Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#776841 09/25/23 04:17 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Background
A couple weeks ago I happened to open up BiaB just to noodle around and I noticed that a song file was auto-saved. (I must have experienced an OS update or a power failure days earlier). So I opened the file and discovered I had completely forgotten about a song I started which only contained the chorus. So I picked up where I left off intending to finish it in Studio One. This occurred on Saturday night, hence the song title.

Special thanks to Deb who explained how to “pause” the band in Studio One which led to me figuring out how to do this in BiaB. And thanks to Dan who put a fine point on it by explaining it’s called “stop-time”.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=102408&Number=776237#Post776237

It turned out that finishing it in Studio One was too difficult, so BiaB came to the rescue smile

Technicals
100 BPM, Key Em

BiaB:
2617:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Funk16thsWahWah Ev16 100
2618:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Funk16thsMutedWahWah Ev16 100
2616:Guitar, Electric, Background FunkSingleNoteWah Ev16 100
1408:Piano, SynthLayer, Rhythm Soul70sHeld Ev16 100
1949:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist PopRootsyJohn Ev16 100
1080:Piano, Electric, Soloist SmoothJazzCool delay Sw16 100
587:Sax, Tenor, 2-Beat Rock Ev 110
RealDrums in style:FunkHalfNotePulse: a: Snare, Kick b: Busy Kick, Snare

Me:
Bells & Trumpet: Korg Keyboard
Bass Guitar: My Fender Jazz Bass

Saturday Night Funk Down

Thanks for listening if you do and comments always welcome; I learn much from those that comment.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bass Thumper,

I listened to your funky song that was developed in such a strange way, as you described.
Funny story by the way.
The song has very nice elements, but also some that are a bit monotonous, starting half way.
The sax and trumpet were very nice and did their best to lift the song, but I fear it wasn't enough.
I was thinking of what could have caused that feeling I had.
Of course the absence of singing mattered a lot, but also your bass guitar (now it's getting tricky for me, I fear).
I think you need to play a more interesting bass line then what you did.
And last but not least, I think some drum fills can also help.

Altogether, not a bad song at all, but it could do with some improvements to make it more interesting/dynamic.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one.
I thought the electric piano lead parts were a little lost...it'd be worth experimenting with running that as mono, dropping a high pass over it, (sometimes the piano bass & your bass compete for space), and centring it so it's not competing.
Your bass part is fine but could probably use a little EQ tweaking to get a "funkier" tone.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pleasant bed, but like Hans I started thinking "It's not over yet?" about halfway through. wink

The parts all work, but to keep my squirrel-sized brain engaged in an instrumental longer than two minutes, it needs to have a bit more direction.

But add a vocal and a funky bass to it, and I'll be with you all the way!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, isn't it funny how some songs arrive via strange and weird processes? Been there - had things like that happen to me!

I didn't find anything really wrong with on this one. Maybe a little more repetitious sax part, but that is only my opinion. You don't need a vocal to have a great song.

Good mix.

I liked it.

PS - I forgot to add that this sounds like an after hour jam session.

Last edited by MarioD; 09/26/23 12:41 PM.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pleasant laid back funky instrumental.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Altogether, not a bad song at all, but it could do with some improvements to make it more interesting/dynamic.

Thanks for the listen and feedback Hans. Some of this is personal taste and preference. By today's microwave time standards, I like a long song, 4 to 5 minutes and even longer. Without time, subtle differences in the phrases (in this case the sax) can't be heard. I know people disagree, that's fine.

That said, my bass lines can definately be improved. I took up music late in life and am not a pro bass player by any stretch, but I'm having fun and learning all the time.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bass Thumper

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

Thanks for the listen and feedback Hans. Some of this is personal taste and preference. By today's microwave time standards, I like a long song, 4 to 5 minutes and even longer. Without time, subtle differences in the phrases (in this case the sax) can't be heard. I know people disagree, that's fine.

That said, my bass lines can definately be improved. I took up music late in life and am not a pro bass player by any stretch, but I'm having fun and learning all the time.

I am glad you looked this way on my remarks. Of course I don't want to be negative, always looking on how you/I can improve things.
I've learned by trial and error and had hoped people gave me ideas how to improve things. Some did, some don't.
I try to, but know how sensitive it can be. Especially because i'm from a country known by their blunt people, although we think we are only straight ;-)

Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Nice one.
I thought the electric piano lead parts were a little lost...it'd be worth experimenting with running that as mono, dropping a high pass over it, (sometimes the piano bass & your bass compete for space), and centring it so it's not competing.
Your bass part is fine but could probably use a little EQ tweaking to get a "funkier" tone.

Let me just say that I'm already an aerospace and medical device engineer, but if I follow your advice I think I'll end up as a mixing engineer as well!

I already updated my bass EQ procedure per the "Tradecraft" thread where you suggested I compress before EQing; and I'm detecting a slight improvement because of that suggestion.

