Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Best of YouTube
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
For those with a little spare time on their hands:

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting technology. The video showed the easy part. Someone had to do the design work in some software like AutoCAD; then a CAM program had to be used to generate the Gcode to tell the printer what to do, I assume. I do not own a 3D printer, so I am only assuming the process.

The acoustic design in the software he was using.

There is a ton of work involved in this project. Several complex skill sets would be needed.

This makes my electrostatic speaker idea look pretty ancient!...lol

There have been some unusual electrostatic speakers built.

See photos here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=electros...51&biw=2048

I am having enough trouble making three-string guitars...lol

Thanks Trev

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 06/18/23 03:06 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Best of YouTube
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
I am having enough trouble making three-string guitars...lol

grin grin grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Best of YouTube
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
There is a ton of work involved in this project. Several complex skill sets would be needed.

I think that if you buy the 3D-printer files (including the DSP config) from him and use the recommended parts, they should be fairly repeatable without the builder having to do any significant design work. He's done that graft already.

As to how they sound, one rather has to trust what he says and the limited ability of YouTube to demonstrate them. They appear quite good, certainly for the size and cost. The addition of the curved cheeks suggest he understands sound pretty well.

There's no information about if/how the water in plaster dries out and/or if the moisture in it has any consequences in the short or long term. I guess that it stays moist long term and it either doesn't matter of is part of the damping.

They're neatly done and appear quite impressive. The "sub-woofers" have a long throw and a good deep roll-surround, so will certainly try, but inevitably of course, they can't shift a significant volume of air, so they can't be all that loud at the lower frequencies. Some would find they lack volume.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Gordon

I looked at the 3D printer and some software you can get for free. It seems that many people are only running code that others have created.

The free software looks like one could design some useful parts. I do not know what tolerances one could get from one of these machines.

One thing I saw was how to make a gear. That looked pretty simple. Machining a gear is anything but simple on a mill.

I have a small four-axis CNC mill and a CNC lathe.

I worked for about six months in a machine to try to learn some real-world skills on a Haas mill.

I discovered that there is no end to the machines and tools needed to make real stuff. It also became apparent that even with money to burn, commercial CNC machines presented a new problem about every two minutes. I have an engineering friend who has put together a prototype shop and spent enormous amounts of money so he can build stuff he has an interest in. He sold his company and retired at forty, and cashed out with $650,000,000 dollars, so money is not an issue. I have access to his shop, and we have made some stuff together, but there are always problems to solve. Terry is a highly skilled C programmer and knows Solid Works really well. He is a super-intelligent guy, but this CNC world had kicked both of us in the butt on a regular basis.

At that time, I was considering a 3D printer. I got a little burned out on the CNC world. I have more time now, so I may dive back in.

I have wanted to make an R2D2-style robot that played a mechanical guitar for a long time and a robot drummer.

Who knows if I will live long enough to get to and finish those projects?

I still lack fundamental computer programing skills. I have looked at C language in several forms and Python. That is a bit of a steep learning curve for an old guy!

Who knows which way the wind will blow?

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 06/23/23 03:15 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Best of YouTube
Expert
Expert
I looked at the 3D printer and some software you can get for free.

There's plenty out there, but how good or bad each application is is hard to say without asking the right people or trying it out, which will likely prove hard work.

It seems that many people are only running code that others have created.

That's not really surprising as there's quite a bit of learning needed for any CAD system, which is what one needs to make ones own models. I believe that's what the speaker design offers. I use CAD mostly for PCB design, which has additional and different complexities, but these days I do so little that even remembering how to do some things is hard ... I just don't now do them often enough.

The free software looks like one could design some useful parts. I do not know what tolerances one could get from one of these machines.

The tolerances will depend on all sorts of things, including the material one is printing.

One thing I saw was how to make a gear. That looked pretty simple. Machining a gear is anything but simple on a mill.

I've long admired the double-chevron gear designed('discovered'?) by Andre Citroen and said to be the basis of the Citroen logo.

I have a small four-axis CNC mill and a CNC lathe.

I would imagine that you could use the mill to cut most parts of the speaker directly, though whether the work in translating outweighs the cost of 3d-printer and materials I couldn't say.

I have looked at C language in several forms and Python. That is a bit of a steep learning curve for an old guy!

It is and there are many "gotchas" too. I've been programming for about 50 years now, so I know most of them and don't often get caught out, but I well remember spending many hours, years ago, chasing bugs that today I rarely get, mostly because I've learned how to avoid them in the first place. And I still have bugs.

Somewhere(!) I have a, sadly rather blurry, photograph of a Steam-Punk R2D2, complete with wood shuttering around the body, loads of polished copper and brass and a little 'coal fire' effect in the base.

One of the things 3D printers can do, of course, is closed or near-closed objects that would be impossible to machine in one piece.

Best of YouTube
Expert
Expert
This is horribly off topic but:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

Best of YouTube
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Gordon

It actually never occurred to me to make the robot out of wood. That was good information.

Back to the general subject, I do have in mind to make a pair of electrostatic speakers. Part of that is a high-quality woodworking project. I have been slowly collecting some woodworking equipment. Some things like the table saw are good machines. Other things are make-do tools.

The video Trev posted was interesting to me, even though I have no interest in making that sort of speaker.

The three-string guitar projects that I am currently dealing with are the first "fun" woodworking projects.

I need a band saw and a jointer. There are good ones used for sale around my area. I will find one soon.

I need a ten car garage and a one-bedroom house. Somehow my wife does not share my thinking...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Best of YouTube
Expert
Expert
Some things like the table saw are good machines. Other things are make-do tools.

A couple of good routers and some carefully made jigs can do an awful lot.
I have a 1/2" ELU and a small Makita kit with a selection of bases.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,549
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173