Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Worth a read but I have zero interest in defending what he wrote. smile Have at it.

https://www.bmi.com/news/entry/the-1-mistake-writers-and-artists-make

Bud

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Brace yourself for another exciting episode of PG Music Retirement Village Rec Room debates!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Brace yourself for another exciting episode of PG Music Retirement Village Rec Room debates!

That is funny stuff...laugh out loud!

Now, if someone would just wipe the drool off my chin and remind me what we are talking about...lol

Oh, now I remember.

If the BMI person is correct in all the assumptions, that is a pretty tall order to comply with.

But...

Let's just say for the moment that somehow I did that.

Let's just say that somehow I was able to convey my song idea to a super-skilled professional vocalist.

Let's just assume I was able to convey my musical ideas to highly skilled studio musicians.

Let's just say the BMI guy said WOW!!

Then what? What does that guarantee?

I wrote the song for Taylor Swift. What do you think the chances of her singing it are?

As you can see, there is a long and winding road to Nashville and the penthouse that she lives in there, or anyone else for that matter. There are an incalculable number of twists and turns on that road.

After all that immense amount of work and good luck, BMI still can not guarantee you have a hit on your hands.

The takeaway from the BMI video is writing great songs is anything but easy. Getting past the gatekeepers is difficult at best.

If you happen not to know, BMI has a website and there are many interesting articles on its home page.

bmi.com

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 06/13/23 11:55 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

https://irenejackson.com/songblog/how-much-money-does-a-songwriter-make/

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=513590

Now let me guess, if I pay to read this author's book, or go to a seminar, then I too can be one of the 75 people out of 50 million trying to get a cut???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

And If I am not the artist's brother or producer the odds are............

.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001???

Would I be better off as an Indie artist writing the best songs I can that I want to write and doing my own thing with shows and indie releases instead of dropping acid and thinking someone is going to take my whiskey song over at Warner Chappell???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

And I wonder if the percentages have dropped since Irene wrote her article?

Wait!

They have puddin' in the rec room!! I better get my walker and get shufflin,

I think I see my old buddy....John...think his name was John...John...John...John, John John,

Oh hell, not even he can remember, what did I say? Where is my pill!!!!!

Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

ROFL!!! Reading debates between seniors in this forum is more fun than watching a Disney movie while drinking Bud Light.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I've actually had a sit down meeting with Jason back in 09 where he listened to my music. I won't recount here what he told me..... It wasn't bad....

I didn't, however, score a publishing deal out of it.

I think I have at least one of his books somewhere around the studio. I have Pattison, Rogers, Blume, Marino, Frederick, Anderson and a few others on my shelves for reference and reading. You can learn something from everyone.

Who decides what that "WOW" factor is in the song? I believe it is the audience, the listeners. Not necessarily the guardians of the gates.

If you haven't watched the movie "I can only Imagine".... you should. It goes along nicely with what JB is saying in the article. Mercy Me was a good band with good songs but when they played a showcase for the guardians of the gates in Nashville, they were told.... You're not good enough. Not interested. The option was.... get better or get out of the business. They came back with the song which is the title of the movie.... the rest,as they say is history. It only takes ONE SONG to make a career.

AS NSAI is fond of saying.... It Begins With A Song. The question is.... can you write it?

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I am reminded of Sugarloaf’s other hit from 1975.

Don’t Call Us, We’ll Call You

For the youngsters, their massive hit from five years earlier was “Green Eyed Lady”.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
According to Jason, the "#1 Mistake Writers and Artists Make" is writing a song that that's not exceptionally better than the competition.

Jason calls it the "wow" factor.

But according to him, it isn't a single thing. The opening line has to be exceptionally better than the competition. The lyrics have to be uniquely better than the competition. The concept has to be fresher than the competition.

The list goes on.

Certainly, there is useful information in the article.

But the title? Clickbait.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

I went to the Billboard 100 List on Spotify to find something that was not horrible and was hoping to go on a rant...but wait!!!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6UeSakyzhiEt4NB3UAd6NQ

Luke Combs wrote a great new song called Fast Car.

I can't say enough good things about it!

It is a REAL song! What a hook! Great lyrics! Mezmerizing. Like it was written by a PRO. It even has a slightly feminine touch to it. I can't explain. Just amazing.

Man oh man oh man, real songwriting is BACK.

Ain't it fantastic!

