every single DAW had a PDF manual download), so I just uploaded one but PG deleted it, can you download PDF's now ?
It's the same deal with so many things over the years, once they wake up and see, then users get these things. It's just a very slow long drawn out process.......
They don't venture out of their little world in the corner of the internet to know what's going on in the outside world.
How many employees at PG are working day in day out in a studio environment adding extra instrument tracks to other session ? how many are working in a creative environment where a smooth easy non frustrating workflow is needed ?
If they were you would see it go way ahead because of experiential knowledge.
I think it's always been a "FUN" thing for them, that's why it had cartoon EGA graphics for so long.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,658
Posts735,502
Members38,527
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173