Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#773420 08/10/23 10:32 AM
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Question 1 is whether going up in level of software (and level of money) ups the number of available styles.

That was prompted by my going through country styles for about 90 minutes, previewing trying to find one that fits what I want to accomplish. I didn't find anything close.

Details. I would like to work up a backing track for Tanya Tucker's "It's A Little Too Late". In the style screens, where you can type in the name of a song and get options, I typed in that song name and got a pulldown that literally showed me "Tanya Tucker - It's a Little Too Late." When I clicked through that I got a list of 226 styles, none of which were ANYTHING CLOSE to the groove of that song that some would call swing and some would call shuffle. (Can someone try to tell me just from the title what a style called "Ol' Dusty Trails" is supposed to sound like? How about "Country Wasteland"? Or "Perky Swinging Songwriter"? Who names these styles anyway?)

Just an FYI. Hank Williams has been dead since 1953. Why do so many style names have simply "Hank" in the title? A good portion of your userbase likely have no idea who he was, and with the lack of interest in actually learning about music to a depth where the younger generation would go back into the dusty crates and find his albums, why is he even relevant to a level where so many styles have his name in them? How about some styles like Clarkson? Underwood? Paisley? Brooks? We are 23 years into the 2000s now and it's time for some fresh meat.

Take a listen to that Tanya Tucker song and see if you can come up with a style even remotely close. I know at least 5 people are going to say "Make your own style." Well, if the drums are wrong, and I don't play drums, how exactly would I do that? I have no interest in making styles (and no knowledge how to go about it). That's why I pay for this stuff. I want to write tracks without it becoming my new science project. The cross referencing between a style search criteria and the result that get spit out are actually humorous. To wit:

I just put in "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" and told it to find a style. The first one in the list was "Hang Ten Vintage Surf Rock". Really?

This area of this software is really lacking.

Get me going on real tracks. Mason (64) shows up 280 times. Darin Favorite (57) 146 times. Brother Oliver Gannon 115 times. Piano is pretty much Lorber, Jarvis, Miles Black and Mike Rojas. Is it just financial? Those old names that have been there since I started with this thing (13 years now?), meaning they have long since been bought and paid for. Do fresher faces want to charge so much for their time that getting some new blood isn't even in the scope of possibility because it will cost money?

All of those people are outstanding musicians. That's not the point. It's a new generation and a new breed of music. Let's get up to date here. Personally I don't care about the little tweaks to visuals, fixing some minor buried bug (that may matter to somebody else), or anything outside of having better real tracks and more styles that are actually distinct and more useful for 2023 music. Brent Mason was and still is great. But we have 3 or 4 times more of him than anybody else available already and its time for new stuff. Keith Urban ever been approached? Brad Paisley? Tom Bukovac? Bryan Sutton?

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/10/23 11:49 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
> I would like to work up a backing track for Tanya Tucker's "It's A Little Too Late". Take a listen to that Tanya Tucker song and see if you can come up with a style even remotely close.
> Brent Mason was and still is great. But we have 3 or 4 times more of him than anybody else available already and its time for new stuff.

The guitars on that original recording of Tanya Tucker “It’s a Little Too Late” we’re played by … Brent Mason
- so chances are good for finding a BiaB country shuffle style with Brent Mason RealTracks that works well with that!
- here’s a website where the guy teaches the lead to the tune https://countryguitarchops.com/product/little-too-late-guitar-lesson/

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you for responding Doctor Gannon.

Is what I am looking for shuffle or is it swing? Or is it shwing? Or swuffle? Ask 21 people what that groove is called and you get a vote of 11-10.

Brent did indeed play on that track, 30 years ago, but his parts don't make it a style. Roger Murrah and Pat Terry made it in a specific style. Trust me, Dr. Gannon, I spent 90 minutes sampling styles and nothing was even close. Though the style picker gave me suggestions, none of them were within 5 miles (8 kilometers for you) of correct. When the search algorithm actually lists that song by that artist, and none of the styles are even close, why bother?

Now THIS, I just had to do. You may have to zoom.

226 styles come back under the name and artist. The first 7 are Celtic?? Please tell me the connection that Ol' Tanya, from Seminole Texas, 25 miles from the New Mexico border, has to Celtic music. By the time I took out the styles that were natively far too fast or natively far too slow (to where they would sound horrible done at the 148 or so the song in question is, and the styles (like Celtic) that have no connection, I ended up with about 40, and not one of them worked. At all. There shows to be 7,175 styles. Many of them are _STYLENAMEv1, v2 and v3, close to the same thing with some small tweak.