Now you are enlightening me on EQing the tracks exported from BiaB; this would never have crossed my mind; I've always just used them "raw"; perhaps assuming they are already EQed. I'll put this "high pass instruments like e-piano" idea in my tool box for sure. This does make sense to prevent the low end from competing with my bass. And yes, I'm also trying to separate the solo instruments in the stereo field via panning.

Needless to say, I've got my plate plenty full with just composing, playing and arranging; mixing is a whole 'nother world. So thanks for your inputs.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We enjoy funk and hear a lot of it on Daryl’s House.
You have captured the vibe and it would be nice backing for a good funk singer and some hot solo guys/gals! Your experimentation in different genres is hopefully a lot of fun. We certainly enjoy branching out and learn from each effort. So good bass work on the funk vibe and we enjoyed it. A few mix thoughts follow.

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
I've always just used them "raw"; perhaps assuming they are already EQed.

Yes, mixing is another whole world but it’s a means of well presenting one’s musical efforts to others (short of gigging). If you export tracks for your DAW you have an option to render them dry, i.e., no fx or panning or eq. You can also remove it with the BiaB mixer. All fx, including eq and reverb are typically added and tweaked to allow the track to “work” within the context of your mix. Any track that has had fx applied before you add yours can be problematic.

Our productions are very sparse track wise but we spend a lot of time getting them to cooperate with one another. I like to render Bass RT's DI and then try out different amps and fx per the mix. Same with guitar RT's. Balancing the kick drum, bass and the lower end of a piano range drives me nuts sometimes. Likely because I really don’t like any mud in a mix. Finally and as you know Ray is the man on bass fx so I’ll shut up. smile

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Pleasant bed, but like Hans I started thinking "It's not over yet?" about halfway through. wink

The parts all work, but to keep my squirrel-sized brain engaged in an instrumental longer than two minutes, it needs to have a bit more direction.

But add a vocal and a funky bass to it, and I'll be with you all the way!

So sorry it didn't keep your brain engaged David. Not really sure what you mean by "it needs to have a bit more direction". There's an intro, chorus, verse, key change and outro.

As for adding a funky bass, that may take much more study. I've been playing bass now for not yet 8 years; writing songs for less than half of that; still a youngster, I know. But I appreciate your comments.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Steve, isn't it funny how some songs arrive via strange and weird processes? Been there - had things like that happen to me!

I didn't find anything really wrong with on this one. Maybe a little more repetitious sax part, but that is only my opinion. You don't need a vocal to have a great song.

Good mix.

I liked it.

PS - I forgot to add that this sounds like an after hour jam session.

Many thanks for the listen and kind comments.
I agree, for some the sax may be a bit repetitive.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Pleasant laid back funky instrumental.

Peter

Thank you Peter. I appreciate your listen.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
BT,

A nice musical bed.
Mix sounds good to me.
Your bass sits in the mix nicely.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very pleasant funk tune with a laidback rhythm. Many instruments are lifted up on their turn nicely, definitely not boring - more like cruising on a Saturday night, not a clear direction where to go but the scenes are beautiful and calming, I surely enjoyed the drive smile The sax and the piano are like smooth breeze.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
BT,

A nice musical bed.
Mix sounds good to me.
Your bass sits in the mix nicely.

fj

Hey Floyd, many thanks for the listen and feedback.
The mix sounds good to me too, but I'm on so many learning curves my head is spinning smile

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very pleasant funk tune with a laidback rhythm. Many instruments are lifted up on their turn nicely, definitely not boring - more like cruising on a Saturday night, not a clear direction where to go but the scenes are beautiful and calming, I surely enjoyed the drive smile The sax and the piano are like smooth breeze.

Janne

Thanks for the listen and feedback Janne.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
There's nothing like finding a forgotten song.

That opening reminded me of watching a 70s cop flick.

Band sounds good, although my shot ears thought the piano could be brought down a hair.

You got that "stop" down pat.

I like the song. It's groovin'!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

You got that "stop" down pat.

I like the song. It's groovin'!

Hey Storm, many thanks for your comments.

Yep, I do think I learned how to do stop-time, in no small part from helpful folks here.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bass Thumper, I think your track has great potential. While I agree with some of the comments I think you're absolutely right that a lot of it comes down to taste and preference. An example is that Ezekiel's Storm wrote that the piano could have come down a hair, but I feel the opposite. I'd like to have seen more gain, particularly on the sax solo as solos should stand out. Even in a laid-back track like yours more gain adds feeling. I've so far only posted 4 or my instrumentals but in all of them everything stands out, even in my more 'laid-back' compositions like the recently posted "Loving You". Like you, I also like longer tracks, vocal or instrumental, but that's definitely preference. My priorities are composition, arrangement and getting the mixes right.

Some favourite Waoist Adages:
#1: Play on the Way.
#17: Ask not for whom the flower blooms, it blooms for you.
#69: Bring consciousness to it.
#74: On the road to effortlessness, effort must be made.
#105: Be Love Now, the rest will come on its own.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173