Who knew they would start writing great songs like this again!

What happened?? Is the music industry saved???

He sure didn't make any mistakes with this one.

In fact, he showed us how it is done!

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I went to the Billboard 100 List on Spotify to find something that was not horrible and was hoping to go on a rant...but wait!!!

I can't say enough good things about it!.

Yes, Tracy Chapman wrote a great song in 1988. Billboard estimates that she's received over half a million in royalties from Luke Combs's cover.

I love Larry Klein's bass on that album.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The idea that there is little to no "good" music being written is not accurate.

First, the music that a lot of us disdain is highly popular with a large amount of people. Music continues to change like it always has.

There is music being written that adheres to our concept of what is "good." Luke Combs is only one example.

Thousands of songs are being written and it is a bit difficult to find the ones that meet a particular set of standards.

Here is a video of a young kid, perhaps 15 or 16 years old busking. This is Tim Newman. I have been following him since he was around 14.

https://youtu.be/VjSYlieqHiw

Here is one of his first original songs

https://youtu.be/LZWfPJOcJtU

He has gotten pretty well known and you can go google him to see what he is up to.

My advice to those of you who think all current music sucks is, go write a hit song that meets your standards.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Aw Billy, you need to relax and chill out son.

Get yourself another pull on that bottle of happy juice.

You'll be awright.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I started out on Burgandy but wound up on the harder stuff. "Happy juice" just doesn't cut it...lol

There was something on the nightly news about this eleven-year-old girl who thought Micheal Murphy sang like an angel. She did not know he was an old guy! She finally got to talk to him after the CBS news story.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Writing based on the rule book or writing to meet someone else's expectations are fine & dandy if that's where you want to be.
The Comb's cover is pretty much note for note though the addition of steel is unnecessary other than to connect with his genre touchstones - it lacks the great voice and sincerity of Tracy's original and he pushes his vocal distortion a bit too much but so long a TC gets some $ all is good.
Deep satire David, deep and missed by many.

Last edited by rayc; 07/08/23 12:10 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rayc
…but so long a TC gets some $ all is good.

Oh yea, she's real happy.

Songwriting
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
My advice to those of you who think all current music sucks is, go write a hit song that meets your standards.

Yep. Go put your money where your mouth is.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

Indeed.

I've just a few days ago come back from Swanage Jazz Festival here in the UK, which obviously informs my own tastes. Others will have quite different tastes. These were three bands from whom we bought CDs, much of their output is new compositions:
Invisible Apples
Yetii
Hip Harp Collective

I've never heard any on radio, nor seen any on TV but these and many others are out there in clubs and at festivals and concerts.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

Indeed.

I've just a few days ago come back from Swanage Jazz Festival here in the UK, which obviously informs my own tastes. Others will have quite different tastes. These were three bands from whom we bought CDs, much of their output is new compositions:
Invisible Apples
Yetii
Hip Harp Collective

I've never heard any on radio, nor seen any on TV but these and many others are out there in clubs and at festivals and concerts.

It's the local music scene where the innovation still exists. In this area of NC, there are 2 local original music playing bands that I am aware of. I know the guitarist and drummer in both of the bands. They are regularly appearing with other original bands at venues and shows. One of the bands is a heavy metal band.... they call it "sludge metal" and the other is more pop/progressive. Both appear to have a sizeable and growing cult following.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It's the local music scene where the innovation still exists.

I'm sure that's a pretty sound observation.

From my own background, primarily in Engineering, but also with a good dusting of the sciences, another factor for innovation is cross-pollination of ideas. Ideas that come into one field, initially completely out of kilter with another field, and then a crazy idea becomes an exciting idea.

I've just realised that two of those groups are from the same city (Bristol, UK).

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I can't say enough good things about it!

It is a REAL song! What a hook! Great lyrics! Mezmerizing. Like it was written by a PRO. It even has a slightly feminine touch to it. I can't explain. Just amazing.

Man oh man oh man, real songwriting is BACK.

Ain't it fantastic!

Who knew they would start writing great songs like this again!

What happened?? Is the music industry saved???

He sure didn't make any mistakes with this one.

In fact, he showed us how it is done!

That there is some slick undercover slamming.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Songwriting
K
Journeyman
Journeyman
K
I didn't call them and they still haven't called me.... Go figure....

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,681
Posts735,871
Members38,538
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb, adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen
38,537 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177