Some of those styles that come up in searches are actually comical. Can that search algorithm be tightened up some so looking for a swing or a shuffle doesn't give us a surf beat? And who names those styles? I keep waiting to see names like "One bad apple" or "Gum on my tennis shoe". The last version showed 5 style picker enhancements, but no mention of new styles.

My original post included this.

"I just put in "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" and told it to find a style. The first one in the list was "Hang Ten Vintage Surf Rock". Really?" Surf rock? From Bert Bacharach?

The web site you linked to, well, I'll just say that I am not paying 20 bucks to listen to a guitar lick that I, with the ear I have, was able to play after hearing it once. To be fair, there honestly isn't much I'd pay 20 bucks for.

I have made some assumptions about the lack of enlargement of the style and track samples options that were all largely financial. I am not going to ask you anything about that in public view but I would SO value a brief private conversation about it. (I keep coming back to) Brent Mason, and his 288 samples, is now old news. Tom Bukovac, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley... there are some strong country players out there who would provide a much welcomed breath of fresh air if they would provide samples that we can turn into solos, though none of them would do it for $50 and a case of beer. (Well, Tom might!) I can only speak for me, and I can imagine that many would agree but never say this out loud for the same reason they wouldn't try to get behind the curtain to try and see the wizard (Because NOBODY gets to see the wizard), I but have heard just about all I want from that list of guitar players dominated by about 6-8 names.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Eddie,

When I search for that song, I don’t see celtic listed first. I likely have more styles installed.
I see
_ambush
_scoot
_get_out
_Cowherd
__harness

none of which are celtic. Some of those are from add-on styles disks like xtra or xpro.

Anyway, if you want a shuffle, just type in the word shuffle in the filter that you do get, and those celtic styles,will disappear.
You’ll see country shuffle styles like _roping, _cboogif, _boogbrt, _cswngmp, _cboogm3, _cboogm4, _conshps, _nworstx, oddstar

Lots of those sound good to me. Especially if you add a Brent Mason soloist like 1283, 4061, 2685, 1586,
If you still don’t like the list, change the tempo from 145 to 130.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I need to clarify that I ran that search like you did and got the same results, but to take that screen scrape I sorted them by genre so they were together.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is what sent me down the Tanya Tucker as recreated by Real Band rabbit hole. This is Brent Mason, Bryan Sutton and Tom Bukovac just hanging out and talking and that opening lick that Mason played came up.

The whole video is very entertaining but to hear the pertinent stuff go in to about 15 minutes.

+++ A Little Too Late +++ conversation.

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/12/23 02:37 PM.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
< "Take a listen to that Tanya Tucker song and see if you can come up with a style even remotely close. I know at least 5 people are going to say "Make your own style." Well, if the drums are wrong, and I don't play drums, how exactly would I do that?" >

BOOGBRT.Sty is close. The drums are wrong in the Style but I downloaded a free midi version of the song and imported the drums from that file and that made it very close and Useable. According to what I read about the song, it's considered a two-step. The Style will need a pedal steel and fiddle added to be more accurate to the record.

I filtered by the song and 'Brent' in the search filter that presented 49 results from the 10,656 styles in my StylePicker. BOOGBRT.Sty was second down the list.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-08-13 053039.jpg (463.79 KB, 72 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie i get ya, but i had to chuckle a bit at the dialog. You want to create a Tanya Tucker Tune from over 30 years ago but don't want to use Its from players from that era. I don't think Keith Urban is going to be much help on that tune, since he was just a wee lad!.

Anyway, just had to rib you a little on that one, here's hoping your new neighbors in Pittsburg are not reading this!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Old songs can always use a facelift. I am 4 songs into a project doing old songs in different grooves. My point about styles and solo samples for real tracks is that 288 guitar tracks are Brent Mason. Great player, but he is Brent Mason 288 times.

I will redo that TT song as country but with a little bit different arrangement. Old songs done in reggae, ska, metal, and boogie piano. I plan to "cosmic cowboy" that TT song up some.

As far as those Yinzers o'vair in Picksburg, I honestly think it's a great city. I have had a ton of fun o'vair, especially exploring the Strip District.

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/18/23 04:24 PM.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie how’s it going on this project? Here’s a thought why use styles at all if your working in RB start with a chord sheet for the song. Add a simple piano or strummed guitar similar to the one in Tanya song. Then search for a drum pattern to fit the bill filter towards country. Once you have guitar piano and drums add a bass. Now all you need is to decide if you want pedal steel, fiddle etc. in other words pick RTs separately.

(Oops do tell him, I just showed him how to create a style.) save as a style and call it Tanya1

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,661
Posts735,535
Members38,531
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
akbrpra, Benfil77, William L, gman97040, kadju
38,530 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173